Beirut Explosion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Beirut Explosion

Post by Skinypupy »

So, this happened this morning.

Jesus. I'd love to say I hope everyone's OK, but there's little chance of that. I hope the area had been cleared and as few people were killed as possible. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Re: Beirut Explosion

Post by Skinypupy »

Reports are that it was a fireworks factory that went boom. The force of that blast is insane.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I really do hope it was just an accident, but people on the ground there on Twitter are speculating things such as a missile strike from a jet or a terrorist attack.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holy shit.

Lesson: get to cover even if you think it's safe. You never know what's on fire.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So is
fireworks factory
just a euphemism in the Middle East? :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Why are you the way that you are?
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

That is really incredible. Wow.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That has to be some sort of warehouse explosion, like fertilizer. That seems too big for a terrorist or military strike.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holy crap. The force of that explosion is incredible. It almost looks like what you see in movies when a nuke hits.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:48 pm Holy crap. The force of that explosion is incredible. It almost looks like what you see in movies when a nuke hits.
It looks like it picked up a ton of water from the port which enhanced the effect.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm That has to be some sort of warehouse explosion, like fertilizer. That seems too big for a terrorist or military strike.
Fireworks factory is the initial reports.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

There is a fireworks factory located in a port? That seems like a terrible place for such a thing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Damn! That is a HUGE explosion. Its weird looking too. Almost like a fuel air bomb but coming from ground level. Must have been one hell of a big fireworks factory.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Now speculation that it might have been a fertilizer or weapon storage facility. Reports are that there are clouds of nitric acid floating above the city. :shock:
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

In one of the video it looks to me that you can see fireworks cooking off in the fire before the big badda boom. Whatever the case, this has to be the worst take on it. :D

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Spoiler:
Head of General Security says the blast was caused by a fire in a depot of highly explosive material, including Sodium nitrate, at Beirut's port. He said that material was confiscated from a ship months ago and stored there.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've seen fireworks factories explode as well as fertilizer factories. This looks like a fertilizer factory.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oh shit!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The view here shows another water view. It parts the sky like the old videos of Hydrogen bombs its so massive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeQtmNpJEU ... atch_again
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I saw reports of "dozens injured." Seems extremely low. Like maybe dozens in one room. The whole city? Not buying it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw 10 firefighters are missing. Probably fighting the original fire. Most likely vaporized by the main explosion.

Felt 240k away.
Explosion felt 240km away in Cyprus

People in Cyprus - an island around 240 km (150 miles) from Beirut - have reported feeling the blast.

One resident of the capital Nicosia said his house shook, according to the Reuters news agency.

Journalist Emilia Papadopoulos said she felt the explosion in Limassol and thought it was an earthquake.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I really hope this was an accident and not intentional. What an awful thing to have happen.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reminds me of that China explosion not long back. Why do they store this amount of explosive stuff in places like that I wonder.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:55 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:48 pm Holy crap. The force of that explosion is incredible. It almost looks like what you see in movies when a nuke hits.
It looks like it picked up a ton of water from the port which enhanced the effect.
Watching a few more videos, I'd agree. The way the shock wave sends up a huge wall of vapor that just vanishes could be atomized water that immediately vaporizes when the negative pressure hits. From the maps I'm seeing, the warehouse was right on the edge of the harbor with water nearby in three directions. But you can also see the shock wave peeling apart multiple adjacent buildings. Unless they evacuated a mile out and well in advance, there will be a lot of deaths. Explosive shock waves can kill without a direct line to the explosion or shrapnel, and sodium nitrate (which they're claiming this was) has a big, slow blast wave (slow is relative here.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Reminds me of the explosion there 30+ years ago with the truck bomb and the marines. Buddy of mine was there at the time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Read that there's at least 27 dead and 2500+ injured.

Sad story
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Now over 50 dead, and I'm sure that's just the beginning. Terrible.

GFY, 2020.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

50 dead, 2,700 injured, so far.

The aftermath.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:33 pm The view here shows another water view. It parts the sky like the old videos of Hydrogen bombs its so massive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeQtmNpJEU ... atch_again
I wonder if those guys in the boat and everybody within that distance and direction thought they were about to be dead from a nuclear blast? :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Saw a twitter comment... Not trying to make light of the horrible incident, but the comment made me chuckle

Vanya?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

and holy cow @ that aftermath video. That is crazy.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

naednek wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 pm Saw a twitter comment... Not trying to make light of the horrible incident, but the comment made me chuckle

Vanya?
The one I keep seeing, which is not funny in the context of this video but is certainly on-point as it keeps coming up with each seemingly daily 2020 catastrophe...

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And now Trump is shooting his mouth off calling it an attack and a bomb. Joy. That wont cause any problems,
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:21 pm In one of the video it looks to me that you can see fireworks cooking off in the fire before the big badda boom.
Yeah, I noticed that. I've seen videos of accidental explosions that had similar small explosions visible. That's why I believe it was accidental. I don't underestimate people's capacity to do something stupid, like store explosive material and just sort of forget about it. Then one day something sets the whole thing off.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored at Beirut warehouse at centre of explosion
news.com.au wrote:As Lebanon reels from a major explosion that has killed dozens and injured thousands, the nation’s Prime Minister has revealed a disturbing fact about the warehouse at the centre of the blast.

The explosion erupted in the Beirut’s port area late afternoon on Tuesday, with videos showing a fire burning in a building in the area before an enormous blast.

Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab said 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were being stored in a warehouse for years. He said this was “unacceptable”.

“I will not rest until we find the person responsible for what happened so we can hold them to account and impose the most severe punishment,” Mr Diab was quoted as saying by an official Twitter account.

“It is unacceptable that a shipment of 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate has been present for six years in a warehouse, without taking preventive measures and endangering the safety of citizens”.

Author and former spy Aimen Dean took to Twitter and said that, given his knowledge of knowledge and experience with ammonium nitrates explosives, the warehouse was a “massive time bomb”.

“What happened in Beirut port today was nothing short of criminal negligence,” he said. “You can’t store ammonium bitrates in hot and damp conditions for 4 years, it was a massive time bomb.”

Local media reports indicate the chemicals were seized from a sinking ship more than a decade ago.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
stessier

Post by stessier »

naednek wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 pm Saw a twitter comment... Not trying to make light of the horrible incident, but the comment made me chuckle

Vanya?
I chuckled. Definitely not, though, as we're all still here. I'd be happy to try another timeline at this point.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill bet the Minister released that info knowing full well the person responsible died in the blast or they can blame a dead person for it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored at Beirut warehouse at centre of explosion
news.com.au wrote:As Lebanon reels from a major explosion that has killed dozens and injured thousands, the nation’s Prime Minister has revealed a disturbing fact about the warehouse at the centre of the blast.

The explosion erupted in the Beirut’s port area late afternoon on Tuesday, with videos showing a fire burning in a building in the area before an enormous blast.

Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab said 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were being stored in a warehouse for years. He said this was “unacceptable”.
Holy crap. Oklahoma City was about 2.5 tons of ammonium nitrate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It gets worse. They’re talking about metric tonnes, not American tons. That’s about 3032 American tons.

It boggles the mind. :shock:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So you're saying that the metric system is more lethal than freedom units?
It's almost as if people are the problem.