Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Shutdown

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:29 pm Those would stop a caravan of tanks...from WW2.
Pah. Ask Rommel how it worked in Normandy!
He's not answering his phone for some reason.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Just thought I would share a little story with my personal experience with the shutdown.

Like most people, the shutdown did very little to actually change my daily life. But I have a very good friend who was deeply affected by it. We live in Maine, near a decent sized coast guard base. My friend is some kind of higher up officer at the base. The coast guard is the one branch of the military that doesn't get paid during shutdowns. So I was chatting with him during the shutdown and I thought the conversation was worth sharing.

I talked to him about how he was likely essential because he is a commander in the coast guard but that probably sucked since he wasn't getting paid. His response surprised me. He said that they are military, and when they put the uniform on they have agreed to protect the United States. The thought of wishing he was furloughed never seemed to cross his mind (which would have been my thought) because he had a duty to protect the country. He also explained how big of a challenge it was for leadership because so many of the younger members of the coast guard live pay check to pay check and struggle to get by. But he was grateful for the community coming together to help (there were a lot of food donations etc. set up to help the coast guard).

It's surprising if people cannot see the effects shutdowns have on others. My friend is just a really genuine guy, and he wasn't trying to look good in his comments to me, but I was impressed with his dedication to the uniform (his word choice) and his oath to protect our country. And yet they weren't getting paid despite their extremely hard work. I know from talking to him about his work that they are putting their lives at risk constantly, when we are hanging out he has been called in a time or two during big storms to save lobster boats etc. that are stranded. And yet... we weren't paying these people over a stupid wall. I loathe that we use funding as a weapon in our government with shutdowns always looming now.

I hope people out there that say things like "the country ran fine during shutdown" realize how naive that statement is and can somehow understand that it is people sacrificing that allowed the country to run relatively smoothly during the shutdown.

Anyways, the debate nationwide has settled down temporarily but... I thought I would share my experience.
Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks for sharing.

As for the conversation having calmed down, give it <checks calendar> about two weeks.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 pm Thanks for sharing.

As for the conversation having calmed down, give it <checks calendar> about two weeks.
I believe this Friday is the date they set as a deadline to come to a compromise. Not the final deadline but I predict it will no longer be quiet by the end of the week.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I think Trump should just play this tonight and then let the Dems respond.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That only works the way you obviously want it to if you're gullible enough to buy into Trump's attempt to portray the current opposition to a medieval wall across our southern border as tacit approval of illegal immigration. The fact of the matter is that the Dems want smarter border control that focuses on real issues and not made up stories that Trump scares you so badly with that you're checking under your bed every night for caravans.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Secret is out. Stimpy supports Wall.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am That only works the way you obviously want it to if you're gullible enough to buy into Trump's attempt to portray the current opposition to a medieval wall across our southern border as tacit approval of illegal immigration. The fact of the matter is that the Dems want smarter border control that focuses on real issues and not made up stories that Trump scares you so badly with that you're checking under your bed every night for caravans.
Then how come the Dems haven't been able to or been concerned enough to do shit about it in how many years that they were in control?
Feeble attempts and lip service is all they ever come up with.
Face it, it was never a big enough issue to them to fight for. But now? Now that there is someone in the WH willing to actually take a stand, right or wrong?
Now the Dems crawl back onto their soapbox and act like it's been a priority all along. Bullshit. They just don't want to "lose".
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 am Secret is out. Stimpy supports Wall.
Not really.
stimpy just doesn't support Politicians playing games and carrying on with business as usual.
For better or worse, to me it's just kinda refreshing to see someone try and stick to their campaign promises.
Most of the idiots that have been elected forget about them as soon as they take their slimy hands off the Bible so they can grab the money being waved in front of them.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am That only works the way you obviously want it to if you're gullible enough to buy into Trump's attempt to portray the current opposition to a medieval wall across our southern border as tacit approval of illegal immigration. The fact of the matter is that the Dems want smarter border control that focuses on real issues and not made up stories that Trump scares you so badly with that you're checking under your bed every night for caravans.
Then how come the Dems haven't been able to or been concerned enough to do shit about it in how many years that they were in control?
Feeble attempts and lip service is all they ever come up with.
Face it, it was never a big enough issue to them to fight for. But now? Now that there is someone in the WH willing to actually take a stand, right or wrong?
Now the Dems crawl back onto their soapbox and act like it's been a priority all along. Bullshit. They just don't want to "lose".
Oh rly?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 am
Because it wasn't a vanity project for them that took precedence over numerous other more important issues? Because they knew that statistics show there is no national crisis surrounding illegal immigration? Because the measures they've been pushing aren't based around 12th century science?

Choose any of the above. They're all true. :wink:
gilraen wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 am Oh rly?
FAKE NEWS!
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The argument that the Democrats don't care about immigration because there has been no deal is such absolute bullshit. Republicans have controlled Congress the past 6 years, and did nothing constructive.

Border control for immigration law changes has been a potential deal for decades. It's the "build a wall" wing of the Republican party who have repeatedly scuttled those deals. INCLUDING TRUMP LAST YEAR.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am
Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 am Secret is out. Stimpy supports Wall.
Not really.
stimpy just doesn't support Politicians playing games and carrying on with business as usual.
For better or worse, to me it's just kinda refreshing to see someone try and stick to their campaign promises.
Most of the idiots that have been elected forget about them as soon as they take their slimy hands off the Bible so they can grab the money being waved in front of them.
That is pretty damn disingenuous.
Just to be clear, you support Trump because he's actually interested in border security, FINALLY, and you've been waiting for someone to finally mean it... and Trump means it because: Wall

The CAMPAIGN PROMISE was that MEXICO would PAY FOR THE WALL.
Remember that part? The part that made it so awesome?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stimpy, your point has been rebutted repeatedly with verifiable facts and yet you doggedly stick to it and worse, keep repeating it.

What in particular do you find unconvincing about the multiple rebuttals that you believe ignoring them is warranted?

What has convinced you that this is about "stigginit" to the president? "Winning" Vs "losing" rather than reasonable border security?

Honestly, you're becoming a bit of a caricature at this point, although less so than the president of the united states somehow. Given some your other responses, I'm sure you don't care what we think and this is all our fault somehow.

Are you ever going to address the rebuttals?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's a fact that most of the bad stuff comes through the border at ports of entry or via tunnels. No one is carrying 1200 lbs of heroin across a river. Gang members aren't risking their lives trying to cross a desert when they can just pay for papers and pass through a checkpoint. Ditto for potential terrorists. The only ones who would be marginally inconvenienced by a wall are poor immigrants and asylum seekers. And certain animal species.

If poor huddled masses are now our top national security concern, either we have finally and simultaneously achieved world peace and erradication of illegal drugs or the is a one weak ass nation.

Bottom line, wall won't do shit. There are no two ways about it. Wall. Will. Not. Do. Shit.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:08 pm It's a fact that most of the bad stuff comes through the border at ports of entry or via tunnels. No one is carrying 1200 lbs of heroin across a river. Gang members aren't risking their lives trying to cross a desert when they can just pay for papers and pass through a checkpoint. Ditto for potential terrorists. The only ones who would be marginally inconvenienced by a wall are poor immigrants and asylum seekers. And certain animal species.

If poor huddled masses are now our top national security concern, either we have finally and simultaneously achieved world peace and erradication of illegal drugs or the is a one weak ass nation.

Bottom line, wall won't do shit. There are no two ways about it. Wall. Will. Not. Do. Shit.
I love how they've pulled terrorists into the mix. As if terrorists will come over from overseas and only come through Mexico. Are they afraid of boats or Canada?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am Stimpy, your point has been rebutted repeatedly with verifiable facts and yet you doggedly stick to it and worse, keep repeating it.

What in particular do you find unconvincing about the multiple rebuttals that you believe ignoring them is warranted?

What has convinced you that this is about "stigginit" to the president? "Winning" Vs "losing" rather than reasonable border security?

Honestly, you're becoming a bit of a caricature at this point, although less so than the president of the united states somehow. Given some your other responses, I'm sure you don't care what we think and this is all our fault somehow.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right and they're wrong.
Giving my opinion. Thats all. You can believe what you want. I'm really not for or against Trump. Just like I was neither for or against any of the previous Presidents. I just want someone.....anyone....to bust up the shit show that government has become.
So far Trump has rattled more cages than anyone in recent memory.
I'm okay with that.
The analogy I point to is right here at home.
Chicago politics are a f-ing disaster. But recently, one of the crooks got caught and started squealing like the pig he is.
It's great to watch the rest of the rats trying to jump ship and distance themselves from what were once, not that long ago, their allies.
I'm not happy it took so long to find a crack in the good ole boys network, or how it was obtained, but I'll be damned if it don't make me gleeful to see shit finally starting to happen to the life-long crooks. Same goes for Washington. Shake that shit up!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You know, that's great, but you do realize that there are actual people who spent a month without pay, right? Not like elected officials or anything, but real people. I guess as long as it doesn't hit you, it's all good, eh?
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pm I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right and they're wrong.
Giving my opinion. Thats all.
My opinion is that you're being obstinate with little rationale thought behind it, or at least none that you are willing to share with us to give reasoning to your opinion. That Chicago sucks is not a reason to burn the federal government to the ground over stupid shit.

Just my opinion. That's all.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am Stimpy, your point has been rebutted repeatedly with verifiable facts and yet you doggedly stick to it and worse, keep repeating it.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right and they're wrong.
Giving my opinion. Thats all. You can believe what you want. I'm really not for or against Trump. Just like I was neither for or against any of the previous Presidents. I just want someone.....anyone....to bust up the shit show that government has become.
I'm okay with that.
The analogy I point to is right here at home.
Chicago politics are a f-ing disaster. But recently, one of the crooks got caught and started squealing like the pig he is.
It's great to watch the rest of the rats trying to jump ship and distance themselves from what were once, not that long ago, their allies.
I'm not happy it took so long to find a crack in the good ole boys network, or how it was obtained, but I'll be damned if it don't make me gleeful to see shit finally starting to happen to the life-long crooks. Same goes for Washington. Shake that shit up!!!
Trump hasn't rattled cages so much as he's undermined the workings of the government to the benefit special interests. He's not busting up the shit show, he's just rebranding it with his name and taking as much as he can for himself.

Also, Madigan isn't going down so it's just a bunch of aldershits getting getting caught with hands in cookie jars. Burke is kind of a big fish but Madigan is the kingpin. And he's untouchable. I'd love to he wrong but it's not looking that way.

(As an aside, speaking of aldershits, Proco Joe recently had an interesting "stolen car" incident. He failed to pay his "date" for services and she took his car.)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:33 pm You know, that's great, but you do realize that there are actual people who spent a month without pay, right? Not like elected officials or anything, but real people. I guess as long as it doesn't hit you, it's all good, eh?
Of course I care. Nice try though. I just hope you felt the same empathy during the last 9 shutdowns. I know I have.
But laying it all at Trumps, or any 1 persons, feet is just not something I'm willing to do. Like it or not, when this stuff happens I blame both sides for acting like petulant children.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 pm My opinion is that you're being obstinate
I like to think of myself as more obtuse, but I'll take obstinate.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm okay with that.
Rattling cages is constructive in what way?

If I disagree with how you do business, is it constructive for me to come to your workplace and urinate on your copy machine? I mean, it will definitely rattle some cages, but beyond that, what constructive purpose has my yellow essence lent to my disagreement with you?
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm Of course I care. Nice try though. I just hope you felt the same empathy during the last 9 shutdowns. I know I have.
Why? Most of those shutdowns didn't result in any financial hardship whatsoever for employees. The ones that did resulted in less.

If you felt empathy for those others you should be losing your shit over this one. It's a) the longest shutdown in history. It's not even close. and b) it's for the stupidest reason of any shutdown in history. c) related to a), it has caused the most hardship, something you imply that you care about. Given your other comments here, I simply don't believe you. Based on the words you write on the forum, I think you're a liar.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:52 pm
I'm okay with that.
Rattling cages is constructive in what way?

If I disagree with how you do business, is it constructive for me to come to your workplace and urinate on your copy machine? I mean, it will definitely rattle some cages, but beyond that, what constructive purpose has my yellow essence lent to my disagreement with you?
It creates work for the copier repairman.
Job creation is number 1.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm Of course I care. Nice try though. I just hope you felt the same empathy during the last 9 shutdowns. I know I have.
Why? Most of those shutdowns didn't result in any financial hardship whatsoever for employees. The ones that did resulted in less.

If you felt empathy for those others you should be losing your shit over this one. It's a) the longest shutdown in history. It's not even close. and b) it's for the stupidest reason of any shutdown in history. c) related to a), it has caused the most hardship, something you imply that you care about. Given your other comments here, I simply don't believe you. Based on the words you write on the forum, I think you're a liar.
If I gave a shit at all, that would hurt.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm
It creates work for the copier repairman.
Job creation is number 1.
Jobs are meaningless without wealth creation. By your rationale, burning the country to the ground is the best job creation program ever.

Listen, if you're not going to try to defend your position with anything other how you "feel about things" then what's the point? Your emotions only matter to you. That you're pissed off and glad the world is burning is a mental problem. I'm dead serious.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Dude.......it's okay.
Why you are taking this so personally is beyond me.
I'm not going to defend myself to you.
Get over it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm If I gave a shit at all, that would hurt.
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am I'm sure you don't care what we think and this is all our fault somehow.
It's not supposed to hurt. It's supposed to inform you that I know you are a liar. That's it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm If I gave a shit at all <snip>
Now that sounds a little more honest.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm If I gave a shit at all, that would hurt.
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am I'm sure you don't care what we think and this is all our fault somehow.
It's not supposed to hurt. It's supposed to inform you that I know you are a liar. That's it.
How will I ever sleep tonight?????
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm I'm not going to defend myself to you.
Of course not. Having a shitty opinion for shitty reasons is hardly worth defending. I get it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 pm How will I ever sleep tonight?????
You're missing the point. It's not about hurting you. I already understand that you don't give a shit about what we think. You can stop saying. I get it. You're a rock.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:05 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 pm How will I ever sleep tonight?????
You're missing the point. It's not about hurting you. I already understand that you don't give a shit about what we think. You can stop saying. I get it. You're a rock.
I'll stop saying it when you stop making me say it. Seems like you're the one who aint getting it.
You know I don't care, so why keep pointing it out?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pmGiving my opinion.
Why aren't you concerned with whether or not your opinion is correct or false?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm Dude.......it's okay.
Why you are taking this so personally is beyond me.
I don't think he's taking it personally and you are reading emotion into his replies that isn't there.

You came to a public forum to share your opinion. So that it was heard and recorded, I assume. You've been replied to and now cry out that you don't want to defend yourself and that he's freaking out?
Why share your opinion if you are just going to pretend that you don't care about how it was taken? Why share your opinion if you don't care about it's message to the audience you share it with? What the hell is the point?

And why not engage in a little back-n-forth and see if your position is rational or not? Refuse to do it, or just can't do it?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm Of course I care. Nice try though.
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm You know I don't care, so why keep pointing it out?

which is it?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

You guys remind me of this:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:09 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm Of course I care. Nice try though.
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm You know I don't care, so why keep pointing it out?

which is it?
I care about people hurt by the shutdown.
I don't care about GGs opinion of my opinion.
K?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pmGiving my opinion.
Why aren't you concerned with whether or not your opinion is correct or false?
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion
He/Him/His/Porcupine