The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Kraken »

It means we have the beginnings of a perfectly good new axis of evil. Just gotta work some neo-Nazis into that now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 pm Apparently there's a potential connection between the N.R.A., Trump and Russia. We are absolutely living in a movie.
A conservative operative trumpeting his close ties to the National Rifle Association and Russia told a Trump campaign adviser last year that he could arrange a back-channel meeting between Donald J. Trump and Vladimir V. Putin, the Russian president, according to an email sent to the Trump campaign.

Russia, he wrote, was “quietly but actively seeking a dialogue with the U.S.” and would attempt to use the N.R.A.’s annual convention in Louisville, Ky., to make “ ‘first contact.’ ” The email, which was among a trove of campaign-related documents turned over to investigators on Capitol Hill, was described in detail to The New York Times.
What does it all mean?
Mr. Erickson, a longtime conservative operative who has been involved in several presidential campaigns, presented himself in the email as a well-connected intermediary to the upper reaches of the Russian government. By “happenstance” and the reach of the N.R.A., Mr. Erickson wrote, he had been put in position to “slowly begin cultivating a back-channel to President Putin’s Kremlin” in recent years.

“Russia is quietly but actively seeking a dialogue with the U.S. that isn’t forthcoming under the current administration,” he wrote.

Indeed, evidence does appear to show deep ties between Mr. Erickson, the N.R.A. and the Russian gun rights community that were formed in the years when many American conservatives, put off by the Obama administration’s policies, were increasingly looking to Mr. Putin as an example of a strong leader opposing immigration, terrorism and gay rights.
Reminds me of a WaPo article months ago: Guns and religion: How American conservatives grew closer to Putin’s Russia.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote:It means we have the beginnings of a perfectly good new axis of evil.
And this time it’s us. Nice.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

When we mess with other governments to try and nudge the regime into a more friendly one for our own ends, is this what it feels like to be that nation?

I feel like this is what that might feel like.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Think of the outrage when it's more than a nudge? CIA black ops, overthrowing democratically elected leaders, etc. It's been done many times, and the anger is still there today (against us) in many of those places.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As a result of just discovering this, Mueller is withdrawing his support for Manafort's bail deal.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can we replace "Hail to the Chief" with "Send in the Clowns"?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can't figure this one out. Why did Manafort think this was something he should do while under indictment and continuing investigation by the Special Prosecutor looking into Russian interference? :think:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 pm did Manafort think
I boiled it down to the salient part of your question for you.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

When somebody else holds dirt that can ruin you, you do what they want even if it is unwise. As with Trump, so with Manafort.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 pm When somebody else holds dirt that can ruin you, you do what they want even if it is unwise. As with Trump, so with Manafort.
This is what I suspect - otherwise this is aggressively stupid activity.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:16 pm

As a result of just discovering this, Mueller is withdrawing his support for Manafort's bail deal.
Tweet's gone?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tapatalk was nice enough to cache it for me.

Enlarge Image

And in the off chance that this one gets memory-holed, it's image-saved here.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this seems to be the problem with tweet hotlinking - i've seen several times over the past week posts with 'loading tweet' and no other content, since the tweet was soon deleted after posting. i guess transcribing the text in addition to hotlinking it is still needed.

i wonder if there's a board plugin that automatically transcribes or image-captures posted tweets? i'll go ask in Meta.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Uh oh. Looks like someone is going to get a nasty call tomorrow:
“The facts are disturbing and compelling on the President's intent to obstruct justice,” [Sessions] said, according to remarks in the congressional record.

“The chief law officer of the land, whose oath of office calls on him to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution, crossed the line and failed to defend the law, and, in fact, attacked the law and the rights of a fellow citizen,” Sessions said during Clinton’s trial in the Senate, two months after he was impeached by the House. “Under our Constitution, equal justice requires that he forfeit his office.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Thinking back on Clinton he definitely lied about his affair. I remember being a lot younger and not interested in politics but I didn’t care that he lied. If he’d been forced to leave office I would not have been upset. I thought at the time he was an idiot for what he did and where he chose to do it and I was happy to see him humbled.

I wonder how history would be different today if he had stepped down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Would you look at that: another Trump official gave false testimony to Congress about Russia. Super weird how that keeps happening!
A leading Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee questioned on Monday whether a high-ranking official in Donald J. Trump’s transition team had been deceptive over the summer about her knowledge of discussions between Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser, and a former Russian ambassador.

K. T. McFarland served on the presidential transition team before becoming the White House deputy national security adviser. In July, she was questioned in writing by Senator Cory Booker, Democrat of New Jersey, on whether she had ever spoken to Mr. Flynn about his contacts with Sergey I. Kislyak, who was then the Russian ambassador to Washington, before Mr. Trump took office.

“I am not aware of any of the issues or events described above,” Ms. McFarland wrote in response, sidestepping a direct answer to the question.

An email exchange obtained by The New York Times indicates that Ms. McFarland was aware at the time of a crucial Dec. 29 phone call between Mr. Flynn and Mr. Kislyak that was intercepted by American intelligence. During that call, Mr. Flynn urged Moscow to respond cautiously to sanctions just imposed by the Obama administration for Russia’s interference in the presidential election.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

The charge to which retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn has pleaded guilty may tell us a great deal about the Robert Mueller investigation.

The first question is, why did Flynn lie? People who lie to the FBI generally do so because, if they told the truth, they would be admitting to a crime. But the two conversations that Flynn falsely denied having were not criminal. He may have believed they were criminal but, if he did, he was wrong.

Consider his request to Sergey Kislyak, the Russian ambassador to the U.S., to delay or oppose a United Nations Security Council vote on an anti-Israel resolution that the outgoing Obama administration refused to veto. Not only was that request not criminal, it was the right thing to do. President Obama’s unilateral decision to change decades-long American policy by not vetoing a perniciously one-sided anti-Israel resolution was opposed by Congress and by most Americans. It was not good for America, for Israel or for peace. It was done out of Obama’s personal pique against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rather than on principle.
Some left-wing pundits, who know better, are trotting out the Logan Act, which, if it were the law, would prohibit private citizens (including presidents-elect) from negotiating with foreign governments. But this anachronistic law hasn’t been used for more than 200 years. Under the principle of desuetude — a legal doctrine that prohibits the selective resurrection of a statute that has not been used for many decades — it is dead-letter. Moreover, the Logan Act is unconstitutional insofar as it prohibits the exercise of free speech.

If it were good law, former Presidents Reagan and Carter would have been prosecuted: Reagan for negotiating with Iran’s ayatollahs when he was president-elect, to delay releasing the American hostages until he was sworn in; Carter for advising Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat to reject former President Clinton’s peace offer in 2000-2001. Moreover, Jesse Jackson, Jane Fonda, Dennis Rodman and others who have negotiated with North Korea and other rogue regimes would have gone to prison.

So there was nothing criminal about Flynn’s request of Kislyak, even if he were instructed to do so by higher-ups in the Trump transition team. The same is true of his discussions regarding sanctions. The president-elect is entitled to have different policies about sanctions and to have his transition team discuss them with Russian officials.
So why did Flynn lie about these conversations, and were his lies even material to Mueller’s criminal investigation if they were not about crimes?

The second question is why did Mueller charge Flynn only with lying? The last thing a prosecutor ever wants to do is to charge a key witness with lying.

A witness such as Flynn who has admitted he lied — whether or not to cover up a crime — is a tainted witness who is unlikely to be believed by jurors who know he’s made a deal to protect himself and his son. They will suspect that he is not only “singing for his supper” but that he may be “composing” as well — that is, telling the prosecutor what he wants to hear, even if it is exaggerated or flat-out false. A “bought” witness knows that the “better” his testimony, the sweeter the deal he will get. That’s why prosecutors postpone the sentencing until after the witness has testified, because experience has taught them that you can’t “buy” a witness; you can only “rent “ them for as long as you have the sword of Damocles hanging over them.

So, despite the banner headlines calling the Flynn guilty plea a “thunderclap,” I think it may be a show of weakness on the part of the special counsel rather than a sign of strength. So far he has had to charge potential witnesses with crimes that bear little or no relationship to any possible crimes committed by current White House incumbents. Mueller would have much preferred to indict Flynn for conspiracy or some other crime directly involving other people, but he apparently lacks the evidence to do so.

I do not believe he will indict anyone under the Logan Act. If he were to do so, that would be unethical and irresponsible. Nor do I think he will charge President Trump with any crimes growing out of the president’s exercise of his constitutional authority to fire the director of the FBI or to ask him not to prosecute Flynn.

The investigation will probably not end quickly, but it may end with, not a thunderclap, but several whimpers.
http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/ ... with-lying
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Holman

Post by Holman »

"By Alan M. Dershowitz."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We'll see.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mueller's following the money

Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:35 am Mueller's following the money

Ah, nice. In recent years the only bank that would lend to Trump, and one that's known to be hip-deep in Russian oligarch funds.

Not so long ago, Trump declared his business deals to be the red line Mueller mustn't cross. I imagine yesterday's fiasco put him in Twitter timeout, or else we'd be hearing from him already.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:35 am Mueller's following the money

Nice. This will make or break everything about the Steele dossiers as related to Russian conspiracy shy of peetapes.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:24 am [
Not so long ago, Trump declared his business deals to be the red line Mueller mustn't cross. I imagine yesterday's fiasco put him in Twitter timeout, or else we'd be hearing from him already.
Right, because I'm sure no money changed hands. It's all just a big misunderstanding. Fingers crossed Mueller is good at his job. At this point I find it hard to believe that Drumpf ever earned an honest buck in his life. Even his American dealings have been rife with shady business practices.
Holman

Post by Holman »

When Mueller was building his team, he had his pick of the country's most successful prosecutors experienced with international money-laundering. They flocked to the chance to work on this case.

I'm sure they're happily busy today.

EDIT: And according to Reuters, the documents include not only Donald Trump but also Trump family members.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Are they beholden to this subpoena?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 am Are they beholden to this subpoena?
The Guardian is reporting that the documents have been turned over. (The subpoena was actually issued weeks ago.)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Bank has said they did their own audit around the time russian collusion rumours started and didn't find anything suspicious.

Let's hope their auditor sucks at their job.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 am Bank has said they did their own audit around the time russian collusion rumours started and didn't find anything suspicious.

Right. "We are pleased to report that there is no gambling going on in our club."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'd agree with you except they seem perfectly willing to cooperate with the investigation. That's not typically the behaviour of someone with something to hide.

For example, warning the cops that they can search the house but stay away from the basement, as Drumpf has done.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 am Bank has said they did their own audit around the time russian collusion rumours started and didn't find anything suspicious.

Really, I hope the opposite. I don't actually want my president to be beholden to Russian mob interests even if every indicator so far points to him being beholden to Russian interests. On the other hand, if he is then I want him exposed. I don't care how good the auditors are at their job. It's Mueller and his people whom I need to be particularly good at his job.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm not gonna lie. I want him to die in jail. If he can somehow be made a pauper as well, that'd be icing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 am I'm not gonna lie. I want him to die in jail. If he can somehow be made a pauper as well, that'd be icing.
I also want this but more than that I want justice and even more than that I want a stable government where corruption only goes so far that if I cant' be proud of it, I can at least not be terrified or ashamed of it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:16 am I'd agree with you except they seem perfectly willing to cooperate with the investigation. That's not typically the behaviour of someone with something to hide.

For example, warning the cops that they can search the house but stay away from the basement, as Drumpf has done.
They're just making sure they're covered up to doing their due diligence. Big banks have been nailed for money laundering. It's part of doing business as a big bank and they pay their slap on the wrist fines and move on. Individual employees just have to make sure they have done the minimum required. So of course they're going to say they did an audit and found nothing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 am Would you look at that: another Trump official gave false testimony to Congress about Russia. Super weird how that keeps happening!
A leading Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee questioned on Monday whether a high-ranking official in Donald J. Trump’s transition team had been deceptive over the summer about her knowledge of discussions between Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser, and a former Russian ambassador.

K. T. McFarland served on the presidential transition team before becoming the White House deputy national security adviser. In July, she was questioned in writing by Senator Cory Booker, Democrat of New Jersey, on whether she had ever spoken to Mr. Flynn about his contacts with Sergey I. Kislyak, who was then the Russian ambassador to Washington, before Mr. Trump took office.

“I am not aware of any of the issues or events described above,” Ms. McFarland wrote in response, sidestepping a direct answer to the question.

An email exchange obtained by The New York Times indicates that Ms. McFarland was aware at the time of a crucial Dec. 29 phone call between Mr. Flynn and Mr. Kislyak that was intercepted by American intelligence. During that call, Mr. Flynn urged Moscow to respond cautiously to sanctions just imposed by the Obama administration for Russia’s interference in the presidential election.

Hmm... where I have I heard the name K.T. McFarland before....

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:16 am I'd agree with you except they seem perfectly willing to cooperate with the investigation. That's not typically the behaviour of someone with something to hide.

The information solely available to the bank could easily not look suspicious on its own. Like, say Trump Jr. got a money transfer from a Russian national on X date. Mueller might have information that said Russian national is connected to Russian intelligence, and that the day before the transfer Trump Jr. met with that Russian intelligence source. Deutsche Bank would only know the fact of the transfer (and some assorted details around it), but wouldn't know the rest of it, so it wouldn't set off any flags there. It's not like money transfers are going to be flagged "for purposes of paying people to interfere with the U.S. presidential election in favor of Donald Trump, in connection with a quid pro quo agreement with Donald J. Trump."

I'm making those facts up, of course, but it's easy to imagine situations where the financials are important pieces of evidence, but not overtly suspicious on their own.
Black Lives Matter.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I hope this becomes a really awesome movie one day.
18-1™ & 2-0
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

“The Dumbest Guys in the Room”
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

"Resident Imbecile"
18-1™ & 2-0
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:01 am
EDIT: And according to Reuters, the documents include not only Donald Trump but also Trump family members.
Oh, there will be a pee tape, mark my words. Even if I have to Stanley Kubrick moon landing the goddamn thing.
He won. Period.