Political Violence - Trump End Times ed.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Political Violence - Trump End Times ed.

Post by malchior »

NY Times
Incensed by a Supreme Court ruling that further dashed President Trump’s hopes of invalidating his November electoral defeat, thousands of his supporters marched in Washington and several state capitals on Saturday to protest what they contended, against all evidence, was a stolen election.

In some places, angry confrontations between protesters and counterprotesters escalated into violence. There were a number of scuffles in the national capital, where four people were stabbed, and the police declared a riot in Olympia, Wash., where one person was shot.

In videos of a clash in Olympia that were posted on social media, a single gunshot can be heard as black-clad counterprotesters move toward members of the pro-Trump group, including one person waving a large Trump flag. After the gunshot, one of the counterprotesters is seen falling to the ground, and others call for help. In one video, a man with a gun can be seen running from the scene and putting on a red hat.
Another take - note this video is tough to watch:

Blackhawk

Re: Political Violence - Trump End Times ed.

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder if Biden can classify them as a domestic terrorist organization? I have a feeling there will be a lot of unused cages near the border soon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Proud Boys were pulling BLM banners off black churches in DC and burning them in the street. Not a cop, baton, tear gas, or unmarked van in sight.

I was assured by every MAGA I know that the police response over the summer was entirely justified because protestors were damaging property. Yet they’re nowhere to be found when it’s a group of white assholes doing the damage.

And people still wonder why everyone is fed up with all this bullshit.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently Agolf's supporters' Christian fervor ends where there is no Agolf idolatry worship.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My whack job, ultra right trump loving coworker is posting articles about secession now.

In other news, someone I went to high school with is trying to friend me on Facebook. His last post?
So hoping for a civil war, infact my prayer is for a civil war..... so want to get these imposters, haters and those who betrayed the American People out of this country or in there graves... you are an enemy to the United States of America..... get the f***k outta our country....
Denied.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:31 pm My whack job, ultra right trump loving coworker is posting articles about secession now.

In other news, someone I went to high school with is trying to friend me on Facebook. His last post?
So hoping for a civil war, infact my prayer is for a civil war..... so want to get these imposters, haters and those who betrayed the American People out of this country or in there graves... you are an enemy to the United States of America..... get the f***k outta our country....
Denied.
This is all an object lesson in the psychological value of projection. My coup attempt is justified by accusing my opponents of a coup attempt.

It will work that way with violence, too. Look for squirrelly reports of violence or attempted violence against right-wingers: a foiled assassination "attempt" on Mike Flynn, bomb threats against OANN, a few shots fired near a GOP rally, etc.

At that point violence will be declared justified as "self-defense."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really wish I could unfriend the coworker who has gone off the deep end. unfortunately he would make my life a living hell at work if i did. so i'll just continue to hide his posts and try to ignore him from now on. thankfully he doesn't work out of the office, so I don't see him more than once every few months for a few minutes.

The sad thing is his kids are now indoctrinated and posting even more hateful things. It sucks because I used to be on good terms with his family. He'd call me after his son was born about something work related, and I'd end up talking to his infant son and trying to make him laugh. He was a good kid. Now? Not so much.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:31 pm My whack job, ultra right trump loving coworker is posting articles about secession now.

This is the lasting tragedy of Agolf's legacy. He has turned friend against friend, neighbor against neighbor, spewing sedition and insurrection. People who were somewhat rational 4 years ago now claim they are willing to die for the grifter in chief. Putin has won. He won't be letting Agolf's debt slide, but he doesn't need to.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:59 pm

This is the lasting tragedy of Agolf's legacy. He has turned friend against friend, neighbor against neighbor, spewing sedition and insurrection. People who were somewhat rational 4 years ago now claim they are willing to die for the grifter in chief. Putin has won. He won't be letting Agolf's debt slide, but he doesn't need to.
No. Those divisions were already there. Trump didn't create them. He rode them to power.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:53 am
No. Those divisions were already there. Trump didn't create them. He rode them to power.
But they're not "natural" divisions. They've been inflamed and stoked and aggravated by a right-wing media and grievance machine designed to do just that.

It didn't have to be this way. Without Murdoch and Limbaugh and Gingrich and the rest, America in the 21st century could have been a much less divided society.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I disagree. The hate was already there but it was largely directed outward. Trump and the GOP turned it in on other Americans in 2015-2016 to ride it to power.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The hate really began surfacing in 2008 with Obama winning. The GOP simply spent the years between harnessing the hate. trump then stepped in, having spent his time fanning those hate flames, and stole the reins from those who had been in charge by being more open about his hate.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:34 pm The hate really began surfacing in 2008 with Obama winning. The GOP simply spent the years between harnessing the hate. trump then stepped in, having spent his time fanning those hate flames, and stole the reins from those who had been in charge by being more open about his hate.
I remember listening to Rush Limbaugh in 1992 (when he was gaining a huge audience for the first time) and thinking "My God, this guy is going to break the country."

It seemed like the return of full-on grievance-conspiracy politics from the John Birch era, but now with slick packaging and a mainstream reach. It didn't yet control the party (although the Gingrich faction would blossom into that), but it was getting the GOP base.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:49 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:34 pm The hate really began surfacing in 2008 with Obama winning. The GOP simply spent the years between harnessing the hate. trump then stepped in, having spent his time fanning those hate flames, and stole the reins from those who had been in charge by being more open about his hate.
I remember listening to Rush Limbaugh in 1992 (when he was gaining a huge audience for the first time) and thinking "My God, this guy is going to break the country."

It seemed like the return of full-on grievance-conspiracy politics from the John Birch era, but now with slick packaging and a mainstream reach. It didn't yet control the party (although the Gingrich faction would blossom into that), but it was getting the GOP base.
Fully agree. Gingrich's "contract with America" (which should have been called "contract on Democracy") was really the beginning of open power for power sake and party over country. When we had the nerve to elect a black man I feel like they stopped trying to hide that they based all this on the power of hate.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:12 pm

I disagree. The hate was already there but it was largely directed outward. Trump and the GOP turned it in on other Americans in 2015-2016 to ride it to power.
I disagree with the disagreement. The hate was there and directed at other Americans for years. The right has been clucking at liberals with derision for a long-time. They've been dumping on blacks in particular by euphemism and policy for a long time. It just got more focused over time and Trump enabled the worst elements on the fringes to speak out openly instead of from the shadows.

Edit: A little late to the party but what Trump brought that was unique was that he had no filter. He has always said outrageous things. However, at some point the GOP base reached a tipping point where the 'establishment' pols couldn't ignore the increasing grip he was showing because he spoke plainly to their biases, hatred, and disillusionment. It wasn't calculated or planned. He just kept marketing the same schtick until it finally found purchase.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:57 pm

I disagree with the disagreement. The hate was there and directed at other Americans for years. The right has been clucking at liberals with derision for a long-time. It just got more focused and Trump enabled the worst elements on the fringes to speak out openly instead of from the shadows.
Clucking derision at is a long way from open calls to take up arms against. Sure there was a lot of distaste and ridicule but nothing like openly supporting sedition and succession and civil war.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:04 pm

I disagree with the disagreement. The hate was there and directed at other Americans for years. The right has been clucking at liberals with derision for a long-time. It just got more focused and Trump enabled the worst elements on the fringes to speak out openly instead of from the shadows.
Clucking derision at is a long way from open calls to take up arms against. Sure there was a lot of distaste and ridicule but nothing like openly supporting sedition and succession and civil war.
If that is your bar, sure. But I think the point being made is that we are at the end or nearing the end of a radicalization process that has been occurring for a long-time. And that started with delegitimization and hatred at a lower level started long ago.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:04 pm Clucking derision at is a long way from open calls to take up arms against. Sure there was a lot of distaste and ridicule but nothing like openly supporting sedition and succession and civil war.
The rhetoric is definitely hotter now than it was earlier, but do you remember when a GOP senator told a Democratic president to stay out of his state or get shot?

It wasn't someone threatening Barack Obama. It was Jesse Helms to Bill Clinton.

The militia movement was already well underway in the 1990s, along with the black-helicopter New World Order paranoia that would give us QAnon.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:18 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:04 pm Clucking derision at is a long way from open calls to take up arms against. Sure there was a lot of distaste and ridicule but nothing like openly supporting sedition and succession and civil war.
The rhetoric is definitely hotter now than it was earlier, but do you remember when a GOP senator told a Democratic president to stay out of his state or get shot?

It wasn't someone threatening Barack Obama. It was Jesse Helms to Bill Clinton.

The militia movement was already well underway in the 1990s, along with the black-helicopter New World Order paranoia that would give us QAnon.
When I was in grade school this one kid wore a t-shirt that had a picture of Jimmy Carter as a braying jackass and said something derogatory about him but I don't remember what. I mean look at political cartoons from 100 years ago. Political rhetoric has always been hot. And when Jesse Helms said that Clinton ought to have a bodyguard (I don't think he actually threatened to shoot him) he was immediately condemned and onstracized by his own party and backtracked pretty much immediately. Plus Clinton had (has) a ton of bodyguards. Even if it was a threat it was a very hollow one.

But it's never been so neighbor against neighbor as now, not since the Civil War anyway.

Militias formed in the 90s to defend the people from what they claimed was an overreaching government. Armed groups now are threatening to attack fellow citizens in support of an illegitimate administration bent on retaining power. Sure we're at one end of a long progression but this is a whole new level.

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:12 pm
But they're not "natural" divisions. They've been inflamed and stoked and aggravated by a right-wing media and grievance machine designed to do just that.

It didn't have to be this way. Without Murdoch and Limbaugh and Gingrich and the rest, America in the 21st century could have been a much less divided society.
Ailes. Roger Ailes. People always leave him out, but in this rogue's gallery, he's the chief rogue in my book. Sick and twisted fuck who pretty much ruined our country. So much worse than Trump in so many ways.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I disagree with the disagreement. The hate was there and directed at other Americans for years. The right has been clucking at liberals with derision for a long-time. They've been dumping on blacks in particular by euphemism and policy for a long time. It just got more focused over time and Trump enabled the worst elements on the fringes to speak out openly instead of from the shadows.

Edit: A little late to the party but what Trump brought that was unique was that he had no filter. He has always said outrageous things. However, at some point the GOP base reached a tipping point where the 'establishment' pols couldn't ignore the increasing grip he was showing because he spoke plainly to their biases, hatred, and disillusionment. It wasn't calculated or planned. He just kept marketing the same schtick until it finally found purchase.
I disagree with the disagreement of the disagree. I truly believe Trump amplified the division to the point at which it became a matter of community. It's the difference between hating your neighbor for having a nicer lawn, and hating your neighbor because he has a nicer lawn and having a support group of half the town and a mayor telling you you should hate your neighbor for having a nicer lawn.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:02 pmI disagree with the disagreement of the disagree. I truly believe Trump amplified the division to the point at which it became a matter of community. It's the difference between hating your neighbor for having a nicer lawn, and hating your neighbor because he has a nicer lawn and having a support group of half the town and a mayor telling you you should hate your neighbor for having a nicer lawn.
I still disagree. I think everyone manages to constantly give Trump way too much credit for this situation. His style is to kick down doors and just rely on people never saying no to him. Unfortunately, the door to the inner workings that protected this system were already rotten to the core and failing after years of relentless attacks on it. The only reason we haven't hit the ground in the abyss is because the judiciary mostly held together. But back on point, I think a lot of people weren't listening to what the Republican base has been saying and doing for years. They have been angry a long time. Maybe with Trump they went from 10 to 11 but they were already bursting.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Of course they've been angry. But they now openly discuss such things as secession, while actively pursuing voter suppression under the thinly veiled guise of election fraud that even justices elected by their very party don't believe. They wanted change before, but within the system. Now they've given up on the system and want to break it. I feel like it's more going from 8 to 127.
Covfefe!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Every cult needs a leader. That was Trump. There's always been angry Republicans, but it's never been so culty and insane.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
malchior

Post by malchior »

Someone appears to have blown up a RV in Nashville this morning.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — A large explosion was reported in downtown Nashville early Christmas morning.

The explosion happened in the area of Second Avenue and Broadway near Commerce Street occurred around 6:30 am Friday. Heavy black smoke can be seen rising above the affected area.

The Metro Nashville Office of Emergency Management told News 2 a parked RV exploded and caused damage to several buildings. They said crews are currently assessing the damage but no injuries have been reported.

Patience while facts are forthcoming...

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Quite a leap to put the Nashville bombing in a political violence thread without all the facts.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:53 am Quite a leap to put the Nashville bombing in a political violence thread without all the facts.
Yeah, may have been too much hoarded propane. Too early.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:53 am Quite a leap to put the Nashville bombing in a political violence thread without all the facts.
It is a reasonable guess. Bombings are typically political (in fact almost always). It'd be a leap to say much more than that - I was considering the police are calling it intentional.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Could be a rolling meth lab mishap. Or a husband wife spat gone a little bit too far. Or domestic terrorists arguing with Google maps over the best route to city hall and they weren't paying attention.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:57 am
It is a reasonable guess. Bombings are typically political (in fact almost always). It'd be a leap to say much more than that - I was considering the police are calling it intentional.
Intentional != political.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, the timing gives me pause. If you want to inflict casualties, 6:30 on Christmas morning is a poor choice. It looks like a car bomb situation, but there's still more speculation than information at this point.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Yes there is a chance it isn't political - as acknowledged - but it seems reasonable to believe it will be political. Since it is an intentional act that caused an explosion. That's it. What is the problem here?
Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Yeah, the timing gives me pause. If you want to inflict casualties, 6:30 on Christmas morning is a poor choice. It looks like a car bomb situation, but there's still more speculation than information at this point.
Agree. Still the FBI, ATF, and police are there and the police release a statement saying it appears intentional which is pretty clearly a warning to be careful because more bad things might happen. Contextually they are only 3 hours into an investigation and decided to release a statement. That itself likely indicates it is serious.

Edit: It was outside an AT&T building. Maybe they were really unhappy with the release of WW84 on HBO Max. [/sarcasm]
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:11 pm
Yes there is a chance it isn't political - as acknowledged - but it seems reasonable to believe it will be political. Since it is an intentional act that caused an explosion. That's it. What is the problem here?
Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Agree. Still the FBI, ATF, and police are there and the police release a statement saying it appears intentional which is pretty clearly a warning to be careful because more bad things might happen. They are only 3 hours into an investigation and decided to release a statement. That itself likely indicates it is serious.
It is possible that some group wanted to make a dramatic point without killing people. That could argue for domestic terrorists. Foreign terrorists are always about the body count. It's also possible that the bomb didn't go off when and where it was supposed to. That's all speculation, obviously.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The problem is your conclusion is not at all reasonable.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:20 pm

It is possible that some group wanted to make a dramatic point without killing people.
IIRC the IRA did this sometimes. Set off a bomb at off hours. But they would also immediately claim responsibility. And it was implied "if we want to inflict mass casualties, we can."

Without anyone claiming this, what is the dramatic point?

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 pm
I think it is pretty reasonable to think that an intentional 'explosion' on a major holiday...is almost certainly political. (Since most bombings are political). I might end up being wrong on that guess but again what is the problem with the post? It really feels like people are having an unreasonable reaction to the post IMO.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

On a serious note I'm hoping it was a RV filled with celebratory holiday fireworks which accidentally cooked off. It would be nice to not end 2020 with car bombs.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:34 pm
I think it is pretty reasonable to think that an intentional 'explosion' on a major holiday...is almost certainly political. (Since most bombings are political). I might end up being wrong on that guess but again what is the problem with the post? It really feels like people are having an unreasonable reaction to the post IMO.
Starting a new thread in EBG about this incident would have been more appropriate than dumping it in a political violence thread with zero evidence other than conjecture. Your decision is what is unreasonable, not the reaction of others to where you posted it.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:41 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:34 pm
Starting a new thread in EBG about this incident would have been more appropriate than dumping it in a political violence thread with zero evidence other than conjecture. Your decision is what is unreasonable, not the reaction of others to where you posted it.
I think there is a bit more than zero evidence but whatever. Sorry to disappoint the forum VSP. We'll see.