COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:05 am
Malificent wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:55 am Got my first shot this morning (Pfizer), second shot already scheduled. Process was super efficient and very comfortable, so yay. Biggest side effect is giddiness from finally getting a vaccine and seeing a return to my board gaming schedule in my future.
:envy: That is the exact giddiness I want from the same cause. Assuming the same 2 shot course, the two months between shot one and the belief it's OK to go game will be like the final days of a prison sentence, I imagine.
It is a strange feeling, for sure. On the one hand, I want to do a little dance. On the other, absolutely nothing has changed, nor will it for many weeks (and the change will be muted for months after that at the least, as I have kids ineligible for vaccination anytime soon).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 am
Malificent wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:55 am Got my first shot this morning (Pfizer), second shot already scheduled. Process was super efficient and very comfortable, so yay. Biggest side effect is giddiness from finally getting a vaccine and seeing a return to my board gaming schedule in my future.
:envy: That is the exact giddiness I want from the same cause. Assuming the same 2 shot course, the two months between shot one and the belief it's OK to go game will be like the final days of a prison sentence, I imagine.
It is a strange feeling, for sure. On the one hand, I want to do a little dance. On the other, absolutely nothing has changed, nor will it for many weeks (and the change will be muted for months after that at the least, as I have kids ineligible for vaccination anytime soon).
As someone who got the second shot in January, not a damn thing has changed. Wife still doesn't have it. Kids don't have it. Can't travel. Optimism is great but don't put an end date on it just yet.

OTOH, I have some neighbors who both got their first shot yesterday (somehow skirting eligibility rules) and are flying to Dallas next week with the family.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I believe the main people I game with have long since expanded their bubbles to consider each other. I'm high risk and don't necessarily trust their individual bubbles. OTOH, they obviously have a risk tolerance and I will have my hygiene in place. So accepting me is on them. My only harumph will be mother's refusal to get vaccinated at this point, so i will be making sure that gaming time will have a decontamination period before family time. Also, at the way things are going, irrespective of my pre-existing condition, I may very well be the last to get vaccinated. I originally thought May, then all this acceleration gave me hope for March. But here we are at the end of March and no date is in sight, so I'm back to thinking (hoping) May.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:00 am
Nice. I haven't even allowed myself to start dreaming of board gaming's return yet.
I'm excited and concerned about the November convention in Dallas. It seems pretty likely I (and most everyone else) can get vaccinated by then. It's already one of my highest anxiety events annually, adding covid takes it to another level.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There is a degree of survivor's guilt potentially associated with what we've all been through and then getting the vaccination. I've been dealing with severe insomnia over the last (checks calendar) 7 weeks that I thought was tied to the injury I sustained while dealing with an early February snow storm. However I'm still having trouble sleeping despite my arm pain being manageable - which is a symptom. Like wide awake and staring at the ceiling at 2am every morning, mind racing. I guess similar to what was going on for me last March/April/May with all the unknowns, but now I'm at a loss for a current reason (other than the above).

I know I've said it a number of times, but we're going to be collectively dealing with this for a long time - long after we've all been vaccinated.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, and there's this.

CHICAGO — Loretto Hospital’s board of directors has stuck by two of the hospital’s embattled executives as they face controversy over the West Side hospital vaccinating ineligible people at Trump Tower, at a ritzy Gold Coast business and in the suburbs.

The hospital’s board met Friday. Afterward, in a statement, members said they had taken “appropriate actions of reprimand against Miller and Ahmed for their role in the mistakes of judgment.” State Rep. LaShawn Ford and state Sen. Kimberly Lightford, who are members of the board, declined to comment on how Miller and Ahmed were punished.

Ahmed has donated at least $12,000 to election efforts for Ford, and Miller has donated at least $2,500 to a political fund run by Lightford, a public database shows.

Trump tower.
The hospital’s chief operating officer, Dr. Anosh Ahmed, is also facing heavy criticism because he told people he vaccinated Trump — son of the former president — the same day of the event. Ahmed lives in Trump Tower.
Gold coast.
CHICAGO — Loretto Hospital vaccinated ineligible people at a luxury Gold Coast watch and jewelry shop where the hospital’s chief operating officer is a high-spending and frequent customer.
Suburbs.
CHICAGO — Loretto Hospital vaccinated its CEO’s suburban church — worrying staff members who questioned why the hospital was giving shots in the suburbs when West Side residents are desperate to get an appointment.

Note that Loretto is in an extremely underserved neighborhood hit extremely hard by COVID. This was done at a time when doses were scarce and undoubtedly cost some eligible patients a timely vaccination. Not only did the hospital divert doses then to serve their execs and cronies, they are now cut off from new supply punitively. It's not a stretch to think that they are responsible for preventable deaths.

Yet the board "reprimands" them in secret. Feel real bad for the dedicated healthcare workers in Austin that have to work under these shitbags.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

And it was a big story that Loretto was doing the first vaccinations in Chicago, because it demonstrated how the focus was going to be on equity.

Guess not.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:12 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 am
As someone who got the second shot in January, not a damn thing has changed. Wife still doesn't have it. Kids don't have it. Can't travel. Optimism is great but don't put an end date on it just yet.

OTOH, I have some neighbors who both got their first shot yesterday (somehow skirting eligibility rules) and are flying to Dallas next week with the family.
I have a small group, most of whom work for my university as well, so we're all getting our shots around the same time. My wife is diabetic and just managed to schedule her first for Friday. So 5 weeks out (3 weeks for 2nd + 2 weeks after), but 5 weeks feels like a drop in the bucket compared to how long we've been at this.

That said, I'll still be masking up for other trips outside the house, etc. That's why I try to avoid the phrase "return to normalcy". It's a new normal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TX says everyone is eligible starting 3/29. I finally get to join the search.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:43 am TX says everyone is eligible starting 3/29. I finally get to join the search.
I hope to see you at BGG Con Coop! This is about the time they'd be announcing the con but no announcement yet. I bet they are struggling with a vaccination requirement to attend, it being Texas and all.

I haven't heard a peep about our local LA con, wish we were getting more info.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:33 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:43 am TX says everyone is eligible starting 3/29. I finally get to join the search.
I hope to see you at BGG Con Coop! This is about the time they'd be announcing the con but no announcement yet. I bet they are struggling with a vaccination requirement to attend, it being Texas and all.

I haven't heard a peep about our local LA con, wish we were getting more info.
Very much hoping we can. In early Feb Jeff (CaptainQwyx) said:
We are still cautiously optimistic that BGG.CON will happen in November but we are continuing to "wait and see". With current conditions and projections I expect we will have more to say by late-spring / early-summer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

In the Before Times™ we hosted monthly game nights in our basement for about 20-25 people (last event: 2/22/2020). With the CDC guidelines allowing "fully vaccinated" individuals (2nd vaccine + 2 weeks) to masklessly participate in "small" indoor events, we're evaluating where our line will be drawing for opening our basement back up. Our participant group is significantly filled with aged 60+, schoolteachers, and health care/essential workers, so on April 10 (MHS + my anticipated "fully vaccinated" date) there'd be enough folks hitting those CDC guidelines to create a 10-person event.

MHS has stated she intends to keep the mask on, even if only to help cut down on the touching-of-the-face. However our events have many communal playing pieces, and a key component of the evening (at least in the Before Times™) is lots in the way of beverage consumption. I doubt we reopen with a requirement of CDC guidelines + mandatory masking. It's very likely we shoot for voluntary masking but mandatory CDC guidelines + you-live-in-a-protected-bubble-and-please-don't-lie-to-us-(as-MHS-is-a-transplant-recipient-and-if-you-kill-her-the-game-is-definitely-not-happening-next-month).

I've solicited feedback from our circle of participants (roughly 40 persons deep), and the net response has been: we trust the guidelines you guys come up with (which doesn't exactly help us come up with good guidelines).

Let me solicit the same from the hivemind. This is a closed, ventilated space, and events last for upwards of 8 hours. Game piece sharing is prevalent. Beverage service has been a key feature. Away-from-the-basement food service (of a pot-luck variety) has also been a prominent feature during game play breaks. Participants range in age from their 30s through their late 70s with a variety of health histories (MHS is not the biggest at-risk participant). Few participants have out-of-the-home jobs, and none have mix-with-John-Q-Public jobs.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 am It is a strange feeling, for sure. On the one hand, I want to do a little dance. On the other, absolutely nothing has changed, nor will it for many weeks (and the change will be muted for months after that at the least, as I have kids ineligible for vaccination anytime soon).
My first shot still isn't for almost three weeks, but I do see one thing changing, at least after the first two weeks post-shot have passed: I'll finally be able to relax a little. Not relax my precautions, no. But I'll be able to relax my nerves, my muscles, my stress level. I'll be able to worry about family and the world without wondering whether I'm going to fall sick, be hospitalized, be disabled long-term, or even die. That's a change. And it helps that three out of the four of us will be vaccinated in a four-day period. Four out of five if you include Michelle's mother, whom we help support every day of the week (she's just over two weeks past her second shot.)

It won't change my lifestyle or my schedule, but it will remove a lot of worry. Well, some after the first, more after the second shot, of course.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:58 pmIt won't change my lifestyle or my schedule, but it will remove a lot of worry. Well, some after the first, more after the second shot, of course.
Very true. I've been focusing on the lifestyle-return-to-some-normalcy aspect, but the worry lifting is a big deal, too.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 pm I've solicited feedback from our circle of participants (roughly 40 persons deep), and the net response has been: we trust the guidelines you guys come up with (which doesn't exactly help us come up with good guidelines).
For my tolerance, 10 people is too big of circle of trust especially in a long duration closed space. But this deep in to it and with vaccination being ever widening in distribution, I would not begrudge you your own tolerance. I just wouldn't be joining you until 1) I myself was safely a month after vaccination and 2) all of my family were also that way (and with my mom not getting vaccinated, that mean nope) or we hit such a time as spread prevalence is crazy low due vaccination + previously infected.

Once I am vaccinated and looking back, I'm comfortable going to a well ventilated 4 person gathering where everyone else knows the risks and still keeps small circles of trust and even then, as I stated before, I'll have a decontamination timeline built in to my trips to see other people.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackhawk wrote:It won't change my lifestyle or my schedule, but it will remove a lot of worry. Well, some after the first, more after the second shot, of course.
This is the biggest change I have seen now that my wife and I are vaccinated and all immediate family (except the kids). I'm not out there licking doorknobs or running through grocery stores maskless, but a lot of the underlying stress is gone. Sometimes I realize it's stress I didn't even know I had.

The analogy I use as an IT guy is being on call vs not being on call. Typically in any given week on call, I only get paged for an issue once or twice. Not bad for an entire week including weekends. However, there's always the *potential* to get called. I can't drink, I can't go out of town, I can't put myself in a situation where I might have to drop everything and go into work and not have the capability to do so. Getting the vaccine is like coming off call and knowing all of those things hanging over my head are gone.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's odd, probably because of my lifestyle, but I've never been stressed about the covid stuff.
My wife on the other hand has been stressed big time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
naednek

Post by naednek »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:00 am
Nice. I haven't even allowed myself to start dreaming of board gaming's return yet.

I got my first shot (Moderna) out of state last weekend, which will make the 2nd shot scheduling a bit more 'fun.' I'm scheduled at the location where I got the first, but that happens to be about 750 miles from me. Each entity that is vaccinating here in CO has their own process for registration, and at present they range from 'come back 2 days before you're due for your 2nd dose and we'll let you schedule' (Kroger) to 'you're free to schedule but we have no appointments for you right now; check back every hour for the next 25 days' (Wal-Mart) to 'lol that vaccine isn't available in your metro area' (CVS).

Fun times.

I'm hopeful that with the supply continuing to rise and CO set to open to everyone a bit before I'm due for the 2nd dose, things improve before I start to sweat it. Worst case, road trip.
ROAD TRIP!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Get my first shot Tuesday. Woohoo!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 pm It's odd, probably because of my lifestyle, but I've never been stressed about the covid stuff.
That's the same way for us, our biggest issue is that we've had to go another year without a big trip. We wear masks and keep our distances but otherwise things aren't too different. Last week we went across the state to visit the manatees at Three Sisters Springs including lunch and dinner out and yesterday we drove over to Orlando to walk around Wekiva Springs. No doubt we'll feel relieved to get our second shots, but otherwise it's more about waiting for our relatives over in St Pete to feel comfortable about having company.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Speaking of Road Trips, I saw my first window to schedule for ??? with Rite Aid, in Toledo or Sylvania, Ohio, some 50 miles away. What happens if I leave state to get vaccinated? Can I do that? Would Rite Aid offer to vaccinate me if I couldn't?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:54 pm Speaking of Road Trips, I saw my first window to schedule for ??? with Rite Aid, in Toledo or Sylvania, Ohio, some 50 miles away. What happens if I leave state to get vaccinated? Can I do that? Would Rite Aid offer to vaccinate me if I couldn't?
Missouri had no problem with me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:59 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:54 pm Speaking of Road Trips, I saw my first window to schedule for ??? with Rite Aid, in Toledo or Sylvania, Ohio, some 50 miles away. What happens if I leave state to get vaccinated? Can I do that? Would Rite Aid offer to vaccinate me if I couldn't?
Missouri had no problem with me.
Not a fan of commuting when I don't understand the process but I'm going to be thinking on this. I wish I could talk to someone. I may backdoor and try to find out the number for these Rite Aids and see if they'll talk to me.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Wife and I received the J&J vaccine last Friday. I had a reaction from it but the wife was good.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You have to quarantine 14 days for crossing state lines. That would be 14 days in Michigan and 14 days in Ohio for you. Enjoy!
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Got an appointment with the county Monday morning. Says it's for "first dose" so it has to be either Moderna or Pfizer. This will be helpful if I happen to land the job I interviewed for today and am thrust back into an office setting. Otherwise, still stuck in quarantine until the kids can get vaccinated, maybe a year from now.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:50 pm
You have to quarantine 14 days for crossing state lines. That would be 14 days in Michigan and 14 days in Ohio for you. Enjoy!
I don't know if I have quarantine but I couldn't go to work. Crap. Thanks for thinking it through for me.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

According to the NYT, very soon the US will have too much vaccine. They are trying to figure out what to do, as in keep it for later or send it to countries who don't have enough.

We would have loved to have had this problem a year ago.
Black Lives Matter
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Lorini wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:01 pm According to the NYT, very soon the US will have too much vaccine. They are trying to figure out what to do, as in keep it for later or send it to countries who don't have enough.

We would have loved to have had this problem a year ago.
*coughs quietly upstairs*

USA is sending 1.5M doses of the AZ over before it expires on a loan (we repay it back when our stock lands) -- with Moderna now having supply issues, we could use every bit of help we can get (as can a lot of countries apparently). I think Canadians are finally starting to realize that global supply chains aren't worth it on critical infrastructure like vaccines and PPE etc - hopefully it sticks and we continue to invest in our own countries; it has to suck trying to negotiate a deal through another countries borders when they can just issue a directive and keep it all for themselves (The EU appears to be threatening to do exactly that.. so far with the UK; not sure if it's brexit butthurt or a new foreign policy in general).
No.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 pm Otherwise, still stuck in quarantine until the kids can get vaccinated, maybe a year from now.
Yeah, I'm still coming to terms with the idea that there really is no "normal" until this happens.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:20 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 pm Otherwise, still stuck in quarantine until the kids can get vaccinated, maybe a year from now.
Yeah, I'm still coming to terms with the idea that there really is no "normal" until this happens.
Same. Come on, kiddo trials...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's been some hope it will be Q4 for all kids (<16), but I am hopeful we'll get kids 12-15 vaccinated sooner - maybe August/September and *ideally* with the J&J vaccine.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

SC starts vaccine for >16 on April 1.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My first poke is scheduled for Wednesday at the Speedway. They probably won't even let me on the track! :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:25 pm There's been some hope it will be Q4 for all kids (<16), but I am hopeful we'll get kids 12-15 vaccinated sooner - maybe August/September and *ideally* with the J&J vaccine.
Hey my kids will be 12 and 15 by September. Yeah let's get it done!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:49 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:25 pm There's been some hope it will be Q4 for all kids (<16), but I am hopeful we'll get kids 12-15 vaccinated sooner - maybe August/September and *ideally* with the J&J vaccine.
I think that we should prioritize kids who will be 12 and 9 by September.
Black Lives Matter.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My dogs are 14 & 15.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:49 pm
I agree - 12 and 15 are definitely the ages that need prioritization.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So the wife and I got our second shots yesterday. She had a sore arm and was tired yesterday but I woke up today with chills and body aches.

But at least we are done.

And my 28 year old daughter got her first shot yesterday as well. There are places here with lots of supply, others with just the second shot and others apparently with none. I don't know why.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today we hit 2.6M doses/day for the 7-day rolling average for the first time, and Bloomberg's estimate of time-to-75% vaccinated ticked down to 4 months for the first time, eg late July. (Yes, I know there are issues with that metric, but they are measuring it consistently so I like to use it as a benchmark.)

As the doses/day continue to creep up, I wonder when we begin to hit the point where demand becomes the limiting factor. Clearly we're not there yet, and as states open eligibility up to much larger groups over the next 2-3 weeks we're not going to get there in that timeframe, either. But I'm beginning to worry that by the time May 1 rolls around, our progress starts to fall apart as we hit the point where we see a demand cliff relative to ever-increasing supply.

So yeah, I would really like to see the vaccines begin to be approved for lower ages, as my #1 worry is that I'm going to be sending my kids back to school before they're eligible to be vaccinated, which means that my family's safety will be significantly impacted by the level of community spread come mid-August.