RPG Game Map Programs

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zarathud

RPG Game Map Programs

Post by Zarathud »

There seem to be all these map foldouts available for D&D settings and there are even graphic design programs for generating D&D dungeons. Anyone know of any easy to use graphic design programs for putting together futuristic maps for miniatures/RPG gaming?

I'm trying to generate a few decent-quality maps that can be used for the futuristic RPG Paranoia.

After two years at Origins, I know I have the ability and resources to run an awesome Paranoia game next year. For me, a key element in dealing with gamers you don't know is to visually show what's happening. I'd like to be able to generate something nice to laminate and toss down as a map for everyone -- that way I don't have to spend limited game time describing the environment and I can finally put to use my ever-growing futuristic miniature collection.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Steve Jackson used to sell one, something Cartography

Found it, Campaign Cartographer

These guys make Fractal Mapper (you can get it from rpgnow too)
There is no hug button. Sad!
Hemlock Bones

Post by Hemlock Bones »

Campaign Cartographer & stuff is well above my purchase point but Fractal Mapper looks cool and priced right for me. Anyone have any expericence with it?
marcusjm

Post by marcusjm »

There are some excellent freeware alternatives too. I just cant remember them but I think there's links in one of the bioware forums.

Marcus
XBOX LIVE gamertag DreamsurferSWE
XFire id dreamsurfer
Khoram

Post by Khoram »

marcusjm wrote:There are some excellent freeware alternatives too. I just cant remember them but I think there's links in one of the bioware forums.

Marcus
Try AutoRealm. It has most of the same feature set as Campaign Cartographer, but is free. I have both and I actually prefer AutoRealm, the interface is less cumbersome in my mind. Now, if I made my living off of making maps, maybe I would want or need some of the advanced stuff in CC. But for people like me, AR is fine and the price can't be beat.[/url]
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I have both CC2 and FM7 - I don't use either extensively beccuase I don't game as much as I'd like. Howver, FM is a lot cheaper and easier to use. I'm going to look into autorealm.
Redfive

Re: RPG Game Map Programs

Post by Redfive »

This might be my first thread necro--certainly the furthest back.

I wanted to share some love for a web based map making program I found last night while scrambling to prep. for my D&D session.

I've been needing a map for this particular city for awhile now but have never taken the time to get it done and last night the party was set to arrive there for a significant time between adventures. Cue the panic.

I found Inkarnate and within an hour I had put together a serviceable map for a large city.

If I decide to spend more time with it I could do a lot more but this worked for last night:

Enlarge Image
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hentzau

Re: RPG Game Map Programs

Post by hentzau »

That's pretty sweet.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire