DinoGenics board game

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

LordMortis

Re: DinoGenics board game

Post by LordMortis »

It's probably just me but either you or your billing web page should warn me that my shipping costs are going so show up as a bill from ninthhaven dot com or have the word games somewhere in your CC invoicing name as a gentle reminder. I about freaked out looking at my credit statement this morning until I thought back to filling out that form on Friday. What you did is probably par for the course and I'm just old, but it still freaked me out.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty new to the whole collecting payments from people thing and CrowdOx and Stripe is handling most of the back-end stuff because I find it terrifying. :lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was completely broke when this happened, so I wasn't able to back it. As it happens, though, I had been putting money back for something else when I heard you'd temporarily reopened the pledge manager. I'm in!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Wow, thank you! Very generous. I exhibited the game this weekend at the Champlain Valley Games Festival and the reception was pretty great. We ran back to back game demos and had to cut them down to half-length games because so many people were lining up to play. We also had a T-Rex.

Enlarge Image

The project has really grown larger than I was ever expecting at this point.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just got my shipping notification!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From where do you get a shipping notification?

Nevermind got the email. My ETA is nextFriday.

I want to add :wub:
So far we have only had reports of a couple printing or wood component defects. With that said, we want to make sure that if you do have any issues we are able to provide you with replacements as soon as possible.

If something needs our attention, please send an email with your name, mailing address and a description of the problem to xxxxxxxx. If you can, please also take a photo or two of the issue.
Given that it seems like about maybe 1 in 20 plus games I buy have a QA issue I consider worthy of part replacement (sometimes Show Stoppers, sometimes simply this is ridiculous), how you elect to deal with QA problems (should I experience one) determines my future use for you. As example "Your game boards shipping in German for your English version of this game do not affect the game play in 7 Wonders" has resulted in zero future purchases from Asmodee since. I'll still play their games if someone else buys them, but they aren't for me, not at $60+ a pop.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks. Really just trying to run the business the way I would want to be treated.

This week has been exciting and also a little terrifying as copies go out. A few people have messaged directly to say how much they enjoy the game. I am still a little nervous about the “hard core” board gamer reception but I think I have made some fans at the medium weight level.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I'm excited. My copy of the game is supposed to arrive next Friday. I'll be learning the game next weekend!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm sitting here playing Jurassic World Evolution on this lovely bank holiday and I hear FedEx pull up and what does he have for me, a copy of Dinogenics! I went through the box and everything looks great. It plays a little long for my lunchtime board game crew and it's a couple days late for the monthly meetup so I am not sure when I will be able to get to it but I am looking forward to it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I just got home to find mine on my doorstep. We're going to Napa with some friends this weekend, and I'll be adding this into the Gloomhaven/Everdell/Castles of MKL mix. :)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got my copy yesterday, but I know it's going to be several weeks until I can get it on the table. Congrats, though, on getting a game developed, created and published!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Two more days for me...
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden wrote:Castles of MKL
I really should open and play my copy one of these years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trying to take a vacation day on Friday. May not get my copy in time to game over the weekend.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 pm
gbasden wrote:Castles of MKL
I really should open and play my copy one of these years.
It's one of our go to games. I really enjoy it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Are there any plans to do further production? I could definitely take this on the JoCoCruise in March and add it to the 24 hour a day board game library, but I don't know if I want to risk my sole copy if it won't get you any more sales and it's irreplaceable.

http://jococruise.com
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks everyone!

Please do let me know if you have any questions or if anything arrived damaged. There has been some shipping issues with the zombie t-rex orders with more of them arriving damaged than I personally think reasonable.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Out for delivery today! Nice surprise since the original date was Friday. Of course I won't get to it for weeks probably.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

It arrived! Punching it out now. Wow. These are high quality components. Big fan.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My copy arrived today. It looks great! Really looking forward to getting this to the table.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Mine arrived a day early and all six of my Corrupted survived the trip. 8-)

Woot!
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have mine here. I've looked through it, but haven't had time to really dig in.

Meeples, uh, find a way.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Awesome! Hope you guys enjoy!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's here!!!

And it sure as heck passes the lift test.

...and raised boards for play mats. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for but at first inspection nothing looks borked.

And it sure as heck passes the lift test.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah two layer boards just really do it for me. I love them.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We played a 3-player game this afternoon. Big thumbs up.

And now my son (who won) is just sitting with the cats and reading the rulebook.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I got mine punched, sorted, and stored. Everything is present and of excellent quality (although the boards are slightly bowed.) I'm going to try to get it on the table this weekend.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:06 pm We played a 3-player game this afternoon. Big thumbs up.

And now my son (who won) is just sitting with the cats and reading the rulebook.

Really happy you enjoyed it! I’ve been surprised by the number of people who have written me saying their (sometimes quite young) kids loved it. Designing for children wasn’t really my goal but I guess it works. There are also some slightly dark themes in the game that make me feel a little weird about it, the Rapid Gestation and Private Screening cards are pretty bleak.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Rapid Gestation is hilariously gross! And it saved my bacon in our game, after I made the dubious decision to introduce a pterodactyl without a biodome. After a couple of (scandal-filled) seasons, that pterodactyl exploded mid-flight, showering mutants into the waiting pen below.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Looks like the game is getting pretty good early reviews. Congrats!

Now just a matter of figuring out when/where I’ll be able to order a copy...
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Oh hey look what's on the BGG Hotness list.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I see ChrisG is on top of the BGG forum action. It looks like response to the game is pretty great and Dinosaur Island helped a bit by disappointing some folks ahead of time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:42 pm Oh hey look what's on the BGG Hotness list.
At #8 at the moment, right under Gloomhaven. That's... pretty good.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

How is the Hotness list determined?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Secret sauce, but forum posts and thumbs (on game tagged/related content) are a key ingredient, I believe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Played it last night, really enjoyed it, hoping to get it to the table again this week. Sadly I found out I'm missing one type of dinosaur meeple but that happens and replacements will come.

Fun beautiful game! I of course played with the Jurassic Park soundtrack playing in the background.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well we've played this quite a bit lately, and I have to say it has been a hit. My wife REALLY loves it. Not terribly surprising, she loves worker placement games and the theme is nicely attached here and we both enjoy Jurassic Park a lot so I thought it would go over well.

If anyone's interested I do occasionally write reviews for games on BGG, and I wrote a review for Dinogenics and posted it on BGG.

Also I noticed the Secret Cabal put a review for it out, so congrats on getting some attention from the popular podcasts!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

8-)
-mf
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nice write-up!

Any word on when/if this might be available for those of us that didn't Kickstart it? I'm having some serious FOMO going on!
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:05 pm Nice write-up!

Any word on when/if this might be available for those of us that didn't Kickstart it? I'm having some serious FOMO going on!
I can find you an opened, punched but unplayed copy for $250. I'll throw in free shipping! I can't convince the kids to play. I may need to venture out to find adults to play with, but who wants that?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter