Gaming Preferences on different platforms?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Pyperkub

Gaming Preferences on different platforms?

Post by Pyperkub »

Do you tend to pley different types of games on different platforms, or are your gaming habits relatively platform agnostic?

I've been wondering if I'm just old, or different, because I don't game on a phone, or at least what I'd consider video gaming.

Most of my gaming is on the console as a result of the Pandemic (pre-pandemic it was a pretty close mix between PC and Console), so my preferences are kind of like this:

PC - grand strategy games

Console - most games/gaming

Phone - time slicers such as threes or sudoku

Some of the gist of this discussion is because in the Pixel 6/6 Pro reviews, gaming performance is one of the things measured, and I generally skip over those.

OO'ers?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Re: Gaming Preferences on different platforms?

Post by coopasonic »

My alignment is very simple.

PC - everything
Console - PS exclusives
Phone - nothing (I have 2048 and Hill Climb Racing for pure boredom, waiting room moments if I don't have a book I want to read)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Back in the day I was very firm about only playing shooters on PC and not console. These days I can go either way, and in fact most of the time even when I'm playing on PC I'm using an Xbox controller.

I'm still primarily a PC gamer because my son took over the Xbox, but I don't care anymore. A game's a game - if it's fun who cares what platform it's on.

I don't do much mobile gaming, but that's because I'm rarely ever on the go. And when I am, I'm usually too busy to play anything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Back when I didn't have to share the TV, it was more about whether I felt like sitting at the desk with the better controls (usually), graphics, and options, or kicking back in a chair with my feet up, a giant screen, and loud speakers. I've played most genres on both, and if done right, they work either way.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I used to game primarily on PC, but have shifted to console whenever possible. For two main reasons:

1. I like playing on the big screen from the comfort of my Lay-Z-Boy.
2. I alternate between my PC and/or company laptop for 8-10 hours every single day for work. The thought of then turning right around and spending even more hours staring at the same screen to play games just kinda makes me want to puke.

I'll still play the occasional PC game (mainly MMO's or niche indie games that don't get released on console), but the shift to working from home during this pandemic has really seen my PC gaming time plummet. I just can't look at my PC screen any more after hours.

I've mostly given up on mobile gaming. There's a couple games that I'll still mess around with as timewasters (mainly Wordscapes), but I haven't gotten into a new mobile game in a couple years now. Everything on mobile feels like either a blatant cash grab, or a copy of a copy of a copy of games that I once thought were new and innovative but now just feel...tired.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Online FPS/ARPG with friends: PC
Deep RPGs: PC
Random solo stuff and coop with the kids: Console
Tablet: rogue-likes (Slay the Spire, etc)

My game time is very limited lately though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:33 am I'll still play the occasional PC game (mainly MMO's or niche indie games that don't get released on console), but the shift to working from home during this pandemic has really seen my PC gaming time plummet. I just can't look at my PC screen any more after hours.
I'm really glad this didn't happen to me. I think part of it may be that I have my work setup and gaming setup in completely different rooms. Also my work setup is a macbook pro connected to a monitor with no external kb or mouse and my gaming setup is more traditional so they just feel different.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cognizant

Post by Cognizant »

The platform doesn't matter for me if the game is nice, addictive and exciting. I used to play on arcade machines (not sure I call them correctly), PS1, Sega, Dandy, tetris, tamagochi, PC, mobile, VR and everything was cool if I found the game entertaining.