Trying to connect my Fire tablet to car audio so kids can watch movies

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Trying to connect my Fire tablet to car audio so kids can watch movies

Post by McNutt »

I just bought a new Ford with the Sync system. My phone connects via USB for Android Auto. Everything works fine. Except movies. I have a Fire tablet that I want to show movies for the kids on long trips. I can connect to the car stereo via Bluetooth, but the audio delay in Bluetooth gets out of hand. The audio will be out of sync by up to several seconds.

I have been completely unsuccessful in finding another way to connect my tablet to the car's audio. If I plug it in to the USB it doesn't transfer any audio. That only works through Android Auto. The goal is not to use the car's info screen to watch the movies, but have them play on the Fire with sound coming from the car speakers.

My car does not have a 3.5mm input. I only have a USB and USB-C input, and those are only used for Android Auto and charging.

Any ideas?
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Trying to connect my Fire tablet to car audio so kids can watch movies

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

A decent-quality FM transmitter is likely your best bet. Just be sure to steer clear of cheapo models.

Here are some other models you may want to consider, courtesy of Android Authority:

The best FM transmitters for your car
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's a really good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

How about the aux port? One cable and you're done.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote: My car does not have a 3.5mm input. I only have a USB and USB-C input, and those are only used for Android Auto and charging.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Egads, second kindle and headphones!

Can't imagine a long road trip without adult music/podcasts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

In that case, FM transmitter (assuming there's no "cassette player", hahaha, for cassette adapter).

AND consider a "seat-back" mount or two that mounts between the two front-seat headrests, so the kid's don't fight over it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I bought an FM transmitter and it only worked through Bluetooth. Connecting the Fire to the USB port didn't do anything.

I ended up buying a small speaker that I connected via 3.5 to my Fire. It fits nicely in the cubby under where I mounted the Fire and it works very well. The sound is not car audio quality, but it's pretty damn good for kids to watch movies.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was riding with my sister-in-law and nephews in their van once and she put on some kid's stuff on the rear seat screen... with the audio routed over the vehicle speakers. i barely made it through a 20-minute trip.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 pm I bought an FM transmitter and it only worked through Bluetooth. Connecting the Fire to the USB port didn't do anything.

I ended up buying a small speaker that I connected via 3.5 to my Fire. It fits nicely in the cubby under where I mounted the Fire and it works very well. The sound is not car audio quality, but it's pretty damn good for kids to watch movies.
FM Transmitter would only take power from the from the USB port. Pretty sure you're supposed to plug that into the "headphone" port of the tablet. :)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 pm I bought an FM transmitter and it only worked through Bluetooth. Connecting the Fire to the USB port didn't do anything.
Just to clarify, the idea with an FM transmitter is that you typically plug it into your vehicle's cigarette lighter port. You connect your mobile device to the FM transmitter via Bluetooth, which then allows it to transmit audio to your vehicle's speakers over FM radio. The USB ports are usually only intended for keeping your mobile device charged.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Edier

Post by Edier »

BIOS just what is it good for? Spam evidently!
Edier

Post by Edier »

spammy spammy linky linky