Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

Post by GreenGoo »

Just a little farther tonight. Arrived at Jeet's after engaging a couple of cars on the way there. Tested and then field tested the sniper rifle at the Jaw, and that's it for me tonight.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Only about 4 hours in, but I'm loving this game so far. It's filling a spot that hasn't been touched since the days of I76. I happen to love the Batman games and enjoyed the hell out of Shadow of Mordor, so I guess it's not really a surprise that the style of this game clicks with me as well. I guess my only complaint so far is that it almost feels too open to start. With the car, you have the ability to cross a significant amount of space -- totally different than Mordor or Batman. I'm hesitant to just follow the story quests but I also know that I won't be able to unlock skills or abilities until I do so. Regardless, having a blast.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming up on 18 hours and I still haven't done all that much for the story. Been focusing all my attention on exploring scrap locations, killing snipers and clearing enemy lairs for my buddy Jeet. As a result my car isn't really leveled all that much, but Max is pretty damn powerful. This type of game (where they just give you tons of non-story related stuff to do on a giant map) is my kryptonite. I'm like a monkey, bouncing around between all the various points. I keep telling myself I'm going to work on the story, but then I find another place to explore and lose myself for another hour or two. The world design is fantastic -- old rusted ships or containers that go deep under the desert manage to surprise me every time. Absolutely love this game.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:Coming up on 18 hours and I still haven't done all that much for the story. Been focusing all my attention on exploring scrap locations, killing snipers and clearing enemy lairs for my buddy Jeet. As a result my car isn't really leveled all that much, but Max is pretty damn powerful. This type of game (where they just give you tons of non-story related stuff to do on a giant map) is my kryptonite. I'm like a monkey, bouncing around between all the various points. I keep telling myself I'm going to work on the story, but then I find another place to explore and lose myself for another hour or two. The world design is fantastic -- old rusted ships or containers that go deep under the desert manage to surprise me every time. Absolutely love this game.
If you want to lose yourself try driving off the map into the Big Nothing. :twisted:

I found that I cleared 100% of Jeet's territory and less of each successive territory. The reward didn't seem worth it after I experienced clearing one zone.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Game is starting to grow on me. I'm just wandering the wastelands clearing out snipers, scrap sites and the occasional base.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I decide to go after my first convoy and after about 20 circuits of the route, I manage to take out all his guards and disable his truck. I drive the truck on 3 wheels back to Jeet's only to discover...nothing. Apparently I was supposed to destroy the truck, not recover it.

Ah well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You destroy it and take it's hood ornament. Each one if you install it on your car front or back gives you buffs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moliere wrote:I found that I cleared 100% of Jeet's territory and less of each successive territory. The reward didn't seem worth it after I experienced clearing one zone.
It's very much more-of-the-same, but I can't stop doing it all. Just finished the last upgrade for Gutgash and now I need to clear out the named bad guys and minefields. I'm like a monkey with all this stuff - I have to do it. About the only thing I have zero interest in is car racing. I will say that every time I leave a War Crier hanging (after clearing out bad guys) I laugh at his comments. It's a nice touch...before he gets blow'd up. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I stopped going to a lot of the salvage sites but I do the races for free gas and I love sniping snipers and pulling down totems still. Ive gotten to despise convoys though. They have gotten too big to manage with what few explody poons I have.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't even have Thunderpoons. 10 shot gun shells, fully upgraded tire shredders and a level 6 harpoon It's just a matter of whittling them away. About the only thing that's killing me is Chum's slow repair speed -- which I think upgrades as part of a story quest. But My car and Max are ridiculously power leveled and it's a total blast.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have all that minus the shotgun ammo..never have any....and I get my ass kicked. Im always on fire and exploding and having Chum slowly repair while the convoy passes out of site. His repair is dreadfully slow. I do have the fire ports on the sides but I tried that...hardly any damage and I ran out of gas.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I don't use the fire - it's a gas hog. With the upgraded harpoon and shot gun shells all you need to do is either one-shot the tanks on the weaker cars or use the harpoon to remove the tires on the protected ones. It's almost too easy now. When that fails, grinding them into oblivion always works. Hell, the last convoy I took out was during one of those crazy storms. That was actually challenging, but the storm hurts them as much as it hurt me, so it all worked out. Regardless, harpooning guys out from behind the wheel never grows old. Never. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya lol. I like to get out and fight a bunch at a time too. Usually happens when the car is on a fire and poor Chum is on the hood working away. I actually had the car explode as I was exiting it once and parts went all over. Yet after a moment there was the car and Chum working away at it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wasn't planning on it, but I managed to completely lower the threat to zero in Gutgash's region (the second area). I didn't collect all the scrap, but everything else (history pieces, snipers, minefields, etc...) are all cleared. I was starting to feel like maybe it would just be more of the same for area three (Pink Eye) but now that I'm there...I'm already starting to collect and clear everything again. Now that I can continue to upgrade the car and actually start racing around on asphalt? Truly, this is the game that keeps on giving. All that being said, it's absolutely very repetitive and I can see where people might become bored. But for me, it's hitting all the right spots in my brain, so I'll keep at it like a monkey. I will say that this new area's difficulty feels significantly harder than Gutgash. I had the same feeling when I first started his area, but these new armored cars are really not amused with the tricks I was able to pull in the last area and don't go down nearly as easy.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:these new armored cars are really not amused with the tricks I was able to pull in the last area and don't go down nearly as easy.
It definitely takes a few extra harpoons to first pull off their door and then yank the driver from his moving vehicle.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had become quite happy just yanking tires off - worked great for the battle right in front of the Jaw. After your car doesn't move, I smash it into oblivion at my leisure. The idea that I need to now circle around a whole bunch of times before making the kill is just annoying. :D

I will say the new convoys look to be another step up in difficulty and I don't think I can tackle them until Chum is given his holy welder or blessed torx kit and air wrench.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant do convoys even with the thunderpoon. Tired and all are armored and wont come off and I cant grab the drivers. Takes a lot of work.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've just started doing missions around Pink Eye's and I'm level 6 Road Warrior with almost 6k scrap. Seems like I'm going to run out of room for upgrades and such before I finish the game.

I desperately need the Big Chief as the V6 is struggling with all the steel I've strapped to the body.

I've refused to take the Disarm on any Parry skill because I like the idea that I have to nail a perfect parry to get the weapon. Just hitting Y without at least trying to time it seems too easy.

I'm not sure what to do with the Scarecrows around Pink Eye. They are heavily fortified and can't be pulled down. I've thrown some thunderpoons at them and the seem to take damage but they haven't fallen. I found some barrels around one and the explosion took the scarecrow down but that was just one and just lucky.

Maybe a rank 6 harpoon?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just pulled them down.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote:Maybe a rank 6 harpoon?
Yeah, you're going to need a bigger 'poon and the answer is absolutely Rank 6. I'm able to pull down all of the Scarecrows without a problem with it maxed out. I hear you about the V8 -- I think that's part of my problem too with the new enemy cars. They're definitely edging me out with speed and I don't dare drop my armor down for fear that I'll be a rolling glass cannon.

You might change your mind after some of the fights regarding be able to parry. I just cleared an oil pumping station earlier this evening that was harder than some of the mini-boss battles because it was at least 5 waves of 8+ guys at a time.
Brian

Post by Brian »

If I remember correctly, to get the V8 you have to run the race at Gastown which a lot of people found difficul . It took me three tries I think.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Toe

Post by Toe »

Brian wrote:If I remember correctly, to get the V8 you have to run the race at Gastown which a lot of people found difficul . It took me three tries I think.
That is where I am stuck. Changed some stuff on my car to increase handling and such, but still not even getting close to beating it. Probably the end of the fury road for me as this much frustration makes it just not worth it to me. Still got a decent amount of enjoyment out of the hours I put in though.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Brian wrote:If I remember correctly, to get the V8 you have to run the race at Gastown which a lot of people found difficul . It took me three tries I think.
I deleted the game after about 10 tries.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Geez, you guys are making me nervous. If I have to walk away from a game I've put almost 45 hour into over a car race? To say I'd be disappointed is an understatement.
Brian

Post by Brian »

it's frustrating to be sure but it can be done. Like I said, I was able to beat it on the third try (or so. My memory is unreliable :))

The fight afterwards was actually more frustrating to me than the race was.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm finding the melee fight difficulty swings wildly based on location and the mix of enemies they throw at you. When I'm trying to take down camps, the skull ratings don't really seem to apply in the way I'm thinking. As I mentioned earlier, the one camp I cleared had like 5 waves of 8+ guys -- they just continued to jump into an arena-like area from shipping containers that formed a barrier to the oil pump. That fight was harder than taking down a mini-boss in the Gutgash region. I seem to remember that also being the case for many of the Batman fights - you can get overwhelmed and knocked out a rhythm very quickly if you're not careful fighting 5+ guys. That being said, I think I'm a level 22 Road Warrior at this point - I was maxed out on my Griffa tokens before meeting Pink Eye, so in general the fights are too bad for me. But car racing? I guess we'll see. I'm still recommending it as a game as it's been an absolute blast.

I was thinking last night one of my favorite things is the scenery and general lair design. Essentially, you can sit on top of a dune or rock outcropping and look out on the horizon and see plumes of smoke or birds circling and they absolutely are things you can investigate. Additionally, many of the scrap locations are really lairs hidden beneath the sand or otherwise buried into a rock face. You get out of the car thinking you're going to just go find a crate of parts next to a tent and instead you're going through a shipping container and into an underground cave complex populated with raiders. I think that alone is why this game speaks to me. As someone that enjoys exploring more than anything else, there's always something new to find...
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I love rolling down a sand covered road, hearing the engine working as the gears shift and the car bounces a little, and know that behind me, in front of me and the left and right of me is all wasteland. It *feels* most like Road Warrior when you're driving.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not really a sound nerd - I typically play with desktop stereo speakers - but this is the first game where I feel like I need to have a giant subwoofer and a much larger range to appreciate the engine sounds. You're right - they're really awesome and I didn't believe at first just how different the car sounds and handles with all the incremental upgrades, but it really does change things when you start swapping around exhaust pipes or tweaking the V6. But yes - hearing the little rattles or gear nuances as your rolling over terrain - it's just another little touch that keeps me engrossed. Without question I feel like I'm in the Mad Max universe, and I think that's an impressive feat. I don't mean to sound like I'm gushing over the game (I mean, I guess I am), but it's really, really good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I feel like Ive had that maxed out V6 forever and I think I have lol.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming up on 50 hours and I've yet to race, but I definitely think I need to explore how to upgrade Chum and get myself a V8. I almost have Pink Eye's region cleared, which is nice. I really love this game so much. Might be in my Top 5 of all time favorite games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Need to get back to it. Been gone too long. I miss the sound of my car even if it is a V6 right now. Last time I went back my salvage teams had been hard at work and I had over 20k on scrap lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been away from the game a good while...like months...and Im sure Im missing more than just this...but I could have sworn there was a way to see a camps list of scrap and such to find in it by hitting a button. I know I can TAB and look there but a lot of times it wont show anything about a camp Im standing in and just tell me about the nearby desert. I could have sworn there was a way that simply listed that particular camps listing of items..Like 2/3 scrap and such.

Also WHY O WHY cant I rebind that TAB key to M for oh I dont know MAP!!???
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

/shrugs shoulders

I click on the right thumbstick and all that data pops up. I have no idea how anyone plays this with a mouse and keyboard. It's perfect with an Xbox360 controller. Perfect.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yeah, this game is the one that finally made me go buy a dedicated XBox controller for the PC.

I ended up using it for GTA V too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And just like that Im back in and having fun. Just cleared Old Hole.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How do I choose a different car body? I collected all the other models and I know its possible to change cars. In the bases if I hit T I can choose others cars Ive returned or the archangels...but I want the corvette and mustang and such......maybe its in my garage menu. I bet thats it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's in the garage menu. Paint colours too.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote:Geez, you guys are making me nervous. If I have to walk away from a game I've put almost 45 hour into over a car race? To say I'd be disappointed is an understatement.

It's mafia 1 all over again. I'm not worried. After beating Witcher 3 I went back to this to play in between The Division. I couldn't make myself go back to fallout 4 after playing witcher 3.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Smoove_B wrote:Geez, you guys are making me nervous. If I have to walk away from a game I've put almost 45 hour into over a car race? To say I'd be disappointed is an understatement.
You basically have to keep on the main bad guy's tail 100% and don't let his escorts sidetrack you. I'd say you don't even need armor for the race, just speed and handling (and the best thunderpoons).
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think ole Chum has been out in the sun too long. He is starting to grate on my 1 nerve. Not long after I get out of the car now he starts in with the "Angel wants us to continue on" or "Are you off in your own world again?" bullshit. I mean Im a few steps from the car fighting. he can SEE me. Its becoming annoying.