Board Games and the Great Outdoors?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Board Games and the Great Outdoors?

Post by coopasonic »

At last year's BGG.CON I ran into a guy I had gamed with and he told me about his new business...

https://gamersranch.com/

It's a space in the middle of nowhere in Missouri for up to 20 people to hang out and play games. He is a board game fanatic and offers up his collection for play and he will teach as well. He also has consoles and VR setups and ATV tours and other stuff. Cool concept. Bring allergy meds.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Re: Board Games and the Great Outdoors?

Post by hepcat »

I've heard of these kinds of places. One minute you're enjoying a nice game of Ticket to Ride, the next you're on a meathook in the barn awaiting dinner. :ninja:
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Good on him, if he's making money.

It would be nice to have enough money banked when I retire to set up a community center for gaming as a passion project with little regard to cost. It'll never happen but it's a nice dream. Making money off of people wanting leisure to game seems like a business model doomed to fail unless gaming is a feature cost of up business to support the real revenue.

The idea of a gaming resort sounds interesting. In the way back machine, I had wanted to open a cafe that catered to gaming loiterers. I think I could have made it work but I also think it would not have been a gold mine and eventually would have decided to work for the man anyway. Nowadays, cafes are everywhere and loitering is catered to not only in the cafes but in many other places where it was once shunned. It's justification for the $5+ coffee and $4 coffee cake, I guess.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm not sure he's too concerned with being profitable. He loves board games and this gives him an excuse to have a large collection and play lots of games... I'm not sure I get the living in the middle of Missouri part, but maybe that's just me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There was a camp in my general area (central PA maybe?) that was offering "Adult Summer Camp" sessions where you could do board games, have LAN parties and play RPGs pretty much non-stop for some scheduled week in June or July. It sounded like it could be fun, but also a situation where I could imagine being overloaded rather quickly. I've learned from going to our local convention here in NJ that after a while, I need to get the F away from the crowds for a little while; at some point it's just too much.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think I recognize one of the guys in the video on the main page; might have played a game or two with him at a local meet-up.

The ranch is actually not too far from me. Just need to find 19 other people to go in on it with me..
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wouldn't the wind scatter the cards and cardboard counters?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That’s some pretty country out there. But skeeters. Oh man, the skeeters.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am I've heard of these kinds of places. One minute you're enjoying a nice game of Ticket to Ride, the next you're on a meathook in the barn awaiting dinner. :ninja:
One star. Was murdered. Would not recommend.
Black Lives Matter.