I have an idea for future Presidential Debates

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

RunningMn9

I have an idea for future Presidential Debates

Post by RunningMn9 »

I noticed a lot of people mentioning that supporters on both sides believed things that simply weren't true, and that they believed them because of what their campaigns told them.

So here's what I suggest. Next debate, instead of using stupid little lights to tell me how time is left in any particular non-answer, we use those lights for a real purpose.

Show the green light when the candidate is listing information that's true. Show the yellow light when the candidate is stretching the truth. And flash the red light when he's outright lying.

We can also flash "LIAR!" on the screen when a lie is detected.

Can I get any support for this?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Or we could get rid of the traditional debate mold and ask real questions and make them sit there until they give a real answer. We could even make it like Millioniare where they get lifelines.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

And set up a 900 number so the national audience can *VOTE* the presidential hopeful off the ballot (at a mere $.99 per vote). Our America needs to blend reality programming with our elective capabilities...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Lets make it entertaining. Liars get spanked by hot chicks.

They get barehanded smacks for using stats that are technically true, but misleading, and paddled with a board for out-and-out lies.

If you manage to get through the debate without lying at all, you get to spank the hot chicks or your opponent.
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

oh, and we need cooler moderators (for the debates, not here). Like pro wrestlers or wookies.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There is a shot in an old sf movie -- 2001 A Space Odyssey, IIRC -- in which a politician is giving a speech while captions on the screen correct his statistics and give labels like "Speculation" and "Untruth" in real time. Maybe in a few more years, speech recognition + AI + the internet will make it possible.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Lights? Bah. Lights are for wimps. What you need is for the candidates to have electrodes attached to their genitals and hooked to a monitoring system and power souce. For each second that they proceed without directly answering the question before them, the juice would get turned up. Only the truly determined would be able to dissemble for long. And it should cut back on sex scandals.
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

Ironrod wrote:There is a shot in an old sf movie -- 2001 A Space Odyssey, IIRC -- in which a politician is giving a speech while captions on the screen correct his statistics and give labels like "Speculation" and "Untruth" in real time. Maybe in a few more years, speech recognition + AI + the internet will make it possible.
Or you could just have color commentators that give play-by-play assessment of the debate.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

If someone could ever figure out a way to make a fantasy league out of politics...

Or hot chicks. Use hot chicks.
18-1™ & 2-0
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Mr. Fed wrote:Lights? Bah. Lights are for wimps. What you need is for the candidates to have electrodes attached to their genitals and hooked to a monitoring system and power souce. For each second that they proceed without directly answering the question before them, the juice would get turned up. Only the truly determined would be able to dissemble for long. And it should cut back on sex scandals.
Even better, simmilar to one from a Doctor Who episode, is to set up every television with a voting system, and after each question is answered, the population gets to vote on who is zapped. Power to the people! :twisted:
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Great idea, RunningMan. :D

And I don't know what movie that was, but it weren't 2001.