Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am That was the GOP’s goal with the judicial takeover. Trump’s goal was a judiciary that would be loyal to whatever bullshit he wants.
I think that was Trump's goal. I believe McConnell was more realistic.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 am
Little Raven wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 am Trump's much touted "takeover" of the judiciary is bearing no fruit.
Federal judges have already begun to toss last-minute lawsuits brought by President Donald Trump's campaign, which has turned to attempting to litigate a victory as its electoral hopes dwindle.

The campaign, which has falsely alleged that Democrats are trying to "steal" the election by counting all the votes cast, has so far filed lawsuits in three states: Georgia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Within hours, judges had thrown out the suits in Georgia and Michigan. The Supreme Court has already declined once to rule on the Pennsylvania case.

On Thursday, the campaign announced its intent to file a fourth suit in Nevada. It has also vowed to request a recount in Wisconsin, where Democratic nominee Joe Biden has what appears to be an unassailable 20,000-vote lead.

Election law experts called the suits frivolous and unlikely to make a difference.

"They're totally small potatoes," Jon Sherman, senior counsel at the Fair Elections Center, told Salon. "Each has been rejected so far, and honestly, I'd rather not give them any oxygen."
The takeover wasn't to win this election - it was to set precedents for years to come. We won't know if it truly worked for years, but there is no reason to think it won't.
It's this and more. The most damage was done at the *appellate* level and up level. Maybe these cases make it there or maybe they don't but the record on the pre-election cases was mixed at best if you want to say that Trump had little effect on the election legally. The Roberts Court in particular seemed to take a new position championed by Kavanaugh/Alito/Thomas (and Gorsuch to a lesser extent) taking very leave it to the States views on the issues of gerrymandering, voting rights, and more. Which will only exacerbate the EC problem in the long-term. Gerrymandering will be the GOP plan to get the House back with re-districting coming up. The lesson GOP legislatures will take from this election is that they have the freedom to make it harder to vote and especially in areas important to the Democratic coalition. For example, drive-thru voting in Texas which they furiously backed away from for election day to keep the case out of the appellate level. Expect them to restrict mail-in and absentee voting. Expect them to aggressively purge voter rolls, etc. And Congress will not be able to pass a new Voter's Right Act to fix the damage.

Edit: Here is a specific prediction - the GOP will take the House back in 2022. Re-districting in Florida in particular will be a big component of it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's always a tweet....

He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 am
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am That was the GOP’s goal with the judicial takeover. Trump’s goal was a judiciary that would be loyal to whatever bullshit he wants.
I think that was Trump's goal. I believe McConnell was more realistic.
And more importantly, Trump let McConnell and his allies pick the judges. So they're overwhelmingly judges that support McConnell's goals more than ones that support Trump's goals (though there's some overlap, to be sure).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:03 amAnd more importantly, Trump let McConnell and his allies pick the judges. So they're overwhelmingly judges that support McConnell's goals more than ones that support Trump's goals (though there's some overlap, to be sure).
This is where Trump's transactional worldview hurt him immensely. He doesn't have the mental capacity to realize that smart people at that level adopt much more sophisticated models to achieve the results they seek. He complained but they gave him all sorts of breaks to escape accountability. They accepted his emergency appeals, etc. That was easy. Smashing glass all over the ground to save his Presidency. That isn't in the cards.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This thread about being a "poll challenger" in MI is absurd (and about what I expected). Gives some insight into why this process has taken so long.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW I was a poll watcher in New Hampshire (Portsmouth Ward 3, to be specific). Mostly uneventful, and while there were Republican challengers there they weren't aggressive and didn't really do or challenge anything. Far as I am aware there wasn't much of a GOP suppression / challenge effort in NH.

As an aside, not totally sure why NH wasn't on the radar and wasn't close this year. Biden won it by ~ 7%, while Clinton squeaked by there with a 0.3% margin (literally less than 3,000 votes). Did NH get more sane over the past 4 years? Was there less voter suppression efforts there?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:35 am FWIW I was a poll watcher in New Hampshire (Portsmouth Ward 3, to be specific). Mostly uneventful, and while there were Republican challengers there they weren't aggressive and didn't really do or challenge anything. Far as I am aware there wasn't much of a GOP suppression / challenge effort in NH.

As an aside, not totally sure why NH wasn't on the radar and wasn't close this year. Biden won it by ~ 7%, while Clinton squeaked by there with a 0.3% margin (literally less than 3,000 votes). Did NH get more sane over the past 4 years? Was there less voter suppression efforts there?
Moderates everywhere broke heavily for Biden. Probably near realistic maximum levels - something like 65-70%.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:49 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:35 am FWIW I was a poll watcher in New Hampshire (Portsmouth Ward 3, to be specific). Mostly uneventful, and while there were Republican challengers there they weren't aggressive and didn't really do or challenge anything. Far as I am aware there wasn't much of a GOP suppression / challenge effort in NH.

Moderates everywhere broke heavily for Biden. Probably near realistic maximum levels - something like 65-70%.
Also looking back at the results again, something like 7% of the vote went to third parties. Guessing Biden cleaned up the strong majority of those votes.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:54 am
malchior wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:49 am

Also looking back at the results again, something like 7% of the vote went to third parties. Guessing Biden cleaned up the strong majority of those votes.
Except for the libertarians who are just as irrelevant and in this case contradictory as ever.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Now the shenanigans. Quoting Ken Starr. Blech. One of the four horseman of the Democratic apocalypse.

Here are my other horsemen - if so inclined to name your own! Mitch McConnell, Newt Gingrich, and Karl Rove.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So who gets to tell him they haven't counted those yet? :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

There is a zero percent chance that Trump wrote a sentence with the word morass in it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fretmute wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:47 pm There is a zero percent chance that Trump wrote a sentence with the word morass in it.
It's all the Starr quote.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:51 pm
Fretmute wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:47 pm There is a zero percent chance that Trump wrote a sentence with the word morass in it.
Yeah, and even going back and looking at the thread (the link is missing one tweet about the Legislatures making the rules), I really can't figure out what his complaint is.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:52 pm
Yeah, and even going back and looking at the thread (the link is missing one tweet about the Legislatures making the rules), I really can't figure out what his complaint is.
His complaint is that he's not going to be President for much longer.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:56 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:52 pm
His complaint is that he's not going to be President for much longer.
Well, yeah. I meant specifically what Starr was complaining about. :)
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Isgrimnur wrote:
That makes more sense. My point stands!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:37 pm Now the shenanigans. Quoting Ken Starr. Blech. One of the four horseman of the Democratic apocalypse.

Here are my other horsemen - if so inclined to name your own! Mitch McConnell, Newt Gingrich, and Karl Rove.
I think any list of horsemen of the Democractic Apocalypse is incomplete without Roger Ailes.

He destroyed us. Or, at least, he helped us destroy ourselves.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fretmute wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:10 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:
That makes more sense. My point stands!
Tis a fine point.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Octavious wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:40 pm So who gets to tell him they haven't counted those yet? :lol:
He probably knows and doesn't care. That message is for his followers to feed their rage with.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:16 pm
I'll accept it, but it's worth noting that Philly numbers reflect the fact that Philadelphia universities (Penn, Drexel, Temple, La Salle, St. Joseph's, etc) have sent their students home this semester. They're voting in other counties or other states.

In my ward, turnout and Dem vote are way up over 2016.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Vladimir Putin said today about Hillary and Dems: "In my opinion, it is humiliating. One must be able to lose with dignity." So true!
Sweet, can't wait for that!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Post Offices are being attacked now. They better hurry and get this shit over with.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/42877466/7 ... -nashville

7 Post Offices vandalized, burglarized around Nashville
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:23 pm Post Offices are being attacked now. They better hurry and get this shit over with.

Is there some political motive? Tennessee vote count has been over for days.

Seven post offices in one night sounds like a scheme to grab arriving social security checks or something.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The crowds at the White House should chant: LOSE WITH DIGNITY!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:59 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:23 pm Post Offices are being attacked now. They better hurry and get this shit over with.

Is there some political motive? Tennessee vote count has been over for days.

Seven post offices in one night sounds like a scheme to grab arriving social security checks or something.
I saw it as the cult of deplorables attacking the USPS due to them thinking the mail in votes lost the election for them by cheating.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If the Senate is split 50-50, does the VP cast the deciding vote on the majority leader?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now the winner is declared. Now's when I go from nervous to tense. Now we see the reaction to Trump losing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jaymann wrote:If the Senate is split 50-50, does the VP cast the deciding vote on the majority leader?
VP casts deciding votes on ties.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:08 pm
Jaymann wrote:If the Senate is split 50-50, does the VP cast the deciding vote on the majority leader?
So if we get to 50-50 Moscow Mitch is out!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:55 pm Now the winner is declared. Now's when I go from nervous to tense. Now we see the reaction to Trump losing.
Maybe it’s today’s euphoria talking, but I don’t feel terribly concerned about a violent reaction from MAGAs.

The damage that a flailing Trump and his cronies are going to do on their way out, however, could be potentially catastrophic.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:08 pm
It will be interesting to see the fundraising totals for the two GA runoffs.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The vast majority of people understand elections and they abide by the results. I went into Walmart tonight, and it was just like any other Saturday night in Walmart (not that I expected any different). Most people (even hardcore Trump supporters) may grumble a bit, then they sigh and go back to living their lives. Sure there may be some kooks out there, but by and large I expect most of them will slink back into society.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What a contrast as crowds celebrate Biden's victory at the White House vs. when Trump tear gassed them so he could hold a bible upside down (stand in for a cross?) in front of a church.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

The Master Strategist's final Executive Order will be to outlaw Executive Orders. :roll:

edit = ... and to outlaw his dirty tricks, to promote "integrity in the WH".
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:16 pmThe vast majority of people understand elections and they abide by the results.
And not only that, but honestly, if I were a Republican, I would hardly be wracked with despair right now. (and indeed, a quick glance at National Review suggests most Republicans are not) Sure, they lost the Presidency. But everyone (including me!) expected the GOP to be absolutely demolished....and that didn't happen. They won the statehouse race, did surprisingly well in the House, and have a decent shot at keeping the Senate. Perhaps most importantly, they finally started significantly expanding into minority populations, which is huge. They have some significant problems to overcome, no doubt, but living with Biden for 4 years and taking another shot in 2024 has to sound better than picking up a rifle for 99.999% of Republicans.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
mori

Post by mori »

Biden is about as far off as what I want as a President, but he is better than Trump. Sad state of affairs overall. At least things are not going to get worse, but might slowly get better and we might listen to science.