[FFG] Arkham Horror: Final Hour

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

[FFG] Arkham Horror: Final Hour

Post by Smoove_B »

Another one I didn't see coming at all:

Arkham Horror: Final Hour offers your investigators a fast-paced, fully cooperative Arkham Horror gaming experience that can be played in under 60 minutes. As an endless tide of monsters sweeps across the Miskatonic University campus, you must hold them back while searching desperately for the ritual components you need to put an end to the insanity. Your fate depends on the cooperation between you and your fellow investigators. The odds against you are astronomical, but if you fail, this will indeed be the final hour for Arkham… and the world.

But time is not your ally. You have only eight rounds in which to accomplish this task, each divided into two parts. First, your investigators use their actions to defeat monsters and uncover clues. Then, once all players have acted, the Ancient One strengthens its hold on the world, producing horrible effects and spawning more monsters through growing gates that litter the Miskatonic University campus. With each round, your task becomes more difficult as ever more monsters threaten to overpower your investigators and overrun the campus. Time is against you, and you must hurry to deduce the proper ritual components before your time runs out.
I guess this is for people that want an Arkham experience in 60 minutes or less but hate the dice rolling / randomness of Elder Sign?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wonderpug

Re: [FFG] Arkham Horror: Final Hour

Post by wonderpug »

Sounds fun but I’m a bit more cautious with FFG after Middle Earth and Outer Rim. It’s starting to seem like their games now need at least one or two expansions before they’re fully baked.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am 100% in agreement with you. Not sure what's changed - design team, product model, licensing, etc... but I haven't enjoyed my last few titles by them at all.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Outer Rim isn't good?
Black Lives Matter.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:51 pm Outer Rim isn't good?
It seems just ok to me so far, not bad, but after 3-4 solo games it feels like it's missing pieces. You see this event deck with card numbers like 1-75 and 400-500, and you can't help but thinking that whatever expansion that's going to fill in some of that 76-399 range is going to be just what the game needs.

It's hard to describe -- the overall gameplay and underlying rules seem like they have a lot of potential, it's just that I keep ending the game feeling like I didn't get to experience enough of the good parts.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd be all over this if I wasn't already planning on picking up the Arkham Horror 3rd Edition expansion and Mansions of Madness new expansion. There's only so much Cthulhu I can take. Watching some demos though, it does look really interesting mechanically, and I'm sure it's a lot of fun.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:44 pm There's only so much Cthulhu I can take.
It's like I don't even know you. :hand:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, if this was any other theme I'd completely disregard it, but that Cthulhu draw is strong. Plus, I have all those painted minis from the Mansions games - I'm sure the same characters will be appearing here as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They were selling it at Gencon, but once again I didn't feel like waiting for 37 hours to get into their damn booth. Otherwise I would've have probably bought it.
Covfefe!