Terminator Resistance

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaddison

Terminator Resistance

Post by Jaddison »

Got this at launch and am now at a lofty level 7!

This is a first person shooter with some RPG elements. So far it has a real tension as you try to scout out buildings while always on the lookout for machines. You can kill everything I have run into so far though you do have to be careful as they hit hard. You can't kill terminators with regular weapons but I haven't run into any yet....well not really.

There is lock-picking which is a skill. Hacking but I haven't had to do that yet and crafting. Every level you get a point to spend on the skill tree of which there are 9 trees that are linear.

So far it is entertaining and not too hard...there are 5 levels of difficulty and I am on the second level.......not sure how anyone would survive the highest unless your skill points come with you if you finish the game on a difficulty level.

There is a story and so far it is intriguing and is set not long after Judgement Day. In a new twist there is an "Annihilation Line" of Terminators advancing across the land that leave nothing alive which I guess makes them the clean-up crew after all the bombs
MonkeyFinger

Re: Terminator Resistance

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks for the impressions, been wondering how this was.
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I am really enjoying this and here is my Steam review:
This is a fun game, one that is greater than the sum of it's parts. It's got a lot of RPG lite elements - simple crafting. simple skill tree, some simple dialogue trees, collecting loot, couple of lockpicking and hacking minigames, simple weapon upgrades, etc. And graphics are not AAA by any means and the AI of the terminators isn't all that great. None of it, in and of itself is great, but it gets the job done.

Where the game really shines is the environment and music - they really capture what the movies have only hinted at - the gritty fight for survival of humans against Skynet in the bombed out ruins of America's cities. The sound effects and music are great and really capture that feel from the movies. And the game is relatively short, I expect it will be around 15 to 20 hours for me because I like to explore and there's lots of stuff to be found if you take your time. There's also a nice variety of mission types, from scouting to being ambushed to hunting for supplies, etc. All that said, despite the game's limitations, it's jus plain fun, and that's what really matters. If you're not a fan of the Terminator universe, you probably won't be able to overlook the limitations but if you are a fan, this is a very fun game, and you should probably add it to your collection.
I will answer any questions about the game anyone might have.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Finished, took me about 2 dozen hours or so, as I like to explore and take my time. First game I have 100% achievements! Pretty easy to get, most are story related, though there is one that you can easily miss unless you have the right skill at the time. Overall, I really enjoyed this, do not regret the purchase at all.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:50 pmI will answer any questions about the game anyone might have.
Adjustable FOV? Is there head/gun bobbing that can be disabled?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:58 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:50 pmI will answer any questions about the game anyone might have.
No head bobbing. You can adjust the FOV through an change in the .ini file (easy enough) but no way to do that in game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hopefully that's something they can patch it, but I'm no stranger to editing an .ini file, unfortunately. Thanks.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:56 pm Hopefully that's something they can patch it, but I'm no stranger to editing an .ini file, unfortunately. Thanks.
Here is the link the guide, it is very very simple:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1912590783
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grifman wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:14 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:56 pm Hopefully that's something they can patch it, but I'm no stranger to editing an .ini file, unfortunately. Thanks.
Here is the link the guide, it is very very simple:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1912590783
Someone in those comments said they were returning it and the devs were lazy. Lol. While I agree it should be part of the menus I find it funny a guy who cant open a file, change a number, then close it is calling someone else lazy. Back in my day we had to edit 2 files, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys every time we wanted to play a different game. Heck sometimes we had to make our own boot disk on a floppy then reboot the entire computer each time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

TR is getting a DLC in a few weeks:

Looks pretty good, I loved this game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its one of the games I check the price of regularly at isthereanydeal.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm Its one of the games I check the price of regularly at isthereanydeal.
It's 50% off on Steam right now!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:27 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm Its one of the games I check the price of regularly at isthereanydeal.
Thank you! Purchased!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. Thanks for the heads up.
Covfefe!
naednek

Post by naednek »

So, as a fellow gamer who suffers motion sickness like you, this one made me sick after 30 minutes of playing. I have turned off motion blur hoping that helps. At this point it's too late to tell, but I'll report back after a fresh gaming session once the motion sickness goes away.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Grifman wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:31 pm
No head bobbing. You can adjust the FOV through an change in the .ini file (easy enough) but no way to do that in game.

There is now. So at some point they added it in the settings menu
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:28 pm So, as a fellow gamer who suffers motion sickness like you, this one made me sick after 30 minutes of playing. I have turned off motion blur hoping that helps. At this point it's too late to tell, but I'll report back after a fresh gaming session once the motion sickness goes away.
I appreciate that! And yes, I saw that they added the FOV slider in at some point during 2020.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

New DLC game play trailer:

I'm psyched!
naednek

Post by naednek »

graphics and game play looks better than the base game. Makes me wonder if my settings are wrong...
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Shit. Wish I would have seen this.
Hopefully they'll repeat the deal for the Christmas sale.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gots no mooooonies. My last bit goes into Steam this month for wishmas..Im not missing that again. Its one thing that makes me happy.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:47 pm
They decided to appease you ahead of time. 50% off again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:08 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:47 pm
They decided to appease you ahead of time. 50% off again.
Whoo hoo!!! Thanks for the heads up, coop!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
raydude

Post by raydude »

No way, jose.
Excellent.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good DLC review that accepts the game for what is is, rather than judging it for what it isn’t:

https://screenrant.com/terminator-resis ... eview/amp/
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finished the main campaign in 13 hours. I really thought I was doing everything but missed a bunch of achievements and most of the ones I missed I have no idea what they are referring to so I guess I just missed whole sections of the maps and related subquests.

Regardless it was a great experience. It went from challenging early to feeling like I was the T-1000 at the end.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:05 pm I finished the main campaign in 13 hours. I really thought I was doing everything but missed a bunch of achievements and most of the ones I missed I have no idea what they are referring to so I guess I just missed whole sections of the maps and related subquests.

Regardless it was a great experience. It went from challenging early to feeling like I was the T-1000 at the end.
The maps aren’t huge but there are a number small side quests out there. There’s a fair amount of hidden stuff. For example I found a plasma sniper rifle early on just by entering a bombed out building that was easy to miss.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am feeling kinda mixed. I like how it's a lite RPG mixed with a FPS. My problem is that even after 6+ hours and tons of upgrades, I still feel like I'm super squishy and the Terminators are all bullet sponges. Not that they should be easy to kill, but I'm just not enjoying the combat.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:00 pm I am feeling kinda mixed. I like how it's a lite RPG mixed with a FPS. My problem is that even after 6+ hours and tons of upgrades, I still feel like I'm super squishy and the Terminators are all bullet sponges. Not that they should be easy to kill, but I'm just not enjoying the combat.
Strange, I didn't find it all that hard. Are you using plasma weapons? Regular guns just don't cut it against them. Until you get plasma weapons you just need to avoid them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Funny story. I did switch over to plasma weapons but I was using the single worst rifle there is - the one that hits hard but overheats super fast. I was trying to find better upgrades - I even had a ton of credits - but no where to shop. I think I'd forgotten about the quartermaster and not having a shopping cart on his location didn't help. Once I stumbled into his location and upgraded to different plasma weapons it was like night and day; wish I remembered that sooner.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I shall have this game one day.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:03 pm Funny story. I did switch over to plasma weapons but I was using the single worst rifle there is - the one that hits hard but overheats super fast. I was trying to find better upgrades - I even had a ton of credits - but no where to shop. I think I'd forgotten about the quartermaster and not having a shopping cart on his location didn't help. Once I stumbled into his location and upgraded to different plasma weapons it was like night and day; wish I remembered that sooner.
Well, there you go! It's also fun to use remote control bombs against them. Set the bomb, snipe around the corner, lure them in, and BOOM!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This game is even more fun that I thought it would be. Thanks to Coop and OO Wishmas I am able to play it. I didn't know it had a crafting element to it or that the NPCs would be so interactive and such with a good story. And the music is SPOT ON from the movies. Its a bit scary at times to be hiding from T-800s and hearing that dun dun dundun dunt!

Im impressed. Having so much fun. I hacked some turrets to my side and watched them tear apart a group of T-800s. I then went in and looted all their plasma guns...well as many as I could carry. Got expand my backpack.....then sold all but one . I need to raise my weapon skill before I can use it. Nice. It has crafting and skills a lot like FarCry games which i love so im good with it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finished this up just now tonight. Was a fun ride the entire way. I got the good ending stuffs. That last battle I was so immersed in it and stuff lol. When the machines started shutting down outside the time displacement building I was pumping my fist in the air lol. Solid game.