THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Max Peck »

Ontario has lowered the age of elegibility for the AZ vaccine to 55 and also expanded the number of pharmacies administering it across the province, including an initial 34 sites here in Ottawa.

34 Ottawa pharmacies to offer vaccines to ages 55+
Ontario's expanded pharmacy pilot project will bring the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccines into pharmacies in every eastern Ontario health unit for people aged 55 and above, including 34 in Ottawa.

The province said Thursday the expansion may take hold as early as Saturday. People are asked to check the province's list of what's now about 700 participating locations and to contact individual pharmacies for an appointment.
Other communities in eastern Ontario that will be offering pharmacy shots include Belleville, Brockville, Hawkesbury and Pembroke. They've been offered in the Kingston area for a few weeks.

The plan is to expand the program to about 1,500 pharmacies across Ontario by the end of the month.

This week Ontario suspended use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine in people younger than 55 as experts study safety concerns in other age groups.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:48 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:03 am
Alefroth wrote:Washington is basically going on the honor system starting tomorrow. The phase finder tool is being eliminated and providers are being instructed not to inquire about eligibility. Our eligibility tiers are still in effect and they are counting on people doing the right thing and waiting their turn. I really don't feel like being the person who does the right thing once again.
I think there is a disconnect between the official order from Governors’ offices and the reality on the ground (especially at the large vaccination sites run by hospitals, not talking about publix, CVS, et al)

I’m sure there are state by state differences, but I’ve read about this happening in more than just my area.

While we are technically still following phases here, informally these larger sites are begging people...ANYbody to come and get vaccinated.

My 16 YO got hers last week bc there was a slew of ppl talking on Instagram about ‘anybody who wants to get vaccinated should go to x location now’.

I personally was not asked about my ‘qualification’ at all, in person. Was only warned when I signed up online that I would need to show some kind of proof that I was eligible.

Bottom line is that “total number of shots in arms” is the primary metric, and as more supply has obviously opened up, the restrictions and phases have loosened (if only informally).
Western Washington is just not like that. i'm on several stand-by lists and i have heard _nothing_ from them.
as i suspected, demand is extremely high here:
According to a new survey from the U.S. Census Bureau, which was conducted from Mar. 3-15, there were more than 2.1 million adults in the Seattle metro area who had not yet been vaccinated. Of those, 73% — that’s nearly 1.6 million people — said they definitely plan to get the vaccine.

That 73% ranks Seattle No. 1 for willingness to be vaccinated (among those who have not yet been), out of the 15 largest U.S. metro areas. At the other end of the spectrum, in California’s Riverside-San Bernardino metro, just 43% of those who were unvaccinated in March said they definitely planned to take the vaccine.

The Seattle metro area, which includes King, Pierce and Snohomish counties, also ranks far higher than the national average, which was 51% in the March survey.
Although the Seattle metro area ranked No. 1 for willingness to be vaccinated against COVID-19, the availability of the vaccine isn’t on par with the demand.

At the time of the survey, just 29% of adults in our area said they had received at least one dose of the vaccine. That ranked us 15th out of the 15 largest metros. In some other states, all adults are already eligible to be vaccinated.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... d-vaccine/
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

First day of eligibility (50+) for my wife and me here in California and I stayed up late last night to get us an appointment. Currently sitting through our waiting period in the parking lot after getting our J&J shots. Nobody in the area had Pfizer/Moderna available.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Connecticut opened up to anyone 16+ today. The questions seem to be how many people are willing and how long you'll have to wait for a spot in line. The administration system here has actually been really well organized, so I have a feeling we'll be able to get people vaccinated pretty much as quickly as the shots are supplied.

I guess we'll see how it works out...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Just got notice of my eligibility and submitted a request to my PCP.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Figure it will be a couple more months here.

My sister got both her shots of Pfizer. She said the first one she had no reaction but the second one kept her up all night and she felt like she was dying all night. Was better by morning.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since I now qualify by age, I winnowed down the list of pharmacies administering vaccines here in the city to the ones within reasonable walking distance (I don't have a car and really don't want to use public transit or Uber or whatever). The closest one is some sort of weird homeopathic place, so I skipped over that to the next closest option, which is located in a supermarket about a 45 minute stroll down the road. They're owned by the same corporation as my local pharmacy, so I was able to use my existing account to register for the vaccine. The way they are doing it is that you register and when capacity is available they will contact you to arrange an appointment, so for better or worse there is no sitting on a website and waiting to snipe an opening. I'd guess they are doing it like this because, to some degree, they are limited by available doses more than by available time slots. There were a bunch of screening questions that are related to things like whether you have existing medical conditions or are an essential worker, so I'm guessing patients that are more at risk will be prioritized above me, but I'm OK with that.

Since I'm very lazy, I'll let this percolate for a few days before I worry about shopping around for other options that are located further afield. :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So you're lazy and yet will walk 45 minutes to a shot?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A 90-120 minute round-trip would be a fairly typical daily walkabout, pre-Coronatide. I still do a minimum of 10k-steps* a day, but for the last year that's mostly been jogging in place, indoors, instead of going out for walks. Technically, the actual walking would be safe enough, but I live in a highrise and I've just gotten used to avoiding running the gauntlet of unventilated hallways and stairwells necessary to get outside unless I actually need to go somewhere.

* Yes, 10k steps per day is an entirely arbitrary benchmark, but it works for me, so meh.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Took the wife for her second shot today and another meal out eating dinner at a barbecue joint. I’m not feeling all that great, but in my family you power through feeling wobbly :dance:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Snagged an appointment for the Moderna vaccine on April 7th. 2nd stick on May 5th. Totally coincidentally, the vaccine clinic is on the campus of a college I teach for. Guess that means I shouldn't show up in sweatpants.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I’m really sure I haven’t had the flu since college which was 50 years ago because the way I feel right now I’m pretty sure I have never felt that since I was in college.

I feel like someone beat on my upper arms and upper legs with a wiffleball bat.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last flu I had was the 90s. I was in bed 3 days solid.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Not gonna lie, the second shot kicked my ass.

I had already scheduled PTO for the day after in anticipation but I had to call in yesterday too. I had a fever that just would not stay broken and chills and body aches.

Feeling a solid 75% better today. Still going to try and not leave the house if I can get away with it. Work may have other plans though...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

No side effects here from second covid shot yesterday.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

No ill effects from yesterday's Pfizer shot.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No side effects from my first Moderna shot ten days from now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:37 am No side effects from my first Moderna shot ten days from now.
I see what you did there.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 pm
Yeah, not to mention the small businesses. Thankfully some of them have started transitioned to offering online ordering and curbside pickup, but it's a pain in the ass when everything is changing all the time. For example, just before the province-wide lockdown was decided upon, locally they had allowed restauraunts with patios to open even though we were in a grey zone, but now I'm sure they won't be allowed to remain open.
Right? How many restaurants just put in an order for food, kegs etc only to have everything go to spoil again because of the lockdown - yet for some reason it's totally safe to let the unwashed masses into a walmart. Makes zero sense.

Rumpy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 pm Hah, air travel here is ridiculously expensive, so much so that the joke is that Canadians often travel to Detroit, leave their car there and fly from to wherever they need to go. But of course that wouldn't work during Covid.
Right now I can book a flight to Miami round trip on Air Canada from Pearson for $400 all taxes and fees in ($426 to be precise). Sure it's not free, but if there's continued delays here I won't hesitate to spend the money whenever private clinics start offering it for a fee in the US - but I'm encouraged to see Ontario is now sitting on 500k doses in freezers, and a friend of ours in public health just got her vaccine because they are opening up new clinics.

I don't understand why they don't just open pre-registration to everyone, and then text/email/call people as they enter a bracket in their area to get a shot. This would solve the problem in Toronto where 70+ year olds weren't making appointments so the clinics sat idle while people 60-70 years old wanted a shot as an example, just start working your way through the list based on dose and clinic availability. At least that way you have a number to being to gauge vaccine demand in all areas of the province and can schedule it - right now it's more of a "hope for the best" delivery and scheduling process which isn't well thought out.
No.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:37 pmas i suspected, demand is extremely high here:
According to a new survey from the U.S. Census Bureau, which was conducted from Mar. 3-15,
March 3 is an age ago in this scenario. Anecdotally look how the messages on this board have changed since then. We have a LOT more supply in the system (again, as I mentioned, this would vary state by state) than we did a month ago. By system I mean the entire country.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Still looking for a vax appointment (Daily for the last few weeks). I'm 58 and they just opened it to everyone 16+ here. So I guess its gonna be awhile.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wife just got her second. In her condition I'm expecting problems.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just got my first jab of Pfizer. My appointment was for tomorrow, but I drove Wife to hers today and asked if they could take me a day early to avoid having to make another trip. Score! Thank you, Walgreens.

I asked them to consolidate our followup appointments, but changing one officially is a big hairy deal since it reverberates thru the system. The pharmacist said if we just show up together again they can most likely do it. If she's working, she definitely will.

Both of us are getting a bit of a sore arm just an hour later.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FishPants wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:18 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 pm Hah, air travel here is ridiculously expensive, so much so that the joke is that Canadians often travel to Detroit, leave their car there and fly from to wherever they need to go. But of course that wouldn't work during Covid.
Right now I can book a flight to Miami round trip on Air Canada from Pearson for $400 all taxes and fees in ($426 to be precise). Sure it's not free, but if there's continued delays here I won't hesitate to spend the money whenever private clinics start offering it for a fee in the US - but I'm encouraged to see Ontario is now sitting on 500k doses in freezers, and a friend of ours in public health just got her vaccine because they are opening up new clinics.
I guess the real question is, would you really want to when the pandemic is ravaging everything. There's too much risk, both for you and for them, to make that an option. And I guess I'm really surprised to hear they wouldn't ask you where you come from, and bar it to local residents only.
I don't understand why they don't just open pre-registration to everyone, and then text/email/call people as they enter a bracket in their area to get a shot. This would solve the problem in Toronto where 70+ year olds weren't making appointments so the clinics sat idle while people 60-70 years old wanted a shot as an example, just start working your way through the list based on dose and clinic availability. At least that way you have a number to being to gauge vaccine demand in all areas of the province and can schedule it - right now it's more of a "hope for the best" delivery and scheduling process which isn't well thought out.
That'd be a great idea. But it won't work as long as the entire province is on an unequal footing in terms of delivery. I think it would be something that would require the entire province to be wired into. Right now, we're just starting to hear talk about certain pharmacies in our region that will be offering the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Last edited by Rumpy on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:20 pm Wife just got her second. In her condition I'm expecting problems.
I hope things go well with her! It does seem rather hit or miss. My wife got her 2nd Moderna at 7pm yesterday and I expected some problems today, but so far(!) thankfully she's just tired and taking a nap. She takes naps most every afternoon so maybe there's nothing to it.

I was really suffering last evening from my Wednesday afternoon 2nd Moderna shot with body aches, stuffed head and general malaise. And worse of all I couldn't seem to get to sleep. Finally gave up and took a sleeping pill and feel pretty much normal now after sleeping till almost noon.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:37 am No side effects from my first Moderna shot ten days from now.
Just wait until you are ten days from the second Moderna shot to see what kind of side effects you will get.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:56 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:20 pm Wife just got her second. In her condition I'm expecting problems.
I hope things go well with her! It does seem rather hit or miss. My wife got her 2nd Moderna at 7pm yesterday and I expected some problems today, but so far(!) thankfully she's just tired and taking a nap. She takes naps most every afternoon so maybe there's nothing to it.

I was really suffering last evening from my Wednesday afternoon 2nd Moderna shot with body aches, stuffed head and general malaise. And worse of all I couldn't seem to get to sleep. Finally gave up and took a sleeping pill and feel pretty much normal now after sleeping till almost noon.
My wife had no problems with the second Moderna shot (other than a sore arm) and I thought if anyone would it would be her. Meanwhile I had a sick 24 hours.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Meanwhile, in local news (IE, not Canada :wink:), Florida Issues Executive Order Banning "Vaccine Passports"
Keeping his promise to prohibit so-called "vaccine passports," Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday that would ban local governments and state businesses from requiring proof of COVID-19 vaccination for services.

"No Florida government entity, or its subdivisions, agents, or assigns, shall be permitted to issue vaccine passports, vaccine passes, or other standardized documentation for the purpose of certifying an individual's COVID-19 vaccination status to a third party, or otherwise publish or share any individual's COVID-19 vaccination record or similar health information," the order states.

The move was not unexpected. DeSantis had previously said he opposed requiring proof of vaccination.

It’s completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply participate in normal society,” the governor had said.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

US rolling 7-day average vaccinations is now at 2.99M/day. Woot woot.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:01 pm Meanwhile, in local news (IE, not Canada :wink:), Florida Issues Executive Order Banning "Vaccine Passports"
Keeping his promise to prohibit so-called "vaccine passports," Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday that would ban local governments and state businesses from requiring proof of COVID-19 vaccination for services.

"No Florida government entity, or its subdivisions, agents, or assigns, shall be permitted to issue vaccine passports, vaccine passes, or other standardized documentation for the purpose of certifying an individual's COVID-19 vaccination status to a third party, or otherwise publish or share any individual's COVID-19 vaccination record or similar health information," the order states.

The move was not unexpected. DeSantis had previously said he opposed requiring proof of vaccination.

It’s completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply participate in normal society,” the governor had said.
Did he forget what state he's the governor of? Cruise ships will not sail out of Florida ports without passengers providing proof of vaccination.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:56 pm
I guess the real question is, would you really want to when the pandemic is ravaging everything. There's too much risk, both for you and for them, to make that an option. And I guess I'm really surprised to hear they wouldn't ask you where you come from, and bar it to local residents only.
No - not at this point, but if this snails pace continues and the pandemic eases state side because of the vaccine distribution then yes. I have offered to fly my MIL/FIL to California to stay with one of their relatives so they can get a vaccine there (they are from Northern Ontario and still have zero options even though they are 70+ with some health issues)). For now they are waiting, because the risk of flying is too high and they are hoping Justin and Doug start doing their f'ing jobs.

Anyhow it's not in the cards yet, but it's certainly not off the table either - I'm not taking the AZ vaccine, so that will also reduce my options a bit (although I'm 44, so for now I wouldn't be offered that until the next study which shows people only randomly drop dead from it aged 54-56 ;) )

That'd be a great idea. But it won't work as long as the entire province is on an unequal footing in terms of delivery. I think it would be something that would require the entire province to be wired into. Right now, we're just starting to hear talk about certain pharmacies in our region that will be offering the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Yep if you're good with the AZ vaccine, Shoppers and a handful of other pharmacies are on the list (there's a list here).
No.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gilraen wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:13 pm Did he forget what state he's the governor of? Cruise ships will not sail out of Florida ports without passengers providing proof of vaccination.
Cruise ships, IIRC, also come under Federal jurisdiction and if they are traveling to foreign ports there would also be that nations rules to consider. This is addressed in section 5 of the executive order.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FishPants wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:16 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:56 pm
No - not at this point, but if this snails pace continues and the pandemic eases state side because of the vaccine distribution then yes. I have offered to fly my MIL/FIL to California to stay with one of their relatives so they can get a vaccine there (they are from Northern Ontario and still have zero options even though they are 70+ with some health issues)). For now they are waiting, because the risk of flying is too high and they are hoping Justin and Doug start doing their f'ing jobs.

Don't know where in Northern Ontario they are, but our region in Northern Ontario, ie the Sudbury District has just started accepting bookings for 70+, a day early even. And it's also coupled with the news that booking is finally available via the government website. In fact, they recommend going through with the website in favor of the phone number. So, I'd expect 70+ to happen soon in their region.

Yeah, I'm also in your age range, and I'm really not expecting mine anytime soon.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wife's second covid shot from yesterday morning hasn't affected her much. Thank goodness.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:28 pm Wife's second covid shot from yesterday morning hasn't affected her much. Thank goodness.
Glad to hear it. Which vaccine did she get?

The day after Pfizer shot 1 me and Wife were both fatigued and had sore arms, but no worse than the flu vaccine. I'm told that shot 2 can be a doozy. I'll find out in 4 weeks.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Pfixer I think. I had the Moderna.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

After all the hassle of getting an appointment the actual injection was an anticlimax. There should be more hoopla for a rite of passage like this. There ought to be snacks. When I used to give blood they had munchies and beverages for the 15-minute observation. The recovery room at the pharmacy didn't even have cell service. We had to spend 15 minutes with no internet and no snacks. An ordeal like that makes a fine story of deprivation for the grandkids but it sucked in the here-and-now. I demand Cheetos.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The VA gives you Little Debbies and Budweiser. Too bad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

first shot was way worse for both of my parents - dad got the gout (no kidding) and mom's arthritis flared up in all of her affected joints. second was just a sore arm for a day.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Got my Johnson and Johnson shot from Alexandria Health Department Friday 11am at the Potomac Yard mall. It was very well managed. Entrance to the parking lot was cordoned off by Alexandria police and manned with people directing traffic at every turn. Almost felt like the parking experience at Disney World with how efficient it was. Alexandria Health was operating out of the abandoned storefront that used to be Pier 1 Imports.

Then as soon as I parked, a lady tapped on my passenger side window, asked if I had an appointment, and handed me a flyer with a QR code on it. Asked me to register on the website with the QR code and enter my information and pick the vaccine time closest to my appointment. I noticed that the flyer also had a tinyURL on it for folks who didn't know how to work a QR reader. That was nice. I entered my info, which mostly consisted of asking about my health that day.

In another nice touch the selection of vaccination times also showed how many slots were open for each time slot. Since I arrived at the parking lot 35 minutes before my scheduled time I checked the 11am time slot and saw that it had 35 slots open, so I moved up my appt time to 11am. I got out, followed the line of people to the storefront, was asked if I registered online and received the confirmation email, which I did, and showed them on my phone. Then I followed the line of 6ft spacing dots they placed on the floor; everyone else was also minding the dots and social distancing.

Friday had a brisk wind and was around 45degF that morning but luckily I was soon inside, had my forehead temperature taken and was given another flyer about the effects of the J&J vaccine. Made my way to the appt confirmation site, two rows of tables against the wall, with volunteers and laptops at the tables. They had little placards saying "open" which they would hold up when they could take the next person. I went to one and gave my name and she checked it against her list and gave me an orange sticky note. "This is your ticket to get the shot." Coolness.

Another line with 6ft spacing dots, then through a door into a vast warehouse filled with vaccination tables, each one manned by two people; one administering the shot and the other writing down info and recording the time of shot. Made my way to a table where two nice old ladies told me about the vaccine card I would get, recording my shot information and not to lose it! Also was given a pamphlet to the optional "V-care" (or V-sign? can't remember) program with the CDC. I could sign up with the QR code and then would periodically receive a text message directing me to a website to answer a short questionnaire about my symptoms post-shot.

Finally, I was told that I could either wait in the waiting area for 15 minutes or go back in my car and wait there for 15 minutes. If I chose the car option I just had to honk my horn twice and a volunteer would come running. Took a look at the nearly filled waiting area and opted for waiting in the car.

All told I was in and out in about 15 minutes. Alexandria really knows how to do a mass vaccination. No symptoms on that day, but this morning I had slight dizziness and body aches.