Kerry to Concede at 1pm

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Padre

Post by Padre »

Dirt wrote:It's going to be Jeb Bush in 2008.
He ruled himself out publically already, which would seem to be an odd way to launh a campaign for the nomination....
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Padre wrote:
He ruled himself out publically already, which would seem to be an odd way to launh a campaign for the nomination....
If you were 80% loved in Florida and people gave you money to rule them, would you ever quit?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Padre wrote:
Hasn't Hillary denied that she'd run?
jblank

Post by jblank »

The Preacher wrote:
jblank wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:They must have concluded that there aren't enough provisional ballots to change the outcome. Oh well, time to gear up for Hillary in 2008!
If you want us to beat the GOP candidate in '08, you better hope she isnt the candidate.
So are you officially a Democrat now? (Not that I am indicting you, as you probably know) I inferred that it was more of a temporary "anti-Bush" thing.
Officially a Democrat, I will be contacting the TN Dept. of Voter Registration (or its equivilent) to officially change my voter registration. Gonna join the Tennessee Democratic Party after my party registration is changed.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
qp

Post by qp »

Hey is Kerry's conceding to Bush a legally binding thing, ie what would happen now if it was discovered that by some freak of statistics that he actually did have enough votes to win in Ohio?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

qp wrote:Hey is Kerry's conceding to Bush a legally binding thing, ie what would happen now if it was discovered that by some freak of statistics that he actually did have enough votes to win in Ohio?
His electors would go to the Electoral College, and they would vote him in, whether he wanted it or not.

AFAIK, he is honor-bound to his concession, but I doubt that would mean much in the long run. But my guess is that this concession wasn't coming until they knew that there was no chance for the math to work out in their favor.

Does his concession affect Ohio's decision to even dig into the provisional ballots? Aren't those only supposed to be looked at if they could effect the election (which one could argue that they can't, since Kerry has removed himself from the race)?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

jblank wrote:Officially a Democrat, I will be contacting the TN Dept. of Voter Registration (or its equivilent) to officially change my voter registration. Gonna join the Tennessee Democratic Party after my party registration is changed.
Huh, how about that. Leaving us Libertarians in a lurch, you bastard! Why do you hate America?

;)
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Didn't Gore concede only to take it back only to concede again?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

jblank wrote:Officially a Democrat, I will be contacting the TN Dept. of Voter Registration (or its equivilent) to officially change my voter registration. Gonna join the Tennessee Democratic Party after my party registration is changed.
OK, we've done the predictions for what the tickets will be in the next presidential election.

Now, what are your predictions for jblank's next party affiliation? ;) I predict that Eduardo_X will recruit him into the anarcho-communist cause.

(No offense jblank, just yanking yer chain!)
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Listening to Edwards now. Is he in a rush to get this over with? He sure is speaking very quickly. Awful delivery.

Pointer
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Good speech. As with Al Gore, his concession is the best speech he ever gave. I don't say that because I'm glad to see him go.

Why is it that so many politicians only become real people when it's too late?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Kerry showed genuine emotion in his concession. This obviously means that the charges against him are irrefutably true: he is weak and spineless, and America is better off with a macho cowboy in the White House. :wink:
Padre

Post by Padre »

It wasn't an awesome speech, butt was still pretty good. Wish I'd seen it on TV sounded like Kerry was getting pretty choked up there. But overall, it was delivered with dignity.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Tareeq wrote:Good speech. As with Al Gore, his concession is the best speech he ever gave. I don't say that because I'm glad to see him go.

Why is it that so many politicians only become real people when it's too late?
Agree on all points.

I think it's probably because they stop listening to their handlers and just speak from their hearts.