Request on behalf of my daughter (it's a Go Fund me)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zenn7

Request on behalf of my daughter (it's a Go Fund me)

Post by Zenn7 »

From my daughter:

My daughter Lilly has some "ruff" mental health issues and is trying to get a service dog to help cope with her day-to-day struggles, if you would be so kind as to donate money to this link: https://www.supportful.com/lendapaw4lilly that would be so amazingly kind and even if you don't have the money just sharing the link makes a world of difference. Thank you!

That's her wording.

Like others here who have posted, this feels odd/awkward to post a request for donations, but it's my only real outlet to post something like this. I am not a particularly active poster here and fully understand people ignoring this post/request (I won't be offended in the slightest).

A little more background on the subject for anyone who cares though...

Aside from other highly stressful events in our household (I keep thinking about writing all that up just to write it down somewhere), found out last year after she graduated high school, my daughter suffers from an anxiety disorder. During her first year in college, they have unofficially determined she is a high functioning autistic (have not tested her because the feeling is she does not need any meds for that specifically, so the only value in testing would be to get the formal diagnosis, but this belief has been expressed by multiple therapists as well as several people who have experience with and have studied autism - she's got all the signs/symptoms). She has since been diagnosed with depression (which we just found out this week, she's actually bi-polar). She also suffers from an eating disorder (combination of anorexia and bulimia. Just spent the last 5-6 weeks in a php (partial hospitalization program) for that. Today was her last day in php, first round with a bi-polar med (depression meds failed, DNA testing helped reveal bi-polar disorder apparently).

She has a ESA (emotional support animal) - rabbit, that helped some last year. But she is looking to get an psychiatric service dog to help mental issues. Her therapists and psychiatrist all think this would be a good thing for her. She found someone in Cleveland, OH that trains dogs from puppies to be service dogs for people with mental issues. She has been in contacting with that person and is working out what this will take.

She is posting this through her Facebook and several other contacts as well.

Thank you for reading all of this!
Drazzil

Re: Request on behalf of my daughter (it's a Go Fund me)

Post by Drazzil »

My condolences on your family issues.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Am I reading that right that it costs $19,000 for a service dog???
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 pm Am I reading that right that it costs $19,000 for a service dog???
Based on a very cursory search; this seems to be about the cost.

OP: Have you thought about getting a grant for said dog?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 pm Am I reading that right that it costs $19,000 for a service dog???
No idea if blind/hearing service dogs cost that much (but I would assume it's something like that), but that was the closest place she could find that does psychiatric service dogs. It's $18,500 for the dog, the center she is using is very reputable and only uses purebred dogs from their breeders of choice to ensure temperament as well as months and months of extensive training in obedience and tasks and public training like no barking or pestering other animals. and $500 for supplies for the dog (apparently you are supposed to get extra stuff for service dogs - rain coat, some sort of foot gear, special harnesses and such, they need special patches that say "service dog, do not pet/ talk to or stare at" as well as a hands free leash because unlike a pet these dogs go everywhere and do everything with their handler even college classes when the handler has hands full of books and projects and whatnot. - they are expected to go with and be with you wherever you go unlike your standard household best friend, so they need stuff to help protect them from environment and ensure their reasonable comfort - things like hot pavement, extended cold weather, etc). She researched all this stuff to find out what kinds of things she needs to get.

This covers getting a breeder dog that would have an appropriate temperament (the trainer has already gotten some feedback on my daughter's needs and made some suggestions - such as a bigger dog would not work well for her needs), behavior training (service dogs have to have above average behavior training to just be there, patient, not react to a lot of everyday things that would cause most dogs to bark/chase/whatever), and then there's the actual training to help with psychiatric issues.

You could pick out your own dog and get it trained, would be cheaper but generally less effective (sometimes extremely ineffective; especially if you have no knowledge/skills about dog training or suitable dogs).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 pm My condolences on your family issues.
Thank you Draz. I have read your extended post, congrats on your successes with your issues, hope Seattle is a better place for you.
Drazzil wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:13 pm OP: Have you thought about getting a grant for said dog?
They have grants for these things??? We will definitely look into that.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Good luck!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 pmGood luck!
Thanks AWS.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 pm My condolences on your family issues.
Thank you Draz. I have read your extended post, congrats on your successes with your issues, hope Seattle is a better place for you.
Drazzil wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:13 pm OP: Have you thought about getting a grant for said dog?
They have grants for these things??? We will definitely look into that.
Yes, yes they do. Or the article that I read up on the cost of the dog said they did. Another avenue (depending on your insurance plan) might be to ask your carrier to pay for some or all of the animal. Best of luck Zenn.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Donated and tweeted the link. Its not much but hope it helps. Good luck to your daughter.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 pm Donated and tweeted the link. Its not much but hope it helps. Good luck to your daughter.
Geez man, you ain't got 2 nickels to rub together! I really appreciate it but please don't donate if you can't afford it. Would feel terrible thinking you skipped a meal for this.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I can't chip in, but I shared on FB and the Twitterverse. Hopefully that helps down the line.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 pm From my daughter:

My daughter Lilly has some "ruff" mental health issues and is trying to get a service dog to help cope with her day-to-day struggles, if you would be so kind as to donate money to this link: https://www.supportful.com/lendapaw4lilly that would be so amazingly kind and even if you don't have the money just sharing the link makes a world of difference. Thank you!

That's her wording.

Like others here who have posted, this feels odd/awkward to post a request for donations, but it's my only real outlet to post something like this. I am not a particularly active poster here and fully understand people ignoring this post/request (I won't be offended in the slightest).

A little more background on the subject for anyone who cares though...

Aside from other highly stressful events in our household (I keep thinking about writing all that up just to write it down somewhere), found out last year after she graduated high school, my daughter suffers from an anxiety disorder. During her first year in college, they have unofficially determined she is a high functioning autistic (have not tested her because the feeling is she does not need any meds for that specifically, so the only value in testing would be to get the formal diagnosis, but this belief has been expressed by multiple therapists as well as several people who have experience with and have studied autism - she's got all the signs/symptoms). She has since been diagnosed with depression (which we just found out this week, she's actually bi-polar). She also suffers from an eating disorder (combination of anorexia and bulimia. Just spent the last 5-6 weeks in a php (partial hospitalization program) for that. Today was her last day in php, first round with a bi-polar med (depression meds failed, DNA testing helped reveal bi-polar disorder apparently).

She has a ESA (emotional support animal) - rabbit, that helped some last year. But she is looking to get an psychiatric service dog to help mental issues. Her therapists and psychiatrist all think this would be a good thing for her. She found someone in Cleveland, OH that trains dogs from puppies to be service dogs for people with mental issues. She has been in contacting with that person and is working out what this will take.

She is posting this through her Facebook and several other contacts as well.

Thank you for reading all of this!
Does supportful require you to meet the goal before you collect the whole sum or do you just get whatever you collect? The only reason why I ask is you may want to look into getting the insurance to get it for you or get a grant to cover it. Fundraising a 19000 dollar amount may be a stretch.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Kelric wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:35 am I can't chip in, but I shared on FB and the Twitterverse. Hopefully that helps down the line.
Thanks Kelric. Can't hurt!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 am Does supportful require you to meet the goal before you collect the whole sum or do you just get whatever you collect? The only reason why I ask is you may want to look into getting the insurance to get it for you or get a grant to cover it. Fundraising a 19000 dollar amount may be a stretch.
Not 100% sure she can take money out whenever, but she can change the amount of the donation requested whenever, so if she say, got a $5,000 grant, she could change it down to $14,000.

Insurance - thought I'd checked before, but checked again just to be sure, no help. Though my division is being sold to a different company soon (and we are not expecting to become unemployed by this, though one never knows for sure), so I am going to have different insurance sometime later this year, that could change.

Grants - we looked into this, but all the grants we found were either for the people doing the training or for specific people/groups (like vets, blind people, etc), none of which include her.

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback. First time trying to do anything like this, some things (like the grants) we just did not think of.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:28 pm
No idea if blind/hearing service dogs cost that much (but I would assume it's something like that), but that was the closest place she could find that does psychiatric service dogs. It's $18,500 for the dog, the center she is using is very reputable and only uses purebred dogs from their breeders of choice to ensure temperament as well as months and months of extensive training in obedience and tasks and public training like no barking or pestering other animals. and $500 for supplies for the dog (apparently you are supposed to get extra stuff for service dogs - rain coat, some sort of foot gear, special harnesses and such, they need special patches that say "service dog, do not pet/ talk to or stare at" as well as a hands free leash because unlike a pet these dogs go everywhere and do everything with their handler even college classes when the handler has hands full of books and projects and whatnot. - they are expected to go with and be with you wherever you go unlike your standard household best friend, so they need stuff to help protect them from environment and ensure their reasonable comfort - things like hot pavement, extended cold weather, etc). She researched all this stuff to find out what kinds of things she needs to get.

This covers getting a breeder dog that would have an appropriate temperament (the trainer has already gotten some feedback on my daughter's needs and made some suggestions - such as a bigger dog would not work well for her needs), behavior training (service dogs have to have above average behavior training to just be there, patient, not react to a lot of everyday things that would cause most dogs to bark/chase/whatever), and then there's the actual training to help with psychiatric issues.

You could pick out your own dog and get it trained, would be cheaper but generally less effective (sometimes extremely ineffective; especially if you have no knowledge/skills about dog training or suitable dogs).
Go back to the center that you are thinking of getting the dog from and ask if they know any foundations, groups or individuals who may help pay for this in your daughters case. Thats all I got right now. I'll keep thinking if this issue though.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 am Does supportful require you to meet the goal before you collect the whole sum or do you just get whatever you collect? The only reason why I ask is you may want to look into getting the insurance to get it for you or get a grant to cover it. Fundraising a 19000 dollar amount may be a stretch.
Not 100% sure she can take money out whenever, but she can change the amount of the donation requested whenever, so if she say, got a $5,000 grant, she could change it down to $14,000.

Insurance - thought I'd checked before, but checked again just to be sure, no help. Though my division is being sold to a different company soon (and we are not expecting to become unemployed by this, though one never knows for sure), so I am going to have different insurance sometime later this year, that could change.

Grants - we looked into this, but all the grants we found were either for the people doing the training or for specific people/groups (like vets, blind people, etc), none of which include her.

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback. First time trying to do anything like this, some things (like the grants) we just did not think of.
Hrmm... You know one of the Kardashians paid for a felons apartment deposit (first, last and application fees) because he was homeless and just *asked* her. Are you a regular fan of a rich celeberty? Been in contact and shared more then a few lines with said celeberty? Go ahead and ask. Worst they can say is no. Is anything your daughter does newsworthy? Try and get her on the news and ask for help.

Last idea is maybe if she requires the dog to stay calm and work, MAYBE the state DoR might pay for it. They HATE to spring for the big ticket items and has gotten much stricter in the last ten years with what they pay for but if you can PROVE that she *needs* the dog to work she might get it, but be ready for an appeals process. It might take like years to get them to roll over... If they do. They prolly wont, but hope springs eternal.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Famous people - no one who can pay for it, but she's reaching out to some you-tubers she follows and I think a band or two that she knows (not anyone big), to help get the word out.

She doesn't work currently, the dog needs to stay calm while she's taking the dog to classes and around doing whatever and when she does eventually graduate and go work. Since she's only in college, that does not seem like a viable avenue. What is the DoR?

She's talked to the person she's looking to get the dog from, joined a facebook group that helps people get service dogs (including suggestions about how to get the money I think) and getting all their feedback.

Putting up some flyers in local business's that include a code you can scan with your phone (that's kinda cool, don't know that I've seen that for something like this).
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:17 pm Famous people - no one who can pay for it, but she's reaching out to some you-tubers she follows and I think a band or two that she knows (not anyone big), to help get the word out.

She doesn't work currently, the dog needs to stay calm while she's taking the dog to classes and around doing whatever and when she does eventually graduate and go work. Since she's only in college, that does not seem like a viable avenue. What is the DoR?

She's talked to the person she's looking to get the dog from, joined a facebook group that helps people get service dogs (including suggestions about how to get the money I think) and getting all their feedback.

Putting up some flyers in local business's that include a code you can scan with your phone (that's kinda cool, don't know that I've seen that for something like this).
Department of Rehab. Its a state agency that gets a federal grant to help people find jobs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:20 am Department of Rehab. Its a state agency that gets a federal grant to help people find jobs.
That's a California term. Kind of like if I told you to go to VR (the Indiana equivalent), or to visit the BMV.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:35 am
Drazzil wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:20 am Department of Rehab. Its a state agency that gets a federal grant to help people find jobs.
That's a California term. Kind of like if I told you to go to VR (the Indiana equivalent), or to visit the BMV.
Huh. Thanks for the info Hawk!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Thanks BH.

I guessed it must be something like that. Wife's from WI, they have the DMV (Department of Motorized Vehicles). In MI, we just go to the Secretary of State office for license/registration/vehicle stuff. Every state is different I guess.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

First - thank you again to those who have donated! Greatly appreciated!

Second - an update - kid found a new place in Oklahoma that uses shelter/rescue dogs and will train them. Non-profit. Only $6500 and she can get $2,000 in scholarships (that's the word she used, not me) so only needs $4,500 for the dog (and $500 for dog supplies). She'll have to spend 4 days there, but we have relatives on wife's side who live 1.5-2 hours away where we can stay (they would love to have us come and visit, not normally a thing I would consider given the location and that we usually visit her dad when we go out of state vacation, but given the cause, seems like it would be the way to go).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Update:

A few of you donated to this (thank you very much!), and have likely noticed the money has been taken out? (Withdrawn? whatever it is called when the recipient takes the money out).

We ended up never getting any traction with the go fund me thing (one relative was the only donor besides you folks). In the meantime, my daughter had more issues, things deteriorated, more diagnosed issues, and general downhill (back around Oct/Nov last year when I was asking questions about Chicago, that was for this).

We tried a puppy for xmas with the plan that she would train it to be a service dog. The puppy was $300 donation to the rescue organization we got it from - it had already had it's first set of shots. We expended a fair amount of money on supplies, toys, vet visit/next round of shots, etc, the kid pulled out the money from the go fund me thing to help pay for it.

After about a month of deteriorating situation (we are not dog people and a puppy was too much work and biting for us, ill-planned venture), we ended up having to give the rescue people the dog back.

Major bummer that it didn't work out, very cute puppy, german shephard/lab mix. Vet said he was very smart, would be good for training. And of course, kid falls in love with it on day 1, knows she needs to get rid of it at the end, but can't make herself do it. Still gets upset when she thinks about the puppy even though it's been 3 or so weeks now.

Kid is now looking to get on a wait list that takes 3-7 years for some charity (I don't remember the specific charity name) to get the dog.

Sorry for not posting this sooner, the puppy days were extremely stressful for the whole household and ended up causing more issues for the kid (still dealing with the fallout on that front).

I need to talk to her, think she probably should take that page down now.

Again, thank you very much to those who donated!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 am Update:

A few of you donated to this (thank you very much!), and have likely noticed the money has been taken out? (Withdrawn? whatever it is called when the recipient takes the money out).

We ended up never getting any traction with the go fund me thing (one relative was the only donor besides you folks). In the meantime, my daughter had more issues, things deteriorated, more diagnosed issues, and general downhill (back around Oct/Nov last year when I was asking questions about Chicago, that was for this).

We tried a puppy for xmas with the plan that she would train it to be a service dog. The puppy was $300 donation to the rescue organization we got it from - it had already had it's first set of shots. We expended a fair amount of money on supplies, toys, vet visit/next round of shots, etc, the kid pulled out the money from the go fund me thing to help pay for it.

After about a month of deteriorating situation (we are not dog people and a puppy was too much work and biting for us, ill-planned venture), we ended up having to give the rescue people the dog back.

Major bummer that it didn't work out, very cute puppy, german shephard/lab mix. Vet said he was very smart, would be good for training. And of course, kid falls in love with it on day 1, knows she needs to get rid of it at the end, but can't make herself do it. Still gets upset when she thinks about the puppy even though it's been 3 or so weeks now.

Kid is now looking to get on a wait list that takes 3-7 years for some charity (I don't remember the specific charity name) to get the dog.

Sorry for not posting this sooner, the puppy days were extremely stressful for the whole household and ended up causing more issues for the kid (still dealing with the fallout on that front).

I need to talk to her, think she probably should take that page down now.

Again, thank you very much to those who donated!
I'm so sorry. :(
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

That is too bad, Zenn. Sorry to hear that things have taken this turn. Good luck with everything.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Thanks Drazzil and Evilhomer.

If I post any more on this, I'll post it in a separate thread (don't want anyone to think we are still looking for money).