Xenoblade Chronicles 2 [Switch]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 [Switch]

Post by Zaxxon »

Anyone else looking forward to this one in a couple of weeks? I missed the first one but have been pulled in by the recent Nintendo Direct and other previews, combined with the first one's universal acclaim.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 [Switch]

Post by Zaxxon »

Timely preview from NintendoLife this morning.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They both look really good. It's nice to see color and imagination in RPGs from time to time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, I just pre-loaded it onto my Switch over lunch. So much for waiting for reviews...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have an Amazon.com preorder in for a physical copy. I only hope the font is bigger than the WiiU version.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

baelthazar wrote:I have an Amazon.com preorder in for a physical copy. I only hope the font is bigger than the WiiU version.
I almost went that route, but wanted to try the digital functionality since I see myself going back to this one often and changing Switch carts is the devil. 13 GB download, though. Sheesh.

Also, you don't get taxed on digital and I do on Amazon, so the up front hit is more like $9 vs $12. Will eat it on resale, though, if I don't like it.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm
baelthazar wrote:I have an Amazon.com preorder in for a physical copy. I only hope the font is bigger than the WiiU version.
I almost went that route, but wanted to try the digital functionality since I see myself going back to this one often and changing Switch carts is the devil. 13 GB download, though. Sheesh.

Also, you don't get taxed on digital and I do on Amazon, so the up front hit is more like $9 vs $12. Will eat it on resale, though, if I don't like it.
I have Amazon Prime, so they drop the cost of preorders by something like 20%. This drops the cost down for me around $9. If you preorder enough games and pay on shipping, Prime ends up being well worth the high yearly cost.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:18 am
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm

I have Amazon Prime, so they drop the cost of preorders by something like 20%. This drops the cost down for me around $9. If you preorder enough games and pay on shipping, Prime ends up being well worth the high yearly cost.
Yeah, same here. I was comparing the 20% off Prime discount (plus tax) to the $59.99 eShop price (no tax), and it comes to around $9 difference. I'm not disputing Prime's value at all--pretty sure I 'save' at least 2-3x what I pay for Prime just in shipping each year.

Is it 12/1 yet? I'm still knee-deep in Odyssey and have more BotW to do, not to mention still 3-staring all of the 150cc and 200cc Grand Prix in Kart, but I really want me some XB.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I agree about changing the Switch Carts. I hate it. HATE IT! But Xenoblade games have great resale (the Wii version eventually got up to ridiculous levels of rarity, although digital distribution should curb that). You may have me convinced to change to Digital, however, as I had not thought about the cartridge thing.

I am worried it won't fit, even on my upgraded SD card, however.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I grabbed a 128 GB SD card last week in an Amazon crazy sale for $29, so that helps. It really depends on what games you're going for. Nintendo first-party games aren't too bad: Xenoblade Chronicles 2's 13 GB is on the very high side for those--BotW is also 13 GB, Kart is 7 GB, Odyssey is 5.something, Snipperclips is < 2 GB, etc. When you get into ports is where it gets nuts. LA Noire is 27 GB, Doom is 21, Skyrim is 15.

So between the internal storage of around 25 GB usable, plus 118 usable on a 128 GB SD card, the console can hold quite a few games so long as they're not all huge. I think I will probably largely stick to physical, saving digital for stuff I think will have a particularly long life for me, as well as obviously the digital-only games.

What I wish they would do is make a way to take a physical game and install it locally. We know they have the ability to individually identify a physical cartridge, as you can't claim Club Nintendo points for 2 accounts from the same cart. So it's possible--just a question of whether Nintendo would allow it. I'd love, for example, to permanently install Kart or Odyssey.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's Xenoblade week! Nintendo PR has gone into overdrive lately (for a second-tier release, at least). I'm stoked.

Shadow of the Lowlands music video

Story Trailer
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

More soundtrack fun...

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tonight is release night. The reviews are pouring in today, with an 85 on Metacritic as I type this.

Highlights:
-It's huge. Reports of 70-90 hours to complete the main story-line are rampant.
-Fantastic musical score
-Engrossing, awe-inspiring world and vistas
-Scalable to long docked sessions or quick-ish handheld play

Lowlights:
-Not-so-streamlined interface
-JRPG cliché overload, such as lingerie model main characters

Can't wait.

Polygon: "Therein lies the paradox of this game. It feels like both a relic out of time and a welcome glimpse of handheld gaming’s future. For all its sloppiness, Xenoblade 2’s combination of classic RPG concepts and flexible on-the-go play make for one of the most engrossing takes on the genre I’ve encountered since Dragon Quest 9, which possessed a similar appeal. While I still have quite a bit more of the game to battle through before I can definitively say whether it manages to hold my interest through the final chapter, the first half has at least been a success. "
The Verge: "The perfect thing to play after Zelda."
RPGamer: " The overall depth of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and how well it all ties together is astounding. Though higher expectations mean it is less of a stunning revelation than the first game, Monolith Soft has risen up tall to meet those expectations and delivered spectacularly in every area. 2017 has been one of the greatest years in RPG history; Xenoblade Chronicles 2 caps that off in mesmerising fashion by being one of the finest titles of the year."
WCCFtech: "Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an essential JRPG for fans of the genre. If you own a Switch and have enjoyed JRPGs in the past, then you should get it, absolutely. In a year which had games like Tales of Berseria and Persona 5, it just might be the best JRPG of 2017, and that’s saying something."
God is a Geek: "Monolith Soft has not just released a great JRPG but surpassed almost all expectations I had for this release. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a massive game that has a few shortcomings but it’s a perfect end to 2017 on the Nintendo Switch."
GameRevolution: "I thought that Christmas came early this year for the Switch with the release of Super Mario Odyssey, but I was wrong. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an outstanding title to finish out the Switch's first year on the market, and it's a must-have title if you're a fan of RPGs and own the system. It can be difficult at times, but it's fair and forgiving, and it's a game that wants you to make it to the end and enjoy the experience as you journey there."
Nintendo Life: "It's Monolith Soft doing what it does best, albeit without shaking off the occasional flaws of the series. It's ultimately an important part of an incredible launch year for the Switch - a reminder that while system concepts change some things are constant. This is another Xenoblade gem, and a must-have for the most dedicated of adventurers."
Gaming Trend: "While it’s definitely got its flaws, and it doesn’t quite reach the same exceptional standards as its predecessor, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is definitely worth playing. With robust, customizable combat, fun characters and an interesting story, and huge environments to explore, it’s one of the best games on the Switch and an excellent RPG."
IGN: "...a standout RPG that manages to keep its story, combat, and exploration interesting over the course of at least 70 hours of adventure through an impressively varied and rich world. Getting from place to place can be confusing, but outside of that and a multi-hour progression roadblock near the end this is an excellent game full of tough, memorable battles and a positive message."
Destructoid: "The nuts and bolts are old-school, but it's not archaic. If you die you restart at a local checkpoint with all your progress intact, you might just need to get back to a boss fight (which then starts instantly without a cutscene, thank goodness), or a specific area. You can also save anywhere and fast travel at almost any time, or skip most of the game's movies if you're getting tired of watching the myriad short films you'll be watching over the course of roughly 80 hours (I didn't, but you can)."
Gamespot: "Xenoblade 2 exhibits admirable depth. Adventurous types that enjoy complex combat systems can easily spend more than 100 hours uncovering Alrest's secrets and developing their team of Blades, provided they can come to terms with a handful of unavoidable shortcomings. It's equal parts pleasing and frustrating, but the struggle to keep up with everything thrown your way is more of a hurdle than a roadblock. It will be a tough pill to swallow for people who aren't accustomed to the typical cliches found in many Japanese RPGs, and its often clumsy nature keeps it from being the next groundbreaking Switch game, but Xenoblade 2 is worth pursuing if you've got enough patience to let it blossom."
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Thanks for posting those reviews. The Gaming Trend one is especially useful, as it was written by a true fan of the first game (damn, he even mentions the Satorl Marsh nighttime music!) and addresses some of the concerns I have about the second game.

I look forward to your impressions, Zaxxon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, I'm 2.5 hours in and quite enjoying myself so far. Its 1 am and I am not yet going to bed despite 5:30 wakeup call approaching... It's definitely a story-heavy trip so far-I'd estimate I've spent an hour or so in cutscenes to this point.

A bit slow to start, but not unenjoyably so. There's just a lot of tutorial info to communicate.

English voiceover has been largely good so far, with a few cringe-worthy moments that I think are more my difficulty with JRPG style than VO issues per se. Downloaded the Japanese VO pack to compare (just shy of 900 MB). I think I'll stick to English, as I find myself distracted from the visuals when I'm forced to read subtitles constantly.

The 1.1 patch added an Events Theater feature that lets you go back and watch any prior cutscene, with whichever VO track you want. Pretty slick.

Ok, back to it. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So, 2:15 am, and I'm finally going to bed.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Really looking forward to this one; reviews are looking great.

One caution that keeps popping up in reviews: be sure to take your time when tutorial screens pop-up. They're supposedly very information dense and they tell you things you won't really need to know for a while -- but there's no way to go back and re-read them at a later time. I'm planning on taking screenshots of every tutorial page when they come up so I can make my own reference library.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You're going to have a... Large library. It hasn't been too bad for me so far. I've just made a point of going slow and not proceeding past a tutorial message until I've fully processed it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am You're going to have a... Large library. It hasn't been too bad for me so far. I've just made a point of going slow and not proceeding past a tutorial message until I've fully processed it.
Hmm, good to know. This is going to be a tough game for when my kids want to spectate. "Big, exciting battle coming up! Woo! Now hold tight and give me 10-15 minutes to read these instructions."
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

True dat. Also, depending on the age of your kids, "Ignore the watermelon-sized chest implants and bookmark-sized clothing on that woman. She's actually pretty neat. Same for the chaps the main character is wearing. He just likes to let it breathe." And the 5-minute cutscenes.

Thankfully the Switch makes stopping in the middle of stuff easy since you can just hit home and put the Switch to sleep, then come back exactly where you were. As long as you don't need to close the game for someone else to play.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I never got around to playing Xeno Chronicles 1 -- anything I should know from that game (story or character-wise) going into this one?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 am I never got around to playing Xeno Chronicles 1 -- anything I should know from that game (story or character-wise) going into this one?
Hipolito will have to tackle that one, as I haven't played 1 or X, either. I can say that there have been a few comments that I'm pretty sure have been references to stuff that happened prior, but nothing that has detracted from my understanding of where the story is at now. More like nods to the past, I think.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kotaku with the first 'this game is pretty terrible' review. I can't say that any of Jason's complaints are wrong, but they are not yet bothering me. It is definitely a complex game with a lot of menu-ing, though.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:12 pm Kotaku with the first 'this game is pretty terrible' review. I can't say that any of Jason's complaints are wrong, but they are not yet bothering me. It is definitely a complex game with a lot of menu-ing, though.
FWIW, that reviewer also hated the first Xeno Chronicles, which was very well received overall. Just not his cup of tea, so just be aware on how much your tastes in tea match up with his.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:30 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:12 pm Kotaku with the first 'this game is pretty terrible' review. I can't say that any of Jason's complaints are wrong, but they are not yet bothering me. It is definitely a complex game with a lot of menu-ing, though.
FWIW, that reviewer also hated the first Xeno Chronicles, which was very well received overall. Just not his cup of tea, so just be aware on how much your tastes in tea match up with his.
Yep.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm now about 8.5 hours in. Just started Chapter 3. My early verdict is this is a deeply flawed game that is still a lot of fun. Most of the complaints I've seen in reviews are valid or mostly valid IMO. There is a lot of tedium. The menus are many. Map is not good. Combat blurbs are ridiculous. Pathing/movement has issues.

But the music is outstanding, the art design engrossing, and the cutscenes fun. The combat is still an open book for me-it's cool but I'm not sure how deep it is just yet.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is the combat strategic, like in older JRPGs where you control the whole party, or does this follow the newer trend of you controlling one character like an action game and the others just sort of do their thing?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:Is the combat strategic, like in older JRPGs where you control the whole party, or does this follow the newer trend of you controlling one character like an action game and the others just sort of do their thing?
It's somewhere in between. You control your character, and the AI controls the movement and general combat of your teammates. However you control when everyone uses their Blade Arts for purposes of chaining together combos. You can also call your teammates to concentrate attacks on one enemy in particular.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's kind of disappointing. I have been missing JRPGs, but the last few I tried all played like action games, not the intelligent tactical games they used to be.

/edit - I didn't mean that to sound disparaging. I think "thoughtful" would have been a better word than "intelligent." I like making a plan and considering options more than testing my reaction time, and find that in the newer action-style JRPGs, I can't even tell what's going on or what my team is doing half of the time.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There's some strategery in selecting appropriate Blades, load-outs (can't take all attacks into battle, and must choose buffs), combos, etc. But there's certainly a reaction time element to it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was considering picking up a Switch for this game, but after reading that review, I think I'm going to stay away. It sounds like they took everything I disliked about the second game, and cranked it up to 11.

Probably not worth the investment, as there isn't a ton else on the Switch that interests me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm now 12 hours in and still in the first major area. Obtained my first rare Blade via bonding. Still having fun despite the game's flaws.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Here's a decent overview of how the combat works and what all the terms mean. It's hard to get your head around at first (or was for me, anyway), but is pretty slick once you get the hang of it.

Gamespot
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:45 pm That's kind of disappointing. I have been missing JRPGs, but the last few I tried all played like action games, not the intelligent tactical games they used to be.
Persona games have the old school "turn based, control all your characters" combat.. unfortunately they also have the "control the daily life of a teenager" part, which I guess you might be familiar with. I am generally not big on JRPGs but I did finish Persona 5 despite that last bit. Don't ask Skiny about that one. I played it because he sold it cheap after finding he hated it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

17h 30m in, and my opinion on the game has risen again. The pace of the story has picked up, tutorials have opened up more advanced combat ideas, and the mechanics overall are more fun once you've got additional driver and blade options to mess around with.

The flaws discussed earlier are all present, but there's a lot of good here, too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:25 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:45 pm That's kind of disappointing. I have been missing JRPGs, but the last few I tried all played like action games, not the intelligent tactical games they used to be.
Persona games have the old school "turn based, control all your characters" combat.. unfortunately they also have the "control the daily life of a teenager" part, which I guess you might be familiar with. I am generally not big on JRPGs but I did finish Persona 5 despite that last bit. Don't ask Skiny about that one. I played it because he sold it cheap after finding he hated it.
It's actually on my list. The Vita one, too. I'm just waiting for it to drop in price.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ars is in with the typically-Arsian late review. I largely agree with it. I'm on a small break from Xenoblade while I tackle BotW's 2nd DLC, but can't wait to get back.

Side note: Counterattack--great battle turnaround theme, or best battle turnaround theme?

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

That Ars Technica review has pushed me a bit toward the buy column.
Gillan

Post by Gillan »

I love that battle theme! Thanks for sharing.
I'm positive it's a right thing to play clubofpassion com no deposit casinos. I do whatever it takes to play there this evening. Soon I'll have to find more info about em.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Hipolito wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 pm That Ars Technica review has pushed me a bit toward the buy column.
It's not without its flaws but I'm still really loving the game.