Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Tao

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Tao »

Couple of new items that caught my eye on Kickstarter.

Daimyo

This looks pretty cool, a post-apocalyptic world set in neo feudal Japan. Multiple game mechanics, dice drafting, deck building and resource management, lots of components, decent figures. Watched a couple of videos, will need to view a few more as I am a little worried the game may be too busy with all the different things going on but leaning toward backing this.

Gangs of Undercity

A Cyberpunk version of tabletop war gaming. Looks interesting as well but I just picked up the Call to Arms starter package, which this appears to be similar to mechanically and the pricing seems pretty steep for what they are offering, I don't really need a re-branded measuring tape from Home Depot. The different buildings and structures look nice but again, for me not worth the price. Figured maybe someone here might be interested though.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Tao wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:22 pm Couple of new items that caught my eye on Kickstarter.

Daimyo

This looks pretty cool, a post-apocalyptic world set in neo feudal Japan. Multiple game mechanics, dice drafting, deck building and resource management, lots of components, decent figures. Watched a couple of videos, will need to view a few more as I am a little worried the game may be too busy with all the different things going on but leaning toward backing this.
I wish there was an option for the core game + Upgrade pack but no minis for $20 less. I'm burned out on minis at this point unless they are amazing or it's a game I think I will play a ton.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

A while ago I backed both the Zorro RPG by West End Games (!) and a Zorro dice game from some other company. Both games were backed several months apart. Ironically, they were both delivered yesterday.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anyone else tracking the Wyrmwood Gaming Table Kickstarter? After years of coveting a dedicated gaming table I am now finally going to do it, provided I can get into the Kickstarter. They were supposed to launch yesterday, but they pushed it back a week to get their ducks in a row for the launch.

I have a feeling this kickstarter is going to be bonkers. The Wyrmwood guys have a dedicated following, and these are fairly reasonable prices for a high-end gaming table. Their beta table builder is here.

This doesn't include their accessories yet. They have some pretty sweet ideas for their accessories, including wireless phone charging plates, a game deck, component/cup/card holders, and a really sweet clip on desk for when you're doing RPGs. They have talked about, but we haven't seen yet, a video screen you can drop into your table.

I had my entire family down here in my basement, looking at color choices and table sizes. I think we all have agreed that I should go with the large table, because I'm never going to buy another one of these, and I used to have a 4x8 sheet of plywood in my basement before as my gaming table. It's a tight fit, but I think we can make it work.

I just hope I can get a fairly early slot in the kickstarter.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Wyrmwood Tables are nice but premium priced. I’m very happy with my table from Boardgamestables.com
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Tao

Post by Tao »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:50 pm The Wyrmwood Tables are nice but premium priced. I’m very happy with my table from Boardgamestables.com
Not sure if you checked out the Kickstarter that Hentzau is referring to. The basic Wyrmwood from the KS is actually eight dollars less expensive than the medium size Jasper (comparable in size) from Boardgamingtables.com.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tao wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:16 pm
Zarathud wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:50 pm The Wyrmwood Tables are nice but premium priced. I’m very happy with my table from Boardgamestables.com
Not sure if you checked out the Kickstarter that Hentzau is referring to. The basic Wyrmwood from the KS is actually eight dollars less expensive than the medium size Jasper (comparable in size) from Boardgamingtables.com.
Yeah, I was going to mention this is a new line of tables. You can still get the 10K tables but they're trying to break into the table market big time. Like buying a furniture manufacturing company to fulfill this big time.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Also, I mention this cause I'm a nice guy, Wyrmwood is giving away 10, yes 10 of their tables on their Wyrmlife YouTube channel. You need to subscribe to WyrmLife and then just leave a comment in the comment section and you're registered to win.

YouTube Link
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I saw the video today that Wyrmwood delayed their Kickstarter for a week. And I never count on winning anything.

Seems like Wrymwood plans a similarly priced "budget" table comparable to the 3x5 play size Jasper, but a slightly different size. One frustrating thing has been getting full-table play mats sized for my 3.25 x 6 play size table (50% of Wyrmwood's quote) as the great extra 0.25 inches for player boards made it impossible to fit for miniature mats. A 3x6 or 4x6 play size would have made buying play mats easy.

While not a Kickstarter, the double sided dungeon/grassland Print-o-mat from deepcutstudio.com worked out well for D&D. I'll order a second one soon, with space on one side but I'm having problems deciding on the other side. It could be wasteland asphalt for Car Wars or sand/prairie for general miniatures. Maybe I should just plan on buying a third mat eventually.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I had a look at their expected layouts earlier and was surprised by the sizes they went with. I have the precursor to the Jasper and in my opinion 3 feet is just barely too narrow for a lot of games. 3.5 would be perfect. Instead of offering that they are making longer tables that are still just 3 feet wide. Just seems puzzling as the type of gamers that would go for a gaming table are also the type that would gravitate towards some of the larger games.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Agreed. 3 ft is an easy reach but player boards need that extra 1/4 to 1/2 ft.
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Since they have a player board add on, doesn’t that make this a perfect solution? I don’t know, but it seems like it would work to me.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I really like those player boards.

And as far as the 3’ vs 4’ playing field depth, I can’t take a 4’ wide table, my space is too narrow. That extra foot will kill it for me. I’ll just use the topper for when I want to break out all of Zenda in a Gunfighters Ball game.

And I do think they’ve been talking about adding a wider table as a stretch goal.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Where do they show they player boards? I'm curious now.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

This video shows all of their add-ons:

Add-ons

If you want to jump straight to the player boards:

Player Boards
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

$560 for 4. Assuming you don't get the little additional add-ons. And you aren't doing a different color scheme. Ouch. Seems like it would be a lot better, assuming you have space, to just get a bigger table.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

TheMix wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:41 pm $560 for 4. Assuming you don't get the little additional add-ons. And you aren't doing a different color scheme. Ouch. Seems like it would be a lot better, assuming you have space, to just get a bigger table.
Yeah, I'm probably on board for 5 of them. And the gaming deck. And a half dozen cup holders, and probably the same number of component holders. This is going to be expensive, but it's been something I've been talking about doing ever since I saw that first Geek Chic table at GenCon years ago. I'm going to be going with lower end wood models, with the espresso maple for the base and cherry for the topper. I would love to get the wenge base, but that extra 2K for that wood would cover a ton of add-ons.

And we haven't heard shipping prices yet. Well, in for a penny...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmmm....

Created (in part) by David Thompson with a solo mode designed by Dávid Turczi.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hidden movement is one of my weak spots.

It's a definite maybe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Upcoming Kickstarter announced for a SET A WATCH expansion. I really enjoy that game and look forward to an expansion. I bought the deluxe version at GenCon last year on impulse and have had a great time with it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Wyrmwood Gaming Table Kickstarter:

Get on, Early bird pledge, KS accepts my pledge, I'm in! Gaming table in November!

2 minutes later, email: Sorry, something happened with your pledge, that tier is all gone now.

Dammit!

Get on, current wave is January next year by this time. OK, pledge. Immediate "Sorry, something went wrong."

Refresh, now March. Grr. Pledge March. KS Accepts my pledge. OK. Breathe.

2 minutes later, email: Sorry, something happened with your pledge, that tier is all gone now.

May? OK, lets try May.

2 minutes later, email: Sorry, something happened with your pledge, that tier is all gone now

June? I'll be happy with June.

2 minutes later, email: Sorry, something happened with your pledge, that tier is all gone now

OK, skip July altogether. August? OK. August it is.

Trembling fingers, twitching eyes...September? September is my birthday month. That has to work, right?

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Email arrives confirming September wave for delivery!!! I'm in.

Damn, it's a long way to September.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

$3,222,682
pledged of $1,000,000 goal

This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, October 9 2020 10:59 PM CDT.
That's the longest kickstarter I have ever heard of.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ugh, but at least you have a table coming!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:53 pm Ugh, but at least you have a table coming!
Yep. I have my pledge in finally.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hentzau wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:04 pm
Zarathud wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:53 pm Ugh, but at least you have a table coming!
Yep. I have my pledge in finally.
Congrats!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am Hmmm....

Created (in part) by David Thompson with a solo mode designed by Dávid Turczi.
I watched the whole Dice Tower video and it looks fun. The price seems a bit high for what you get though. They are either paying a lot for the license or they intend to unlock a lot of content through stretch goals.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not a board game, but for the olds (and getting olds, like me) you might remember Twilight 2000

Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:22 pm Not a board game, but for the olds (and getting olds, like me) you might remember Twilight 2000

Just came here to post this. I had some really good times with the original.

This will be the 4th published version of the game. (V3 had a new setting and was apparently a big mess.) This one will return to the original setting, a year 2000 where the USSR never fell and the Cold War finally went hot. It appears to have GDW's and original designer Marc Miller's blessing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I own (and loved reading) Forbidden Lands - the production values are off the charts. This looks to be at the same level and I played the original "back in the day", so I'm going to support this as well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I never played it, but I do remember the ads in Dragon Magazine. The art. Oh, the awful art with those tiny, misshapen eyes. I still have nightmares thinking about those soldiers, with their three-inch stare.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Because Kickstarter shit the bed with the Wyrmwood launch, Wyrmwood is opening up more entries to earlier waves at 5:00 tonight. Fingers crossed I can get in an earlier wave.

Edit: Was able to get moved up to a May delivery tier. Way better than September.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now add in the usual Kickstarter delays and viola...back to September. :twisted:
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I own Twilight 2000. I got it and Axis & Allies the same day many years ago. They just sit in their boxes.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Now add in the usual Kickstarter delays and viola...back to September. :twisted:
Quite possibly. But part of me is oddly optimistic about this one.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Watching the Wyrm Life videos has been ... interesting.

Videoing you CEO discussing merger plans is an interesting business strategy. I feel for Frank the lawyer. They’re really stretching for the Kickstarter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Looks like Middara is getting delayed until February 2021 (that's in-hand date, game should be complete and leaving ports in late November).

I'm a little bummed in that with the finishing up of GH: Jaws of the Lion I'm really in the mood to dive into another big campaign. On the other hand, it sounds like the delay allowed them to add a ton of proofreading and tweaks, so I'd rather wait a bit longer for a higher quality product.

i still have the crokinole board to look forward in November. A buddy of mine got in on the Wave 1 shipment and just received his today. He's very happy with it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:08 pm Looks like Middara is getting delayed until February 2021 (that's in-hand date, game should be complete and leaving ports in late November).
Was coming in to post this. If it makes the game better, I'm totally cool with it. No big rush on my end.

And my god, does this game look beautiful.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm fully supportive of them taking more time to finish things up and rather impressed that for people with original copies (like me) they're just going to give us full replacements of all the card and tokens with our upgrade pack. I do question delaying the entire project's release to have the storybook professionally edited though, and only providing that to new backers. I think there's very real risk here of the core game not being delivered until spring of 2021 and the new stuff (the actual focus of the KS) not coming until 2023. It's a a fun game, but I'm not sure it has the staying power of 3+ years in the board gaming market. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really think they should have just pushed to get the core and 1.1 materials shipped in the Fall. The storybook edits aren't corrections or changes to game play - they're just having it professionally cleaned up. That's absolutely important and if they made that an optional buy in 2021 I'm betting it would have sold...but to hold up everything over it seems like a bit much.

I guess we'll see.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm Upcoming Kickstarter announced for a SET A WATCH expansion. I really enjoy that game and look forward to an expansion. I bought the deluxe version at GenCon last year on impulse and have had a great time with it.
Get your reminder here.