Grundbegriff

Re: The Resistance: Avalon

Post by Grundbegriff »

Would you believe... 6:45PM EST?

Grundbegriff

Re: The Resistance: Avalon: Boilerplate

Post by Grundbegriff »

Boilerplate: Evil:
  • You are a Minion of Mordred. A, B, and C share your devotion.
  • You are Mordred. Merlin does not know you are devoted to the fall of Camelot. A, B, and C share your devotion.
  • You are Morgana, devoted to Mordred. To that loathsome goody-two-shoes Percival, you look like Merlin. A, B, and C share your devotion.
Boilerplate: Good:
  • You are a Loyal Servant of King Arthur.
  • You are Percival, You're pretty good at noticing Merlin when others do not, but today your vision seems cloudy. You're sure he's either A or B (given in alphabetical order). Or maybe your Aunt Estelle.
  • You are Merlin. The evils are A, B, and C... You sense that there's another, but cannot make out his face as you peer back into the future.
The game includes all the above. So:

Good: Merlin, Percival, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant
Evil: Mordrassin, Morgana, Minion, Minion

All role-related messages are queued up for delivery. When the last has been checked, I'll start the game.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am here milord!
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Here.

Also, another question: does the Lady of the Lake scan reveal role (e.g., Morgana), or just alignment?
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Re: The Resistance: Avalon: Roles

Post by Grundbegriff »

Grundbegriff wrote: Immediately after a relevant quest, the Lady of the Lake asks the Moderator for the true alignment of exactly one other player who has never been the Lady of the Lake.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote: Immediately after a relevant quest, the Lady of the Lake asks the Moderator for the true alignment of exactly one other player who has never been the Lady of the Lake.
All right, so no role information then. Just trying to help ol' Percival out.

Also, what does "true" alignment mean? Just that you promise not to lie to us?
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:Also, what does "true" alignment mean? Just that you promise not to lie to us?
Ok-- this time you get complete sentences rather than a snarky self-quote. In general, it means I won't lie, but it also means that there's a limit to Morgana's magic.

Suppose the game includes Percival and Morgana (which it does). Morgana (whose true alignment is evil) looks like Merlin to Percival. So one might say Morgana also has a false alignment: good.

Which one will the moistened bint discern when she lobs her scimitar at Morgana?

Even more exciting: what if the player who is Percival becomes (or already is!) the Lady of the Lake and scans Morgana? In general, wouldn't it be interesting to scan someone you think is Merlin and to find out that that target is evil?

So the crux of the matter is this: does Morgana's magic work even against the Lady of the Lake? The answer is that it does not. The Lady of the Lake can see through Morgana's illusion.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

When a team is ACCEPTED, a clock starts. Quest votes are registered automatically for all the team members: good players automatically vote SUCCEED and evil players automatically vote FAIL without doing anything. So there's really nothing to do unless an evil wants to hide among the goods by voting for the quest to SUCCEED.

To allow cover for that PM to occur, we need to let the clock run for a while. It must run long enough for any evil player on the team to PM me if that player wishes.

How long should the period from start of quest to quest result announcment be?
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Loyal servant reporting for duty!
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Grundbegriff wrote:When a team is ACCEPTED, a clock starts. Quest votes are registered automatically for all the team members: good players automatically vote SUCCEED and evil players automatically vote FAIL without doing anything. So there's really nothing to do unless an evil wants to hide among the goods by voting for the quest to SUCCEED.

To allow cover for that PM to occur, we need to let the clock run for a while. It must run long enough for any evil player on the team to PM me if that player wishes.

24 hours would be my vote
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Also, what does "true" alignment mean? Just that you promise not to lie to us?
Ok-- this time you get complete sentences rather than a snarky self-quote. In general, it means I won't lie, but it also means that there's a limit to Morgana's magic.

Suppose the game includes Percival and Morgana (which it does). Morgana (whose true alignment is evil) looks like Merlin to Percival. So one might say Morgana also has a false alignment: good.

Which one will the moistened bint discern when she lobs her scimitar at Morgana?

Even more exciting: what if the player who is Percival becomes (or already is!) the Lady of the Lake and scans Morgana? In general, wouldn't it be interesting to scan someone you think is Merlin and to find out that that target is evil?

So the crux of the matter is this: does Morgana's magic work even against the Lady of the Lake? The answer is that it does not. The Lady of the Lake can see through Morgana's illusion.
I like how you set up dramatic tension within your post before revealing the answer at the end.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

bb2112 wrote:Loyal servant reporting for duty!
That's exactly what an evil person would say.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

bb2112 wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:When a team is ACCEPTED, a clock starts. Quest votes are registered automatically for all the team members: good players automatically vote SUCCEED and evil players automatically vote FAIL without doing anything. So there's really nothing to do unless an evil wants to hide among the goods by voting for the quest to SUCCEED.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. At a minimum since we have at least one person (Chaosraven) who cannot reliably access OO during the day, it needs to encompass at least one evening.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

El Guapo wrote:
Mordred says what?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

bb2112 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Mordred says what?
bb2112 wrote:what?
Game set match.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

There's no deliberation or debate involved, so 24 hours seems good to me.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

So the next step is for stessier to nominate his 4 companions? We then PM our vote to Grund who announces pass or fail and who votes which way? If it passes then they start their quest with another vote between the quest members?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:So the next step is for stessier to nominate his 4 companions? We then PM our vote to Grund who announces pass or fail and who votes which way? If it passes then they start their quest with another vote between the quest members?
Yes (other than deciding on the length of the "reasonable period), except that the first quest is a party of three, so stessier will nominate two companions. I guess I'm assuming that the Quest Leader needs to include himself (rather than leading from behind).
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Moliere wrote:So the next step is for stessier to nominate his 4 companions?
The next step is for me to kick off the game with some irrelevant, time-wasting thematic filler. Then the first leader will try to form a team.
We then PM our vote to Grund who announces pass or fail and who votes which way?
Right.
If it passes then they start their quest with another vote between the quest members?
Wrong. See the Q & A.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:Yes (other than deciding on the length of the "reasonable period), except that the first quest is a party of three, so stessier will nominate two companions.
The Leader doesn't have to go on the quest. So it's more accurate to say that the Leader will nominate an appropriately-sized team possibly including himself.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Yes (other than deciding on the length of the "reasonable period), except that the first quest is a party of three, so stessier will nominate two companions.
The Leader doesn't have to go on the quest. So it's more accurate to say that the Leader will nominate an appropriately-sized team possibly including himself.
So it's more like a quest organizer.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
So it's more like a quest organizer.
I prefer Impresario of Adventure. Or Brave Sir Robin....
See Loop.A.1.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grundbegriff wrote:
If it passes then they start their quest with another vote between the quest members?
Wrong. See the Q & A.
The people on the chosen team vote for the success of their quest.
Q: What exactly do we do in the Quest phase?
A: If you're not on the chosen team, you do nothing. If you're on the chosen team and you're good, you do nothing. If you're on the chosen team and you're evil and you want the quest to FAIL, you do nothing. If you're on the chosen team and you're evil and you want the quest to SUCCEED, then you must PM the Moderator to say so before the deadline!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Moliere wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Wrong. See the Q & A.
The people on the chosen team vote for the success of their quest.
Automatically, according to alignment-- with no input from the actual player. Unless the Evil (if any) wants to vote for success. Only in that case does someone send a PM.

Think of it this way: Team Formation is where the gameplay occurs. The so-called quest is just a pretext for revealing what kind of team was assembled.

Plus a little wiggle room in case Evil isn't in the mood for sabotage.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Still waiting for some folks to read their mail.
stessier

Post by stessier »

bb2112 wrote:

Yeah, I wish it could be less, but that would be my suggestion.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Moliere wrote:So the next step is for stessier to nominate his 4 companions? We then PM our vote to Grund who announces pass or fail and who votes which way? If it passes then they start their quest with another vote between the quest members?
There are only 3 people involved in this first quest, right?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

stessier wrote:
There are only 3 people involved in this first quest, right?
Yes, and I would suggest putting El Guapo in the first group. It is going to be important to get a read on our Lady of the Lake. Besides if he is evil and wants to hide by voting for success, then Huzzah! At least that is one for the good guys. I will also volunteer since I know I'm good, but that is up to you.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Pick me! Pick me!
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

My thought is El Guapo and Holman. El Guapo for Lady reasons, and Holman because he is a possible leader after the second Quest - meaning Lady could scan him before his turn.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:My thought is El Guapo and Holman. El Guapo for Lady reasons, and Holman because he is a possible leader after the second Quest - meaning Lady could scan him before his turn.
Makes sense. We have no information yet about alignment, so Lady status and quest leadership order seem like pretty logical bases for picking a team.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

stessier wrote:My thought is El Guapo and Holman. El Guapo for Lady reasons, and Holman because he is a possible leader after the second Quest - meaning Lady could scan him before his turn.
I'm good with that. We are going to have to start trying different combinations to find out what is going to work, and picking upcoming Quest leaders is probably a good idea.

Grund: Just to make sure I have this straight in my head. If a Quest fails, do we get the votes of each person on the quest, or do we just get an answer back like, 2 Yes, 1 No?

If it is the latter, I would have to agree with Stess' earlier comment that this will be near impossible, but if it is the former, it seems almost too easy.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:There are only 3 people involved in this first quest, right?
Enlarge Image
Cick to embiggen.

The large row of numbers indicates the size of the party.
The small row of numbers indicates successive failed votes (with 5 in red because it's a victory condition for Evil).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

bb2112 wrote:
I'm good with that. We are going to have to start trying different combinations to find out what is going to work, and picking upcoming Quest leaders is probably a good idea.

Grund: Just to make sure I have this straight in my head. If a Quest fails, do we get the votes of each person on the quest, or do we just get an answer back like, 2 Yes, 1 No?

If it is the latter, I would have to agree with Stess' earlier comment that this will be near impossible, but if it is the former, it seems almost too easy.
Ooh! Ooh! I can do the snarky quote first!
B.1. The members of the Quest vote secretly on whether the Quest succeeds or fails. A single FAILURE vote sabotages the quest. Since members of the Good team must always vote for SUCCESS, the Good players do not have to take action at this point. If the quest party includes a member of the Evil team, the Evil player(s) may either do nothing (resulting in an automatic FAILURE vote) or PM the Moderator to register a SUCCESS vote.

B.2. After a designated time has passed, the Moderator will announce how many SUCCESS votes and how many FAILURE votes occurred. (If all quest party members passively accept the defaults, then the vote count will match their alignments). The Moderator will not reveal who voted which way. A Quest fails if the FAILURE count is greater than 0 (except on the 4th Quest, which fails only if the FAILURE count is greater than 1).
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

bb2112 wrote:Grund: Just to make sure I have this straight in my head. If a Quest fails, do we get the votes of each person on the quest, or do we just get an answer back like, 2 Yes, 1 No?
It works just like elections in Secret Hitler. Everyone PMs the Moderator; once all votes are in, the Moderator shows how everyone voted by name and vote.
Grundbegriff

Re: The Resistance: Avalon: Quest !

Post by Grundbegriff »

Quest 1

Knights of the Elliptoid Table! Merlin has discerned that you must go on a quest to return the Chalice of Malice to the Palace. It's a lengthy trip, so carry little ballast. Not to be pessimistic, but there will be choices to make and forks in the road, and they're liable to be difficult. If you don't believe me, go ask Alice.

stessier: please form a fellowship of 3 (by using the accuse tag on their names).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
bb2112 wrote:Grund: Just to make sure I have this straight in my head. If a Quest fails, do we get the votes of each person on the quest, or do we just get an answer back like, 2 Yes, 1 No?
It works just like elections in Secret Hitler. Everyone PMs the Moderator; once all votes are in, the Moderator shows how everyone voted by name and vote.
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

Grundbegriff wrote:B.1. The members of the Quest vote secretly on whether the Quest succeeds or fails. A single FAILURE vote sabotages the quest. Since members of the Good team must always vote for SUCCESS, the Good players do not have to take action at this point. If the quest party includes a member of the Evil team, the Evil player(s) may either do nothing (resulting in an automatic FAILURE vote) or PM the Moderator to register a SUCCESS vote.

B.2. After a designated time has passed, the Moderator will announce how many SUCCESS votes and how many FAILURE votes occurred. (If all quest party members passively accept the defaults, then the vote count will match their alignments). The Moderator will not reveal who voted which way. A Quest fails if the FAILURE count is greater than 0 (except on the 4th Quest, which fails only if the FAILURE count is greater than 1).
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:

Grundbegriff wrote:B.1. The members of the Quest vote secretly on whether the Quest succeeds or fails. A single FAILURE vote sabotages the quest. Since members of the Good team must always vote for SUCCESS, the Good players do not have to take action at this point. If the quest party includes a member of the Evil team, the Evil player(s) may either do nothing (resulting in an automatic FAILURE vote) or PM the Moderator to register a SUCCESS vote.

BB2112 is asking if the votes to determine if the Quest goes forward (ie. - if stessier, El Guapo, and Holman are allowed to Quest) are made public while you are quoting if the Quest succeeds (ie. how stessier, El Guapo, and Holman vote on our little jaunt).

In the first case, everyone votes by PMing the Mod and the votes are revealed. In the second case...well, you quoted it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:

BB2112 is asking if the votes to determine if the Quest goes forward (ie. - if stessier, El Guapo, and Holman are allowed to Quest) are made public while you are quoting if the Quest succeeds (ie. how stessier, El Guapo, and Holman vote on our little jaunt).

In the first case, everyone votes by PMing the Mod and the votes are revealed. In the second case...well, you quoted it.

No, bb2112 is asking about whether the votes for the quest to succeed or fail are made public:

Black Lives Matter.