Command and Conquer - Remastered

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Command and Conquer - Remastered

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming to PC on 6/5/2020

It’s time for your first in-depth look at the Command & Conquer™ Remastered Collection, featuring both Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert along with their three expansion packs!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Re: Command and Conquer - Remastered

Post by El Guapo »

Oh man, I loved Command and Conquer. This sounds like the perfect game for me to buy and then spend 30 minutes playing, then never get around to playing again.

I wonder if the AI in this would still use the tried-and-true strategy of sending one lone infantry guy against your base every five minutes.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:21 am I wonder if the AI in this would still use the tried-and-true strategy of sending one lone infantry guy against your base every five minutes.
Well, to be fair, sometimes, they sent a lone jeep or light tank.

A while back I played an open-source re-release of Dune II with upgraded AI (Dune Legacy? Dune... something else?), and basically it went like this:

1. Start building my base, harvest a little spice. Looking pretty good, can multi-select units and queue things up.
2. Get radar and vehicle factory starting to build.
2. Swarm of AI units overruns my base and blows everything up.
3. Uninstall.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:28 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:21 am I wonder if the AI in this would still use the tried-and-true strategy of sending one lone infantry guy against your base every five minutes.
Well, to be fair, sometimes, they sent a lone jeep or light tank.

A while back I played an open-source re-release of Dune II with upgraded AI (Dune Legacy? Dune... something else?), and basically it went like this:

1. Start building my base, harvest a little spice. Looking pretty good, can multi-select units and queue things up.
2. Get radar and vehicle factory starting to build.
2. Swarm of AI units overruns my base and blows everything up.
3. Uninstall.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 am Enlarge Image
Good times.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have no illusions over the game play. Instead, I'm going to fire it up to watch FMV and play the soundtrack.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Can you customize your left click/right click actions? I seem to recall that being a hotly debated issue back in the day.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Original C&C was one of only two games I ever played over a null modem cable (other was DOOM).

We bought a 50' phone cable and ran it across our apartment.

Over the years there have been few gaming experiences more satisfying than loading a chinook transport chopper with a few commandos, sending that chopper right along the edge of the map to my friends base, and then perfectly timing a landing following an ion cannon strike / nuke that would disable my roommate's air defenses.

The ensuing howl of frustration followed by laughter and cussing as the commandos destroyed his base was just icing on the cake.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I see this for pre-purchase on steam and it releases on June 5th, thought I'd ask here to see if there is any interest in friendly MP matches?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Redfive wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:57 am Original C&C was one of only two games I ever played over a null modem cable (other was DOOM).

We bought a 50' phone cable and ran it across our apartment.

Over the years there have been few gaming experiences more satisfying than loading a chinook transport chopper with a few commandos, sending that chopper right along the edge of the map to my friends base, and then perfectly timing a landing following an ion cannon strike / nuke that would disable my roommate's air defenses.

The ensuing howl of frustration followed by laughter and cussing as the commandos destroyed his base was just icing on the cake.
I have similarly fond memories of cheesily winning a Total Annnihilation LAN game, in which I used a squad of transport aircraft loaded with invader bombs as a distraction force to take out a hefty chunk of the enemy base. I was then able sneak around another transport aircraft to snatch up the unaware enemy commander and self-destruct it, thereby winning the game.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My tactic was a lot like those but instead of commandos I used engineers. Id grab a power plant and the mcv yard then start building turrets in their own base. Or just take as much as I could like power plants and instantly sell them all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
raydude

Post by raydude »

Did anyone else get a little depressed that as C&C sequels were released it became clear that, no matter what you did as the GDC, the Earth was getting more and more f*ed up?
naednek

Post by naednek »

raydude wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:13 am Did anyone else get a little depressed that as C&C sequels were released it became clear that, no matter what you did as the GDC, the Earth was getting more and more f*ed up?
no, because it was a game :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

This unlocks tomorrow. Is anyone interested in any multiplayer?

I may tool around with the campaign some but MP was always the draw for me.
T

Post by T »

I might be. I pre-ordered, the thing is I haven't played any RTS in a while, so I'm sure I'll suck.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

T wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am I might be. I pre-ordered, the thing is I haven't played any RTS in a while, so I'm sure I'll suck.
I'm not a hard core rusher or anything. In fact, in the C&C games I always enjoyed when both sides got to build up a little so I could take a crack at breaking through a base's defense.
naednek

Post by naednek »

oh man memory lane.

The coolest part, was they included the installation part of the game and updated that.

IRQ OBSOLETE

Graphically, it definitely looks better than the original, but it's nowhere close to being a pretty game. But it does take you back and makes you realize how far RTS games have gone. Fun watching the cut scenes, and hearing the music is the best part.

It makes you wish you can press A to tell your troops to move to a certain location and attack the nearest enemy.

If you didn't like the game before, nothing will change your mind. But if you loved it like I did, you should feel right at home and enjoy remembering playing the game at LAN parties and on T.E.N.

Welcome Back Commander indeed.
T

Post by T »

Redfive wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:23 am
T wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am I might be. I pre-ordered, the thing is I haven't played any RTS in a while, so I'm sure I'll suck.
I'm not a hard core rusher or anything. In fact, in the C&C games I always enjoyed when both sides got to build up a little so I could take a crack at breaking through a base's defense.
I'm more of a balanced player. I like to play defense, but sometimes you just can't sit back. I'm T77 online.

This seems to be a huge success so far. It's the top worldwide selling game on Steam, and the overwhelming amount of posts on the very active C&C sub-reddit are very positive. I need to give it a chance, but so far I agree with naednek. It's certainly a nice upgrade from the original, but as I'm playing I kept thinking I'd rather be playing Generals or some other more modern RTS. They should have had a classic mode to keep the game as the original and then added a modern mode to have such things as attack move, waypoints from buildings, etc. Maybe they can add it and also there is modding support and they released the source code so maybe we will see it in the future.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm waiting for someone here to complain that there's no pause button...
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 pm Can you customize your left click/right click actions? I seem to recall that being a hotly debated issue back in the day.
I'm guessing from your responses that the answer is no.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:48 am
Hrothgar wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 pm Can you customize your left click/right click actions? I seem to recall that being a hotly debated issue back in the day.
I remember a screenshot in a review showing a variety of “classic” vs “modern” control scheme toggles, and at least one toggle had to do with left right mouse click actions.
T

Post by T »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:22 am
Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:48 am
I remember a screenshot in a review showing a variety of “classic” vs “modern” control scheme toggles, and at least one toggle had to do with left right mouse click actions.
Correct, you can set it to right click.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

T wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:07 amCorrect, you can set it to right click.
Oh, thanks for that. I only tried it out yesterday for a bit and left clicking to do stuff really, really screwed me up. Hadn't realized how hard-wired my brain had become nor did I remember ever playing this game with a left-click activation.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:08 am
T wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:07 amCorrect, you can set it to right click.
Oh, thanks for that. I only tried it out yesterday for a bit and left clicking to do stuff really, really screwed me up. Hadn't realized how hard-wired my brain had become nor did I remember ever playing this game with a left-click activation.
Same. And then I played it long enough like that so that when I changed to rt clicking I was even more messed up.
T

Post by T »

A friend and I skirmished against the AI in RA. It was fun. One real nice feature is replays. Seems like they store a bunch of them online, not sure how far back it goes. But, you can access them from within the game - as you don't have to go find them and download them. You can even check the ladder, find a top ranked player and find all of their replays. Very nice!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

T wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am A friend and I skirmished against the AI in RA. It was fun. One real nice feature is replays. Seems like they store a bunch of them online, not sure how far back it goes. But, you can access them from within the game - as you don't have to go find them and download them. You can even check the ladder, find a top ranked player and find all of their replays. Very nice!
How is the AI in this? I assume they upgraded it from the original?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I watched a couple of campaign levels, and they seem to have upgraded "send one guy at a time" to "send five guys at a time". Pathfinding is still ridiculously awful - I watched a squad of five AI infantry go after the player's harvester. Through a tiberium field. Most of them died in the Tiberium, one came back to the player's main unit cluster and died.

So the AI in the campaign missions seems a little more aggressive, but is hobbled by "special" pathfinding.

edit: Great example

Definitely more aggressive.
Black Lives Matter
T

Post by T »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 am
T wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am A friend and I skirmished against the AI in RA. It was fun. One real nice feature is replays. Seems like they store a bunch of them online, not sure how far back it goes. But, you can access them from within the game - as you don't have to go find them and download them. You can even check the ladder, find a top ranked player and find all of their replays. Very nice!
How is the AI in this? I assume they upgraded it from the original?
It was on medium and only a couple of games, but it was decent. It puts a lot of pressure on you, goes after your harvesters. And it stole my war factory twice.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I've heard that they didn't change the pathing AI, as it broke a lot of things.

So harvester management is still a thing. Made for some hilarious MP moments back in the day.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont forget its the 25th Anniversary of C&C as of yesterday! Theres no special stuff going on for it that I can see though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"