News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Torfish

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Torfish »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:48 pm Has anyone else watched Black Summer? I am not a big fan of the zombie genre, but I like the personal story vignette approach. Plus it is fairly realistic. For example: when an overweight guy spots Chekhov's Axe mounted on the wall. He grabs it and waits for a zombie. But instead of turning into Bruce Campbell, the axe gets knocked from his hands and he has to run.
I've seen it and liked it. It's a better than average show with good production. I'll continue watching if they make more seasons.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Not sure if there is a thread dedicated to Ozark, so I will post my comments here.

I finished watching the latest episodes. They do not disappoint and probably the strongest yet in the series. I love the show very much. The actors are awesome and perfect in just about every role. Jason Bateman, Julia Garner, and Laura Linney are great. You can tell that the last few episodes ooze with passion from everyone involved. Definitely not a letdown which is nice. The story is crazy of course and sometimes goes too crazy. But all in all the show is overall in my top 10.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:55 pm Yes, we had a whole thread. It would be best (IMHO) if you were a fan of SyFy's Z Nation as this show is technically a prequel.
Now watching Z Nation, so it was good to see the prequel first.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Regarding The Harder they Fall... gonna end up opening a can of worms again, but I've tried watching it twice and both times I can't make it more than 5 mins. The violence is so much at the forefront on this that it turns me the hell off. Blowing away an innocent woman at close range while the camera is close in on her nopes me the hell out. You people enjoy this shit? :ninja: :?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I doubt your post has to do with the violence in the film as its no more egregious than numerous other shows, movies and video games you've endorsed in the past.

Stop trolling and move on. Everyone else has.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, I'm serious. I wouldn't be trolling. I'm genuinely surprised people actually enjoy it. I felt it was way too much. Personally don't enjoy movies that are this over the top.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, not like Breaking Bad putting a severed head on a live turtle in the desert, or Game of Thrones with a painstakingly close up shot of a guy's head being crushed in a man's hands, or any of the numerous deaths caused by yourself in a Rocksteady game.

The insinuation that there's something wrong with someone who liked the movie simply because it had some violence is insulting. And hypocritical.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Breaking Bad is different. It at least has camera angles further away from the action.

I just really don't enjoy the level of violence on display, especially during its first 5 minutes. Doesn't make a great first impression on me. But then, I don't like Tarantino's movies either, and this feels similar. They all leave me cold. As for insinuating something, for that I apologize. I tried this movie twice, backed out on it twice.

And in a game, you should well know it's different as well.
Last edited by Rumpy on Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I see no serious defense against my claims you're a hypocrite in your reply. "Different camera angle"? Seriously, dude? What about Game of Thrones. The head crushing was front and center...but you've posted about liking the show when it aired. I mean, to quote you:
You people enjoy this shit?
Oh, and
And in a movie, you should well know it's different as well.
FTFY
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't remember the head crushing, but then that was a while ago, but I'm not what you would consider a hardcore fan.

Again, I apologize. If I insulted you, again, I apologize. It was wrong of me. I owe you a 24 pack, not a 6.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:56 pm No, I'm serious. I wouldn't be trolling. I'm genuinely surprised people actually enjoy it. I felt it was way too much. Personally don't enjoy movies that are this over the top.
Never, I mean NEVER ever watch Midsommar. I actually wish I had not. {shudders}
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:01 pm Yeah, not like Breaking Bad putting a severed head on a live turtle in the desert, or Game of Thrones with a painstakingly close up shot of a guy's head being crushed in a man's hands, or any of the numerous deaths caused by yourself in a Rocksteady game.

The insinuation that there's something wrong with someone who liked the movie simply because it had some violence is insulting. And hypocritical.
Dude! :angry-extinguishflame: :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:22 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:56 pm No, I'm serious. I wouldn't be trolling. I'm genuinely surprised people actually enjoy it. I felt it was way too much. Personally don't enjoy movies that are this over the top.
Never, I mean NEVER ever watch Midsommar. I actually wish I had not. {shudders}
Thanks for the warning, heh. There are just some things I'm sensitive to, and I think it's sometimes easy to forget that we get desensitized, but everyone is different in what they find acceptable.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:27 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:01 pm Yeah, not like Breaking Bad putting a severed head on a live turtle in the desert, or Game of Thrones with a painstakingly close up shot of a guy's head being crushed in a man's hands, or any of the numerous deaths caused by yourself in a Rocksteady game.

Sorry...I should have put that stuff about Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones in spoilers. You're right.
Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:35 pm Thanks for the warning, heh. There are just some things I'm sensitive to*, and I think it's sometimes easy to forget that we get desensitized, but everyone is different in what they find acceptable.
*Long lingering shots of severed heads on a live turtle and close up shots of heads being crushed between someone's hands not included.

edit: now I'm done. I'll leave the discussion.
Last edited by hepcat on Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:36 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:27 pm

Sorry...I shouldn't have put that stuff about Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones in spoilers. You're right.
Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:35 pm Thanks for the warning, heh. There are just some things I'm sensitive to*, and I think it's sometimes easy to forget that we get desensitized, but everyone is different in what they find acceptable.
*Long lingering shots of severed heads on a live turtle and close up shots of heads being crushed between someone's hands not included.
To be fair, you didn't say WHOSE head in either case. :P
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It could be mine... ;) :lol: I honestly don't even remember all that stuff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another big thumbs down on Midsommer. I think I actually saw that in a movie theater. And it wasn't the violence that turned me off, it was just piss poor.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:45 pm Another big thumbs down on Midsommer. I think I actually saw that in a movie theater. And it wasn't the violence that turned me off, it was just piss poor.
By far the most disturbing, and graphically violent film I have ever seen. I assume for the horror/gore genre, it's par for the course though.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm not typically into the horror genre, so I have a feeling I'd be steering clear of it anyway.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:51 pm I'm not typically into the horror genre, so I have a feeling I'd be steering clear of it anyway.
I know why I watched it. 83% on RT. Just sayin'. :P
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

83%? Seriously? Well, sometimes we all have to make our own judgements on something. I'll sometimes wonder why something is so high after viewing it and just assume that my tastes aren't necessarily aligned with the majority.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:49 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:45 pm Another big thumbs down on Midsommer. I think I actually saw that in a movie theater. And it wasn't the violence that turned me off, it was just piss poor.
By far the most disturbing, and graphically violent film I have ever seen. I assume for the horror/gore genre, it's par for the course though.
His film before that, Hereditary, is at least equally disturbing, I think. And also one of my favorite horror films of the last 10 years.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:37 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:49 pm
His film before that, Hereditary, is at least equally disturbing, I think. And also one of my favorite horror films of the last 10 years.
Gabriel Byrne and the immensely talented Toni Collette? I'm in.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stick it out to the end. While he does a great job of creating an oppressive and dread filled atmosphere, it goes to 11 in the last 30 minutes or so. Before that it might seem a little slow to some.

In other news, I’m on the second episode of Vikings Valhalla. It’s fun, but it’s Hollywood history, if you catch my drift,
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:01 pm Stick it out to the end. While he does a great job of creating an oppressive and dread filled atmosphere, it goes to 11 in the last 30 minutes or so. Before that it might seem a little slow to some.
I'm a big fan of the slow Byrne.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That reminds me. It’s about time for my yearly viewing of Miller’s Crossing.
He won. Period.
telcta

Post by telcta »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:38 pm That reminds me. It’s about time for my yearly viewing of Miller’s Crossing.
Nice to see someone else enjoy what I think is always overlooked when people talk about the Coen brothers. I think about that movie whenever I see someone lose their hat in the wind, or trying to find change and coming up a penny short.

I think I’m due for another viewing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love all things Coen brothers. I consider them two of the finest American filmmakers we have. I’d be hard pressed to choose a favorite, but Millers Crossing is definitely up there.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blood Simple :wub:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:57 pm I love all things Coen brothers. I consider them two of the finest American filmmakers we have. I’d be hard pressed to choose a favorite, but Millers Crossing is definitely up there.
That intro. Phew. Fantastic. And the rest of the movie ain't no slouch neither...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:55 pm Yes, we had a whole thread. It would be best (IMHO) if you were a fan of SyFy's Z Nation as this show is technically a prequel.
On Z Nation:

IMO much better than Walking Dead. However, bummer!
Spoiler:
First Hammond and then Garnett :(
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:57 pm I love all things Coen brothers. I consider them two of the finest American filmmakers we have.
Heartily agree.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:57 pm I love all things Coen brothers. I consider them two of the finest American filmmakers we have. I’d be hard pressed to choose a favorite, but Millers Crossing is definitely up there.
I think my favourite Cohen Brothers is their version of True Grit. As good as the original with John Wayne is, they elevated the story with a better script.

Speaking of Netflix content, just watched Tick Tick Boom, and that was quite amazing. Andrew Garfield is quite charismatic and the script was great. Didn't even realize it about Rent's composer until the end.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I was intrigued after Raising Arizona, and began to pay attention to anything they made.

When The Big Lebowski came out, my love was cemented.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My first exposure was Crimewave. I’m a huge Sami Raimi fan too so that’s why.
He won. Period.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:18 pm I was intrigued after Raising Arizona,
I remember loving that movie when it came out. I tried to watch it a few years ago and didn't last more than half an hour.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I decided to watch The Harder They Fall today to see what the fuss is all about. The opening scene didn't strike me as shocking or gratuitous -- it just sets the plot in motion. You can't have a revenge film without a good reason for revenge.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The violence is impactful. I definitely felt some shock as I viewed it, but it didn't cross over into disgust as with some Tarantino and horror films, GoT, etc.

I think we've discussed this several times over the years. Can excessive or realistic violence have positive value in media? Would we notice it if it didn't go too far? One argument is that we can better identify with the main character's pain because the violence inflicted is so vicious.

One film that was too much for me (not being familiar with the source material) was Sin City. I couldn't finish it. It was nihilistic and despicable. But a lot of people gobbled it up; it was a mainstream hit. There's a lot worse available outside of the mainstream, but some films balance horrific violence with humanity and I find them more palatable.
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

In terms of the Coen brothers, I've been tempted to re-watch A Serious Man lately. I think it's seriously underrated. Michael Stuhlbarg is outstanding. But I never quite get around to it as I feel it would be upsetting to my depressed state. There's some catharsis there though, too.

I watch The Big Lebowski at least once a year. There's a number of theirs I really need to re-watch... Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing. Hudsucker Proxy and Barton Fink get re-watched every few years. The Man Who Wasn't There was probably my favourite film of the era as a teen, but I have a hard time going back to it now. (Edit: I re-watched it tonight and I still think it's quite good.)

Oddly, there are a handful of their films that just do nothing for me. O Brother, Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers (ugh), Inside Llewyn Davis (great acting, but such a harsh film), Hail, Caesar! But these are all films I've never tried a second time, and I owe it to some of them.
Last edited by Sudy on Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg