OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by coopasonic »

I will offer Blackhawk a commission for painted minis though. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote::(

I guess I'll just have to pay Blackhawk to paint them for me.
Two sets Blackhawk!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here you go, coop. A guy bought a custom Burgle Bros setup from etsy.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Here you go, coop. A guy bought a custom Burgle Bros setup from etsy.
damn you for sending me on an hour long adventure through /r/boardgames... I have work to do!

Also, that is pretty cool, but I'll wait for a more elegant (and portable) solution... I can't imagine what it is, but there has to be something. If I were able to host a game group and could keep it set up on a sideboard I think it would be pretty cool. One day.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It looks pretty portable to me.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah and then you have to set it up and tear it down.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Life is tough.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

#boardgamertroubles
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

More spoiler-free discussion of Pandemic: Legacy:

So after crushing June and July we figured we'd be royally screwed for August, but decided to give it our best shot.

Not only did we win August, we won HANDILY. Completely crushed it. We were all sitting around kind of shocked, because we thought we were way overdue for a sound ass-whipping.

Turns out we were just a month off. :D

September came in and humbled us. What's INCREDIBLY frustrating is that we literally lost by one card. One bad draw gave us our final outbreak - a draw that had we survived, we would have won. The cards were in our hand, all that remained was getting to our next player. We will start next week attempting it again.

Current record:

Total games: 7-5
Month W/L: 7-1 (with half month remaining to play)
Last edited by YellowKing on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Last night I played the "assist your wife bring a new gamer into the world." Now I only have to wait 7-8 years for her to be my gaming buddy!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

baelthazar wrote:Last night I played the "assist your wife bring a new gamer into the world." Now I only have to wait 7-8 years for her to be my gaming buddy!
That's a really great co-op game, although frankly a bit too stressful for my taste. I prefer the prequel.

Congratulations!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Congrats, man! :D
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Must be a thing around oo right now. Played the same game 3 weeks ago, now just the waiting. Though I've found a few games I might be able to start a couple years younger...
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Also on the bg front I managed to find a kickstarter copy of Carson city big box with all stretch goals. I missed the kickstarter but played the game recently and really loved it. Either placement with tile laying and mild direct conflict? Yes please. I would have been fine with a retail version but was very happy to find the kickstarter version.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

GOT A BEAST BOY TODAY!
FOUND A "PLAYSET" OF BEAST BOY DICE AND THE RARE CARD ON EBAY!
FOUND THE 3 PROMO TEEN TITANS ON EBAY!!!

Trifecta of TT goodness for me

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahem.

Will be playing Dicemasters this weekend minus those (Should arrive midweek).
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They're running Dice Master rainbow drafts at Origins, and Zarathud and I could squeeze you into our room. I'm just sayin'....
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Sweet. Chaosraven playing Raven. Very meta.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Reading over the rules for Mage Wars: Domination in prep for a game tomorrow. I am really looking forward to getting this on the table finally. I loves me some Mage Wars. I love the idea of Blood Bowl-esque Mage Wars even more.
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hepcat wrote:As the Chicago group well knows, I'm a huge fan of Ignacy's 51st State series of tableau builders. Well, looks like there's an updated version coming called 51st State: The Master Set. I'm just about to dive into the rules, but I'm guessing he's tossed out of some of the more fiddly rules from the original games (the Rule of 3, etc.). Whether or not this will result in a dumbed down experience that takes away from what I always considered "a gamer's game", I don't know yet. I'm still preordering though because for 50 bucks (plus 5 bucks shipping in the U.S.A.) you get two more factions, a bunch of customized tokens, and the gratifying feeling of getting it a month before stores. It's looking like a late April/sometime in May shipping date right now.
Well, crap... sold out. :grund:
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa, didn't expect that. I just assumed that because the publisher was selling it, they'd make more than enough to cover all those pre-orders. :shock:

But it should be in stores about a month after the pre-orders are sent out. And I'm betting the geek store on boardgamegeek.com will have the extra factions that are part of the pre-order rewards, at the very least.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Reading over the rules for Mage Wars: Domination in prep for a game tomorrow. I am really looking forward to getting this on the table finally. I loves me some Mage Wars. I love the idea of Blood Bowl-esque Mage Wars even more.
Well?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, sorry. :lol:

I had a great time with it. Adding variable maps and area control to Mage Wars really spices it up. I can see playing the original version still, but having the ability to mix it up really gives the game even longer legs that it initially had for me.

I will say that the Druid is way too overpowered for it though. She was able to send out her vines to every corner of the map, then use her ability to extend her spell range to wherever she had a vine marker to control a lot of space early in the game. I had plants guarding orbs within 3 or 4 turns. From there I just kept pumping out vine based spells to control orb zones.

Zarathud blocked me in early with a couple of walls of fire using his warlock, but I realized that that would also keep him at bay. So I left them up and just stayed where I was, sending out my vine spells while enjoying a cold one.

Overall, I would say Battlegrounds is a fantastic expansion that adds a lot of choice to what type of game you want to play. Want to make it all about area control? Add in the variant that mage's respawn when killed. That way the only win condition is grabbing and holding orbs. Or just leave mage death in as an optional win condition in addition to orb control.

Two big thumbs up for the expansion! I think it should be on any Mage War players list of essential things.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thanks. I am trying to avoid this because I never play Mage Wars. I think I am waiting for more... something. I don't know what. Maybe for my kids to get older. :P

On a totally unrelated note, has anyone checked out Apex: Theropod Deck-Building Game? I read a couple solo play reviews which has me interested.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only downside to Mage Wars for me is the time commitment. I don't think I've ever finished a game of Mage Wars in less than 4 hours. I can never understand why it takes so long as it doesn't feel like it drags at any point. But when I look at the clock, hours have passed. :?

I've also heard good things about Apex. I was hoping to see it in action at Origins.
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Rebellion and quadropolis arrived today. Quadropolis will hit the table first. Can't wait, game looks fantastic and the rules make it seem fantastic. And the insert... I wish more companies would take days of wonders approach to components and boxes because the insert is of course top notch.
baelthazar

OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by baelthazar »

I can't figure out the draw of Quardropolis. It looks a bit too mathy and the theme seems tacked on. But, then again, I like Five Tribes and that could be accused of being both of those things as well. I look forward to your impressions.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I played the family game "Enchanted Forest" which I picked up during the Amazon board game sale.

The board is made up of a bunch of spaces comprising multiple paths around the board. On one end is a village (starting point), and at the other end is a castle. Scattered around the board are tree figurines, each of which has a unique fairy-tale themed treasure icon on the bottom (glass slipper, magic hat, etc.) There is also a deck of treasure cards, each of which corresponds to one of the treasures hidden under the trees.

At the start of the game, all players start in the village and the first treasure card is flipped. This is now the treasure that everyone is looking for.

On your turn, you roll two dice. You may move forward or backwards, along any path, but you can only travel one direction per die. For instance, if you rolled a 1 and a 5, you could move 6 spaces in one direction, or 1 space in one direction and 5 spaces in another. Your goal is to land on a blue spot next to a tree, which allows you to peek under the tree and see what treasure is hidden beneath it.

When you think you know the location of the treasure matching the upturned treasure card, you must head to the castle. Once at the castle, you may then announce the location of the treasure and if you are right, you keep the treasure card. If you are wrong, you get sent back to the village.

The first player to correctly locate three treasures wins.

Simple enough, but there are some wrinkles that provide a little more depth:

- If you roll doubles, you may immediately move to a tree and peek at the treasure, OR immediately move to a designated space close to the castle, OR change the current treasure card by flipping over a new one.

- If you land on another player, they get sent back to the village.

The key to the game is keeping the treasure locations a secret, and memorizing what is where. Young players can play it straight (my kids couldn't help but announce to the world what the treasures were), but older players can be very secretive and deceptive. Older players can also be more strategic in changing treasure cards when they suspect someone knows a location, or sending players back to the village to prevent them from finding or turning in treasures.

Component-wise the game is great for kids. The cards are thick and sturdy, the tree components are hard plastic and well-made, and the player tokens are sturdy. My kids are really rough on board games, and this is one I wasn't worried about leaving them alone with. I can't count the number of kid games I've opened that use bendable cardboard player tokens and flimsy cards that I know will be bent up or destroyed after a couple of game sessions.

My kids are 6 and 4, and while it skewed too old for my 4-year old, my 6-year old was just on the cusp of really understanding the "keep things secret" strategy. I think it's a good gateway game for her to graduate from some of the kindergarten-level games we own. The thing she had the toughest time with was choosing the best path for the dice rolls - there are SO many path options (and spots require landing by exact count), that you really have to study the board to optimize your move.

Fun family game though, and well worth the $12 I spent.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We've had this game in my family for...well, it seems like forever. We had it before we had kids, it was a gift to my wife from one of her sisters I believe. It is a beautiful little game...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm too lazy to create a thread and couldn't decided where it would go anyway, but the Pathfinder Adventures app has been released (Pathfinder Adventure Card Game for iOS and Android).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pathfin ... d966333863

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dian.pacg1
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Swweeeetttt...thanks, man!

edit: Yikes! 25 bucks for the Rise of the Runelords bundle? :shock:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Swweeeetttt...thanks, man!

edit: Yikes! 25 bucks for the Rise of the Runelords bundle? :shock:
First taste is free, man...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, they do give you pretty much everything with that 25 bucks. The full adventure list (as it releases), character add on, etc..

I'll probably continue to play the first two base sets I have to completion. But future base sets I'll probably pick up on this service.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I'll bite on the first taste at least...
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Managed to make it to my monthly board game day today. Had a bad cold last time. Got a different cold this time, but I'm on back side, not so bad now. A little late and didn't stay til the end this time (had kid w/, who didn't want to stay the full time).

Kid's into Magic the Gathering now (fortunately for her, I had about 6 decks worth of cards from around 1994-1995 when I tried it out). She got a few more trading the old cards with a teacher who runs some magic stuff at her school. I'm not much of player and do not know a lot about optimal deck construction, but she found someone who played some and helped her a little today and played a couple games with him, so she had a lot of fun. I'd played one game with her at the start of our time as well.

I played Pandemic: Contagion. 3 times. Other than 1 round of MtG w/ the kid, that's all I played. Fortunately, I greatly enjoyed it and had lots of fun with it. Won the second and third games. First game was the first game for all 4 players (they just opened the shrink wrap and figured it there).

Honorable mention to OrcWars (from Dragon Magazine back in the late 80's/early 90's). Someone had that there today, I was too late to join them for that. I had it (might still someplace if I didn't throw it out), but never played it other than with myself. Read through the rules and watched them play for a bit. Looked like they were having quite a bit of fun with it.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Zenn7, I am in Dearborn if you ever want pointers for current MtG tips etc.

Spent the evening playing Dicemasters with my old friend.
My Teen Titans worked amazingly against his XMen.
Tried out an All Same Energy Type group, discovered the costs were too high, needs modification.
He tried his Mostly Same Energy and it worked very well, until it met my JLA Team.

Traded a few cards and dice, had a great time.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be at a Pokemon birthday party for my oldest this afternoon. The Fish turned 9 and someone will be teaching them Pokemon at the Chicago West Loop FLGS.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played Zombicide: Black Plague with Z(6) and X(9) last weekend. The little one begged me to teach mommy all week. On Saturday, we got mommy involved in a game. It was possibly the easiest non-tutorial play I have ever had (partially because twice I forgot to spawn zombies). After that we went into Ticket to Ride mode. Despite the fact that I have 5 different version/maps, we played vanilla.

On Sunday, X(9) wanted more TtR so we played Nordic Countries two player and then Heart of Africa. It was my first play of Heart of Africa and I don't think it was interesting. I am looking forward to trying out the UK map, though I think it might work out to be a bit heavy for the family. We would have tried it after Africa, but my victory left my son in tears (literally). He was one action away from completing a 19 point ticket. He still wouldn't have won, but he was still pretty upset.

I think we need to get another co-op out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Uk is my favorite version currently. It's the heaviest version to date.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Chaosraven wrote:Zenn7, I am in Dearborn if you ever want pointers for current MtG tips etc.
Thanks for the offer CR, my daughter would probably jump at it if I tell her. Might take you up on it some time - preferably sometime when we can maybe hang out for a bit and play some games rather than just get pointers... :).
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Let me know, I am usually home in the weekday evenings by 6pm and have weekends free.

Lots of game stores around to hang out and play.
"Where are you off to?"