The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote:Yes. And just like FL, people in parts of Oklahoma are being asked to use less water to free up LOX supplies.

Worth it.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:31 pm Yes. And just like FL, people in parts of Oklahoma are being asked to use less water to free up LOX supplies.

This really is the dumbest timeline.
Since the principled conservative position on everything now is to do the opposite of the Public Good, I assume people are running their showers and lawn sprinklers 24/7?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was wearing my KN95 mask at the kid’s basketballl game this morning. Guy next to me jokingly (I think) said “you know don’t have to wear those any more”. I just kinda shrugged it off, as I didn’t feel like getting into a discussion about it with a stranger.

He followed that up with “did you know that those disposable masks have asbestos in them?”. Which is apparently a salient talking point in derplandia.

Excused myself for a restroom break, and strategically positioned myself on the other side of the gym when I came back. Discussing anything with these people is never worth the effort.

We went to Scheels (big sporting goods store) after the game to get soccer cleats for Little B 12.6. We were the only people in the entire store wearing masks, employees included.

Sigh…
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:08 pm Since the principled conservative position on everything now is to do the opposite of the Public Good, I assume people are running their showers and lawn sprinklers 24/7?
I'm sure if someone suggests it's all liberals getting COVID and in need of oxygen right now, they would be.
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:29 pm We went to Scheels (big sporting goods store) after the game to get soccer cleats for Little B 12.6. We were the only people in the entire store wearing masks, employees included.
It's the same out here in NJ. Supermarket was packed because of the holiday weekend and my wife just ran in to get a few things. She said maybe 10% of the people inside were masked and so many workers had them under their nose or chin as to be pointless. She lost track of the young kids - clearly younger than 12 - just walking around with maskless parents.

It's filling me with a legitimate desire to just leave. It has to be better somewhere else than here - and I know where I am is likely better than average.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I guess I live in outlier area?

My neighborhood of Philadelphia is urban-residential but could be mistaken for dense suburbs. It's racially and economically mixed but still about two-thirds white. The voting pattern in 2020 was 70-30 Biden-Trump.

I see about 90% masking in the grocery stores I visit. As far as I'm aware there's no real enforcement by staff, so I assume this is self-regulated behavior. I honestly feel pretty safe.

My schedule allows me to shop during the late morning or early afternoon, avoiding the post-work rush, so perhaps that explains it. I'm in there with seniors who take their doctors' advice seriously.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm I guess I live in outlier area?

My neighborhood of Philadelphia is urban-residential but could be mistaken for dense suburbs. It's racially and economically mixed but still about two-thirds white. The voting pattern in 2020 was 70-30 Biden-Trump.

I see about 90% masking in the grocery stores I visit. As far as I'm aware there's no real enforcement by staff, so I assume this is self-regulated behavior. I honestly feel pretty safe.

My schedule allows me to shop during the late morning or early afternoon, avoiding the post-work rush, so perhaps that explains it. I'm in there with seniors who take their doctors' advice seriously.
I'm finding in my area that it depends somewhat on the kind of grocery store. I've noticed the Haris Teeter (higher-end grocery store, a level below Wegmans) probably has 40% masking. Aldi's (cheaper grocery store) has 90% masking, as does LA Mart - an Asian grocery store.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We had a lovely day at a winery today. Because it's in apple country, this place was a zoo on fall weekends before covid -- way more business than it could handle during apple season with lots of crowding and competition for limited seats. Now they seat by reservation (which costs $5/person, but you get a free glass) at distanced tables, and tastings and purchases for on-premises consumption are all done table-side, rather than in the retail shop. Since it's outdoors and rural, that's as safe as anything these days (esp. in highly vaccinated Mass.). Employees were masked anyway. When I went inside to buy a couple of bottles to take home, I was the only person in a mask, but the store was nearly empty. Oddly, I felt neither self-righteous nor self-conscious, nor did I feel judged. Achievement unlocked?

Grocery stores briefly went maskless when the CDC pronounced the pandemic over for the vaxxed. Since delta started, masks have been coming back. I'd say we're around 50% now. Remember, the delta surge hasn't grabbed us by the short curlies here yet. Schools are just now opening, so that's about to change; I hope to see indoor mask mandates make a comeback soon (already exist in Boston and Cambridge).
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Went out for drinks downtown last night with another couple. First time we’ve been anywhere requiring proof of vaccination to enter. I really hope that’s a growing trend.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 pm
It's filling me with a legitimate desire to just leave. It has to be better somewhere else than here - and I know where I am is likely better than average.
I was in the store today and there was 100% mask compliance that I saw. There are sucky things about CA, but willingness to mask isn't one in my area.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 pmIt's the same out here in NJ. Supermarket was packed because of the holiday weekend and my wife just ran in to get a few things. She said maybe 10% of the people inside were masked and so many workers had them under their nose or chin as to be pointless. She lost track of the young kids - clearly younger than 12 - just walking around with maskless parents.

In central NJ it is highly dependent on the neighborhood. My Home Depot is in MAGA land. No masking at all there. My Trader Joes and other local grocery stores are 90+%. I can see the polarization in real-time in 1/2 mile increments. I went and picked up dinner at a place where to my surprise 0% of the staff was masked and the woman at the counter feigned being able to hear me. :roll:
Last edited by malchior on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gbasden wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:57 am
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 pm
I was in the store today and there was 100% mask compliance that I saw. There are sucky things about CA, but willingness to mask isn't one in my area.
Same here but I think the big difference is that we, like CA, have state and local mask mandates. They're required in all indoor areas. Of course we don't tend to have Proud Boys out protesting in front of Kroger or elementary schools, which helps too.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've said it before, but state mask mandates are key.

In NC, with mask mandate in place, it's 90% everywhere I go. When they dropped it, it was probably 10%. Governor put the mask mandate back in place, and now it's back up to 90%

The vast majority of people want to abide by the law. Also the vast majority of people aren't going to do something voluntarily unless there's something in it for them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My state should be an interesting data point as our governor has refused to reinstate a mask mandate since it was lifted (presumably) for the summer back in May. Cases have a 7 day average of around 2K and we've been above 1K cases since 7/31. They're dropping, but I suspect that's about to change. Hospitalizations are down slightly, but still above 1K, in July they were around 300, now we're solidly over 1K.

My point with all this is that COVID-19 has been at persistent relatively low levels all summer - at a level that is apparently now acceptable to NJ residents. Schools broadly start tomorrow and our levels of circulating virus are about 3x higher now than they were last year - and schools were fully remote.

It really does feel like someone flipped a switch months ago in my part of NJ and just decided, nah, we're done with all this. I feel like that's going to make the next phase even worse.

The United States is now reporting 1,561 new coronavirus deaths per day, the highest seven-day average since March 9, according to data from @CNN and Johns Hopkins University.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:05 pmIt really does feel like someone flipped a switch months ago in my part of NJ and just decided, nah, we're done with all this. I feel like that's going to make the next phase even worse.
I can see that here too and I suspect we'll have a mask mandate November 3rd if we still need it. It's horrible but we have to take cynical reads that the politics matter more than the lives. That viewpoint is too often predictive of political behavior in our broken nation. Murphy can't or won't take the risk that that one decision will blow up in his face. And unfortunately it's probably the right one being how things are.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:35 am I've said it before, but state mask mandates are key.

In NC, with mask mandate in place, it's 90% everywhere I go. When they dropped it, it was probably 10%. Governor put the mask mandate back in place, and now it's back up to 90%
Just got back from Target, where masks are “recommended” but not mandatory. I would guess that maybe 10% of people were wearing them. All of the employees were, but at least half of those were dick-nosing it, so they did no good.

COVID’s all over in Utah, apparently. :roll:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Shopping today, no mandates. I'd guess I was seeing maybe 30% masks. The county was 40/60 for Trump in 2020, so I figure they'll gain a few more masks, but not many.

/edit - the state ICU bed availability is at its lowest, lower even than at the last peak. Michelle said they've gotten calls from the hospitals in Indianapolis looking for places to send patients. Indy is two hours away, and the hospital here is one story.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’ve noticed way more masks in the stores here in FL. They went away nearly to zero there for a bit, but now it’s closer to 50-50 or even 60-40 mask usage over the past few weeks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Started back to in person school last week. Today the first teacher tested positive. This is adding so much stress. :evil:
Hope my friend stays mild cases wise and nobody else gets it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Remus West wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:08 pm Started back to in person school last week. Today the first teacher tested positive. This is adding so much stress. :evil:
I’m assuming this was a vaccinated friend/ coworker
Stay safe.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's so good - and true.

School has started in NJ and two large school districts in the Trumpiest parts of our state indicated that they're not wearing masks this week because it's "too hot". When the governor signed the order there was an inclusion for temperature-related exemptions. While not specific, the idea is to account for days when it's 90+ and humid. For reference, today in NJ it's around 82% with some humidity. These school districts have been vocal about being forced to wear masks so now they're taking advantage of an exemption for stiggin' it purposes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How's it going local school board in Missouri?

Fistfights broke out tonight after the Pleasant Hill, MO School Board voted unanimously to require masks. One member was out with covid and unable to vote. At least one man was arrested.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

malchior wrote:Solid piece showing the face of the people in the thick of this national disgrace in Texas The video is a must watch to see the toll this is taking.
That’s the Hospital one town over from me. About 11 miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:05 pm Just got back from Target, where masks are “recommended” but not mandatory. I would guess that maybe 10% of people were wearing them. All of the employees were, but at least half of those were dick-nosing it, so they did no good.

I got back from Target like three or four months ago when my states rate of infection spread was higher year over year than it was in 2020. I have not been back to Target since. I was literally the only person with a mask on. Not a single employee was masked or another customer. They may have improved their policy since then, but until this becomes an endemic, I won't be back. That was my second to worse experience. The worst being I allowed myself to go to a departmental lunch and the whole restaurant was carrying on like there was never pandemic. So everyone was loud and drinking and lingering in addition to everyone being unmasked (staff inclusive). My first real indoor dining experience was my last for now.
Remus West wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:08 pm Started back to in person school last week. Today the first teacher tested positive. This is adding so much stress. :evil:
One part of my family is so reckless it is beginning to add stress to my father (It long since stressed me out into stopping communications) who sits firmly in the "personal choice" camp and knows my mother empathizes with that part of family and isn't getting vaccinated. I still thank pancake she has enough sense to be socially hygienic and masked. But that only does so much good when her kin doesn't.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There were a LOT of heartbreak stories in Texas. There was an earlier CBS report that a 2-time Afghanistan veteran died of gallstones because they can't find him a bed in one of the bigger hospitals until it's too late, due to COVID.

In fact, multiple states have quietly signed laws getting ready to ration care due to full or nearly full ICUs.

Idaho has declared "crisis standard" in 10 hospitals where they reserve the right to give care to patients most likely to survive, even as they tried to get more staff and turn conference rooms and meeting spaces into COVID wards. Idaho has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the US.

Hawaii governor has signed into law releasing hospital and staff from liability should they need to enact similar standards due to Labor Day weekend, where large gatherings occurred despite prohibitions. They are afraid they'll see a huge surge of cases in 2 weeks as another super-spreader wave. ICU in Hawaii is already near capacity.

In some Oregon counties, they are requested refrigerated trucks because their morgue is full due to COVID.

And this is almost ALL due to the unvaxxed.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Very glad I got my kidney surgery in 2019.

I posted a link to a story where twins got Covid. One was vaccinated the other not. One was asymptomatic the other died in hospital.

Real shame theres not a killer virus that simply infect the combo of dumb asshole human.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The hospital here is small, yet our county is ranked second in the state for positive cases (900+ per 100k.) They've had to expand the COVID unit so much that it is more than half of all rooms.

Our morgue holds two.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:33 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:05 pm Just got back from Target, where masks are “recommended” but not mandatory. I would guess that maybe 10% of people were wearing them. All of the employees were, but at least half of those were dick-nosing it, so they did no good.

I got back from Target like three or four months ago when my states rate of infection spread was higher year over year than it was in 2020. I have not been back to Target since. I was literally the only person with a mask on. Not a single employee was masked or another customer. They may have improved their policy since then, but until this becomes an endemic, I won't be back. That was my second to worse experience. The worst being I allowed myself to go to a departmental lunch and the whole restaurant was carrying on like there was never pandemic. So everyone was loud and drinking and lingering in addition to everyone being unmasked (staff inclusive). My first real indoor dining experience was my last for now.
While I've cut back to the absolute minimum on any social activities, I can't stay in my house forever. I'm not saying that in a "I feel so cooped up and need to go have fun" way, but in a "I do need to buy clothes, groceries, and other necessities" sort of way.

It's where my hopelessness kicks in, knowing that even those necessary activities are risky because I have two kids under 12 and no one gives enough of a shit about anyone else to take even the bare minimum precautions.

In short, people freaking suck.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:37 pm There were a LOT of heartbreak stories in Texas. There was an earlier CBS report that a 2-time Afghanistan veteran died of gallstones because they can't find him a bed in one of the bigger hospitals until it's too late, due to COVID.

In fact, multiple states have quietly signed laws getting ready to ration care due to full or nearly full ICUs.

Idaho has declared "crisis standard" in 10 hospitals where they reserve the right to give care to patients most likely to survive, even as they tried to get more staff and turn conference rooms and meeting spaces into COVID wards. Idaho has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the US.

Hawaii governor has signed into law releasing hospital and staff from liability should they need to enact similar standards due to Labor Day weekend, where large gatherings occurred despite prohibitions. They are afraid they'll see a huge surge of cases in 2 weeks as another super-spreader wave. ICU in Hawaii is already near capacity.

In some Oregon counties, they are requested refrigerated trucks because their morgue is full due to COVID.

And this is almost ALL due to the unvaxxed.
Fuck the unvaccinated. Their care should be way at the back of the que. This makes me goddamned sick to my stomach. Fuck the unvaccinated for making people to die because they're too selfish to get a goddamn shot. Fuck the hospitals for not dropping their priority to the very bottom of the barrel. Stupid selfish assholes!
Last edited by Drazzil on Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Another video showing what parents are encouraging in Michigan:

Students at a school in Manchester, MI, instigated by parents, refuse to comply with the mask mandate and enter school. This is the next phase - school boards can enact policies, but someone also has to enforce them.
"They can't touch you"

Unreal.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:10 pm Another video showing what parents are encouraging in Michigan:

Students at a school in Manchester, MI, instigated by parents, refuse to comply with the mask mandate and enter school. This is the next phase - school boards can enact policies, but someone also has to enforce them.
"They can't touch you"

Unreal.
It's still warm in Oregon. I wonder what things will be like when it gets cold?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:56 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:33 pm

While I've cut back to the absolute minimum on any social activities, I can't stay in my house forever. I'm not saying that in a "I feel so cooped up and need to go have fun" way, but in a "I do need to buy clothes, groceries, and other necessities" sort of way.

It's where my hopelessness kicks in, knowing that even those necessary activities are risky because I have two kids under 12 and no one gives enough of a shit about anyone else to take even the bare minimum precautions.

In short, people freaking suck.

I guess I'm lucky and have options. I found my tolerance level. It's my Costco, where too many go unmasked but it's a big warehouse and on the worst day it's been 50/50 with employees masking or faceshielding and not very many people lingering. I don't have a lot of love for those who have disregard for the state of our general welfare but I am willing to tolerate it. My local ALDI, is where I end up most. For whatever reason, compliance there is nearly 100%. I think maybe the anti mask crowd got angry at the volume of sheep shopping there and treat it like I treat Target. I'm very much OK with that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:10 pm Another video showing what parents are encouraging in Michigan:

"They can't touch you"

Unreal.
Manchester, is not you would call... progressive... It might be what *I* would call... A jurisdiction I would avoid since the rise of MAGA...

Also if I were a teacher I would walk out. But then teachers in Manchester might not have that same attitude. If I were a student, I'd walk out as well...

"Be kind and respectful" after "It's not the law, it's a mandate..." :think:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:10 pm "They can't touch you"

Unreal.
"Be kind and respectful"

Umm...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Seeing now that the Texas abortion law is overloading women's clinics in Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Well done, Texas. Just what everyone needs and just when they need it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's a shame the parents are the ones acting like children in that scenario. I'm so sick of the goddamn mask whining. Grow the fuck up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:45 pm Seeing now that the Texas abortion law is overloading women's clinics in Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Well done, Texas. Just what everyone needs and just when they need it.
See also: Colorado.