Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hepcat »

Just played the suggested set up for my first game...and lost. But had a blast all the same. Oddly enough, it addresses every problem I have with Brook City, yet it came out before it. Looking forward to playing with a few others Friday after work.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what I did - sleeve as I play the fighters. Plus it helps you then remember which ones you've tried. :D I've come to really, really like the Paladin-brand sleeves and have participated in every sleeve KS they've run. I think you end up getting them for ~50% off that way. Not sure when they're doing one again, but you can order them direct to see if you like them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 pm Just played the suggested set up for my first game...and lost. But had a blast all the same. Oddly enough, it addresses every problem I have with Brook City, yet it came out before it. Looking forward to playing with a few other Friday after work.
I really like this so much more than Brook City (solo in particular). It's slick as hell. One you understand a fighter and get comfortable with the mechanics, set up a stage exactly the same and switch to a different fighter. Be instantly impressed at how different it plays. :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Down to the last expansion box, the dramatic "Essence of Evil"! Won't touch the minis and tokens until tomorrow but the cards are close to sorted. There's quite a few cards...

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 pm That's what I did - sleeve as I play the fighters. Plus it helps you then remember which ones you've tried. :D I've come to really, really like the Paladin-brand sleeves and have participated in every sleeve KS they've run. I think you end up getting them for ~50% off that way. Not sure when they're doing one again, but you can order them direct to see if you like them.
I got mine a few days early, which was a nice surprise. The box was... impressive. I opened it last night and unpacked it all (taking shrink wrap and such). There is a stupid amount of content here. Just plan ridiculous. In terms of sheer gameplay, the cost to get the "all in" pledge was WAY under what you normally get from other games.

So, I am a little confused, will the Aftershock box fit all the content, from stretch goals and expansions, or only the base and Aftershock content?

I am also looking forward to some quick painting of minions using Citadel's contrast paints.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:49 pmI am a little confused, will the Aftershock box fit all the content, from stretch goals and expansions, or only the base and Aftershock content?
There was a short (~5 minute) video shared by the creators last year regarding the box:

There was a post when the KS started with some still photos of the prototype, so that might help too. In short, the box is designed to hold everything except for the miniatures. All the cards, maps, manuals, tokens, dice, chits - everything. I seem to remember watching a video they hosted where they said they used the baggie method for miniature storage (grouped by enemy) and had those baggies storied in the original core box.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was able to fit all the minis, tokens and cards in the uber Aftershock box but I decided to store the map boards in the base game box.

Storing the different mini groups in their own baggy does make set up easy. Thanks for that suggestion.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

I've managed to get in a few games of Street Masters this weekend, and I want to thank everyone here for talking the game up--this game is right in my wheelhouse. :wub:

Once I got the basic rules down, games are quite quick to play. This is so refreshing after playing a lot of solo Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones the last couple of years. I love TMB and enjoy Gloomhaven, but neither allow me to jump in for a quick game as easily as Street Masters.

My only quibble so far is the color bands designed to differentiate minions. Mine fit so snugly, my fingers hurt after setting up for each game. I'd bought extras, so I hope leaving them on the minions will help them to stretch out in time. If not, I might just paint the bases of each mini.

I'm already feeling the need to buy Aftershock and other expansions I do not have, though the Street Master tier gave me plenty of material to work through for the present time. Along with Cloudspire, I figure I'll be busy for the foreseeable future.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I had never heard of Street Masters so after reading all the overwhelming positive comments in the various threads I searched it on Google. The core game can still be had for about $80 but everything else is sold out. The top tier KS pledge that most folks here are referring to is now selling for close to $500 on eBay. There was one online outlet which specializes in selling KS packages after they close was selling it for $299, think the original was like $209, so yeah, for those lucky to have pledged, seems like a "deal of the century".
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If the only thing you can get your hands on is the core retail box, it's still very much worth it as there's s ton of gameplay inside. Various things are going to show up in their web store (get the redemption packs!) and it won't surprise me if there are reprints of the expansions sold the same way as they have other KS projects delivered.
Fishbelly wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:00 pm I've managed to get in a few games of Street Masters this weekend, and I want to thank everyone here for talking the game up--this game is right in my wheelhouse. :wub:
I'm quite happy to hear that. I always get nervous when I strongly recommend something, but Street Masters ticks all the right boxes for me too. I haven't even touched campaign play - it's just too much fun to load up a stage and pick a random fighter.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:26 pm I'm quite happy to hear that. I always get nervous when I strongly recommend something, but Street Masters ticks all the right boxes for me too. I haven't even touched campaign play - it's just too much fun to load up a stage and pick a random fighter.
By campaign play, do you mean the story decks? I've not even looked at them yet, as I still have so many characters, stages, and enemies to try out. Maybe I can give story decks a look next weekend.

The game does remind me (happily) of Sentinels of the Multiverse, with the mix-and-match modular play. I know the game is maligned by some, but I have fond memories of SotM. It was the first game I really got into playing solo many years ago, and I played the hell out of it.

Hell, just organizing Street Masters (sorting cards w/ dividers) gave me SotM flashbacks and got me grinning in anticipation. :mrgreen:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, campaign play is the character story decks. Not only is there a branching campaign but you can upgrade skills as you progress through the various levels to ultimately throw down with the boss. I haven't touched it at all and it's crazy to me how much content there is because of it.

I've read the comparisons to SotM as well, though I think the addition of the miniatures changes it to a whole different game. Not so much the minis (they could be cardboard tokens) but that situational/positional element that is taken into account. That's why I'm quite excited to see their version of a superhero game on Tuesday.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:26 am So this is interesting: Senet, a magazine about board games. Launching an ink-and-wood-pulp magazine in this day and age seems nuts, but that's what Kickstarter is supposed to be for, right?

The price is reasonable for what sounds like a quality product, I still love reading magazines (Scientific American!), and the hobby lacks a real mag. Meeple Monthly and Game Trade Magazine are OK to browse, but they are catalogs with poorly written, publisher-sponsored promotional content, not real magazines.
I'll plug this one more time, since their deadline is approaching and they haven't met their target yet. Dan Thurot in print, people!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Preview page for Hour of Need is up.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I got my email telling me that the Western Legends expansion has shipped.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Preview page for Hour of Need is up.
I like the superhero setting better than the fantasy setting they're also working on so I have no choice but to check it out...
Black lives matter!

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

RMC wrote:I got my email telling me that the Western Legends expansion has shipped.
Mine was delivered last week.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

hentzau wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:55 pm
RMC wrote:I got my email telling me that the Western Legends expansion has shipped.
Mine was delivered last week.
I backed after the kickstarter from thier website. I had to email and ask where mine was, since people were getting thier copy. No response to my emailed request, but a tracking number with my order suddenly appeared. Go figure...
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:08 pm Preview page for Hour of Need is up.

P.S. RMC, take note. You like Brook City, I believe. And while I have some issues with it, I still like it. Street Masters though is insanely fun, and uses essentially the same rules. Hour of Need looks like it will capture that same magic.

I should bring my 23.5 pound box of Street Masters home for our holiday game day/evening. Thought it might cut into our traditional day of Christmas Cthulhu'ing.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:09 am
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:08 pm Preview page for Hour of Need is up.

P.S. RMC, take note. You like Brook City, I believe. And while I have some issues with it, I still like it. Street Masters though is insanely fun, and uses essentially the same rules. Hour of Need looks like it will capture that same magic.

I should bring my 23.5 pound box of Street Masters home for our holiday game day/evening. Thought it might cut into our traditional day of Christmas Cthulhu'ing.
Christmas Chicken and Cthulu, I am not sure I can live without it now a days. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It seems like every year, a few months before Christmas, FFG releases a new Mansions of Madness expansion. And yup, there's one that I'm about to order now that just released.

Back on topic: Sniper: Legends of Italy just launched. This one seems to be in the same vein as V-Commandos, which I'm still currently smitten with (even if Street Masters is constantly drawing me away). Small box game with true solo play. If it lives up to claims that it's basically Sniper Elite the board game, I'll be quite satisfied.

...although I do find the number of times he gleefully talks about killing Nazis on the project page to be a little disconcerting.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hour of need looks awesome! The timing sucks, though. Yesterday was Michelle's last day at her job, Caiden's birthday is tomorrow, and next month are another birthday and Christmas.

I'll still be clicking the 'Remind Me' button, though. Because I'm an idiot.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm trying to use the wealth of content in STREET MASTERS to limit my game purchasing for the near future. Along with MIDDARA coming next year.

Of course, it's not going to work, but I'm trying.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've already decided I'm all in. I do find it a nice change that they've included a lower priced point of entry with the 1 to 2 player boxes you can purchase at around 35 bucks. Buy it and then if you like it, just grab the rest at retail or when the 2nd kickstarter happens.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:02 pm I'm trying to use the wealth of content in STREET MASTERS to limit my game purchasing for the near future. Along with MIDDARA coming next year.

Of course, it's not going to work, but I'm trying.
Ha Ha Ha Ha! :lol:

No, I'm not making fun of you personally and it's a noble effort. It's the endeavor itself that we've all attempted from time to time that makes me laugh.

A sincere good luck to you! Oh, you do know thanks to Smoove the Enabler that the developers have kickstarted a superhero based game. Superheros...
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:29 pm
A sincere good luck to you! Oh, you do know thanks to Smoove the Enabler that the developers have kickstarted a superhero based game. Superheros...
Their initial game, Math Masters, was a bit of a bust. A card based game centered around a group of rogue CPAs just didn't seem to strike a chord with audiences.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am Back on topic: Sniper: Legends of Italy just launched. This one seems to be in the same vein as V-Commandos, which I'm still currently smitten with (even if Street Masters is constantly drawing me away). Small box game with true solo play. If it lives up to claims that it's basically Sniper Elite the board game, I'll be quite satisfied
I'd been following this one since the summer (I think) and now that it's launched, something just feels...off about it. I have it reminded, but I'm not completely sold.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How so? I'm not personally invested in it, so if you see a warning sign that I might be missing, feel free to help a brother out with some info.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wish I could. I need to watch more gameplay or turn examples. I don't think it's a scam or anything, it's just something about the mechanics that isn't sitting right with me. The price point is low enough that I'm considering backing and then just dropping out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, it might be a moot point anyway, as I just went all in on Hour of Need...then did a late pledge for the new expansions for Thunderstone Quest so I could get the chapter 2 content that isn't available anywhere else. Now I need to make some sacrifices. :oops:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Can I just move my Altar Quest money over to Hour of Need? I'm fine with a further delay.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:21 pm Well, it might be a moot point anyway, as I just went all in on Hour of Need...then did a late pledge for the new expansions for Thunderstone Quest so I could get the chapter 2 content that isn't available anywhere else. Now I need to make some sacrifices. :oops:
I'm thinking of adding $50 to the Hour of Need pledge to get all the minis (and bonus cards), an extra set of dice and the play mat. No half measures! I do like this new trend of ~3 week KS projects instead of a month. I'm quite curious to see where this one ends up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm absolutely sure I'll do that in the pledge manager once it opens. And if it's open when I get my yearly spring bonus like it was for Street Masters, I'm sure I'll add on the 50 dollar option to have them stared at for 10 minutes by the Sadler brothers before being boxed up and sent to me.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sounds like a great plan. I have no doubts you'll be able to add more to the pledge manager in the Spring. :D

What I also think interesting about this KS is that they have those affordable base options but the only way to get the stretch goals is to back the highest level tier. I'd imagine most are going for that level, but if you don't want to get all cluttered up with options, you don't have to feel like you're paying for things you don't want.

Also: you want all the stretch goals and options

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my Aftershock pledge arrived (all 28lbs) and unfortunately something must have happened with the giant box that had the card decks rocketing around inside. As a result, one of my trays was absolutely shredded. No damage to the outside of the box or anything else, but I can't even fix the tray because of how it was torn apart. I've emailed them so hopefully they have a reasonable resolution.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 pm Speaking of exploding Kickstarters...

Critical Role's Kickstarter to create a Vox Machina animated special.

Today's news: The original KS was for two episodes. It funded into a 10-episode season. As of today, Amazon has picked it up as a Prime series. Backers still get the season they paid for free, and it has now been bumped up to 12 episodes. In addition, Amazon has committed to a second full, 12-episode season.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:07 pm
EDIT: I forgot to mention, my Aftershock pledge arrived (all 28lbs) and unfortunately something must have happened with the giant box that had the card decks rocketing around inside. As a result, one of my trays was absolutely shredded. No damage to the outside of the box or anything else, but I can't even fix the tray because of how it was torn apart. I've emailed them so hopefully they have a reasonable resolution.
If you remember while organizing stuff, check your "Card Step, Action Step, Move Step" tokens to see if you have each of those three in four different colors. I discovered Friday night that I have a set of 3 green, 3 blue, 3 yellow...and two brown with one yellow. Not worth opening a trouble ticket on it. Just something I found odd and I'm curious if anyone else has seen it with theirs.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the color for all of my tokens is correct, sounds like you just have a bad print. I'd let them know only so they can communicate it back to the printer as I doubt you're the only one. I did just see the newest email regarding errata materials missing from all Aftershock-level orders and how Brook City orders headed to Brazil were accidentally re-routed by the shipping company after a KS backer contacted them directly and they thought he worked for BlackList. Good lord. I'm hopeful that they're no longer using Blackbox moving forward. My shipment was better protected than when I order SM last year direct from them, but it sounds like they really aren't equipped to handle the volume and complexity of these KS projects.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just sent an email to their customer service address so they could let the printer know, but I also told them not to do anything about my tokens. It's really trifling compared to how much money they're going to be shelling out to address all the issues BlackBox has caused them. Hopefully they can recoup those rather substantial losses from them as compensation for their screw up.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tainted Grail is shipping.

It's almost as if people are the problem.