The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:51 am I was just on Amazon. I wanted a hollow book I can stick some cash in. Simple enough. I search for 'book safe', but all the results are more elaborate than what I want (I really don't need it to lock and have to keep track of a key.) So I start to put in 'fake book.'

*type type*

"F"... "A"... "K"... "E"...

Guess what the second suggestion was?

"Fake mask."

I clicked. It led me to listings of all sorts of lace masks, extra-thin masks, and every other variant you could ask for.

Amazon. What. In. The. Fuck.
If you have time and patience, a bottle of Elmer's, a knife, and a free hardcover book that's all you need. I used to use these as gift wraps back in the day.

Way better than the "security books" they sell.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I made one of those security books one time and put an Altoids tin with cash in it in there. I just thought it was something cool to do.

Cut to around 5 years later after I had completely forgotten about it and I happened to stumble across it in a move. $100 I wasn't expecting was hiding in there. Score! :horse:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Vatican has a mandatory vaccination policy and does not allow religious exemptions. Think about that for a second.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:24 am I made one of those security books one time and put an Altoids tin with cash in it in there. I just thought it was something cool to do.

Cut to around 5 years later after I had completely forgotten about it and I happened to stumble across it in a move. $100 I wasn't expecting was hiding in there. Score! :horse:
Too bad it was only worth $80 due to inflation.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I don’t understand how you can fire these brave souls, that worked on saving covid patients for a whole year before there was even a vaccine? Now they are going to collect unemployment ,food stamps ,housing and free medical. Their loss and burden will strain our system even further by these draconian laws.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
stessier

Post by stessier »

UsulofDoom wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:40 pm I don’t understand how you can fire these brave souls, that worked on saving covid patients for a whole year before there was even a vaccine? Now they are going to collect unemployment ,food stamps ,housing and free medical. Their loss and burden will strain our system even further by these draconian laws.
They are being fired for cause, so no need to worry about unemployment. Although if you wanted to, it's still not a big deal as those benefits are paid by the companies, not the government. Not sure what you're thinking of when you call our housing and free medical. One big problem with our system is that the safety net for unemployed people has giant holes in it around housing and medical - like, you won't have any.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
raydude

Post by raydude »

stessier wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:09 pm
UsulofDoom wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:40 pm I don’t understand how you can fire these brave souls, that worked on saving covid patients for a whole year before there was even a vaccine? Now they are going to collect unemployment ,food stamps ,housing and free medical. Their loss and burden will strain our system even further by these draconian laws.
They are being fired for cause, so no need to worry about unemployment. Although if you wanted to, it's still not a big deal as those benefits are paid by the companies, not the government. Not sure what you're thinking of when you call our housing and free medical. One big problem with our system is that the safety net for unemployed people has giant holes in it around housing and medical - like, you won't have any.
Yeah, I'm not sure "housing and free medical" means what you think it means.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Huh. Imagine that. The police ignoring violence in line with their union's position. Hard to believe. "Guys - let's help them put their tent back up. Job done!"

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And here’s me with your regular reminder that the police do not have a duty or responsibility to protect anyone or anything.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Indeed though it is quite illustrative to watch who they do and do not help. It's almost like there is a pattern right in front of us.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:41 pm Indeed though it is quite illustrative to watch who they do and do not help. It's almost like there is a pattern right in front of us.
What is the pattern you see?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Part of the pattern is that if you have right-wing views that they'll stand there and watch as you break the law. If you are protesting them or standing up for the rights of minorities they respond with disproportionate force, attacking protesters, and arrest and abuse the press in the process. But it's been a whole year; I guess people have forgotten how the police were blatantly abusing their power and rioting against the population over and over last year.
milo

Post by milo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:31 pm And here’s me with your regular reminder that the police do not have a duty or responsibility to protect anyone or anything.
...except each other, apparently.
--milo
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:37 pm Part of the pattern is that if you have right-wing views that they'll stand there and watch as you break the law. If you are protesting them or standing up for the rights of minorities they respond with disproportionate force, attacking protesters, and arrest and abuse the press in the process. But it's been a whole year; I guess people have forgotten how the police were blatantly abusing their power and rioting against the population over and over last year.
I think you need to look at the video again. it's not just whites. BLM is also against the Vaccine Mandates. Also last week it was reported that less than 30% of blacks 18 to 44 are vacinated in NYC.

https://www.cnsnews.com/index.php/blog/ ... tes-racist

malchior

Post by malchior »

UsulofDoom wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:07 am
malchior wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:37 pm Part of the pattern is that if you have right-wing views that they'll stand there and watch as you break the law. If you are protesting them or standing up for the rights of minorities they respond with disproportionate force, attacking protesters, and arrest and abuse the press in the process. But it's been a whole year; I guess people have forgotten how the police were blatantly abusing their power and rioting against the population over and over last year.
I think you need to look at the video again. it's not just whites. BLM is also against the Vaccine Mandates. Also last week it was reported that less than 30% of blacks 18 to 44 are vacinated in NYC.

https://www.cnsnews.com/index.php/blog/ ... tes-racist
Ah yes. The gotcha test. The tell tale sign of honest discourse. Another tell tale sign is posting a clip from a hard right-wing news site about something unrelated in both place place and time.
The police ignoring violence in line with their union's position.
Part of the pattern
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I doubt the officers on the scene made a decision to just let it happen because of a political view. If they tried to make an arrest, it would take at least two cops out of the scene and by the looks of it they were undermanned to begin with. All they can do disperse the assholes and try to keep order.

What would you do in their shoes? Engage the protestors and risk losing control (however tenuous) of the situation? Tents and tables aren't worth it.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:01 am
I doubt the officers on the scene made a decision to just let it happen because of a political view. If they tried to make an arrest, it would take at least two cops out of the scene and by the looks of it they were undermanned to begin with. All they can do disperse the assholes and try to keep order.

What would you do in their shoes? Engage the protestors and risk losing control (however tenuous) of the situation? Tents and tables aren't worth it.
How can you tell what their staffing level is for a march from this angle? Anyway, the idea that any march is understaffed in NY would be highly unusual. FWIW the reason I don't doubt the motivation is because I have a friend in the NYNJPA police and he was the one who shared this with me. :)

Also another note, he was saying that the whisper campaign against the vaccines is very real. He doesn't know any first-hand shenanigans but it does seem to be true that they are doing whatever they can to avoid getting the vaccine. Almost like they generally align with a political agenda...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Shocking!

(not that shocking)

Florida is the only state that hasn't submitted a plan to the Department of Education for how it'll use federal COVID relief funds for schools.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Who'd have thought - mandates work.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:33 am

How can you tell what their staffing level is for a march from this angle? Anyway, the idea that any march is understaffed in NY would be highly unusual. FWIW the reason I don't doubt the motivation is because I have a friend in the NYNJPA police and he was the one who shared this with me. :)

There are no cops on screen until the tent gets flipped. Only one comes in to try and break up the aggressors and three more straggle in eventually. None are equipped for riot control. If there was a huge line of cops off camera, they wouldn't trickle in one at a time. There are likely just officers posted every block or so. Either way, an arrest would escalate and no cop really wants to deal with that shit in a potentially hostile crowd with a thousand tiktokers rolling. Not for flipping a table and a tent (where are the sandbags, btw?).

You get 100 cops in riot gear? Sure they'll arrest and maybe even drop pepper spray. Beat guys roped into a double? Nah, make it to lunch.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:18 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:33 am

There are no cops on screen until the tent gets flipped. Only one comes in to try and break up the aggressors and three more straggle in eventually. None are equipped for riot control. If there was a huge line of cops off camera, they wouldn't trickle in one at a time. There are likely just officers posted every block or so. Either way, an arrest would escalate and no cop really wants to deal with that shit in a potentially hostile crowd with a thousand tiktokers rolling.
This is a frame of view that is pretty narrow. I've been to several walks in NYC. They never are understaffed by the police. They are some of the best in the world at managing the walk routes. They deal with it all the time. That there are only a few might just be a reflection of the general interest in getting involved at all. But the point about riot control gear is apropos. That is just one point of comparison about how protests are managed. In general, we see very different approaches to police preparation and reactions to different populations of activists. And it's pretty one sided most of the time.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:27 pm Who'd have thought - mandates work.

Watching a "lunch and learn" for vaccine hesitancy. It's crazy that we even have to do this but we have a gang of doctors on here answering questions/concerns about vaccines.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Should at least grab this little shit that flipped the table and tent while filming for his social media bullshit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:25 pm Should at least grab this little shit that flipped the table and tent while filming for his social media bullshit.
The officer is just like...move along...knuckleheads...getting up to all sorts of shenanigans. Get to stepping. The next day he might be sitting on someone's head because they are selling loose cigarettes on a corner. It isn't hard to see over and over the police treat different segments...differently in obvious ways.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 pm In what should come as a surprise to no one, Koch funding is behind some of the anti-masking rhetoric surrounding schools. This is is perfect example of how the problem is so much larger than what local officials (school, public health) are able to address. It's absolutely a coordinated attack happening at a national (international?) level, funded by dark money and unrelenting. Communities cannot fight against throngs of these lunatics all working from a common script provided to them from a coordinated, manipulative benefactor.
The document offers a rare glimpse into the inner workings of a well-financed conservative campaign to undermine regulations that health authorities say are necessary to contain the coronavirus. The frustration of many parents who want a greater say is deeply felt, school superintendents say. But their anger is also being fueled by organized activists whose influence is ordinarily veiled.

The letter was made available on Tuesday to paying members of the Independent Women’s Network, a project of the Independent Women’s Forum and Independent Women’s Voice that markets itself as a “members-only platform that is free from censorship and cancellation.” Both are nonprofits once touted by their board chairman and CEO, Heather Higgins, as part of a unique tool in the “Republican conservative arsenal” because, “Being branded as neutral but actually having the people who know, know that you’re actually conservative puts us in a unique position.”

Between this and the AFT hosting a forum yesterday where they invited respected researchers and public health experts to speak alongside anti-mask / anti-vaccination lunatics as part of round table event, I'm really losing faith. A national teacher's union giving a platform to anti-vax and anti-mask advocates is insane. Insane!
I don't understand what's in it for the funders.
Culture war divisions are what conservative power is based on.

Dead serfs doesn't change this.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So according to a study, it looks like the issues with Pfizer with regards to breakthrough infections are due to waning immunity, not due to the Delta variant. It's actually pretty effective against Delta.
The Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine is 90 percent effective at preventing hospitalization for up to six months, with no signs of waning during that time period, according to a large new U.S. study conducted by researchers at Pfizer and Kaiser Permanente.

The vaccine also provides powerful protection against the highly contagious Delta variant, the scientists found. In a subset of people who had samples of their virus sequenced, the vaccine was 93 percent effective against hospitalization from Delta, compared with 95 percent against hospitalization from other variants.

“Protection against hospitalization remains high over time, even when Delta predominates,” said Sara Tartof, an epidemiologist at Kaiser Permanente Southern California and the first author of the study.

The vaccine’s effectiveness against infection did decline over time, however, falling from 88 percent during the first month after vaccination to 47 percent after five months.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/scie ... study.html
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm not sure I trust that study: it only had a sample size of 3.5 million people. :o

But looking at the paper, while it seems the effectiveness against infection declined after five months, they didn't see a corresponding decline in effectiveness against hospitalization. So it seems like Pfizer still does a good job at preventing bad outcomes.

Also interesting is their table of the predominant strains of Covid. In April, Delta made up 0.6% of the samples. By July, Delta was over 86% of the samples. Wow.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, that Delta rise is why some are now saying the worst is behind us - that we're never gong to see anything like what just happened. While that seems likely in the short terms as there aren't any variants like Delta currently ripping through people elsewhere, with only ~57% of Americans vaccinated I'm not sure it's the greatest prediction either.

Going back to the politics of COVID-19, what the hell IDAHO [EDIT]. I'm watching you Iowa!

Extremely normal political situation in Idaho right now, where Lt. Gov. McGeachin is trying to ban testing and vaccine mandates and deploy the National Guard while the governor is out of state.

Context: Idaho is currently reporting more Covid deaths per 100,000 people than anywhere else in the country, and more than three times the national average.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:52 amGoing back to the politics of COVID-19, what the hell Iowa?
I mean, Iowa has a lot of problems--COVID-19-related, even--but I don't think this is Iowa's issue.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

She did this kind of shit before, didn't she? Don't understand why they don't just launch her.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:35 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:52 amGoing back to the politics of COVID-19, what the hell Iowa?
I mean, Iowa has a lot of problems--COVID-19-related, even--but I don't think this is Iowa's issue.
Apply more coffee!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thought this was well done.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:47 am She did this kind of shit before, didn't she? Don't understand why they don't just launch her.
I wasn't sure if it was that or I was having déjà vu.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:17 pmThought this was well done.
Yep but it doesn't matter. Hawley knows what he is doing and who he is talking to. When the DOJ put out the guidance about threats to school boards the right was screaming about tyranny from the get go. The right is completely radicalized up and down it. It really just feels like it is just a countdown to a spark. That is why he is doing this - he is pouring gasoline hoping to benefit when the fire breaks out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:58 pm When you really start to look at all the NTDs, it really does get a bit depressing because they're absolutely disproportionately affecting the poor and children.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hadn't seen that. Good stuff.

While I won't claim deep knowledge of the political climate in Bolivia, I'm guessing there's a connection to politics and this story:

Doctors in Bolivia are injecting people with bleach to prevent and treat COVID, and combat the “toxic effects” of vaccines. The country’s government legalized the production and sale of chlorine dioxide last year as an alternative treatment for COVID.
Deeper in the Tweet:
The movement to treat COVID with bleach has made enormous inroads across Latin America—from Argentina, where a popular TV anchor drank chlorine dioxide on live television, to Mexico, where local mayors were distributing it. Most people @VICEWorldNews
spoke with in Bolivia had consumed bleach to treat and/or prevent COVID, or knew someone who had. And on a major road in the Bolivian capital La Paz, a large graffiti sign declared: “No to the Jewish vaccine.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For Smoove...
Spoiler:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Never in my life did I ever think that album or that song in particular would have relevance in 2020/21. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Los Angeles approves one of nation's strictest vaccine orders, requiring proof of shots to enter most indoor businesses.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:12 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Los Angeles approves one of nation's strictest vaccine orders, requiring proof of shots to enter most indoor businesses.