Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm Thought you said Star Wolves for a moment. Loved that series. Dont know Space Wolf.
Warhammer 40000 Space Wolf.

I've played Star Wolves series. Interesting, though the RPG elements are a bit hard to understand. For a space game, you have to play it more as Diablo... Tease one or two enemies away from the mob, wipe them out, repeat.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya that was a hard lesson. I almost gave up on the first game before figuring that strategy out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I had completely forgotten that Bookworm Adventures existed.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Eel Snave wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:13 pm I had completely forgotten that Bookworm Adventures existed.
They got to you too!
I have but one advocate.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:27 pm Ya that was a hard lesson. I almost gave up on the first game before figuring that strategy out.
For some reason I'm reminded of that post you made many years ago when Sins of a Solar Empire was the new hotness. As I recall, you'd amassed a ridiculous fleet of literally dozens of capital ships to attack the enemy homeworld or something. :D
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Could be. I dont remember that at all but I did love that game and I have a habit of turtling until I amass a giant overwhelming force.

I started to say you're the best bot Ive ever seen but then I recall something about an old member who lost access. :)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 pm I started to say you're the best bot Ive ever seen but then I recall something about an old member who lost access. :)
Yep I've said elsewhere but the admins didn't respond when I asked for help recovering my old account. I'm the guy who sent you Bridge Commander!
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why am I not remembering this stuff!?? I played that game to death. Thank you. My life is bits and flashes. For 31 years my wife was my brain. We both agreed on that. I fend for myself now and I think Ive grown some grey matter. Though I dont recall last year at all much.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Has anyone used the mod pack Fixt for Fallout 1?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 pm Yep I've said elsewhere but the admins didn't respond when I asked for help recovering my old account. I'm the guy who sent you Bridge Commander!
Try posting in the Meta forum maybe?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:06 pm
Paradroid wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 pm Yep I've said elsewhere but the admins didn't respond when I asked for help recovering my old account. I'm the guy who sent you Bridge Commander!
Try posting in the Meta forum maybe?
What was your old account? I'm trying to figure out which missing person you could be!
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Ha! Well try to guess then! I think that back in the day I was talking about Silent Hunter 3, Guild Wars (I had a GW avatar), Eve Online...I played a lot of open-ended games. Oh and I loved talking about old 8-bit and 16-bit games.
I no longer post here.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Back in the day I remember everyone talking about Silent Hunter 3 and Guild Wars. You'd think SH3 was the new Mario Bros.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Reemul?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Nope. I'll tell you if you don't get it by the end of the day.
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

People might find this interesting, an article from SCS Software (they make the trucking simulators) called Under the Hood: Explaining SSAO :
Today we'd like to explain a new graphical feature that we are introducing to our games with update 1.38. The article is very technical - we have asked our programmers to help out, and the explanation is quite complex. However, we felt that it may actually be interesting for at least some of the people in our audience to be exposed to this material - to see that what is happening under the hood of a game engine involves a lot of research and hard work of our programming team. In addition to the technical details, we thought that providing the context and explaining the performance trade-offs may be useful and important for most of the players.

The TLDR summary of the text below is that Screen Space Ambient Occlusion is a cool new but performance-heavy technique to enrich the rendering of our game world. You do not have to use it if you feel it lowers performance too much for your liking, or you may like it and can afford to trade a few frames per second for improved shadow and depth perception. The effect may be subtle, it mostly works on subconsciousness level, but once you get used to it, it may be hard to go back. It is another milestone in our lighting/shadowing improvements plan that we are now executing, to be followed by new HDR light processing and introduction of more normal-mapped surfaces in upcoming updates.
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For a moment I thought this must be an old article on when it first came out. Then I saw it was a new article. Still wondering why they posted it. Is it just new to their games? I mean its been a thing since 2007 or so.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:42 pm For a moment I thought this must be an old article on when it first came out. Then I saw it was a new article. Still wondering why they posted it. Is it just new to their games? I mean its been a thing since 2007 or so.
It is new to ATS and ETS2.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:42 pm For a moment I thought this must be an old article on when it first came out. Then I saw it was a new article. Still wondering why they posted it. Is it just new to their games? I mean its been a thing since 2007 or so.
i'm guessing a significant portion of truck simulator players don't possess the latest graphics technology on their PCs. juuuuuust a guess
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

ATS/ETS graphics never looked quite photo-realistic unlike some racing games where only limited amount of real-estate needs to be loaded and rendered. To keep the frame rate up, I guess they just never implemented eye-candy stuff into their graphics engine.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:04 pm ATS/ETS graphics never looked quite photo-realistic unlike some racing games where only limited amount of real-estate needs to be loaded and rendered. To keep the frame rate up, I guess they just never implemented eye-candy stuff into their graphics engine.
I remember that they stated a long time ago that they were aiming to make it as accessible to as many players as possible, so they kept their requirements low. It is actually a bit of a wonder how popular their games have become, so perhaps they were on the right track. I have had Euro Truck Simulator 2 installed for years but finally uninstalled it since I'm really focused on the American Truck Simulator. I'm very much looking forward to Colorado being released maybe late this year, but I suspect I might be too old and gnarly to enjoy playing by the time Florida is released :roll:

Oh, that reminds me I need to check out ATS using my new wheel that arrives tomorrow. I might be less prone to driving off the sides of roads :shock:
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:00 pm i'm guessing a significant portion of truck simulator players don't possess the latest graphics technology on their PCs. juuuuuust a guess
I could be wrong, but you may be mistaking those games for old shovelware titles aimed at the audience you seem to be referencing. Euro Truck and American Truck are pretty unforgiving with a serious trading/business model that requires quite a grind and hours and hours of long, slow play sessions. It's hard for me to imagine it being the only game Donny plays on his Celeron-based laptop besides Deer Hunter 3.
I have but one advocate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

JetFred wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:40 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:00 pm i'm guessing a significant portion of truck simulator players don't possess the latest graphics technology on their PCs. juuuuuust a guess
I could be wrong, but you may be mistaking those games for old shovelware titles aimed at the audience you seem to be referencing. Euro Truck and American Truck are pretty unforgiving with a serious trading/business model that requires quite a grind and hours and hours of long, slow play sessions. It's hard for me to imagine it being the only game Donny plays on his Celeron-based laptop besides Deer Hunter 3.
not what i was thinking. more tp my point was these have a contingent of core players who are, to some degree and more or less, devoted to this title - spending many, many hours in it to the exclusion of most any other. from what i have observed - and this is only anecdotal; i don't have any data on this - mono-title players don't have cutting edge systems in the first place if those games don't absolutely require such. i suspect higher-end systems might be significantly more prevalent amongst, say, X-Plane devotees.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Fair enough. Actually, given what you all know about my collection, I think you'd be shocked to find how low-spec my machine is. But then again, if you look at the 20+ games I've finished during the pandemic, they tend to be a range of short adventure and puzzle games from the past 10 years.
I have but one advocate.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Another way of looking at it is that a truck simulator is still a relatively niche thing, so it doesn't need all the latest bells and whistles. But here's a company who has made steady improvement to its titles, and until recently was still using DirectX 9, moving to DirectX 11, and recently overhauled their sound to use FMOD. You don't often see that level of commitment and improvement.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

JetFred wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:17 pm Fair enough. Actually, given what you all know about my collection, I think you'd be shocked to find how low-spec my machine is. But then again, if you look at the 20+ games I've finished during the pandemic, they tend to be a range of short adventure and puzzle games from the past 10 years.
I didn't see this game in your impressively voluminous list, and suspect you'd quite enjoy it if you're not averse to an ARG adventure-puzzler:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I've looked at it, and I saw this recommendation again recently, but I actually haven't ever developed a tolerance for or interest in AR games. I think it's because I imagine the websites and such disappearing before I ever get around to it.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TF2 has become and inventory management sim. My inv has been full for months so Im constantly deleting stuff I get or stuff I have to make room for the new items. All I hear is that damn new item ding . I dont know what to delete any longer or what to use in crafting or whats neat or old or collectible or anything .Im so tired of it. Why cant they just triple my space so I can forget about it for a few years like when it was new. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I forgot the little tedious stuff that was in Fallout its been so long...The absolutely horrible inventory that shows only 3 or 4 items at a time or the teeny tiny little buttons you have to click for everything. I can open my inventory with I as normal but nope cant hit I again to close it..have to click the teeny tiny little button. All screens are that way. Want to rest...its in the pipboy not the R key.

I know I know its old. It had innovative stuff in its day. I was there. I know. I loved it.One of my top games ever. But going back after 23 years or so is tough...its like C&C and how you build stuff and such. Fine at the time but not now. But I still love it. Then again I recall even then how the INV management was fussed at.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 pm I started to say you're the best bot Ive ever seen but then I recall something about an old member who lost access. :)
Yep I've said elsewhere but the admins didn't respond when I asked for help recovering my old account. I'm the guy who sent you Bridge Commander!
Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:56 pm Big +1 to Huw the Poo for an amazing pristine copy of Bridge Commander. Thnx Huw!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Heh, I forgot about this. Correct, good detective work!
I no longer post here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm Heh, I forgot about this. Correct, good detective work!
BTW befitting your updated username, here's a suitable avatar image for you:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I know that guy :P
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:27 pm BTW befitting your updated username, here's a suitable avatar image for you:
Thank you!

<-- Look! :D
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For me its Look! ----------------------> :)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Hehe.

By the way Daehawk, look what I found (shame the screenshots are gone)! As you can see that's also the thread that brought SoaSE to my attention, and to this day it's on my Steam profile as my favourite game!
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I semi remember that. Ya the pics would be neat. I made a couple maps for that and they are still part of the company's map files.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm perturbed because there aren't any games interesting me at the moment. I don't feel like playing anything too complicated or anything where I have to learn an interface, so I'm just playing the same old boring games I play all the time. I feel like I need to reignite it somehow, but I can't.

I'm getting close with figuring out some stuff on Retroarch that'll make it more useful, but until then I'm borrrreeeeeed.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Eel Snave wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:22 pm I'm perturbed because there aren't any games interesting me at the moment. I don't feel like playing anything too complicated or anything where I have to learn an interface, so I'm just playing the same old boring games I play all the time. I feel like I need to reignite it somehow, but I can't.

I'm getting close with figuring out some stuff on Retroarch that'll make it more useful, but until then I'm borrrreeeeeed.
This has been spring and summer 2020 for a lot of us. I've actually spent quite a bit of time reexamining what I get out of games, and asking whether I still get that. Or if I still need it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)