[Film] Spider-Man: Far From Home - Jul 05, 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Spider-Man: Far From Home - Jul 05, 2019

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
[Jake] Gyllenhaal joined the cast as Mysterio in June 2018
This will place its release two months after the Infinity War sequel.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Re: [Film] Spider-Man: Far From Home - Jul 05, 2019

Post by Scuzz »

So kind of a spoiler if Spider man is around for this movie after the end of Infinity War 2.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Could be a prequel. :ninja:
docD

Post by docD »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:24 pm Could be a prequel. :ninja:
Or Miles Morales Spider man.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

docD wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:27 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:24 pm Could be a prequel. :ninja:
Or Miles Morales Spider man.
He's getting the animated treatment.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It is called "far from home". Maybe it's like a "the five people you meet in Heaven" kind of movie.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nah, it's just a school trip to Europe.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

In the MCU, every Spider-Man film must include the word "home" in its name. Future releases:

Spider-Man: Honey, I'm Home
Spider-Man: Home Fries Are Delicious
Spider-Man Hits a Home Run
Spider-Man: There's No Place Like Home
Spider-Man Meets Homer Simpson
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:03 pm Nah, it's just a school trip to Europe.
Maybe it's a prequel centered around the school trip that Peter Parker took just before the one where he got bit by a radioactive spider.
Black Lives Matter.
docD

Post by docD »

Spiderman: Home Alone
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

When the MCU time line gets reset, Peter wakes up on titan and has to road trip across the galaxy to get home.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

There are massive Avengers Endgame spoilers in the latest Far From Home trailer. Do not watch if you haven't seen Endgame.
Spoiler:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

New trailer is fantastic!
Spoiler:
Loved Nick Fury's "BITCH PLEASE" which was so unnecessary but hilarious.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

rittchard wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:04 pm New trailer is fantastic!
Spoiler:
and he left off: "you went toe to toe with Captain America, you came up with the plan to take down Giant Ant Man, you came up with the plan to blow Thanos's child out the airlock, and you fought a Titan"
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Spoiler:
I dunno, it just seemed gratuitous.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

whaaaa? Really no comments on Spider-Man????

I loved it, definitely one of the best Spidey films I can recall. Some of the action sequences were just fantastic, I'd be like whoa! and wow! and ohhh!! again and again. Lots of funny stuff and emotional content as well, just an all around nice conclusion to Phase 3 of the MCU films. Tom Holland is the best Spiderman we've seen in my book, though I feel a bit bad that he has to play so much younger when they could have just as easily found a way to let him play his real age. I read he had to deliberately try to get his voice to sound higher pitched as it did when he was earlier cast.
Spoiler:
The plotline was fairly clever/interesting, although not too much a surprise that Mysterio wasn't a good guy. Kind of a bummer as I enjoyed his scenes and chemistry with Jake Gyllenhal.

At first I kept bitching about why there were no other Avengers around, but they did a nice job of covering that in the after credits scene.

Speaking of which, what the heck is going on with the Skrulls??? Phase 4 should be a blast.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 am
Spoiler:
I dunno, it just seemed gratuitous.
Spoiler:
Maybe makes more sense now in context of the after credits scene? Or then again maybe not lol.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw last Wednesday and also loved it. And I agree that Holland is the clear winner in the best Peter Parker category. He just nails it in every way.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I also saw it Wednesday. I liked it - about as much as the first. I love Holland's portrayal as Spidey. In fact, I love the whole cast, but I LIKE these movies (a lot) whereas I LOVED the first two TM Spiderman movies. Part of my preference of the (first 2) TM movies lie in how mind blowingly awesome they were as the first real (viable) CGI superhero movies I had seen. I also enjoyed their stories a bit more than these 2 Spidey movies.

Note that I am not poo pooing either of these movies. They are great and light years better than the Garfield movie (I never bothered with the 2nd).

The first post credit scene is just AWESOME btw. Loved it with all of my cold black heart.
Spoiler:
I was actually finding Peter trying to keep his identity secret tedious over both of these movies. Literally noone else in the MCU has a secret identity so it just seems out of place here - even if it has been integral to all other iterations of Spiderman. So, I was THRILLED when they changed that in the first post credits scene. And of course the JKS appearance was just wonderful.

One of my minor gripes with both of these Spidey movies is I found myself wondering to myself after driving away from the theater: "Will Spiderman ever get a (solo) movie where he fights an actual super (powered) villain?" I liked both MK and JG in each movie, but I find it odd that in both cases they were normal, very smart guys with cool tech. I also thought the long exposition scene with JG and his fellow angry co-workers was tedious and somewhat unbelievable.

Still on the whole the movie was great. (PETER TINGLE~! is hilarious and awesome!) I just think the first 2 TM Spidey movies were greater. Still hope TH sticks around for many more as he's awesome. I think they would be wise to age him out of high school before his next solo movie.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Going tonight. Report back soon.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I do wonder that if the Tom Hardy version of Venom shows up in a Spider-Man film if Hardy won't totally overpower Holland on screen.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do think Spiderman 2 is still the best Spiderman film ever made. And McGuire is still a great Peter Parker. But Holland just captures the teen aspects of Parker so perfectly. I have to give him my vote in light of that.

As for Hardy's Venom showing up, I think Holland and Hardy could actually compliment each other, rather than overshadow one another.
Covfefe!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I really enjoyed the movie too. The family and I never got around to watching Homecoming until a couple weeks ago, so the back to back viewing was cool. I liked the TM Spiderman movies back in the day, but I'm liking Holland a little bit better. Boyish charisma? And I've enjoyed the villains in these two films. So glad they didn't recreate Green Goblin again. So tired of that. And I was pleasantly surprised at Mysterio - he's usually one of my least favorite characters from the mythos, but all of the mind trick/illusions really played well on the big screen (IMO). Not sure where they go after the post-credit scenes, but some interesting teases there.

I'm looking forward to what Marvel Studios announces at SDCC.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I really enjoyed it. As a lifelong spidey fan, I would've liked more smart remarks, but I do think he's a really good Peter Parker and Spider Man. I thought Zendaya did a great job also. I'm wondering if there's a spider-sense copyright somewhere, otherwise, why never mention it?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sitting in the theater now, waiting for the M&Ms to shut up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're off your meds again, aren't you?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just sic the JuJuBes on them.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This is my new favorite Spider-Man movie, even though it's far from perfect (pun unavoidable). The acting is great across the board, it's well written, and it has two of the better post-credit scenes in the MCU.
Spoiler:
The reveal of Fury being a Skrull makes so many little moments during the rest of the movie that much better. And the real Fury being in space clearly is setting up Phase 4.

But of course, the big mid-credit scene is Mysterio outing Peter as Spider-Man to the world, and introducing JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson (again). That just felt so right. It brought me back to the 90s cartoon that I grew up with, and obviously the old Raimi films.
This is the last film that was part of the original deal between Marvel and Sony, but it's clear they intend Spider-Man to remain a key part of the MCU moving forward. Marvel Studios have a big presentation at Comic Con in just a few days. I fully expect them to announce not only the lineup of movies over the next several years, but to say that they've extended their deal with Sony which would mean another 1-2 solo Spider-Man films plus another 1-2 appearances in team up movies. The big question I have is whether or not Sony will demand that Venom be brought into the MCU. I'm fine with Tom Holland being Spider-Man in the Venom films. That won't be MCU canon. But I really disliked their take on the character, and I hope Kevin Feige can resist allowing another studio to tamper with all of the great stuff they've got going on.

I also wouldn't be totally surprised with an agreement between Marvel and Universal that will allow them to use some of the Hulk's characters in exchange for another solo Hulk film. I think Universal has the rights to Namor, which a lot of people think/hope will be the antagonist for Black Panther 2.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh dear lord, a Namor appearance is right up there with my Paste Pot Pete fantasy project.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

IndieWire
The future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe beyond “Avengers: Endgame” remains a big question mark (outside of “Spider Man: Far From Home,” of course), but “Doctor Strange” director Scott Derrickson might have just accidentally made things clearer. In a since-deleted social media post, Derrickson posted a photo of a 2011 comic book cover featuring Doctor Strange and Namor, the Sub-Mariner. Derrickson wrote as a caption, “Are you Experienced?”

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has long wanted Namor to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is one reason Derrickson’s post is generating such strong buzz from MCU fans. The character is an underwater mutant that shares similarities to Aquaman, mainly super-strength and aquatic powers. In an interview with IGN in April 2018, Feige said getting the rights to Namor was complicated as film rights to the character were originally owned by Universal Pictures. The movie never got off the ground, but getting Namor in the MCU means negotiating with the producers who still own the rights.

“Let’s put it this way — there are entanglements that make it less easy,” Feige said at the time. “There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.”

The Namor situation mirrors the use of Bruce Banner/Hulk in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The reason Marvel has not made a solo Hulk movie starring Mark Ruffalo is because Universal still holds first rights to the character and must approve of any standalone Hulk film being released. Universal released the Edward Norton-starring “The Incredible Hulk” before Marvel was bought by Disney.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was listening to the Gilbert Gottfried podcast the other day and the guest was screenwriter Ron Friedman. He had worked with Stan Lee at Marvel back in the day, and was pals with a lot of the comic book greats. He mentioned in passing that the comic book makers of the early days of comics would tell their artists to base their characters on famous actors of the day in order to make them more acceptable to their audience (read: less ethnic). That's why Namor looks like Fred Astaire and Captain Marvel looked like Fred McMurray. Friedman even recalled showing Fred Astaire a Fantastic Four comic while working with him on a movie ages ago, and telling him that Namor was drawn to look like him.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

JCC wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 pm
Spoiler:
One of my minor gripes with both of these Spidey movies is I found myself wondering to myself after driving away from the theater: "Will Spiderman ever get a (solo) movie where he fights an actual super (powered) villain?" I liked both MK and JG in each movie, but I find it odd that in both cases they were normal, very smart guys with cool tech.
Spoiler:
If you look at Spider-Mans Rouges gallery, a lot of them are just guys in suits. some smart, some not so smart. Doc Ock, The Shocker, Electro, Kraven Green Goblin to an extent, Venom from a certain point of view, etc.. Yes there are some that I would consider super-powered somewhat, like the Lizard, but I think most are guys in suits.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I've never been much of a Namor fan, but if they put Dr Strange, Namor and Hulk together I would love it, cuz that will always be the real Defenders roster in my book. Oh yeah and let's not forget Valkyrie and Silver Surfer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How can you not like Namor!?! He has teensy little wings on his ankles...and they help him fly! I mean, he's pretty much half Disney, half Marvel!
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:33 pm How can you not like Namor!?! He has teensy little wings on his ankles...and they help him fly! I mean, he's pretty much half Disney, half Marvel!
LMAO! Well when you put it like that...

I guess it just bugged me he always seemed so dour and bitchy, but that worked perfectly in Defenders when he would bicker with Hulk.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Wouldn't surprise me if they brought him in as part of any Fantastic 4 movie. Doesn't he have a romantic interest in Sue Richards? Might make for a good anti-hero or heel-to-good-guy turn to face the "true threat".
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just got back with the family and we all loved it. A fantastic Spider-Man movie. Highly recommended.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Saw this last night and loved it. Easily my favorite teen romance/comedy movie ever :). Seriously, Marvel did a great job, and it is my favorite Spider-Man movie. But it can easily be seen as the genre movie I mentioned, just with a superhero in it. It’s very similar in that way to the Ant Man & Wasp movie which was a rom-com with superheroes. I was amazed at how truly funny Spider-Man was. Very much looking forward to what the future will be given the first credits scene.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hyena wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if they brought him in as part of any Fantastic 4 movie. Doesn't he have a romantic interest in Sue Richards? Might make for a good anti-hero or heel-to-good-guy turn to face the "true threat".
Well, just as Iron Man was the perfect 21st century hero with his technology emphasis , Namor could be a perfect antagonist with his focus on protecting the seas from environmental depredation.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just want them to stay true to the character and make Namor near Hulk level in strength. Oh, and he should remain an anti-hero. He was one of the first comic book heroes who could jump back and forth from hero to villain, depending on their mood.
Covfefe!