The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Holman wrote:And here's a new Trump tweet with two and a half minutes of declaring the media the enemy of the American people.
We are living a nightmare.

By "dishonest" he means "free" and "media" he means "press."

Still trying to figure out "GREAT AMERICAN PEOPLE." "IMMEDIATE FAMILY" maybe?
Corporate Masters perhaps.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you can't get them to die of sickness, maybe just let them freeze to death:
President Donald Trump has proposed eliminating heating aid for low-income Americans, claiming it's no longer necessary and rife with fraud. People needn't worry about being left in the cold, he says, because utilities cannot cut off customers in the dead of winter.

But he is wrong on all counts.

The heating program provides a critical lifeline for people like Perkins, and officials close to the program don't see any widespread fraud. Guidelines for winter shutoffs by utilities vary from state to state and don't apply to heating oil, a key energy source in the bitter New England winter.
The proposal to kill the program, which has distributed $3.4 billion to about 6 million households this fiscal year, will face strong opposition in Congress.

Forty-three senators from mostly cold-weather states already signed a letter urging the Republican chairman and ranking Democrat on the Appropriations Committee to ensure funding for the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program, known in many states by its acronym, LIHEAP.

In Maine, the poorest state in New England, the program helped nearly 77,000 people over the past winter, and those numbers represented less than a quarter of eligible households, said Deborah Turcotte of MaineHousing, which helps to run the program.
Mark Wolfe, of the National Energy Assistance Directors' Association, said that the Trump administration is relying on an old General Accounting Office report on the fraud claim, and that improvements have been made since then. In Maine, for example, only 100 cases - 0.3 percent of all submitted applications - are being investigated for potential fraud, according to MaineHousing.

And programs aimed at preventing utilities from being turned off wouldn't protect everyone. Utility regulations vary, with some states preventing shutoffs during the entire winter and others doing so only on exceptionally cold days.

And there's absolutely no requirement for heating oil and propane dealers, which are not regulated like electric and natural gas utilities, to make deliveries to customers who cannot pay. That's a big problem in the Northeast, which accounts for more than 80 percent of the nation's residential heating oil consumption.

Health and Human Services Secretary Thomas Price, who contends the LIHEAP program doesn't demonstrate "strong performance outcomes," said difficult decisions are necessary to streamline the government to focus on the administration's goals of defense and public safety.

The LIHEAP program already has undergone substantial cuts.

The average benefit has been reduced by $100 from 2010 to 2015 as funding was slashed during the Obama administration. That coincides with Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. ending participation in a free-oil program run by a Massachusetts-based nonprofit.

Nationwide, the average home heating cost last winter was $1,448 for propane, $1,227 for heating oil, $902 for electricity and $577 for natural gas.

Many observers refuse to accept that the program will be eliminated altogether.

It's just too popular in Congress, and it also distributes aid to poor people in states like Florida and Arizona to keep cool on blazing hot summer days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The LIHEAP tussle is another weird indicator that something is very broken in the man. Ever notice that everything with the man is about how someone is cheating someone else? They are cheating us on trading, they are cheating us on immigration, people are rigging elections against him, etc. Perhaps this is the natural byproduct of living your whole life cheating people.
Holman

Post by Holman »

NPR is tweeting the Declaration of Independence, line by line, as they have done in the past.
Judging from the replies, however, some Trumpkins seem to think it's a liberal-bias media rant against Trump.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've seen some of the tweets in response to NPR. They're both sad and hilarious.
Hodor.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Wonder what they asked him to do?

Edit: Some useful context.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I fully expect that filling this vacancy - above any other - will have the complete lack of urgency and any requisite vetting that we have come to expect from the Trump administration.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This is totally normal
But CNN is a journalistic enterprise. Or, at least, it plays one on TV. And so when a politician spews vicious, obvious lies on a near-daily basis — and directs a good portion of that venom at the free press itself — CNN’s anchors and reporters feel compelled to correct and condemn such mendacity. And that makes the president feel “betrayed.”

So, now, his administration is openly threatening to punish the network by sending the Justice Department after its parent company. As the New York Times reports:

Mr. Trump’s allies argue that it is CNN’s conduct that is unbecoming. Starting on last year’s campaign trail, the president and his aides have accused the network of bias and arrogance, an offensive that heated up again in January after CNN reported on the existence of a secret dossier detailing a series of lurid accusations against Mr. Trump. The network’s reporters now routinely joust with Mr. Trump’s press aides, and Jim Acosta, a White House correspondent, recently denounced the administration’s use of off-camera briefings as an affront to American values.

White House advisers have discussed a potential point of leverage over their adversary, a senior administration official said: a pending merger between CNN’s parent company, Time Warner, and AT&T. Mr. Trump’s Justice Department will decide whether to approve the merger, and while analysts say there is little to stop the deal from moving forward, the president’s animus toward CNN remains a wild card.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It is normal, for Trump. How many times have you seen him talk smack about how Amazon doesn't pay enough taxes. Would he be doing that if it wasn't for the coverage he gets from the Washington Post?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd argue CNN helped him win as much as it hurt him. They were the ones blasting every little headline about Hillary's emails, and giving him an inordinate amount of coverage over his opponent. No such thing as bad press, as they say.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The normalization proceeds apace.
South Park is to make fewer jokes about Donald Trump, its co-creator has said.

Trey Parker told The Los Angeles Times the show had fallen into the "trap" of mocking the US president in its episodes every week.

"We're becoming: 'Tune in to see what we're going to say about Trump.' Matt [Stone, co-creator] and I hated it but we got stuck in it somehow," he said.

Parker added he and Stone want the show, which has been running for 20 years, to return to its roots.

He said the series should stick to the "bread and butter" of "kids being kids and being ridiculous and outrageous".

Recently, the show has seen teacher Mr Garrison campaign for president on the basis he would build a wall to keep out Canadians - a reference to the wall President Trump wants to build on the Mexican border.

Parker said: "We probably could put up billboards - 'Look what we're going to do to Trump next week!' - and get crazy ratings. But I just don't care."

"We fell into the same trap that Saturday Night Live fell into, where it was like, 'Dude, we're just becoming CNN now'."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump, tweeting from the G20:
Obsessive Loser wrote:Everyone here is talking about why John Podesta refused to give the DNC server to the FBI and the CIA. Disgraceful!
1) Podesta did not work for the DNC. Trump is confusing his narratives.
2) Are we really to believe that that's what world leaders are talking about in mid-2017?
3) Can we doubt that it's what Trump talks about when he meets them?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:If you can't get them to die of sickness, maybe just let them freeze to death:
President Donald Trump has proposed eliminating heating aid for low-income Americans, claiming it's no longer necessary
Of course not, Global Warming is making it unnecessary. Or, as the Republicans describe it, "a proliferation of heat fairies caused by restrictive gun and hunting laws."
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote:Of course not, Global Warming is making it unnecessary. Or, as the Republicans describe it, "a proliferation of heat fairies caused by restrictive gun and hunting laws."
STOLEN.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This seems as good a thread as any about this. Trump said this while sitting next to Mexico's president!
Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In his defense, he likely didn't even realize that anyone else was on the stage with him.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At least he didn't try to order a taco bowl.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote:I'd argue CNN helped him win as much as it hurt him. They were the ones blasting every little headline about Hillary's emails, and giving him an inordinate amount of coverage over his opponent. No such thing as bad press, as they say.
CNN helped Trump way more than it hurt him during the campaign, though cable news generally was a huge problem.

Since the election they have broken a number of big anti-Trump stories, though, which is probably what Trump is focusing on now.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, I just want to say that I am not at all concerned that Trump met with Putin in private, with only Friend of Russia medal winner Rex Tillerson (and Russian officials).
Black Lives Matter.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

El Guapo wrote:Also, I just want to say that I am not at all concerned that Trump met with Putin in private, with only Friend of Russia medal winner Rex Tillerson (and Russian officials).
Trump knelt in the Pit of Doom, and for once he did not care that Vladimir Putin watched his trembling with that eyeless, impassive gaze. “Have I not done well, Great Lord?” The Great Lord’s laughter filled Trump's head.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Trump knelt before Putin. "Do not be nervous," the Russian leader said, softly running Donald's hair through his fingers. "I assure you I shall be gentle, but I warn you that I shall not be quick."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:Also, I just want to say that I am not at all concerned that Trump met with Putin in private, with only Friend of Russia medal winner Rex Tillerson (and Russian officials).
Yuck, I have this image of a bunch of Russians screaming, ASS TO ASS!, to Trump and Rex...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote:
Yuck, I have this youtube video of a bunch of Russians screaming, ASS TO ASS!, to Trump and Rex...
FTFY
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I did not see this coming.

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.s ... ump_b.html

We may survive the next four years yet and my complete contempt for one side of aisle may get dampened.
WASHINGTON, D. C. - Ignoring President Donald Trump's suggested elimination of federal money for the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, U.S. House of Representatives budgeters on Tuesday announced they plan to allocate $300 million for the program.

In addition to giving the Great Lakes cleanup program the same amount of money it got most years before Trump took office, a 2018 budget draft unveiled Tuesday by the House Appropriations Committee took other steps sought by Ohio's congressional members.

The proposed budget contains language seeking prompt release of a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers study on how to keep invasive Asian Carp from spreading into the Great Lakes and damaging native fisheries. In February, the Army Corps indefinitely postponed the study's release, saying it needed to allow "further coordination" among interested parties.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Trumps budget proposal was so batshit crazy that there isn't any way they could follow it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote:I did not see this coming.

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.s ... ump_b.html

We may survive the next four years yet and my complete contempt for one side of aisle may get dampened.
WASHINGTON, D. C. - Ignoring President Donald Trump's suggested elimination of federal money for the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, U.S. House of Representatives budgeters on Tuesday announced they plan to allocate $300 million for the program.

In addition to giving the Great Lakes cleanup program the same amount of money it got most years before Trump took office, a 2018 budget draft unveiled Tuesday by the House Appropriations Committee took other steps sought by Ohio's congressional members.

The proposed budget contains language seeking prompt release of a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers study on how to keep invasive Asian Carp from spreading into the Great Lakes and damaging native fisheries. In February, the Army Corps indefinitely postponed the study's release, saying it needed to allow "further coordination" among interested parties.
This was one program and it involved Ohio. Enough said. Wake me when they aren't completely gutting climate science still.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Ah belittle people by making gay sex accusations, when is that ever not funny?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Octavious wrote:Trumps budget proposal was so batshit crazy that there isn't any way they could follow it.
More importantly it's pork. Even in this climate, congresspeople want to bring that home.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The six categories of Trump apologetics

fake news head-fake
whataboutism
anti-anti-Trump
Two plus two DOES equal five!
The inverted Rumsfeld
The goalpost transplant
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They were all intuitive except the inverted Rumsfeld, which sound like an Olympic Dive.
The inverted Rumsfeld

Remember how former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was fond of saying that “the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”? Though controversial in Rumsfeld’s application to the more discretely measurable question of whether Saddam Hussein was hiding weapons of mass destruction in Iraq 15 years ago, the age-old observation contains the tautological truth that there might be stuff we haven’t learned yet.

Trumpists have replaced the inherent humility of this proposition with a premature, pugnacious certainty that all wrongdoing has been definitively ruled out. "I don't know what else the mainstream media can talk about other than the fact that there was no collusion" between Russia and Trump, former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski said as recently as Saturday. "There was no coordination. Now, the president is taking this issue directly to the president of Russia and raised it, so now I think the issue is officially dead."

Having serially failed to produce full public exonerations from Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, National Security Agency chief Michael S. Rogers and former FBI Director James B. Comey, Trump and his underlings just keep stating his innocence as fact. It is less true by the day.
Bolding mine and OMG, yes. It's goes from pre-mature yes to this has shown conclusively to be dead, can we move on already? while still pre-mature.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Take your pick this morning

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/14/us/airbnb ... index.html
Dyne Suh had driven in a snowstorm to the Airbnb rental near Big Bear, California. The host canceled the reservation as Suh was close to arriving and texted her: "I wouldn't rent to u if u were the last person on earth. One word says it all. Asian," according to the department.
Suh responded that she would report the host to Airbnb for being racist.
"It's why we have trump," the host wrote back. "And I will not allow this country to be told what to do by foreigners."
https://www.propublica.org/article/devo ... department

"he new acting head of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights"
While at the Institute, Jackson provided editorial assistance on a book of collected essays by the institute’s co-founder, economic historian Murray N. Rothbard. A charismatic figure who devoted his life to ideas, Rothbard died a few years before Jackson’s fellowship. Mark Thornton, an economist and a senior fellow at the Mises Institute who vaguely recalled Jackson but did not specifically remember her role at the center, said that her editorial assistance may have involved proofreading.

Rothbard’s 1999 book, “Education: Free and Compulsory,” advocated for a voluntary education system, denouncing government-mandated schooling. Currently, all U.S. states require students to attend school until they are at least 16 years old.

“To force these children to be exposed to schooling, as the State does almost everywhere, is a criminal offense to their natures,” wrote Rothbard. “In any case, the instruction has almost no effect on these children, many of whose hours of life are simply wasted because of the State’s decree.”

This was not Jackson’s only connection to Rothbard’s work. She also wrote two papers analyzing his theories. One essay compared his philosophy to that of libertarian novelist Ayn Rand. In the other, she wrote that his 1982 book, “The Ethics of Liberty,” “shines as a monumental achievement, meeting Rothbard’s goal of setting forth ‘a positive ethical system … to establish the case for individual liberty.’”

In other essays, published on a former colleague’s website, Rothbard called the Civil Rights Act of 1964 “monstrous,” and lambasted one provision of it, which prohibited employment discrimination, as “a horrendous invasion of the property rights of the employer.”
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Both of those are super incredibly depressing. Especially the second one. The first is bad, but is a single data point which may be part of a larger trend. The second one represents the perversion and delegitimizing of the public education system. As soon as they manage to convince even a decent percentage of the population that public education is not only unimportant, but actually detrimental to the nation, we're doomed. And it seems pretty likely that they're going to get there by internally sabotaging it so that their narrative comes true for everyone, instead of only being true for non-white and/or poor areas.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaz wrote:And it seems pretty likely that they're going to get there by internally sabotaging it so that their narrative comes true for everyone,
That seems to be true for nearly every department in this presidency.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Judge Throws Out Conviction Of Woman Who Laughed At Jeff Sessions

"Instead of sentencing a woman to jail time for laughing during Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing, a D.C. judge threw out the woman's conviction and called for a new trial."
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

WH publishes negative emails over voter registration info request.. They don't even bother to hide email addresses, names, contact info or employers.

And these morons want my voter registration info?

Now I understand the 2nd Amendment.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When the White House is doxing people, you know we are in a dark timeline.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kurth wrote:How is this possible? Support for Trump at 50% in counties he won
That's actually a drop from the previous poll. So...baby steps?
PLW

Post by PLW »

gilraen wrote:
That's actually a drop from the previous poll. So...baby steps?
If approval ratings were votes, that means he'd lose about half of those counties today. That's about where I'd expect him to be.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There was a radio segment I was listening to last week on my local communist radio station that involved interviews with people at a county fair in Nebraska or Wyoming (I think) regarding President Trump. Essentially quick questions on how they felt he was doing. All the people they talked to said he was doing great and that the Russia stuff was just "lies'. They also believed Trump was trying to get things done but the Democrats were obstructing the process and holding him back. My take on the interviews was (1) these people are not glued to 24/7 social media - they get dribs and drabs of information and (2) they're not feeling or seeing a single thing yet related to the election so there's no need to change/modify their opinions.
Maybe next year, maybe no go