COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:13 pm That's the next idea. I just found a family pharmacy nearby that might have slots tomorrow. It's wild though that we are having trouble again finding testing.
I have a stash of these as a backup. They keep going in and out of stock online but they are the lowest retail option I've seen.

The idea that the government isn't sending these to people or making them easily available is bonkers to me.

Is she symptomatic?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Edit: Wrong thread... Not sure how that happened.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:21 pmIs she symptomatic?
Yes. And mildly at present. We're both boosted. But she obviously is worried about whether she should leave work, work from home, etc.

Edit: Those appear to be available at the Walmart in Edison. Not super close but I might have to run there after my next two meetings.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:24 pm Yes. And mildly at present. We're both boosted. But she obviously is worried about whether she should leave work, work from home, etc.
I don't think they have local pickups for those tests anywhere in NJ via Wal-Mart - they're presumably shipping them to us from states where they have supplies. If you were closer I'd get you one, but I won't be in your area until tomorrow night, unfortunately.

EDIT: Ok, that's good and that location makes sense - major population hub in our state. Hopefully you can grab one, but I'd still order some to stash in your house for the next ~4 months.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Indeed. Also, the place I'm least worried about getting COVID. It's mask central.

Edit: the Walmart website is lying. They don't have them. Ordered some for Wednesday.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:06 am It sounds like an infection which makes me wonder if the needle or injection site wasn’t completely sterilized.
confirmed it was a bacterial infection. it's possible the needle wasn't properly sterilized, but more likely the injection site on the skin wasn't.
malchior

Post by malchior »

She ended up being negative. We found a rapid-PCR at a small pharmacy as all the big players here are unavailable for days.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE said initial lab studies show a third dose of their Covid-19 vaccine may be needed to neutralize the omicron variant, results that will accelerate booster-shot drives around the world.

Company researchers observed a 25-fold reduction in neutralizing antibody levels versus the variant, compared with the original strain of the virus, in people who got just two shots. However, boosting with an additional shot of the vaccine raised antibodies 25-fold against omicron, giving a similar level of the protective proteins as observed against those earlier versions after the standard two doses, the vaccine partners said in a statement.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-variant
Roman

Post by Roman »

Got my booster shot yesterday - I'm a double AZ kid on the island of misfit toys hence the booster.

I was advised by my local health unit when I registered about 2 weeks ago that Moderna was being given to those who are elderly/infirmed etc etc and that Pfizer would be provided to people like me.
Imagine my surprise when I got there yesterday and was offered the choice! I chose Moderna and received a half dose? Not sure why? But I do know that if I selected Pfizer that I would have received the full dose.

Any experts want to weigh in? Did I make the right call? :?: :eusa-think:
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Roman wrote:Got my booster shot yesterday - I'm a double AZ kid on the island of misfit toys hence the booster.

I was advised by my local health unit when I registered about 2 weeks ago that Moderna was being given to those who are elderly/infirmed etc etc and that Pfizer would be provided to people like me.
Imagine my surprise when I got there yesterday and was offered the choice! I chose Moderna and received a half dose? Not sure why? But I do know that if I selected Pfizer that I would have received the full dose.

I would say that you made the right call. Both Pfizer and Moderna have been shown to have more durable immune response than others, with Moderna having the slight edge between the two. They cut the Moderna booster to half dose because it's almost as effective as the full dose when it comes to a booster, but the side-effect profile is improved.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Thank you Disarm. Makes sense and much appreciated.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

remember back in 2021 when Pfizer was the 'top-tier' vaccine in the popular imagination? now it's 2021 and the tables have turned!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:03 pm
Roman wrote:Got my booster shot yesterday - I'm a double AZ kid on the island of misfit toys hence the booster.

I would say that you made the right call. Both Pfizer and Moderna have been shown to have more durable immune response than others, with Moderna having the slight edge between the two. They cut the Moderna booster to half dose because it's almost as effective as the full dose when it comes to a booster, but the side-effect profile is improved.
I got the Moderna booster last week. What's this about elderly now? :think:
Black Lives Matter
Roman

Post by Roman »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:33 pm I got the Moderna booster last week. What's this about elderly now? :think:
If you have to ask then you fit the glass slipper :)
telcta

Post by telcta »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:45 am
telcta wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:20 am I’m scheduled for my Moderna booster this afternoon. After reading many experiences here, I’m expecting this to affect me more than the other shots. Any particular reason why people are getting hit hard with a booster that is less potent than the first couple shots, or is it the interaction with what’s already in the body?
I had zero reaction to my Moderna booster (mild response to the first two Moderna shots). It's seemingly totally random.
I had the same result, no reaction at all after the booster. Continued with exercising and drank a bunch of water.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Got my Phizer booster yesterday after drinking a quart of water. No ill effects except my arm is sore a f.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Vaccine that is administrated via inhalation is being tested in my future home, Canada:
"The novel part of our vaccine is that we're administering it by inhaled aerosol, and so the immune response that is generated in the lungs," Smaill told CBC Hamilton.

"Not only do we have the vector that is unique, but we also have the route of administration and the generation of what we call a mucosal immunity, which we believe is a very effective form of immunity against respiratory viruses like COVID."
We can already do this for influenza, so it makes sense. Plus it makes it so much easier to slip into contrails.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The FDA has opened up Pfizer's boosters for Americans 16+.

There was no ACIP meeting planned on this as of earlier this week, per a readout of a CDC call with states from Monday.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So, now I get to pester Smoove on what's the latest on boosters for 12+.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Q1 2022 is what I've heard. If the concern for 2 vs 3 shots is as high as I'm seeing, it will likely be early 2022.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just seeing this now - discussions on a 4th dose. Should probably have it after second breakfast and before Elevenses.

As long as the virus continues to spread unchecked, we are setting ourselves up for a treadmill of insanity. Or maybe we're already on it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:41 pm Just seeing this now - discussions on a 4th dose. Should probably have it after second breakfast and before Elevenses.

As long as the virus continues to spread unchecked, we are setting ourselves up for a treadmill of insanity. Or maybe we're already on it.
On the plus side, Treadmill of Insanity would be a great name for a metal band. Maybe it'd be therapeutic for you and other public health folks to form it (performances only via Zoom, of course).
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:41 pmmaybe
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:43 pm Treadmill of Insanity would be a great name for a metal band.
It was the name of my Jamiroquai cover band in college.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How are we doing with 5-11 year olds?

Eyes Not being discussed: CDC data shows that #COVID19 vaccination rates for 5 to 11 year-olds slowed down after the Thanksgiving holiday

If the trend holds, then fully-vaccinated % in this age group will plateau at 25% to 30% by Christmas/New Years Day
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My kids had their first dose right after Football and Turkey Day. Their second dose is coming up Saturday.

I scheduled them as soon as I could after their medical group told me that vaccines were available for them.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My sympathy for the stupid is still gone. They have access to the truth, they have access to safety. They chose the lie and suffering or death, for themselves and their neighbors.

But the kids don't get to make that choice. They're victims of their parents' stupidity. In a sane society, the parents would be charged with abuse and endangerment for every child who becomes ill because they refused to take precautions.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:15 pm Vaccine that is administrated via inhalation is being tested in my future home, Canada:
Smoove are you moving up here with us?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Roman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:44 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:15 pm Vaccine that is administrated via inhalation is being tested in my future home, Canada:
Smoove are you moving up here with us?
A lot of us may be by, say, December of 2024.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll be in the second wave.

That is to say, one of the refugees in the camp at the border. You wouldn't let me in otherwise.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Roman

Post by Roman »

come one come all! Happy to have you guys!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Roman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:44 am Smoove are you moving up here with us?
I am 100% serious in my intentions to do so, yes. My tie to my current location is my parents. If something happens to them, it's on - assuming I'm allowed entry. I am lobbying for Nova Scotia but apparently there are (still) restrictions to relocate there.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It would be more convenient for me if Canada would just annex the Great Lakes Region.

Come on guys, you know you want to.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:35 pm It would be more convenient for me if Canada would just annex the Great Lakes Region.

Well, Canada has been massing its population on our border for centuries now. I'm sure they're up to something.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I could make my own Vaxx id stab myself before each town trip.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:35 pm It would be more convenient for me if Canada would just annex the Great Lakes Region.

I could accept becoming a suburb of Windsor. We could be given up as reparations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Windsor
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Roman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:23 pm come one come all! Happy to have you guys!
Marked for posterity. You say that now, let’s see how you feel after we’ve been there a year and spent the entire time talking about how great we once were…

“Yeah, it’s pretty nice here I guess, but are you aware of the historical GDP comparison stats between the US (now Gilead) and Canada? No? Let me show you the table, I have it right here! We were sooooooooo awesome! (Sniff)”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:44 pm
Roman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:44 am Smoove are you moving up here with us?
I am 100% serious in my intentions to do so, yes. My tie to my current location is my parents. If something happens to them, it's on - assuming I'm allowed entry. I am lobbying for Nova Scotia but apparently there are (still) restrictions to relocate there.
Why Nova Scotia, out of curiosity?

I've contemplated moving to Toronto in 2025 following the Trump Coup and Restoration of 2024, myself.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LawBeefaroni wrote:It would be more convenient for me if Canada would just annex the Great Lakes Region.

Bring the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:19 pm Why Nova Scotia, out of curiosity?
The wife likes the ocean and I want to join the Fellowship of the Dig, so it works out. :lol: I honestly don't know how we can petition to relocate as I'd imagine they want us to demonstrate work/employment prospects.

Regardless, I've been looking at both Nova Scotia and the area around Thunder Bay, Ontario. I've been told people with the same family name settled there in the early 1900s, so I might have "relatives" in the area. Not sure if that would help, but it's like they really want me to do it.