Vampire Survivors - Early Access

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

infinitelurker

Vampire Survivors - Early Access

Post by infinitelurker »

I just read a post on Bill Harris' blog about an early access title called Vampire Survivors. It's $2.99 on Steam, and I had some credit burning a hole in my Steam wallet, so I decided to give it a go.

This game reminds me a bit of Robotron : 2084 (without the dual joystick move/fire action as your weapons always auto-fire) crossed with Geometry Wars.

From what I can tell, there are 3 different characters you can choose to play as, and you gain weapons as you level up during play that are all wielded simultaneously. By unlocking achievements you also unlock additional weapons that you can use in future games.

With the difficultly ramping up continuously, I haven't had a game last past 13 minutes yet, so it's a quick pick up and play sort of game. Well worth the $2.99 for the time I've already had with it today.
-something witty-
Daehawk

Re: Vampire Survivors - Early Access

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like you can play it free on io.

https://poncle.itch.io/vampire-survivors
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Insanely moreish and i dont know why
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 am Insanely moreish and i dont know why
+1

I made it to 16 minutes (on the itch.io version). And I've unlocked a couple new characters. But I really don't know why I'm playing.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Yeah, I keep going back for more, and learning a bit more with every try. Best 3 bucks I’ve spent in some time. I made it to 24 minutes last night after changing up strategies a bit and going for higher levels of my weapons when presented with upgrade options vs adding new weapons.

I also somehow unlocked an “evolved” weapon during that game which was super powerful for a few minutes. I need to do some reading to see how I did that so I can repeat it in the future.
-something witty-
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I've been playing it a bunch the last two days. For just a bit on my first really long (20+ minutes) run, I thought I'd broken it. Waves after waves kept going down. I'd maxed all my items and was just getting little bits of money for each chest or level. Eventually the mob strength went up enough to overwhelm me around lvl 76 or so.

But I still have lots of things to buy and unlock. I'm trying to see if I can get the evolved form of every weapon now. So far the whip kinda sucks, but I'm curious what it can do at max.
No sig, must scream, etc.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That is totally old school gaming. I think I'm going to play IO game a bit more and then probably give them three bucks because.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:29 pm That is totally old school gaming. I think I'm going to play IO game a bit more and then probably give them three bucks because.
I just did. I think the Steam version is easier. Maybe. At least I seem to be getting more of the loot thingies. And I've seen at least one thing there that wasn't in the itch.io version (fire breath). I also opened up a class that starts with garlic. Which is a huge plus.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Stefan Stirzaker

Buying the steam version now if it has more stuff
Stefan Stirzaker

Ok, the Steam version is better. Graphics are better and bigger and more stats when you finish about how long u used weapons, DPS etc. Superior to teh Twitch IO version.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It also has more stuff. More items, achievements give you unlocks, etc... At least I think that's the case. The IO site says it is just a Demo.

The game is sort of like Hades returning to 80s coin eating video game. And it ate about two hours of my time after work. So that's $3 that was better spent than in an arcade in the 80s.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

BTW, the itch.io version also has achievement unlocks. You can look at the achievements to see what you need to do. I completed most of them before giving in and buying the Steam version. And then doing them all over again...

So far I've only unlocked 2 empowered weapons. And the knife gattling gun in the Library was pretty impressive. That's my best run so far. I remember hitting level 55 or so. Now I can't remember how much farther I made it.

And the empowered garlic was pretty impressive.

I have not been able to get an empowered weapon in the Forest yet. I struggle with the 11min wave if I don't have at least a level 4 garlic going. But by putting focus there, I don't end up having the DPS for the 13min wave. I often can avoid for a bit, but I stop leveling because I have to keep running and I can't take down the werewolves(?). Ghosts are no problem, but eventually the werewolves take me out.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

29:48 in the Library. Killed the "special" boss. Then completely overwhelmed. Though I think it was the exploding ones that did the most damage to me.

Running with the evolved wand, evolved fire wand, evolved whip, and evolved garlic. If I'd been more careful which skills I'd picked up, I probably could have evolved one or two more weapons.

Hell of a run.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Games like these usually suck me in for a while, but I've got to admit I got bored on my second run, 13 minutes. I'm in no way mad at it for $2.99, but I don't see the point of this one. I need a little bit more to do.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Have you tried the second map? It's very different. My assumption is that they will add more maps as development progresses.

I still haven't gotten the achievement for the big boss in the Forest. But I also have yet to empower a weapon in the Forest. Leveling is a lot slower.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

At 25 minutes the frame rates start to slow for me. At 30 I can't see anything. :(
Stefan Stirzaker

Empowered whip is very useful. Does crits, large area and more importantly, heals you when does crit. allowed me to survive another 10 mins easily. First empowered weapon.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

At 30 min in the The Forest a "boss" showed up that I don't think is beatable. It moves really fast and has no problem sitting right on top of you. The push back from the whip doesn't have any effect. I died in a couple of seconds. It felt like their way of saying "session over".

Empowered whip is awesome. So is the empower bible. Almost made it to 30 min in the Library on hyper mode. If you are careful what you grab (and the RNG doesn't screw you), you can get 4 empowered weapons. I was running the whip, bible, garlic, and wand. Knives are also really good in the Library. I've not been overly impressed with the ones that fire in random directions. I've now empowered all the weapons. I just have the achievement left for uniting the birds. That is going to be a real pain.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:00 am Have you tried the second map? It's very different. My assumption is that they will add more maps as development progresses.
No, is that an unlockable somewhere? I haven't bothered to look up any guides, and feel like there's a little I'm missing. But I did pick it back up for a few more sessions and had some fun once I got deeper into the unlockables.

I think there's definite artistry on display here, but it also strikes me as the semi-cynical evolution of the clicker. It's absolutely worth the $3, but the gameplay seems to be about little more than repetitive (and often lucky) positioning, and clicking for % upgrades. I guess that's a pretty fair deconstruction of a couple of genres, but as much time as I piddle away in my life, putting extended time into this feels wasteful. But that may just be where my head's at right now. Time spent on things that make you happy isn't a waste, within reason.

But if I don't share a bad or lukewarm review, what's going to keep this title from world domination? :P

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It is unlockable. But I don't recall the specifics. Maybe reaching 20 mins on the first map? Essentially, when you get a good run on the first map, you'll unlock it.

Same with hyper mode. You have to beat the "big boss" of the Forest level to unlock hyper mode. (Which is more mobs and more gold.)

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The game is certainly transformed once you unlock evolved weapons. I only unlocked one, the knife, on my first run of the library. But it pretty much turned the game into a shoot 'em up for the next fifteen minutes until I was finally overwhelmed at 28:53 and level 71. I was kind of disappointed when I ran out of items to upgrade.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

There was an update for me today. Not sure when it came out. It added a few more achievements and a new zone. Also plants and stuff to the Mad Forest. And a new character. I was trying to get the achievement for 5k gold in one run. But that's going to be a challenge. I think I need to finish buying the gold upgrade.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:10 pm At 30 min in the The Forest a "boss" showed up that I don't think is beatable. It moves really fast and has no problem sitting right on top of you. The push back from the whip doesn't have any effect. I died in a couple of seconds. It felt like their way of saying "session over".

Empowered whip is awesome. So is the empower bible. Almost made it to 30 min in the Library on hyper mode. If you are careful what you grab (and the RNG doesn't screw you), you can get 4 empowered weapons. I was running the whip, bible, garlic, and wand. Knives are also really good in the Library. I've not been overly impressed with the ones that fire in random directions. I've now empowered all the weapons. I just have the achievement left for uniting the birds. That is going to be a real pain.
I had all but one empowered weapon including the bird. I don't know if I beat the final boss or not (the achievement?). I will say around 35 minutes in I couldn't even tell what was going on even the frame rate pretty much ground to a halt. I was moving around instead of sitting still and with the frame rate being non existent, that what's killed me. My emporwereds were the axe, the bible, the birds, the blue torch, and the cross. After I got the bird I couldn't get the last weapon to match with one of my others.

Birds weren't are problem. I actually really like them and their empowerment continues to boost another 8 levels, I think. I still need the knives and the whip. I don't care for either weapon. I set the game down after the 35 minute game as my machine doesn't seem to handle it. In addition the birds and whip I still need the mask and to beat the library, I think.
Sudy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:46 pm
TheMix wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:00 am Have you tried the second map? It's very different. My assumption is that they will add more maps as development progresses.
No, is that an unlockable somewhere? I haven't bothered to look up any guides, and feel like there's a little I'm missing. But I did pick it back up for a few more sessions and had some fun once I got deeper into the unlockables.

I think there's definite artistry on display here, but it also strikes me as the semi-cynical evolution of the clicker. It's absolutely worth the $3, but the gameplay seems to be about little more than repetitive (and often lucky) positioning, and clicking for % upgrades. I guess that's a pretty fair deconstruction of a couple of genres, but as much time as I piddle away in my life, putting extended time into this feels wasteful. But that may just be where my head's at right now. Time spent on things that make you happy isn't a waste, within reason.

But if I don't share a bad or lukewarm review, what's going to keep this title from world domination? :P
The achievements should tell you, I think.... Library was unlocked for making past level 20 in the first map. It may have come after Sudy played and he need to make it past 20 again?

Look at that 3 new achievements over the weekend. Two seem to have new characters, I think. I would have met both if they had played when I made my 35 minute run. Trying to remember what the last monster waves were. I know I made it past blue bats.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You empowered birds? The base ones? Or the ebony? And do you remember what paired with them? There isn't an achievement for empowering them. Nor is there any info on the website I've been looking at.
Spoiler:
Here are all possible Vampire Survivors weapon upgrades in the evolution chart:

Axe + Candelabrador: Death Spiral (pierces through enemies)
Cross + Clover: Heaven Sword (chance to deal critical damage)
Fire Wand + Spinach: Hellfire (pierces through enemies)
Garlic + Pummarola: Soul Eater (increases power when recovering HP)
King Bible + Spellbinder: Unholy Vespers (makes King Bible to orbit endlessly)
Knife + Bracer: Thousand Edge (has no delay)
Magic Wand + Empty Tome: Holy Wand (has no delay)
Whip + Hollow Heart: Bloody Tear (chance to absorb HP and deal critical damage
Also, the empowered whip is awesome. Not just for the healing, but because of the knockback. With the whip and the bible empowered, I can sit next to the mini-bosses and not worry about them hitting me. Helps when I want/need their chests.

I went and looked it up. The boss that killed me was Death. According to the link I found, it's unkillable. Not sure how you made it to 35 min. It sounds like he didn't show up in your build, since everything else on the screen disappears.
The final ‘boss’ you can face occurs on every stage when you reach 30 minutes survived. At this point all of the waves disappear and Death appears. Death isn’t currently fightable/beatable at this time (without cheating). When Death appears your run will end when it attacks you.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My best run was 29 minutes in the library with the knife guy. I haven't been able to come anywhere close in many subsequent runs. I am always waiting for the perfect weapons for the character instead of embracing what the game gives me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:28 am You empowered birds? The base ones? Or the ebony? And do you remember what paired with them? There isn't an achievement for empowering them. Nor is there any info on the website I've been looking at.
8 white + 8 black = rainbow which then gives back another weapon slot as a new rainbow bird comes out of it and the rainbow bird can be upgraded as well

Also, the empowered whip is awesome. Not just for the healing, but because of the knockback. With the whip and the bible empowered, I can sit next to the mini-bosses and not worry about them hitting me. Helps when I want/need their chests.
I went and looked it up. The boss that killed me was Death. According to the link I found, it's unkillable. Not sure how you made it to 35 min. It sounds like he didn't show up in your build, since everything else on the screen disappears.
The final ‘boss’ you can face occurs on every stage when you reach 30 minutes survived. At this point all of the waves disappear and Death appears. Death isn’t currently fightable/beatable at this time (without cheating). When Death appears your run will end when it attacks you.
That didn't happen to me at 30 minutes but might have been at 35ish or something short of that. I couldn't see a thing, I just died. my refresh rates were non existent at that time. Everything might have disappeared, I it had been a bit since I could tell what was going on.

Also, the odds of my pulling in 5000 coins again are small. I got them because I maxed all my levels and the critters were dropping green bags of gold and I hit like five 500 gold achievements in one run. I doubt I'll do that well again.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:33 am My best run was 29 minutes in the library with the knife guy. I haven't been able to come anywhere close in many subsequent runs. I am always waiting for the perfect weapons for the character instead of embracing what the game gives me.
Yeah. I hear ya. Though you do have to learn what to focus on. You have a limited number of things you can learn. If you pick up too many of the weapons, or too many of the non-empowerable items, then you won't be able to get empowered versions. I think that you want to try and get 3 empowered weapons. That leaves you some room for things that might be useful (like speed or armor). I did manage 4 empowered weapons on one run. But it's hard. And there are too many ways for it to screw up.

My go-to weapons (obviously depending on the options) are the whip, bible, and garlic. That will give you lots of knockback, aoe, and healing. Though I had a recent run where I upgraded the holy water to 8. It actually did pretty well. In the Library. I don't know that I'd use it in the Forest maps. Since it hits around you, and the Library doesn't use all the screen, it's easier to stand in one spot. Though it does make it harder to farm the candlesticks.

Knives are awesome, but you have to keep moving "forward" for them to work best. The wand is pretty good, since it'll fire at the closest enemies. And I think also has some knockback. So that can be useful.

While the fire wand does massive damage, I really hate that it's random. Same with the cross. They force you (as things get hard) to focus on moving in whatever direction they fire in. So you lose the ability to control your own destiny. As it were. The axe is somewhat the same. I don't recall exactly how it works, but I assume you would want it more in the Forest maps where you can keep moving downwards to benefit from it's trajectory.

Black Lives Matter

Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:28 am You empowered birds? The base ones? Or the ebony? And do you remember what paired with them?
Both birds together combine to make a new bird and leave an empty weapon slot. (Picture is from a Youtube vid so the red bar isn't supposed to be there.)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:42 am 8 white + 8 black = rainbow which then gives back another weapon slot as a new rainbow bird comes out of it and the rainbow bird can be upgraded as well
Ah. So not empowered versions, but you unlocked the "unite" option. They are planning on adding more of them. I salute you. I have tried a couple of times, but I really hate those two skills. I find them virtually useless. Which makes it very challenging.

There are a couple things you can do for the gold challenge to make it "easier". Hah. You want luck. Lots of luck. That will help get more candlesticks/braziers. Unfortunately, the character with the best luck starts with the stupid birds. So you can lose a lot of time just getting it to level up once to get a useful skill. If you can get that one going, though, you'll get a lot more gold. Playing hyper mode also helps (50% more gold). Though I think the best bet is playing a character with a useful skill, getting "lucky" on upgrades with lots of clover, and then simply being able to stay alive to 30 min. Oh, and maxing out the purchased bonuses for Greed. I'm still working on the latter.

Best I've done is slightly over 3k gold (at least that I recall). But I think I was only able to empower one weapon on that run and died somewhere around the 20 min mark. With a bit more help from leveling choices, I might have been able to pull it off.

Edit: Whoops. "Union" not "Unite". :D

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

surviving 13 minute got a whole lot more difficult with obstacles everywhere now. My lunch is a wastin.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I must have died at 30 minutes before. I just made the same progression and didn't have nearly the firepower or instakilling or slow down.

Currently 3 unlocks left. 5000 coins, defeat dude in the libary, and "unlock hypermode for two stages". I haven't tried any hypermode yet.
TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:46 am Same with the cross.

I like the cross because I like luck and they combine. (Is that a spoiler? If so I will edit)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've grabbed the cross for the same reason. But only after I have several other ones lined up.

I got careless. I had a good run going in the Library. Empowered garlic, whip, and bible. Ebony bird at 8. Normal bird at 7. I had bonus XP going as well. So close. Just needed to watch what I was doing for a few more seconds. /sigh

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dammit, just made it to 28:33 in the library on hyper. Sadly, not a single achievement. :( I may need to actually make an empowerment checklist so I know what to go for. I did it with lightning lady and maxed out lightning on the character with bonus area really clears the screen. :D Per the stats, the wand did the least damage, including holy wand, barely worse than the pigeon.

3584 gold without making any effort towards getting extra gold. Helped by level 65 to 97 all giving me 25 gold I guess :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:25 pm I may need to actually make an empowerment checklist so I know what to go for.
I keep https://www.fanbyte.com/guides/vampire- ... ion-chart/ open a tab. :)

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I will say that I'm starting to come around to the non-empowered AOE weapons: holy water, lightning, etc. At top level they clearly can do some serious butt kicking. I just hate that they are not focused. You can't point them where you want.

Also, I think one of the reasons for using the wand is not the damage, but the crowd control. It shoots at the closest enemies and will push them back some. So it's potentially viable as a means of defense. To keep you alive while the other stuff kills.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The santa water basically covers the whole screen all the time at max level on lightning lass (+30% area). It was the top damage dealer for me on that last run (where I also has vespers and holy wand).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Did you also run the bonus length of time? When I run with it I usually find that the circles are disappearing when the new ones happen. To get some overlap, I'd think you'd either need to extend the length of time they are out, or maybe reduce the cooldown. Also, I only had 4 appearing. Definitely not enough to cover the screen. I was wondering if leveling up Duplication would increase that.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't think I had the duration extended, but had the cooldown minimized.

Trying to remember what I had:
+area
-cooldown
+projectiles
+xp
+damage

I don't really know the game well enough yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tried to get to empower all weapons but ran out of bosses before I got the last one. The birds really take a bit of your leveling. I was in the 70s before I started collecting gold bags. Didn't even pull 3000 gold. I may end up taking the mask just so I can get the achievement.

Coop, Hyper? None for me right now. That game is a bit fast.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:33 pm Coop, Hyper? None for me right now. That game is a bit fast.
I think my PC is a bit more up to the task than yours. Hyper is a little hectic at the start and I will admit I was concerned for a bit, but eventually your brain catches up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter