Gale Force Nine Snags “Dune” License

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Link

Based on what I’m reading they’re tying it to both the books as well as the new movie.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Re: Gale Force Nine Snags “Dune” License

Post by LordMortis »

Howcome they show a googley eye D&D picture but not googly eye Dune worm picture?

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sheesh, they're snaggin' licenses like there's no tomorrow. I fully expect them to start work on Terms of Endearment: The Boardgame next.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Sheesh, they're snaggin' licenses like there's no tomorrow. I fully expect them to start work on Terms of Endearment: The Boardgame next.
Oooh, I want to be the Jack Nicholson meeple!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ah, the game where as Atridies faction, I peek at my opponent's card to correctly guess their strength -- then forget that back in the day tied go to the ATTACKER, not the DEFENDER.

Prescience does not protect against misunderstanding the Rules. Especially if it's your game on the table.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

"There can be only one" :horse: :horse:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Those Sardaukar were the literal worst. Nothing says fearsome like helmets that magnify your nose.

Enlarge Image

And then the Dune miniseries upped the ante by making them futuristic 16th-century Swiss guard. At least no codpieces...

Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

Modiphius just announced that they have partnered with Gale Force Nine to produce a Dune tabletop role-playing-game.

No details yet.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I actually kind of liked the Swiss Guard Sardaukar in the miniseries.

Swiss Guard were badass, and the style fits the whole "fading renaissance" aura of the Corrino empire Paul is replacing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GF9 announced at GAMA that they will be reprinting the classic Avalon Hill DUNE boardgame!

https://therewillbe.games/news-new-and- ... force-nine

BGG discussion here delves into the details and speculation.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh...Zarathud had better buy this so I can play. I got all the other GF9 license games, so it's his damn turn.

Now, if someone would just reboot the Dune 2 RTS pc game.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Very likely even though I do have the original Dune edition. With reprinted cards from a fan upgrade.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

My picture of all the Dune characters is still based on the Avalon Hill game, which we bought right after I read the book (and before the David Lynch movie).

cathpeti63

Post by cathpeti63 »

Naughty bot! Inserting a spam link into a post quote. :naughty:
RMC

Post by RMC »

So we played a 4 player version of this game, and I have to say I was not impressed. The factions seem unbalanced, and the game flow was a little slow and disjointed. I know there are some that love this game, but I would not recommend at least with 4 players. I think the game might be better with 5 or 6 players, but honestly if I want to play a 5 or 6 player space game, I have a bunch of others that are better.

I did see that there will be an expansion, but man I am not sure how you would go about adding two more players, or what those factions would do.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My understanding of faction balance is that they are not intended to be balanced. It's up to the players to gang up and prevent the stronger faction(s) from dominating, but I might be wrong, I've only played the one time at Octocon. My dominate memory of the game is that the combat calculations were near impossible for me to wrap my brain around.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:55 pm My understanding of faction balance is that they are not intended to be balanced. It's up to the players to gang up and prevent the stronger faction(s) from dominating, but I might be wrong, I've only played the one time at Octocon. My dominate memory of the game is that the combat calculations were near impossible for me to wrap my brain around.
Yeah, combot is odd as well. And we played with the advance rules which required you to pay spice for each soldier to be at full strength. As the Atredies, it was next to impossible to actually fight at full strength.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Dune is better with more players and absolutely unbalanced in different ways. Don’t let the Harkonnen get too much Treachery. Watch who the Bene Geserit help. Avoid spending so much the Guild can destroy you. And so on...

But each faction has several counters and careful alliances will blunt the benefit of almost any special power or leader. Almost because you can be manipulated by the Bene Geserit into giving them a secret win.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The rules are weird because it’s an old game. Ties do NOT go to the defender, for example.

The trick to Atriedes is knowing how and when to cut your losses. As the Atriedes at Octocon I screwed myself by foretelling the future to know EXACTLY the strength of the attacker and bid spice to tie up the attack. And so I lost everything on a battle I should have won and had to win.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Maybe we can get in on a game of it at Origins this year, well 2020?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes. Dune is definitely a Convention Game. Leaving any hard feelings with random peeps behind is best. Although I will be getting my own copy for Christmas. To sit on the shelf next to my 1978 copy. :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:56 pm Yes. Dune is definitely a Convention Game. Leaving any hard feelings with random peeps behind is best. Although I will be getting my own copy for Christmas. To sit on the shelf next to my 1978 copy. :)
I own a copy. I bought it...Just not sure I like it. :)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Dune is highly thematic. The Spice Must Flow ... even if you choke on it.