Steam Link app for Android and iOS - woot!!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Carpet_pissr

Steam Link app for Android and iOS - woot!!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Apparently not a replacement for the hardware Steam Link (love mine), but the possibilities for this app (free) are amazing for my use.

First thing I will do is play hot seat Civ V with my son on the iPad (Apple still has not approved for app store, but hopefully will soon)

https://www.cnet.com/products/steam-link-app/preview/
Victoria Raverna

Re: Steam Link app for Android and iOS - woot!!

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I tested the android app with my Xiaomi Mibox.

Before start, I have to update the firmware of my Steam Controller using beta steam client (have to enable beta participation to run the beta version). Also need an USB to micro-USB cable to do that.

After pairing the steam controller with the android tv box using bluetooth connection, I tried to navigate android tv menu but was not able to. Maybe Steam Controller doesn't work as a standard android gamepad. I can use wired Xbox 360 controller with the android tv box to navigate menu but can't do tha with the Steam Controller. Didn't try any gamepad ready android tv games with it.

Running Steam Link app, the controller works. At first I made mistake in enabling PIN requirement on the PC Steam client. That forced me to enter the PIN, everytime I want to stream from PC which is hard to do with the steam controller because steam link app display doesn't show clearly where the cursor or pointer is when entering pin. Disabling PIN make the experience smoother.

Tried run some simple games like Sega and Sonic racing game but it didn't run smoothly. Have to do Alt-Tab out of into the game for it to run full screen and stream correctly. Also tried Abzu and managed to complete that game but there are a lot of interruptions. Steam Link app loses connection randomly to the PC and have to restart the stream several times but can continue with the game.

There are still a lot of stuff to fix. Too many glitches, too many disconnections. I'm using wired connection from PC to router and from router to the android tv box so the disconnection is not because of wifi problem.

If it is stable, this can be a good alternative to Nvidia Shield or using Moonlight Streaming App to stream from PC but it is still not there.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Apple still not allowing the iOS version yet, but from what you posted, maybe that’s a good thing until they bake it a bit more.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Installed it on my Smart TV this evening, and played a game of Gloom. Gloom didn't have native support for the XBOne controller, but it worked enough to get through the game. Graphic level was sporadic and I had a couple drops where I had to log back in. But I'm running wifi across half the house.
It's almost as if people are the problem.