OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by hepcat »

I'm two thirds of the way through the first scenario (I think) and I'm doing quite badly. So I'm glad to hear it's a difficult game. That means I'm probably not doing something glaringly wrong.

I really do enjoy it, don't get me wrong. And I don't regret the purchase one bit. But it is quite similar to the two games I mentioned, so unless you really love Lovecraft (as I do), if you own either of those games it may not be worth it otherwise.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My Kickstarter expansions (and new box!) for NEMO'S WAR arrived today.

The first expansion, BOLD & CARING adds two new motives with new rules - Adventure, and Humanist. The Adventure motive adds some changes to Lull Turns and adds new Adventure tokens that can be explored. The Humanist motive is a non-combat motive that allows you to engage with warships by parlaying and attempting diplomatic relations. Both motives also add new upgrade cards to the Nautilus.

The second expansion is called DRAMATIS PERSONAE and adds a new finale as well as new Adventure cards.

Finally, there was a Holiday promo card pack included which replaces one Adventure card with a Nemo in a Santa hat version, and adds a new Christmas-themed Event card to the Adventure deck.

I also sprung for the new box and insert which is designed to hold these and future expansions a little better. They ditched the small rectangle shape of the 2nd reprint and went with a larger square box with more slots. While it's still not great in terms of organization (they more or less just give you a bunch of bins and leave it up to you how best to fill them), it's definitely better than the original.

Despite me literally having NEVER won this game, it's still in my Top 5 - maybe my Top 3 solo games. I love the theme, the depth, and how it is so mechanically different from any other game in my collection. Definitely looking forward to diving back into it (pun intended) when I get back from GenCon.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in; I picked up Mistfall: Heart of the Mists for $10 bucks thanks to Hepcat mentioning it being on sale. Trying to learn the game by running through the first quest and so far I am getting a very Pathfinder ACG feel, which is fine since I enjoy that game. However I am unclear on a couple of rules so far and was looking for clarification.

During the hero draw phase if your deck is exhausted before you reach 5 cards do you reshuffle your discard pile or just draw less cards?

If you wind up having to do a second round in the same active encounter, i.e. you don' t meet the encounter objective or kill all the initial enemies in one round, do you draw the number of reinforcement enemies + number of enemies written on the encounter card or just the reinforcement enemies?

When drawing the starting enemies the encounter card typically has an enemy type restriction, i.e. only draw Fiend cards and discard the rest, do you adhere to the same restriction when drawing reinforcement enemies or can they be of any enemy type?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tao wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:04 am During the hero draw phase if your deck is exhausted before you reach 5 cards do you reshuffle your discard pile or just draw less cards?
Draw less cards. Healing (using Restoration points from cards, locations, etc.) allows you to do one of two things: move a card from your burial to your discard pile, or from your discard pile to the bottom of your deck. You can even mix and match, using 2 restoration points to move a card from your burial to your discard, and then that same card from your discard pile to the bottom of your deck. Your deck is your health in this game, so managing it carefully is a big part of the game play. When you take damage, you first try to block it using cards/powers, then any unblocked damage is dealt to you by moving cards from your hand, discard pile or top of your draw deck (NOT your Hero area unless you have a power or card that lets you do so) to your burial pile until you've met that damage number on a 1 to 1 basis in spent cards.

You're dead when you can't bury a card after taking damage (i.e. all your cards are in your burial pile or Hero area when it comes time to bury a card due to an unblocked wound).
If you wind up having to do a second round in the same active encounter, i.e. you don' t meet the encounter objective or kill all the initial enemies in one round, do you draw the number of reinforcement enemies + number of enemies written on the encounter card or just the reinforcement enemies?
You draw the number of reinforcements on the active encounter card AND a number of enemies equal to the reinforcement track...but you then reset the reinforcement track back to zero (even if no enemies were drawn).
When drawing the starting enemies the encounter card typically has an enemy type restriction, i.e. only draw Fiend cards and discard the rest, do you adhere to the same restriction when drawing reinforcement enemies or can they be of any enemy type?
Always adhere to the enemy type restriction. Draw enemies until you get the right type called for by the encounter, discarding all the rest. There are a TON of enemy cards in the game, so you won't recycle decks that quickly.

There's about four, one page, double sided player aids in Heart of the Mists that are really great. Read the rulebook once, and then just refer to those player aids from that point forward. All you need is on those aids.
Covfefe!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thanks for the clarifications Hepcat. My assumptions about the rules were correct but I wanted to double check. I did read through the rule book several times while trying to figure this out and even checked some online resources. I do plan to watch a play through video, found one that seems pretty good, it was just a bit too late to start last night. Thanks again.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if you're a member at BGG, but there are really good resources available in the files section for this game. They didn't help me like it, but the were invaluable in helping me try to learn.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tao wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 am Thanks for the clarifications Hepcat. My assumptions about the rules were correct but I wanted to double check. I did read through the rule book several times while trying to figure this out and even checked some online resources. I do plan to watch a play through video, found one that seems pretty good, it was just a bit too late to start last night. Thanks again.
The game has a definite learning curve. I can see why it turns some off, but I love it. Trying to figure out how the different characters play was/is fun for me.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My copy of SET A WATCH (Deluxe) came in today. It was an impulse buy at GenCon - the booth was giving out free 2-day shipping promo codes for anyone who wanted to order online and not have to ship/carry it back, so I took full advantage.

I knew next to nothing about this game other than the most high-level concept and that I had seen it mentioned by hep and on a couple of hotly anticipated at GenCon lists.

I'm happy to say that I REALLY like this game, and it's not a surprise since it's sooo puzzly. I'm an engineer (computer systems, not train) in real life, so figuring out the most efficient way to use a bunch of actions is completely in my wheelhouse. Add in dice rolling and figuring out how to best mitigate bad luck, and this is right up my alley.

Love the theme, love the choices, and most of all I love the small package. I can see myself bringing this along on trips to play whenever I have some downtime. I've got a couple of other small solo games designed to fit that niche, but none of them have ever really grabbed me. I've seen some mixed thoughts on this one, and maybe some flaws will become apparent after I've played it a bunch, but for now it exceeded expectations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I backed the Kickstarter and really enjoy it. The only downside is the rule book kind of sucks. For example, they ask you to create a deck...then 3 pages later, tell you that there are cards you don’t use when creating a deck. :x

Other than a rules rewrite being needed, it’s a solid game.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wasn't at GenCon, but I did get a copy mailed to me in 2 days. :D I didn't back it as it didn't really look like something I'd be into, but really strong, positive previews and reviews had me order directly from them. I like the small form factor, but definitely need to watch some videos. As always, Youtube is invaluable.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:Other than a rules rewrite being needed, it’s a solid game.
Yeah the rulebook is pretty bad. I foolishly tried my first play going just by the book and got a couple of MAJOR rules completely wrong. The One-Stop Co-op Shop play through is terrific though, and cleared everything up for me. Rules-wise it's a very simple game, so it mystifies me how they could screw it up so badly. I guess they were counting on the lengthy play through example to clear everything up, but I always find those a chore to follow.

My copy of Space Cadets: Away Missions came in as well; not sure when I'll have the time to tackle that one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not sure if this is old news to some of you, but I just learned that Victory Point Games is essentially gone. Last August Alan Emrich (the founder) sold the business to Tabletop Tycoon with the promise that they’d keep the entire staff. And they did...until a few months ago. At which point everyone from VPG (including Emrich) was laid off. They’re keeping the Nemo’s War and Dawn of the Zeds licenses, but are letting all the wargame licenses go back to their makers, it sounds like.

Any future Nemo’s War and DoZ expansions or editions will not be at the hands of those who originally created them.

That sucks. :(
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought I commented on that here, but the last month or so has been a blur, so maybe I didn't. I did see it and was terribly sad to read it - seems like a really crappy way to end up. It also sounded like many of the games (where they don't revert to the creators) are likely going to just disappear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In less sad news, I set up a game of Dungeon Alliance with the first of the new adventure packs a little bit ago. This weekend I’m going to try to play through a solo campaign using all the new stuff. The new player mats are infinitely better than those crappy cardboard frames, I must say.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I met Alan at GenCon last year. He actually sold me Nemo's War - I had no clue who he was, thought he was just a hired demo guy. It wasn't until I got back home that I realized that he was not only the designer of Nemo's War 2nd Ed, but the freaking guy who coined the term "4x." :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was indeed really saddened at the news. Though I'm glad we at least got the new expansions and insert for Nemo before he left.
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:09 pm In less sad news, I set up a game of Dungeon Alliance with the first of the new adventure packs a little bit ago. This weekend I’m going to try to play through a solo campaign using all the new stuff. The new player mats are infinitely better than those crappy cardboard frames, I must say.
Is the new stuff just the four decks that came in the expansions? I briefly glanced over it but haven't even cracked the packs yet. I enjoy the game, however it has mixed reviews with the gaming group. I'd say its 50/50 among them. We still haven't played with quests, just the basic game without pvp.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s the 4 adventure packs that add stories to your plays, 4 new characters and the Titans enemy pack. Those last two I think were add ons though. But I could be wrong.

I love the game myself. It’s a little Mage Knight with true deck building and great solo rules.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, It think the titans were an add-on. I played it half a dozen times or so last year and then shelved it after the KS in anticipation of it shipping earlier this year. Always the optimist...Because I'm a NJ local, I was invited to pick the game up at a release party, but unfortunately I just couldn't make it. Would have been kinda cool to hang with the design team, but maybe next time. I absolutely love the game and I'm hoping the neoprene mat fixes my biggest gripe - that damn cardboard frame of chaos. I love the puzzle like nature of game play and I was excited at the idea of having quests. I think it's an underrated gem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don’t forget the base game has quests already. They’re the only way I’ll play solo at this point. The adventure packs add a rather large amount of backstory to your play throughs. You mix story cards from one adventure pack into your upgrade deck and then you have the choice to purchase them as they appear, instead of buying the regular stuff. When you buy one of the story cards it will normally have you pull a card from the adventure deck’s campaign cards, which adds the backstory and a choice or three.

I’m going to try a 4 game campaign this weekend, I think. On the last one, I may go for the final boss variant. Maybe even use a titan. But man, the game just has so many damn options with all the stuff Park has added.

...and I bought all of the neoprene mats because I’m a completionist for games I love. :oops: So far I’m lovin’ ‘em.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That and you love smelly mats.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't deny I love me some smelly neoprene mats, that's true enough. But I only like mats that actually serve a purpose for a game. The mats that are just giant mouse pads with images you'd see on a muscle van from the 70's still strike me as useless. My mats must have clearly labeled frames for cards (or, in this case, for map tiles)!
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Mats are definitely something I like. Though I've been pretty good at resisting the lure. Mostly. I did get the ones for Gloomhaven. And I added the ones for Machina Arcana to my pledge. I mean, they made them so that they all fit together when playing. How was I supposed to resist that?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I do love a mat. A well-designed template mat (with frames, etc) can turn a game around.

That said, I also love large, simple mats. They turn any table into a usable gaming surface, stopping components from sliding around, making it easy to pick up cards. They're hard to find, though. Most mats have absurd, over-the-top art cluttering them up. I don't want a wall hanging, I want a gaming mat! Too often the art overpowers the card art, or the chaotic designs actually make it harder to keep track of what is where. It's really hard to find decently sized, aesthetically pleasing mats that aren't explosions of chromatic chaos. I tried to find a simple starfield for sci-fi games, for instance. Everything technicolor spaceships battling it out in front of neon nebulas or something similar.

I'd like to find a line of generic gaming mats that go for simple surfaces with muted colors and limited geometry: Rustic Wood Table. Cobblestone Wall. Old Brushed Metal. Simple Starfield. Computer Console. Rusted Scrap.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I rely on mats because the folding table I use for gaming has that thin fake wood veneer. Any card laid on top of that stuff becomes instantly impossible to pick up without gouging it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For my full sized table I use yoga mats. I picked up two of them, laid them on the table side-by-side, then got underneath and used a marker to trace the edges of the table onto the mat. Two minutes with an x-acto knife and I have I have a reversible, custom-made mat for my 6x4 table with rounded corners that's lasted me 5 years with no sign of wear, all for $30. And it works perfectly. It 'holds' better than the neoprene mats, preventing components from moving, and is even easier to pick cards up from. The only downside is that you can't really slide components around on it like you can with neoprene, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes inconvenient.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The yoga mats in use. The kids and some friends in both shots. Specter Ops and King of Tokyo in play.
Spoiler:

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:19 pm The yoga mats in use. The kids and some friends in both shots. Specter Ops and King of Tokyo in play.
Spoiler:

Pardon my curiosity, but what's the significance of the St. George's Cross and Union Jack you have on display in the background?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trophies from his last kill?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:53 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:19 pm The yoga mats in use. The kids and some friends in both shots. Specter Ops and King of Tokyo in play.
Spoiler:

Pardon my curiosity, but what's the significance of the St. George's Cross and Union Jack you have on display in the background?
The family has significant (90%+) English/British ancestry.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tried to play a campaign of Dungeon Alliance with all the new stuff Friday night/Saturday afternoon. I successfully completed the first game, but couldn't get the necessary campaign points to finish the second. The new Adventure Packs are a lot of fun. Just choose one of the four and add its level 1 and level 2 story cards to the upgrade cards you normally use. Then you have the option to buy them with XP instead of the standard upgrades. They in turn lead to other cards you pull from the AP deck. These could result in a new way to gain campaign points, some new equipment, or just some interesting fluff that pays off later (or not...depending on what you do). I honestly don't think I'll play this solo without the campaign and AP sets. You do need to play with the quests in order to give you other ways to accumulate campaign points, but I always play with quests anyway. One thing I didn't realize you could do is actually buy progress for a quest with XP. This helps enormously as before you weren't always sure you'd get the right upgrade cards or monsters in order to fulfill the requirements for a quest to trigger it. But with that simple rule, you always have an option besides pure luck.

Then I tried two games of Untold Legends. I do have both novice sets now, so I combined the talent cards in order to create my own characters...then promptly lost both games. The biggest problems I had were that I'm too hesitant to use the talent cards during a battle, and I was rolling legendarily bad dice. The game can be absolutely brutal though if you don't play your cards right. I think for my next game(s), I'm going to concentrate on building characters who aren't as laser focused on skill tests and more battle ready, as both my losses were due to a baddie running roughshod over my characters after some truly shitty rolls. Overall I enjoyed the games though. I can see some real promise for this game if they just keep going with it. Higher level talents, weapons, loot and gear would definitely be appreciated.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thoughts on Hoplomachus? Someone in my area is selling like-new copies of The Lost Cities + Rise of Rome for $100, which is a pretty substantial discount off the list price.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For Solo I thought Origins was the title to own (and I do), but I don't have any practical experience with it or the other two. But you're right - that discount is enough to give pause.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't know anything about the other versions/expansions, but I own Lost Cities and I love it. If you like tactical strategy it's a blast, and of course the fantastic Chip Theory components are a big selling point as well.

I actually think it works *better* as a solo game than anything else. I love the puzzle aspect that arises from the AI, which is really elegantly implemented.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Found myself obsessively playing Aeon's End: New Age all weekend. I'm going through the expedition mode that comes with the New Age core game. I've got the Into the Wilds expansion too from the kickstarter too, but I'll get to that later.

I lost my first two battles against the intro nemesis, but I chalked the first loss up to a learning game and made the next two official. :wink:

I love this mini Legacy version found in the expedition mode. It's gimmicky, sure. And to play it more than once, you have to reset a bunch of things (although after one play, the surprises are all gone). But they do include rules for using expedition mode with all the prior content. The addition of treasure cards gives you the incentive to battle through the 4 bosses.

But at the end of the day, Aeon's End is still just plain fun. It's one of the rare games I'll back sight unseen on kickstarter the moment something shows up for it.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I attempted the second mission in SPACE CADETS: AWAY MISSIONS twice over the weekend and.....it ended badly. It's a notoriously difficult scenario. Hey designers, you should always follow up the tutorial mission with a seemingly unbeatable one, amirite? What sucked is that I completed the objectives extremely quickly (more quickly than I could expect to do again), and still lost due to getting overwhelmed. Doesn't bode well for the future. :shock:

Still, it's a fun little game. My co-worker and I have been thinking of making it our weekly lunch game when we get burned out on HORRIFIED.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Is Mage Knight persistent between play sessions or do you start fresh with each scenario? I am looking for a persistent game in the same vane as Pathfinder ACG or maybe Gloomhaven. Right now I have Sword and Sorcery and the new Pathfinder ACG Core Set on my radar but Mage Knight Ultimate Edition keeps popping up in searches.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No campaign for Mage Knight (that I know of...fans may have created one). So nothing carries over between scenarios.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Tao wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:25 pm Is Mage Knight persistent between play sessions or do you start fresh with each scenario? I am looking for a persistent game in the same vane as Pathfinder ACG or maybe Gloomhaven. Right now I have Sword and Sorcery and the new Pathfinder ACG Core Set on my radar but Mage Knight Ultimate Edition keeps popping up in searches.
Folklore: The Afflication? Though, come to think of it, it's dice based, not card based (a la Gloomhaven/Mage Knight). So you might not like it. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Tao wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:25 pm Is Mage Knight persistent between play sessions or do you start fresh with each scenario? I am looking for a persistent game in the same vane as Pathfinder ACG or maybe Gloomhaven. Right now I have Sword and Sorcery and the new Pathfinder ACG Core Set on my radar but Mage Knight Ultimate Edition keeps popping up in searches.
The 7th Continent ought to fit the bill and plays terrifically as a solo game. You can still pre-order the classic core game until Oct 15 via the Serious Poulp web store (though, if possible, I would also encourage anyone interested in the game to go all-in on the expansions and such to get the most out of it, as they're unlikely to ever be sold retail and reprints may be doubtful).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They announced not too long ago that classic 7th Continent core is actually getting a retail release.
Now, however, Serious Poulp has announced that it will release a retail version of the game into shops. The 7th Continent: Classic Edition will be a stripped-down version of the game compared to the Kickstarter edition, dropping everything considered non-essential: that means no plastic miniatures, cards added through stretch goals and expansions, or magnifying glass to help with spotting some of the cards’ visual Easter eggs and clues.

The Classic Edition will come with five (rather than seven) characters represented by cardboard standees, three (instead of four) curses, two storage trays (in place of three) and the 849 cards from the core game – 113 fewer than the Kickstarter edition. All of this means that the box will cost less in shops than on Kickstarter.
I’m looking forward to their dark fantasy themed follow up, myself. 7th Citadel.
Covfefe!