MTV voter registrations not valid?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Raven_13

MTV voter registrations not valid?

Post by Raven_13 »

Hi all, I'm not a political person but I had to post this here because it's driving me crazy. I can't find anything about this anywhere else, so I was wondering if anyone had heard about it or had it happen to them.

My girlfriend went to vote after work here in Wilmington, DE and told me that there was a young woman (college-age) in front of her who was turned away for not being registered. After she left, one of the polling place workers told the other one that this woman had registered to vote through MTV, but in actuality was not registered. He went on to say that "none" of the people who claimed to have registered on MTV were in fact registered to vote. I thought that this was pretty alarming, but then I heard on the radio this morning that youth voter turnout was far less than was predicted.

So I'm wondering, is it possible that most or all of the people who registered through MTV in fact were unable to vote yesterday? I would think that that would be a huge blow to Kerry, since most young people seem to vote liberal/democrat.

BTW, the woman in front of my girlfriend was apparently not offered a provisional ballot.
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

This is a public service announcement
With guitar
Know your rights all three of them

Number 1
You have the right not to be killed
Murder is a crime!
Unless it was done by a
Policeman or aristocrat
Know your rights

And number 2
You have the right to food money
Providing of course you
Don’t mind a little
Investigation, humiliation
And if you cross your fingers
Rehabilitation

Know your rights
These are your rights
Wang

Know these rights

Number 3
You have the right to free
Speech as long as you’re not
Dumb enough to actually try it.

Know your rights
These are your rights
All three of ’em
It has been suggested
In some quarters that this is not enough!
Well..............................

Get off the streets
Get off the streets
Run
You don’t have a home to go to
Smush

Finally then I will read you your rights

You have the right to remain silent
You are warned that anything you say
Can and will be taken down
And used as evidence against you

Listen to this
Run
~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Just guessing here, but if "through MTV" = "through MTV's website" then the problem may have been that the young woman didn't actually mail anything in.

I don't think any of these "Vote or Die" type web jobbies actually registered you to vote. They basically filled out the registration form for you, emailed you a copy, then gave you instructions on how to mail it in.
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

Ok, so then it would be human error on the part of the voter for not being registered. This makes sense to me. Thanks Kathode.
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Raven_13 wrote:Thanks Kathode.
You're very welcome and I need a more distinctive username. :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sounds like a nice way to supress the vote for a specific demographic. Doesn't Viacom own MTV?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Sounds like a nice way to supress the vote for a specific demographic. Doesn't Viacom own MTV?
:shock:

This forum has degenerated into MTV being a political trick FOR Bush?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

noxiousdog wrote:This forum has degenerated into MTV being a political trick FOR Bush?
Don't lump everyone into that train of thought. Only a few people are seriously proposing it.

Sort of an ironic (in an Alynis sort of way) thought, though. MTV gets a whole pile of the uneducated to think they've registered to vote, only to find out they can't just sign on to a website and be done with it. Apathy does *not* rule the day...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Austin

Post by Austin »

Are our kids so dumb that they can't figure out how to register to vote? They can find and download the latest movies, music and software but can't use google to find out the legal way of registering to vote? MTV shouldn't have to do it for them.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unless you think MTV could have scrounged up 4 million votes for Kerry, I don't think it matter much either way.

Despite record turnouts and 7 million more people voting in 2004 than in 2000, the youth vote again (just as it does every single election year) failed to materialize.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

From the MTV website:
Getting registered to vote may seem complicated, but in most cases it's as easy as point, click, print, mail. Here's how you do it:

Get Registered Online.

* Click here to get to the Choose or Lose online voter registration form.
* Select your state and fill out the form.
* Print out your completed form.
* Drop it in the mail. The address is provided on the printout.
Now, if the forms were dropped in the mail and not registered that's one thing. But if a person expected to just register online and be done with it...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Sounds like a nice way to supress the vote for a specific demographic. Doesn't Viacom own MTV?
:shock:

This forum has degenerated into MTV being a political trick FOR Bush?

No, no I'm not saying MTV is for Bush, just that it would be an interesting scam and that MTV isn't crazy, hippy, left MTV, it's a Viacom corporation. Christ.

I will state that the current MTV generation is so used to online transactions that there is surely a fair amount that filled out the form and thought they were done. Careful observers will see opportunities in future elections.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

siljanus wrote:From the MTV website:
Getting registered to vote may seem complicated, but in most cases it's as easy as point, click, print, mail. Here's how you do it:

Get Registered Online.

Now, if the forms were dropped in the mail and not registered that's one thing. But if a person expected to just register online and be done with it...
It doesn't say that you need to apply postage! CALL ATRIOS!
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

The Meal wrote: Sort of an ironic (in an Alynis sort of way) thought, though. MTV gets a whole pile of the uneducated to think they've registered to vote, only to find out they can't just sign on to a website and be done with it. Apathy does *not* rule the day...
While I don't think there was any sort of grand Bush/Puff Daddy conspiracy going on here, and I highly doubt this influenced the election much one way or another, I've got a feeling it just wasn't the "uneducated" that were confused by this.

There were big flashing "REGISTER TO VOTE" banners on half the websites I visited over the past few months. They should've read "INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE".

I actually used one for an address change & was curious to how I could do it via the web without having to sign anything. Of course, it turns out you can't (at least in NJ), but I can definitely see how a first time voter or the non-computer savvy could've been confused on how the process was supposed to work.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Tareeq wrote:
siljanus wrote:From the MTV website:

Get Registered Online.

It doesn't say that you need to apply postage! CALL ATRIOS!
DUDE! WHAT'S THIS POSTAGE THING? I HAVE SOME POSTS ON THIS OCTOPUS FORUM. WILL THAT COVER IT?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?