Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by $iljanus »

Hmmm, that DVG kickstarter sounds like a game they tried to get backed a few years ago. Or I might be mixing up my kickstarters.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nope. It's the same one - from 2015. The concerns raised back then (namely how close it looks to other games with big shiny robots) makes me wonder how they think it'll be safe from legal action in 2019 vs 2015. Based on what I've seen from the preview page, I'll be amazed if it funds. Of note: I think this is their first attempt at creating a miniatures-based game. For that reason alone, I'd stay far, far away.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Tao

Post by Tao »

Handleabra, the dev team that did the digital version of Sentinels of the Multiverse, One Deck Dungeon and Aeons End are working on Spirit Island. I know that's another game that gets a lot of love in the forum. There is a funding project on IndieGoGo.

Digital Spirit Island kickstart
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Tao wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:39 pm Handleabra, the dev team that did the digital version of Sentinels of the Multiverse, One Deck Dungeon and Aeons End are working on Spirit Island. I know that's another game that gets a lot of love in the forum. There is a funding project on IndieGoGo.

Digital Spirit Island kickstart
The "digital playmat" included with the deluxe edition seems like one of the lamest ideas for a reward I've ever heard of.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Did anyone make a game table with what's essentially a monitor under it with good viewing angles and can display almost anything from hex grids to game maps? Someone should do that.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It has been done. My impression is that it was both more trouble and less effective than using a projector mounted overhead. (The link is to a portable one. The permanent ones mount the projector without the metal struts.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:16 am It has been done. My impression is that it was both more trouble and less effective than using a projector mounted overhead. (The link is to a portable one. The permanent ones mount the projector without the metal struts.)
Or underneath, hiding in the base, projecting upwards... with mirrored image.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have a pico projector I tried mounting above my table. I could never get it set up to where I liked it. The throw distance is important, because I couldn't get the maps small enough to fit on my table (well, actually, the piece of foam core I put on my table for it. My table is painted black with a D&D logo in the center (present from my eldest daughter, not my dream table, but she worked a lot on it, so, what are you going to do?) so I needed something to project on.

I still like the idea, I just need a different projector that can project and focus a smaller image.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've been doing a good job of avoiding board game kickstarters lately, but this has me tempted: Shores of Tripoli. An overlooked period in history, inspired by Twilight Struggle, plays in an hour...
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Got an email about a Kickstarter for Emperor's Choice Deluxified and was wondering... does anyone here have any experience with the non-deluxified version?
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

And... got my Endure the Stars 1.5 pledge today. Need to check everything later and move things to the new box, it would seem.
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Time for the monthly CMON games project. This time they're returning to the Zombicide well again...but with a reboot of the first game. I give you Zombicide 2nd edition.

Honestly, it looks kind of fun to me. I like the rules they're obviously bringing over from their other games. However, I avoid CMON games like the plague. If it gets good word of mouth on release, I'll think about it though.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Since I have most of the Zombicide original series (and love the movie characters they used), I'll probably get the upgraded character cards. Probably.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ll definitely play it!
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

if I still had the original I would be in for the upgrade, but I don't so I won't. :P The kids and I played several games of Zombicide Invader and I think I am done buying Zombicide games. The random is just way too random.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

CMON is currently 4 months late with Death May Die and they haven't exactly provided firm shipping information for when it might actually arrive. If I read between the lines, I think it will be here late November, which is pretty unfortunate. For them to be launching a new KS while they are still screwing around with delivery is a big no-no in my book.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Time for the monthly CMON games project. This time they're returning to the Zombicide well again...but with a reboot of the first game. I give you Zombicide 2nd edition.

Honestly, it looks kind of fun to me. I like the rules they're obviously bringing over from their other games. However, I avoid CMON games like the plague. If it gets good word of mouth on release, I'll think about it though.
I have the Rue Morgue standalone expansion and Invader. I really like both games so getting a 2nd edition of the original plus the DC expansion is checking off all the boxes for me. Also the CMON minis are really well done. I think I'll be making my pledge and in a few years a big box will show up on my porch with all sorts of Zombicide goodness! Just hope by that time my back is still in good shape to pick it up and bring it in the house...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 pm CMON is currently 4 months late with Death May Die and they haven't exactly provided firm shipping information for when it might actually arrive. If I read between the lines, I think it will be here late November, which is pretty unfortunate. For them to be launching a new KS while they are still screwing around with delivery is a big no-no in my book.
Your book is kind of hilarious.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So this is interesting: Senet, a magazine about board games. Launching an ink-and-wood-pulp magazine in this day and age seems nuts, but that's what Kickstarter is supposed to be for, right?

The price is reasonable for what sounds like a quality product, I still love reading magazines (Scientific American!), and the hobby lacks a real mag. Meeple Monthly and Game Trade Magazine are OK to browse, but they are catalogs with poorly written, publisher-sponsored promotional content, not real magazines.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It’s not a bad idea as a specialty magazine. Shipping kills it though in the US. Most people who would be interested are not going to pay $14 per issue.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just received my Kickstarter object uCast a sort of body-mount (with magnets) for smart devices. if you already have a mag plate on your phone, this will stick to it, even through a shirt or two. Or mount it to any stable metal surface, or to just about any surface you can stick a metal disc to. It's simple as heck, and so far, quite effective. Jogging won't toss it off, nor would climbing stairs.

I am still waiting for all my other Kickstarter goodies to arrive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll be truly surprised if that is still supported 6 months after delivery.
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:20 pm I've been doing a good job of avoiding board game kickstarters lately, but this has me tempted: Shores of Tripoli. An overlooked period in history, inspired by Twilight Struggle, plays in an hour...
I've been eyeing that one too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My gigantic box of Street Masters stuff has shipped. Should be here by Tuesday of next week. More than a few folks are reporting that the Aftershock Stretch Goal box is missing from their shipment, but it's listed as being in my order. So hopefully I won't have to send an email to their customer service about a missing item.
Covfefe!
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 am My gigantic box of Street Masters stuff has shipped. Should be here by Tuesday of next week. More than a few folks are reporting that the Aftershock Stretch Goal box is missing from their shipment, but it's listed as being in my order. So hopefully I won't have to send an email to their customer service about a missing item.
I didn't realize this had started shipping! I'm excited to try this game out, after all the positive feedback on this site. I backed the game late, so I will try to be patient while the kickstarter orders get sent out first. Luckily, I have Cloudspire to keep me busy.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yep mine arrives Tuesday as well. Fortunately I'll be home so I can assist the twelve men they'll have to hire to carry it to my porch.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Never ceases to amaze me the seemingly random shipping that happens with KS projects. I fully expect mine to arrive in November, which is preferable to it being mailed to my old address. I was repeatedly assured my address was updated back in July, but I never really trust these things.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

This is one of the most ambitious boardgames I've seen. Beyond Humanity: Colonies. There are so many things that could go wrong with this but if they pull it off it could be really awesome.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got my second KS item: an ultra-portable mouse called Tracpoint (no, not the IBM Trackpoint) It has 3D gyroscopic sensors so it can work as a mouse or a presentation remote. Works over BT so compatible with any platform, and has software and app to map functions to movements. And it's smaller than an apricot (2.2 inches long), weighs in at 24 grams. When combined with a BT keyboard, it'd be a good writing platform for me.

Now, if only that darn wallet arrive soon... And it's almost end of October... I am expecting two more items.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just had an idea so simple I'm surprised why no one had created it yet.

A phone holder "extension" to hold a magnetic cable "in place", that when you dock the phone, the magnetic head automatically mates with the tip already on the phone. If I have a 3D printer I can probably whip up a prototype in a couple hours, or I'd just shave a piece of foam to make a prototype...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hentzau wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:53 am I have a pico projector I tried mounting above my table. I could never get it set up to where I liked it. The throw distance is important, because I couldn't get the maps small enough to fit on my table
There's an iLumee 4K projector on Kickstarter with throw ratio of 0.2 to 1. It claims it can project an image up to 100" diagonal only 4.3 inches from the wall. And it can work in as little as 1.2 inches from the wall, so it claims.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 am I just had an idea so simple I'm surprised why no one had created it yet.

A phone holder "extension" to hold a magnetic cable "in place", that when you dock the phone, the magnetic head automatically mates with the tip already on the phone. If I have a 3D printer I can probably whip up a prototype in a couple hours, or I'd just shave a piece of foam to make a prototype...
Something like: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ew ... le-magneti
Or: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/71 ... ver-need-0
Or: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70 ... harging-ex
Or: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... pe-c-cable

:)

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't read it closely enough. You aren't interested in the charging cable itself. You want a holder that holds the charging cable in place? Then you just "dock" your device and it automatically attaches to the cable?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:My gigantic box of Street Masters stuff has shipped. Should be here by Tuesday of next week. More than a few folks are reporting that the Aftershock Stretch Goal box is missing from their shipment, but it's listed as being in my order. So hopefully I won't have to send an email to their customer service about a missing item.
Just got a notice that my box with all the goodies will be arriving next Thursday. I think my wife will be out of town that day which is good. Even though she doesn't give me a hard time about those mysterious brown boxes that arrive every so often with a new board game I think a box that weighs as much as a small child may elicit some reaction...
Black lives matter!

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:45 am Edit: Nevermind. I didn't read it closely enough. You aren't interested in the charging cable itself. You want a holder that holds the charging cable in place? Then you just "dock" your device and it automatically attaches to the cable?
Yep. It'd be just a piece of plastic. I can market it separately, or as a new phone dock that comes with these magnetic cables.

It'd be easy to copy though. *sigh*

I can probably whip up a prototype with a plier and some butterfly paperclips. The idea is not that complicated.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:07 am
hepcat wrote:My gigantic box of Street Masters stuff has shipped. Should be here by Tuesday of next week. More than a few folks are reporting that the Aftershock Stretch Goal box is missing from their shipment, but it's listed as being in my order. So hopefully I won't have to send an email to their customer service about a missing item.
Just got a notice that my box with all the goodies will be arriving next Thursday. I think my wife will be out of town that day which is good. Even though she doesn't give me a hard time about those mysterious brown boxes that arrive every so often with a new board game I think a box that weighs as much as a small child may elicit some reaction...
Did you go with the super street master tier (includes streetmaster core and the aftershock expansion with all stretch rewards)? 33 pounds and 6 bloody boxes?
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:07 am
Did you go with the super street master tier (includes streetmaster core and the aftershock expansion with all stretch rewards)? 33 pounds and 6 bloody boxes?
Since I didn't have the Street Masters core set I had "no choice" but to go all in!
Black lives matter!

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife was there when Ogre Deluxe was delivered. She still wants to put legs on the box and use it as a coffee table.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zarathud wrote:My wife was there when Ogre Deluxe was delivered. She still wants to put legs on the box and use it as a coffee table.
Small children could use the box and pretend they were an Ogre!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wish someone in the Chicago area owned Ogre so I could try it. :(
Covfefe!