Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:52 amMy retirement account added almost 20% for the second year in a row. Could have been higher if I had more money in C and less in S in the TSP, but I'll take it.
My 6 year growth is 20% across all retirement accounts per year for the last 6 years. Contributions plus matches have been maybe 10% of that growth. I keep waiting for the music to stop but corporate profits show little sign of abating.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:30 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:52 amMy retirement account added almost 20% for the second year in a row. Could have been higher if I had more money in C and less in S in the TSP, but I'll take it.
My 6 year growth is 20% across all retirement accounts per year for the last 6 years. Contributions plus matches have been maybe 10% of that growth. I keep waiting for the music to stop but corporate profits show little sign of abating.
Almost exactly 18% CAGR over the past 9 years here. Huzzah for the corporate oligarchy?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:00 pm I'm so overweight F it's ridiculous. It's probably wise to sell some here...but it's F.
I bought a little bit more F when it was under $6 not much more than a year ago but I vowed I'd never let them hurt me again, so I didn't go in heavy. I bought just enough so I could learn to play a bit with options (wherein I learned what a wash sale is... after the fact...). If I had bought what my instincts wanted me to buy I'd have been doing some serious trimming when F hit $20. As it goes, I have most of my F set out to options in 2024 that will easily get pulled at this pace for $25 and I'm OK with that. I've made my option money over the last couple of years. I'll get some money returned to dividends and my average cost per share at $11.35 going back to initial buys in 2014 will go for $25.00. And this all happened when I had originally bought them as dividend royalty and then watched those divvy's dry up while also seeing $17 a share purchases drop under $10 with no real reason and then to just over $5 because COVID.

Not sure how long it took my 401k to recover after 2008 but I'll peg it around 2012. My tracker claims my 10 Y RoR is 12.86%. (5 Years is 15.83% and 2 years is 21.73% and that includes lost money with my pulling my money once for nearly 2 months)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:47 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:30 pm
Almost exactly 18% CAGR over the past 9 years here. Huzzah for the corporate oligarchy?
Plugging my numbers into a CAGR calculator gives me 21.82% over the past 9 years. It's...pretty wild.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rivian on "sale" today if anyone is interested. I said I would buy when it came back down to $95 or below, but I am just not that into her. It? Him!

Apologies, as I know all of you were waiting with baited breath to see when I would buy and at what level. :P
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'll likely bite for more under $80 if it comes.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

$80’s would certainly pique my interest, but what special sauce do they have that no other EV makers have, if any?

The Amazon snub today was either a Very Big Deal, or they are still way overpriced in the $90’s.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't think they have any particular special sauce, but they do have backing and a solid product, without legacy baggage. In this market that's something.

To be clear, I'd put 99 of my EV dollars in TSLA for each 1 in RIVN.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not investing in RIVN. I may trade it but not looking to park there. RIVN: 900M o/s, 484M float, trading 25M shares today. Does not appeal to me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:45 pm I'll likely bite for more under $80 if it comes.
Did you bite? Hit $77 this morning. Currently around $85.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:14 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:45 pm I'll likely bite for more under $80 if it comes.
Did you bite? Hit $77 this morning. Currently around $85.
For a couple shares; nothing significant. I didn't catch $77, though. Curse my indecisiveness.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I probably would have bought some had I actually been watching when it hit $77. I feel confident we will get another chance. Hopefully I will be ready when that happens.

$76B market cap with zero revenue. I can wait. :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Old favorite TSM at ATH after earnings this morning. Touched $145.

F at 19-year high maybe?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:59 am F at 19-year high maybe?
Of COURSE it is!!! :grund: :grund:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Since building a personal portfolio, I expect amended reports on my holdings taxes in late February or early March. SPY never reports December dividends on my taxes until then.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Been brutal checking in over the last few days. Wondering where they bottom will be as I ride this out. It's fun to watch your worth go up 1.5% once a week or more. Not so much to see it go down. Especially when you made the commitment to put nor more money in the market but rather are looking to understand how to exit bit by bit properly.

I see you can get the RIVN under $77 now. ;)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:51 pmI see you can get the RIVN under $77 now. ;)
Snagged a handful at $73 earlier today.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So pissed that I missed out on buying ATVI. I had no idea about the buyout, but was planning to buy an opening position this morning just based on some research I did on it by accident yesterday.

I did at least buy more AMZN today. If I keep this slow buying up, I will be back to the same levels I had a couple of years ago when I sold it all. Every time it gets down around $3200, $3,300 I pick up a share or two.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nope. My speculations days are done. I gots me my one free share just so I can watch it, for however long that lasts. If all goes according to plan I have 30 work days left until I'm no longer pulling in a check, so from here on in, it's about how to properly shrink my investments, no longer about how to grow them (scratch that, I'll have a huge to me 401k that I'll have to get figured out, though I'm likely to park it all in broad ETFs, like they are now for the time being, just without all of the additional 401k fees charged by the investment firm.)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You can now get RIVN in the $70s and apparently its valuation is taking some of the F love with it. News chose this morning to announce F has 8+ billion in gains from RIVN but can't cash in on them yet as RIVN declines.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:20 pm You can now get RIVN in the $70s and apparently its valuation is taking some of the F love with it. News chose this morning to announce F has 8+ billion in gains from RIVN but can't cash in on them yet as RIVN declines.
Tesla's in the shitter today, too.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

/runs to the internet, looks at 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, 3 year gain on TSLA.

/laughs.

TSLA as a tech play, off another 2% seems light compared to other tech plays, actually. As an OEM, 2% is definitely light. Still, if I had your TSLA position, I'da not had your TSLA position a long time ago. :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Oh, I'm not complaining especially given the earnings blowout coming next week. Just sayin' RIVN's not alone today.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My ADTN is just getting nailed today (and this week). If I were still buying I'd be buying more but you know darned well, there's something going on behind the scenes and, as example, the 5G hub bub is somehow going to be a shoe dropping on them that's not announced but everyone but me seems to know about already.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So F ends the day down over 8% and this is what TD says to explain the move
Ford shares are trading lower. The company late Tuesday announced certain items that will be included in its FY21 results including a gain from its Rivian stake.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm So F ends the day down over 8% and this is what TD says to explain the move
Ford shares are trading lower. The company late Tuesday announced certain items that will be included in its FY21 results including a gain from its Rivian stake.
They're reclassifying the $900M from Rivian as a special item. Reduces 2021 guidance. They still have the money but it's not counting to metrics like EPS and EBIT. It's not news either, they said the same when Rivian IPO'd. Difference now they restated guidance to include the change.

Buying op IMO, if I wasn't maxed on F already.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This is the Fed, and fear that they will raise rates even more than the market currently "thinks" (don't think too hard about that one).

I'm sure continuing supply chain issues that many are saying will carry well into 2023, AND the fact that we still haven't really shaken COVID...maybe a soupcon of "possibly coming up on the end of our representative democracry as we know it" and boom... volatility. :D

Solid names with solid balance sheets should be fine during this churn...but things like my early stage biotechs....OOF. They get absolutely trashed in times like these.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I still think F is over valued but my shares aren't going anywhere. They're leveraged as covered calls. If they get pulled from me, I'll be OK with that. So, in short, I'm maxed on F and I did so when it was around $6, I think. My calls can feel free to trim my position at $25 if they want to. I won't cry.

I guess, technically, I'm maxed on everything. From now on it's about selling, not buying.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Intel to open the first chip plant outside of Columbus, Ohio. I can only assume that is to get themselves in with automotive. So it looks like 2024 before we start seeing that chip relief for new cars. :) If I had money, I'd be thinking about Intel on this drawback... to start paying off in 2025... I wonder how much Intel is weighted in my ETFs.

Also, this week and 3rd Friday Call day, is not looking great for the Mort post employment era. If I had more cash, I'd probably be losing more cash, at least short term. This was the pullback I had been waiting for. I'd be putting in increments and watching the direction.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hmmm...keep waiting to buy, or buy here?
My only two "up" holdings today, are not surprisingly two bond funds, one of which is my recently purchased VTIP (inflation protected)

Might be a good time to add more to the REIT, or maybe AMZN...

Edit: Dang. Not often you see AMZN drop more than 5% in a single day! :whistle:

Screw it. I'm buying here. It will likely prove to be too early, as this could be the start of something other than just a correction, but gotta hop in some time.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

love it!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Popped a look at how bad things are getting this morning and noticed my one share of RIVN is under $57. Picking a bad time to pack up and leave my job without settling more money out of securities. Fortunately, I have over a years living expenses (I hope) in cash.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:52 am Popped a look at how bad things are getting this morning and noticed my one share of RIVN is under $57. Picking a bad time to pack up and leave my job without settling more money out of securities. Fortunately, I have over a years living expenses (I hope) in cash.
I grabbed a few more at $56. Head tells me no, heart tells me throw [small amounts of] money at it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:10 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:52 am Popped a look at how bad things are getting this morning and noticed my one share of RIVN is under $57. Picking a bad time to pack up and leave my job without settling more money out of securities. Fortunately, I have over a years living expenses (I hope) in cash.
I grabbed a few more at $56. Head tells me no, heart tells me throw [small amounts of] money at it.
It just seems like an absolute gamble at this point, since it's sooo early. Note that I am completely open to such gambles, and regularly do so (see: all my investments in alt meds that are currently schedule 1 drugs)

I may open a small position, just to play.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm not buying anything right now. I've been moving back to cash but hadn't hit my target before this hit. In wait-and-see mode right now.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:36 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:10 am
It just seems like an absolute gamble at this point, since it's sooo early. Note that I am completely open to such gambles, and regularly do so (see: all my investments in alt meds that are currently schedule 1 drugs)

I may open a small position, just to play.
I would agree that it's a gamble. What sets it apart from the other non-Tesla EV gambles for me is its significant backing from and deals with Amazon and Ford. Also, that it's really a good product AFAICT. I'm not expecting this to 10X or 150X like Tesla did, but I would be more than eyebrow-raised surprised if Rivian doesn't do at least OK.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Damn. Bought way more than I was expecting! Was trying to actually trim the number of holdings in my portfolio, but instead I expanded by three.

New stuff I bought (first time for all these):
TSLA
AN (Autonation)
RIVN

I'm assuming the EV sector is getting hit particularly hard today (and will continue to do so) because it was likely the most "hot" overvalued sector, or at least one of them, surely.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Time will tell, but Wednesday's TSLA report is going to be a banger. Given how battered it's been since reporting blowout deliveries, I'll be surprised if there's not some recovery relative to the market at large.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RIVN might have just delivered the fastest gain I've ever made, relative to when I bought something. 12% in a couple of hours? I'll take that!