Tabletop Randomness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

RMC

Re: Tabletop Randomness

Post by RMC »

So what is everyone's thoughts on Arkham Horror (3rd Edition)? I have 2nd Edition, and wondering if I need/should upgrade, or if it is basically the same game?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Anyone else catch yesterday's "Board Girls" episode of South Park?

It was fun seeing South Park take such a deep dive into the geeky world of board gaming.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I didn't see it, but I did see a screen shot of them also going really deep playing Blood and Plunder.

(Man, I have a ton of naked pirates sitting in my storage...)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hepcat has tried Arkham 3rd but I’ll stick with a complete 2d edition. Then again, I did pick a board game table big enough to include all of it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 pm Hepcat has tried Arkham 3rd but I’ll stick with a complete 2d edition. Then again, I did pick a board game table big enough to include all of it.
I have most of 2nd edition. It's a handfull to play all of, but I have a 4x8 table we play on, so no worries about space.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like Arkham Horror 3rd edition for the stronger narrative. They included the card archive mechanic from their Fallout board game, which is the best part of that one. I can bring it with me back to Ohio for our holiday game day if you want. It's a significantly different game than 2nd edition. At least enough so that you won't feel like you just bought 2nd edition again.

AH 2nd edition still holds a place in my heart, but good lord it's a beast to get out.

Of course, Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is still my go to for a Lovecraft gaming event. Nothing beats that one for pure fun, imho.
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:48 pm Anyone else catch yesterday's "Board Girls" episode of South Park?

It was fun seeing South Park take such a deep dive into the geeky world of board gaming.
I immediately thought of you when Cartman told Kyle he should just play solo games, and Kyle replied, "You mean like Nemo's War? Nemo's War is pretty sweet.". :lol:

In that same episode they mentioned Boardgamegeek.com and Dice Tower reviews. Since they've been adding more and more references to board games over the last couple of years, I think it's safe to say they're fellow gamers.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:38 pm I like Arkham Horror 3rd edition for the stronger narrative. They included the card archive mechanic from their Fallout board game, which is the best part of that one. I can bring it with me back to Ohio for our holiday game day if you want. It's a significantly different game than 2nd edition. At least enough so that you won't feel like you just bought 2nd edition again.

AH 2nd edition still holds a place in my heart, but good lord it's a beast to get out.

Of course, Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is still my go to for a Lovecraft gaming event. Nothing beats that one for pure fun, imho.
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:48 pm Anyone else catch yesterday's "Board Girls" episode of South Park?

I immediately thought of you when Cartman told Kyle he should just play solo games, and Kyle replied, "You mean like Nemo's War? Nemo's War is pretty sweet.". :lol:

In that same episode they mentioned Boardgamegeek.com and Dice Tower reviews. Since they've been adding more and more references to board games over the last couple of years, I think it's safe to say they're fellow gamers.
I think Mansions is our go to for that particular afternoon. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Any one need unusual dice for their tabletop games? Custom engraving available.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gt ... ry_similar
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think the one most important thing about not playing board games is not having enough room.
In the whole house we have one card table set up and we play dominoes every day. Not by my choice.
But the better games take too long and too much space to leave them up for any amount of time.
No dining room table.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt, take a look at Qwirkle.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:11 pm I think the one most important thing about not playing board games is not having enough room.
In the whole house we have one card table set up and we play dominoes every day. Not by my choice.
But the better games take too long and too much space to leave them up for any amount of time.
No dining room table.
So treat yourself to a larger table. Here's a 4-ft folding table for just under $70 (or go with a larger folding rectangular table from Amazon/Walmart/Costco if you can accommodate it). Combine that with a PokerHoody, and it ought to make for a decent gaming table capable of handling the majority of tabletop games.

Also, if you enjoy playing dominoes, check out Kingdomino.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
RMC

Post by RMC »

I like that table, good find.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been looking for a folding 4' table forever, but I want square, not round. I have a card table, but its 34" just isn't big enough for a lot of games. The only ones I seem to find are horribly expensive or out of stock. I've thought about trying to make a topper for my card table, but I don't have any way to cut or transport the material.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:21 pm I've been looking for a folding 4' table forever, but I want square, not round. I have a card table, but its 34" just isn't big enough for a lot of games. The only ones I seem to find are horribly expensive or out of stock. I've thought about trying to make a topper for my card table, but I don't have any way to cut or transport the material.
Here's a foldable 48" octagonal card table (though it is more costly due to extras like the speed cloth, cup holders, and cushioned arm rests).

Failing that, perhaps a foldable card game tabletop like this might provide a little more room to work with?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually looked at some of those same items. The problem with the chip/cup holders is that I'd end up not being able to use half of the space on the table.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hollandspiele is having its annual holiday sale. Five bucks off everything, plus 10% off orders of $100 or more. I am tempted by several of their niche-y historical and war games.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:20 pm I actually looked at some of those same items. The problem with the chip/cup holders is that I'd end up not being able to use half of the space on the table.
Yeah, I see what you mean. In that case, the best option may well be to build your own. Here's a reddit post that explains how to make a sub-$50 DIY table topper and here's one on how to build DIY gaming table for less than $50.

But if DIY ain't your thing, I suspect you'd still be better off with the 4-foot round folding table I linked above vs. a 34-inch square card table.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, Home Depot has a decent selection of folding tables on their website. Didn't check their prices, but they up up to 72 inches, but they're all round.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I can manage basic DIY stuff, but I don't have the tools. Nor does anybody around here that I know. I have a drill. I don't own a single saw. The places around here will no longer cut wood to order, either. They'll only cut it to fit in your vehicle, not to your measurements.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:21 pm I have a card table, but its 34" just isn't big enough for a lot of games.
I use a 34" table and a folding TV tray table. I played my first scenario of Gloomhaven today. Even playing solo with 3 characters there was enough room. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure out how.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Must...have it. Can't resist...
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got a GenCon email and it seems Ravensburger is publishing a BACK TO THE FUTURE cooperative game next year.

Based on their recent great track record with IP-based games (VILLAINOUS, JAWS, HORRIFIED) I'm cautiously optimistic.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A good article on what makes Pax Pamir great. It's my favorite game of 2019.
Unlike other post-colonial fantasies such as Spirit Island, Wehrle’s vision is weathered by historical pragmatism. There are no noble last stands to make, no magical spirits to invoke for aid, no defiant bellows spat in the faces of your unwanted overlords. Instead, survival is the name of the game, and you survive by going along.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:20 pm I actually looked at some of those same items. The problem with the chip/cup holders is that I'd end up not being able to use half of the space on the table.
Hmmm... Clamp on side-trays? Though it can get expensive if you need to buy more than a few of them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alexa, play Starfinder:
To play, all you have to do is say, “Alexa, play Starfinder” on any Alexa-enabled device. That will take you to the free pilot episode, “Scoundrels in the Spike,” adapted from the Starfinder Beginner Box adventure of the same name.

If you don’t already have an Alexa-enabled device, Alexa can be downloaded and installed for free on a variety of devices like phones, tablets, or computers. Just make sure you have a strong data connection (wifi is probably best).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

God help me, I'm thinking of shelling out $$$ for a neoprene playmat.

We mainly play on an expandable coffee table (this one) in our living room. The wood veneer is somehow both too slippery and not grippy enough for game components, and there's a big seam down the middle where it unfolds. A playmat that I could throw over the table on game nights would be amazing.

Unfortunately, it's a weird size at 39.5" x 45", which means either cutting a sheet to fit or ordering custom. Either way, oof. Cheapest I've found is a ding-and-dent sheet from foamorder.com, and even that's $60 after shipping and handling. Hmm.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A mat makes all the difference. I don't have any giant sized neoprene mats ($$$), but I do have a 3x3 and a small stack of player-sized mats. What I use for my large table is yoga mats. I got a pair of $10 yoga mats off of Amazon, laid them on top of the table, got underneath and traced the edges with a sharpie. They were simple to cut to shape with a knife (although scissors would work, too.) They're as good as a neoprene mat. Things don't slide as easily, which can be good for some games, but make things harder for others.

For example, something with a modular board (say, Catan) won't budge. Miniatures don't slide. At the same time, cards don't slide. The stay where they land when dealing, which could be an issue for some. In use:
Spoiler:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not going to help by agreeing, but the mats do make a difference. Blackhawk's yoga mat thing might be a good solution. I've seen plenty of round or oval mats but they usually have poker or gambling themes on them. I don't recall them being expensive, but maybe with such a demand, prices have gone up across the boards are they are quite useful.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The secret to neoprene is to go through fabric companies, not game companies. It cuts down the cost considerably.

Relevant resource
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have a neoprene mat on the gaming table I bought. But I still use a cut up yoga mat on the dining room table when I play there. It works fine.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Anonymous Bosch

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:46 am God help me, I'm thinking of shelling out $$$ for a neoprene playmat.

We mainly play on an expandable coffee table (this one) in our living room. The wood veneer is somehow both too slippery and not grippy enough for game components, and there's a big seam down the middle where it unfolds. A playmat that I could throw over the table on game nights would be amazing.

Unfortunately, it's a weird size at 39.5" x 45", which means either cutting a sheet to fit or ordering custom. Either way, oof. Cheapest I've found is a ding-and-dent sheet from foamorder.com, and even that's $60 after shipping and handling. Hmm.
Here's a 32.6 x 32.6-inch card game mat for $32.99 with free Amazon shipping, which ought to work fairly well with your particular gaming table.

Or follow Blackhawk's suggestion and order this 72" x 36" black Yoga mat for $19.99 with free Prime shipping and trim it down to fit.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Tabletop Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

I ordered a custom 3.25 ft x 6 ft (39 in x 72 in) double sided neoprene mat for Christmas and it turned out great. I’ll update with a link tonight.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Plain mats are easy to find, but it's so hard to find printed mats that don't have elaborate scenes. So, so many of them have complex designs and elaborate colors that are going to clash with any game set up on them. I don't want to have to search for a token on the background, or have the mat competing with the art on the cards. I'd love to see a line that has 3x3 mats with a simple theme: 'Plank inn table', 'rusty riveted metal', 'starship deck', etc.

Of course, now that I said that someone will post a link to them, as they've been there all along and I just haven't seen them. And then I'll see the price and go back to my yoga mats. *sigh* At least I know my patterns.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:40 pm Plain mats are easy to find, but it's so hard to find printed mats that don't have elaborate scenes. So, so many of them have complex designs and elaborate colors that are going to clash with any game set up on them.
I have a 4'x6' terrain neoprene mat that has grass on one side, desert on the other. I throw it on a set of folding tables and then put a $10 solid color tablecloth over them. It's not exactly the same as playing directly on the neoprene mat, but just having it under the tablecloth does make it easier to pick up tokens and cards than if I was just playing on the hard plastic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm seriously just considering a clear shower curtain with tablecloth clips.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You almost got me. I've seen the terrain mats, and have considered them as an option.

Perfect mat: Give me this in a 3x4

And this as a secondary mat, but face-on rather than at an angle:

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm I'm seriously just considering a clear shower curtain with tablecloth clips.
This thread is about tabletop gaming, not your evening wear preferences.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don’t tempt me into sending pictures.