Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lordnine

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Lordnine »

hentzau wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 am
Lordnine wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:14 pm Do the colors go deep or is it only a thin layer on top? Can you tell?
No real way to tell, without cutting into it (which I am loath to do.) If you look at the top of the war pick, it shows white, like the metal color didn't get applied there.
It's pretty cool but I don't think it's $40 cool. I'm curious where tech goes in a couple years. If they could get the price down to under $20 then that would be something.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Expensive per mini. Is it smooth enough to accept a touch up paint?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I guess? I mean, it’s smoother than when I print an FDM figure. I assume the surface would hold paint pretty well.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can hentzau resist?

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I couldn't. :oops:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The ship and battle board look pretty damn cool, in your defense. :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Didn't say anything about solo play so I won't dig any deeper into this cool sounding game...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I'm in. Dammit.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:09 pm
I think I'll be in on this one. i really like Ascension, and the implementation with minis looks neat.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Those Ascension testimonials are weak. Pass until someone I trust says this isn’t an unmanageable mess that’s cashing in.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Image
What the hell did I ever do to you...?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

1987. You saw me at studio 54 but you acted like you didn’t! Then you ended up going home with jerry Hall, even though I TOLD you I had a crush on her. So screw you pal! IT HAS SOLO!
Zarathud wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 pm Those Ascension testimonials are weak. Pass until someone I trust says this isn’t an unmanageable mess that’s cashing in.
That’s where I am on this. Ascension was fun for a while, but it really is a VERY light game at its core.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 pm 1987. You saw me at studio 54 but you acted like you didn’t! Then you ended up going home with jerry Hall, even though I TOLD you I had a crush on her. So screw you pal! IT HAS SOLO!
Oh. I thought we were even when I got you invited to that back room basement bar gathering in the Bowery where we were eating caviar off the backs of Sports Illustrated models and gorging on plates of ortolan with a coked up Mario Batali while trading absinthe shots with Daniel Boulud.
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 pm Those Ascension testimonials are weak. Pass until someone I trust says this isn’t an unmanageable mess that’s cashing in.
Anytime a company is diving into the miniature-based KS pool for the first time, I'm always nervous. Doubly so when there are so many unique sculpts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:01 pm
Anytime a company is diving into the miniature-based KS pool for the first time, I'm always nervous. Doubly so when there are so many unique sculpts.
Sigh...well, I was interested. ;). Being new to the KS thing, I’m actually grateful for the warnings.

I do love me some Ascension though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You want pirates with a dice tower and cards. Admit it and give in. :twisted:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:12 pmSigh...well, I was interested. ;). Being new to the KS thing, I’m actually grateful for the warnings.
It's definitely a lesson I've learned painfully. Another example (though I have no proof) is Dice Throne vs Dice Throne Adventures. Dice Throne is tremendously fun. Rolling dice? Always a hit. But their last KS changed the dice-based mechanic into a miniatures and tile-based dungeon crawl dice thingy. Maybe it'll be a blast - I have no idea. But my KS senses went off because of (what felt like) a move into the highly lucrative world of having a KS with minis. 3 years ago I would have backed it sight unseen because of how much I love Dice Throne (and still do). But this seemed like a bridge too far for me.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 pm You want pirates with a dice tower and cards. Admit it and give in. :twisted:
When I saw it was a $109 for the legendary pledge which was the one that interested me I found it a lot easier to resist. :P
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC already sent me an email telling me he hated me for backing this as he gets notifications when I do so on Kickstarter. Then I got the notification he backed it.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

From the Trickerion/Anachrony/Cerebria folks.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh goddammit, they’re Turczi games, aren’t they?

Edit: sigh, they are. Expensive month for me.

Siljanus, you got your revenge.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:47 pm Oh goddammit, they’re Turczi games, aren’t they?

Edit: sigh, they are. Expensive month for me.

Siljanus, you got your revenge.
In the board game world, we all lose... :cry:
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tell me it's alright. Tell me I didn't need to eat this month.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm still laughing at the idea of RMC banging his desk because hepcat backed 3 Kickstarter projects in 24 hours. :lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He’s got some extra cash since he, Zarathud and I didn’t go to origins this year. So I don’t feel TOO bad. He should probably back both the Perseverance games too, in light of that. It’s not like his daughters need fancy school supplies or food or whatever.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I was doing so well after Car Wars, Oath, Cloudspire, and Ankh. hepcat has been taking the hits for many things that might have tempted me. And then there was a new Paranoia RPG Sourcebox -- Project Infinite Hole in my wallet.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Chip Theory Games has announced that a new Hoplomachus KS will be launching in 2021.

HOPLOMACHUS: VICTORUM will be a new solo-only, campaign based game using the Hoplomachus mechanics, and they'll also be releasing a Hoplomachus Remaster which will include streamlined content from the base box and all expansions in one game.

I am extremely choosy in my Kickstarters, but I'll be going all in on that one.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:18 pm Chip Theory Games has announced that a new Hoplomachus KS will be launching in 2021.

HOPLOMACHUS: VICTORUM will be a new solo-only, campaign based game using the Hoplomachus mechanics, and they'll also be releasing a Hoplomachus Remaster which will include streamlined content from the base box and all expansions in one game.

Sigh, you had me at solo. :wub:
Black lives matter!

Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:18 pm Chip Theory Games has announced that a new Hoplomachus KS will be launching in 2021.

I'm eager to see what Chip Theory does with the Hoplo remaster. I've been buying their game since around the time of their last Hoplo kickstarter, but I recently traded away my Hoplo stuff for a copy of Cthulhu Wars. I loved Hoplo when I first got it, but never returned to it after Too Many Bones and Cloudspire.

Hopefully they bring new life to their original game, and if so, hopefully my wallet can take the hit.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I only own Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities, which was the oldest game and lacked a lot of the interesting AI, Titans, etc. added in later games. For years I've wanted to pick up more content, but just never got around to it. Now I'm glad I waited.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks to various sales, I own all the big box Hoplomachus stuff at this point, as well as quite a few of the mini expansions. So I'm happy to hear that they're not really making a new version of the games I have, but rather using that as a jumping off point for a new game in the series (which I will definitely back). And while they are making a new base game, it doesn't sound like it's going to be radically different than what I already own. So hopefully their will be no desire to buy into that when the KS starts.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:24 pm

Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 pm
$iljanus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:24 pm

Fine, I’ll give you Jerry Hall’s number damnit.
Black lives matter!

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I backed a non game kickstarter "Stem Box".

It's a subscription model (but I only did the first quarter). Each quarter, a kit of parts arrives that focus on coding, electronics, ai, etc.
They've got plans for the first 9 or so up, with some fun looking projects. I've dabbled in some of this stuff in the past but this looks like an easy way to learn some basics.

From the kickstarter page;
Every box is oriented about a specific topic and will help you learn about the important technologies of tomorrow.
Devices from some STEM Boxes can be interconnected and paired or used together to further your learning experience (and be more fun).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I backed "I think therefore I question"... a deck of cards with prompts that is supposed to either start a conversation or deeper introspection.

There are a couple I find interesting, but not quite enough to fund (at least not until I find a job)

* The Westa Clip -- a better stick-on phone clip/stand
* BetterBook -- a 16:9 aspect notebook designed to fit just below a keyboard
* Neopon 2-- an earphone that's stable, sounds good, and BT5.2.
* NEOS -- a magnetic vehicle phone holder that is designed to TAKE WITH YOU. it doesn't stick to dash or window. You use an EXTERIOR magnet to stick it to the windshield.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I broke down and backed the Rosewood Mayday Crokinole board. I just had the feeling I'd be kicking myself for not picking up a quality board that cheap. Plus my co-worker bought one and... peer pressure.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:49 pm I broke down and backed the Rosewood Mayday Crokinole board. I just had the feeling I'd be kicking myself for not picking up a quality board that cheap. Plus my co-worker bought one and... peer pressure.
I backed it at the start of the campaign and then cancelled because realistically the size, the storage and the maintenance (waxing? yes, I am that lazy) are all things that are problems for me. For the first time ever, I got a message from the campaign asking me to reconsider.I thoguht that was kind of cool. I am not reconsidering, but still cool.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:49 pm I broke down and backed the Rosewood Mayday Crokinole board. I just had the feeling I'd be kicking myself for not picking up a quality board that cheap. Plus my co-worker bought one and... peer pressure.
I backed it at the start of the campaign and then cancelled because realistically the size, the storage and the maintenance (waxing? yes, I am that lazy) are all things that are problems for me. For the first time ever, I got a message from the campaign asking me to reconsider.I thoguht that was kind of cool. I am not reconsidering, but still cool.
YK, welcome to the club. Coop, I’ve never waxed any of my boards. Maintenance is negligible.