The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zarathud »

Trump is fully taking advantage of the system that (1) the IRS releasing tax documents without authorization is illegal and (2) most people don't understand taxes.

Filing tax returns over 100 pages is normal if you have significant assets and active businesses -- or tax shelters, in Trump's case.

The IRS and Mueller have Trump's tax returns. The only ones who don't are the taxpayers who have a right to know. That's why obstruction is going to 11. Investigating Russia is a problem, but Trump's businesses are off limits (according to Trump), or else.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Alefroth wrote:So laying your hands on a woman gets you banned from the White House?
Only for Democrats.

For Republicans, that is called "winning."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm
Alefroth wrote:So laying your hands on a woman gets you banned from the White House?
Only for Democrats.

For Republicans, that is called "winning."
Yeah, it's just locker-room fondling if a certain orange-faced blow-hard does it. What a leg-runner!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:04 pm I just want to acknowledge that that has to be one of the shittiest jobs for an intern to have in the whitehouse. Aside from fluffer, I guess.
This deserves a laugh, but I can't give you one in the current reality.
Sorry.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm
Yet another video released from a new angle
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I wish there was some way to force 45 to experience all this mocking.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... nal&wpmk=1
When the FTC subpoenaed Whitaker for his records related to the company in October 2017, he failed to provide any information, telling investigators that he was busy at that time moving from Iowa to Washington for a new job, according to people with knowledge of the case.

At the time, Whitaker was preparing to assume a new post: chief of staff to then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Another advisory board member who also did legal work for the company, New York-based attorney Eric Creizman, said he also received a subpoena from the FTC and turned over records regarding the company.

“I thought you kind of had to respond to subpoenas,” he said. “If you’re busy, that doesn’t give you the right to avoid a subpoena.”

In the end, FTC investigators did not obtain evidence or internal communications showing Whitaker knew about the company’s phony promises to help investors patent and market their ideas, according to people with knowledge of the case.
WTF? Since when are subpoenas optional?

If he was already in line to start a job with the administration then, did someone step in and get the FTC to back off?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Given the fact that people are either dying or losing everything in the Paradise fire, this seems like a perfect time to begin to blame and threaten.

Seriously, fuck this guy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fuck that guy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fucking POS. It isn't even a forest fire. He is dumber than a bag of rocks. Oh and BTW 9 people died. *womp womp* I guess.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Aside from the obvious outrage fuel of ignoring the death and destruction this fire is causing, isn't California's forest fire mitigation program actually seen as incredibly effective, and used as a model for others? So you're saying that the best fire management practices available aren't good enough, so we should just stop funding it and give up? That's the deal?

Obviously, I know this is just usual Trump raging about things he has no idea about and demonizing blue areas like California.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Enough

Post by Enough »

Over 6000 families have had their homes burn down and that pile of shit threatens to cut federal funding? OMG, I just can't even.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

Chaz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am Aside from the obvious outrage fuel of ignoring the death and destruction this fire is causing, isn't California's forest fire mitigation program actually seen as incredibly effective, and used as a model for others? So you're saying that the best fire management practices available aren't good enough, so we should just stop funding it and give up? That's the deal?

Obviously, I know this is just usual Trump raging about things he has no idea about and demonizing blue areas like California.
That's just his Twitter persona, though. I'm sure that inside the WH he is taking this emergency very seriously and ensuring that the best resources and responses are being made available. After all, Americans are suffering, and no president could ignore that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I believe the fires started on federal park land, not state park land.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:21 am
Chaz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am Aside from the obvious outrage fuel of ignoring the death and destruction this fire is causing, isn't California's forest fire mitigation program actually seen as incredibly effective, and used as a model for others? So you're saying that the best fire management practices available aren't good enough, so we should just stop funding it and give up? That's the deal?

That's just his Twitter persona, though. I'm sure that inside the WH he is taking this emergency very seriously and ensuring that the best resources and responses are being made available. After all, Americans are suffering, and no president could ignore that.
I mean that's the thesis of why he is such a fetid pustule right now. The scope of this disaster is the worst in history for fire in CA and the whole situation deserves POTUS leadership much better than this.
Last edited by Enough on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

tjg_marantz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:42 am I believe the fires started on federal park land, not state park land.
Probably malfunctioning powerlines started it looking like.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enough wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:44 am

I mean that's the thesis of why he is such a fetid pustule right now. The scope of this disaster is the worst in history for fire in CA and the whole situation deserves POTUS leadership much better than this.
Blue state. Let it burn.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I keep seeing comments along the lines of “he’s right, we need better land management policies”. To which I’d ask two things:

- Even if that is the case, is now - as people are literally losing everything - the right time and place for that very public criticism?
- Do you believe for a single second that his comments would be the same if this fire were taking in a red state?

We all know the answer to both is a resounding no, hence why he’s such a garbage human.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:29 pm
Enough wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:44 am

Blue state. Let it burn.
Ironically, the Camp Fire is devastating one of the GOP enclaves in California. Trump is rubbing salt in the wounds of actual Trump supporters.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They seem to like his rubs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

No, he's sitting in a hotel in France, not going to the memorial event that he was supposed to go to because it's outside, it's raining, and apparently that means Marine One can't fly him there? Because the helicopter that flies the President around is apparently unsafe to fly in the rain? So he's doing what he always does when he's sitting around bored and not the center of attention: he tweets crazy stuff to make himself the center of attention.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Chaz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:24 pm

No, he's sitting in a hotel in France, not going to the memorial event that he was supposed to go to because it's outside, it's raining, and apparently that means Marine One can't fly him there? Because the helicopter that flies the President around is apparently unsafe to fly in the rain? So he's doing what he always does when he's sitting around bored and not the center of attention: he tweets crazy stuff to make himself the center of attention.
[Just to be clear: my post here was 100% irony.]
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I figured. I just wanted to make it super clear what the idiot is doing today.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just learned that one of our best friends evacuated her home with her dog as the trees across the road caught fire.

She's a Democrat, though, so POTUS doesn't give a fuck.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Saw a Facebook post today from one of my Trump-supporting co-workers that pretty much sums up the attitude a bunch of them have I think. The article was basically how everyone knows Trump is a blatant liar, but since he has fulfilled his campaign promises then everyone should just give him a break and applaud his job performance.

Never mind that his campaign promises were all founded on horrible #MAGA shit like racism, anti-science, isolationism, etc.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

He never once locker her up. Not once.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Also, last I checked, no wall. And Mexico hasn’t paid for it either.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:51 am He never once locker her up. Not once.
Kurth wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:57 am Also, last I checked, no wall. And Mexico hasn’t paid for it either.
That's just pillow talk, baby. You know, lies so that I can fuck you.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You won't believe this one weird trick that will make you a certified American Hero
U.S. President Donald Trump awarded the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honour in the U.S., to seven individuals Saturday, both living and dead — one of whom has been the biggest donor to the Republican Party.

Miriam Adelson was awarded the Medal of Freedom. She is married to Sheldon Adelson, a billionaire Las Vegas casino magnate and another GOP megadonor.

The Adelsons recently contributed $113 million to GOP causes during the 2018 election cycle. Among those donations, the couple gave $25 million in July to the Senate Leadership Fund, $2 million in September to ESAFund, $3 million in July and September to the Republican Governors Association and roughly $40 million between May and September to the Congressional Leadership Fund, according to Politico.

They also gave $82 million during the 2016 election cycle to the Republican Party, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan research group, making them the largest donor to Republicans that year, too.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:21 am You won't believe this one weird trick that will make you a certified American Hero
U.S. President Donald Trump awarded the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honour in the U.S., to seven individuals Saturday, both living and dead — one of whom has been the biggest donor to the Republican Party.

Miriam Adelson was awarded the Medal of Freedom. She is married to Sheldon Adelson, a billionaire Las Vegas casino magnate and another GOP megadonor.

The Adelsons recently contributed $113 million to GOP causes during the 2018 election cycle. Among those donations, the couple gave $25 million in July to the Senate Leadership Fund, $2 million in September to ESAFund, $3 million in July and September to the Republican Governors Association and roughly $40 million between May and September to the Congressional Leadership Fund, according to Politico.

They also gave $82 million during the 2016 election cycle to the Republican Party, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan research group, making them the largest donor to Republicans that year, too.
This isn’t something I really follow. Curious if there’s an equivalent example on the left. Someone who gets the honor simply because they donated huge sums of money.

I’m guessing I know the answer, but am certainly open to being educated on the topic.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wikipedia: List of Medal of Freedom Recipients.

The category "Philanthropists" probably includes people whose giving has benefited one party more than the others, but it doesn't seem to include anyone else as nakedly partisan as an Adelson.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

CA has very good forest management. The problem is that 60% of the forests in the state are on federal land. And management there has been terrible. The federal forester do have forest management plans 0 they do know what to do - but they just don't have any money for it. All of their forest management money has been used for years on fire suppression. Congress has fixed this starting in 2020, giving them both forest management money and fire suppression money, do hopefully things will improve. So if Trump wants to blame forest management, he's pointing back to himself since his govt manages the federal forests in all his of his glorious ignorance.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Have you read Dust? I think this is the prelude. At least, I think maybe he'd like it.

Move the elites into bunkers and raze the world to the ground. Once we've had a global reset, they can come out and live the good life without all of us losers in the way.
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:03 pmThis isn’t something I really follow. Curious if there’s an equivalent example on the left. Someone who gets the honor simply because they donated huge sums of money.
If money is the entry point to an award, then the award has no value.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It may not have value, but it apparently has a price tag.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chaz wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:26 am It may not have value, but it apparently has a price tag.
Prices that people are willing to pay are the very definition of value.

Obviously we both understand what Paingod is saying though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's a an award for philanthropy, it's very nature is price tag associated.

That said I have no idea what she's done. I figured I'd give her looksee to see if I am just ignorant. Wiki's total biography on her philanthropy
While at Rockefeller, she met Sheldon Adelson, whom she married in 1991. In 1993, she founded a substance abuse center and research clinic there, and in 2000, the couple opened the Dr. Miriam and Sheldon G. Adelson Research Clinic in Las Vegas.[1]
Not a promising start for devaluing the award....

So off to google which then points me to the wiki, where she is second to Sheldon,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelson_Foundation

It's respectable though not on par with the money she's given to the republican.

What's interesting is

1) That the foundation is primarily to promote Jewish interests which goes against the antisemitic memes of Trump, goes against a base who despises Soros for being some sort of Jewish purchaser of Democratic influence. It's weirdly backwards for those that literally call out his name in their WASPcentric hatred.
2) She's the second person named, not the first.
3) The sum of the donations for which she secondly named is less than she has reportedly given Republicans to pedal influence.
4) Also on her Wiki is that she was a financial vice-chair for Trump's presidential bid in 2007.

So the whole thing is pretty topsy turvey with regard to Trump perceptions but it does appear to me the medal was purchased and not for her philanthropy.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 am It's a an award for philanthropy, it's very nature is price tag associated.

That said I have no idea what she's done. I figured I'd give her looksee to see if I am just ignorant. Wiki's total biography on her philanthropy
While at Rockefeller, she met Sheldon Adelson, whom she married in 1991. In 1993, she founded a substance abuse center and research clinic there, and in 2000, the couple opened the Dr. Miriam and Sheldon G. Adelson Research Clinic in Las Vegas.[1]
Not a promising start for devaluing the award....

So off to google which then points me to the wiki, where she is second to Sheldon,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelson_Foundation

It's respectable though not on par with the money she's given to the republican.

What's interesting is

1) That the foundation is primarily to promote Jewish interests which goes against the antisemitic memes of Trump, goes against a base who despises Soros for being some sort of Jewish purchaser of Democratic influence. It's weirdly backwards for those that literally call out his name in their WASPcentric hatred.
2) She's the second person named, not the first.
3) The sum of the donations for which she secondly named is less than she has reportedly given Republicans to pedal influence.
4) Also on her Wiki is that she was a financial vice-chair for Trump's presidential bid in 2007.

So the whole thing is pretty topsy turvey with regard to Trump perceptions but it does appear to me the medal was purchased and not for her philanthropy.
Drive past any major hospital in any major city and you'll see that their new cancer wing or pediatric center or school of hypercybersurgery has a donor's name on it. Many of those donors have done more straight philanthropy than the Adelsons, but you don't see them getting presidential awards.

Obama's philanthropy-related medals went to Bill and Melinda Gates, easily among the largest philanthropic donors in history.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The prospect of Presidential Harassment by the Dems is causing the Stock Market big headaches!
Wreckers and Saboteurs interfering with the Five-Year Plan!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is how our President is spending Veteran's Day, btw. Holed up in the White House and Tweeting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:55 am
The prospect of Presidential Harassment by the Dems is causing the Stock Market big headaches!
Wreckers and Saboteurs interfering with the Five-Year Plan!!
What does that mean? The market has been wild all year and dropping since is tax give away paid dividends/did stock buy backs wore off and on today's dip (at this second) it's still up since Tuesday and Wednesday.

So I'm trying to find the context. The last big dip happened on the 8th of October which seemed to be in large part a tech sector correction and earnings re-alignments based on Tariff predictions being figured in projections.

Such a lothesome human being.