American Truck Simulator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: American Truck Simulator

Post by jztemple2 »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:I was always planning to wait for a while to pick this up, and this is one big reason why. I'd like to buy it after it's had a fair amount of DLCs released, so that it's a little more fleshed out.
I'm afraid (for the developers) that this might be the reaction for a lot of folks. Two trucks and two states (with a free third state coming soon) might not be enough gameplay. And it's going to hurt the initial reviews.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: There's a lot more to the article, but the above sums it up. I'm fine with the situation, back in early ETS there were a number of trucks that weren't added till after release. And the developers confirmed that any additional trucks would be added free as an update.

Wow, yeah, that's a downer. That's perhaps the most important detail, one they've kept to the very end? I can see that would likely affect their day-one orders. Still, given the ETS2 modding scene, I could see modders porting their American trucks over, which would dull the anticipation of new trucks a bit.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote:
jztemple2 wrote: There's a lot more to the article, but the above sums it up. I'm fine with the situation, back in early ETS there were a number of trucks that weren't added till after release. And the developers confirmed that any additional trucks would be added free as an update.
Wow, yeah, that's a downer. That's perhaps the most important detail, one they've kept to the very end? I can see that would likely affect their day-one orders. Still, given the ETS2 modding scene, I could see modders porting their American trucks over, which would dull the anticipation of new trucks a bit.
As they mentioned in the article, they have been in negotiations to add other trucks but so far they only have the two. They didn't want folks to be under the impression that ATS would release with more trucks than that, but had hoped that there might be some last minute new additions, so that's why they waited till now.

There will be Steam Workshop support, although I'm not sure it's going to be at launch. This should make adding new fan stuff a lot easier. As you mentioned, it shouldn't be very long before we see some fan built trucks making up for the lack of official trucks.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, if they can add steam workshop ASAP, even if it's a few weeks later, I think ported trucks should be one of the strongest points going forward. Actually, if they knew it was a possibility they wouldn't launch with many trucks, they could have worked with modders to provide them with the necessary details to have them ready at launch. Most of them are already made for ETS2 and likely wouldn't take much to port.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
KDH

Post by KDH »

Rumpy wrote: ........ if they knew it was a possibility they wouldn't launch with many trucks, they could have worked with modders to provide them with the necessary details to have them ready at launch.

my guess would be ... they can't be seen to condone the obfuscation of intellectual property and trademarks .. while in negotiations to respect those same IPs and trademarks.

didn't Mercedes finally come around and OK their name for use in ETS2, a year after release? ... They had some placeholder name for quite a while.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

KDH wrote: my guess would be ... they can't be seen to condone the obfuscation of intellectual property and trademarks .. while in negotiations to respect those same IPs and trademarks.

Oh, that's right. Yeah, that makes sense. Although they've always been friendly to modders.

But yeah, in fact with ETS2, the game originally had generic names for all their truck brands with the real brands slowly coming on board. I preferred that situation as it still gave you trucks to choose and not sure why they decided against doing that this time around.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

So what is the game here? Is it just me driving around California at 65 mph in a big rig? While I can certainly understand the therapeutic nature of doing that - I've used Microsoft Flight Simulator for just that purpose, just randomly flying ultra-lights out of my local airport - but is there more? What's the actual game being played?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it's anything like ETS2, it's also a business management sim.
Try the life of a truck driver for hire. By delivering the cargoes safely and improving your skills, become the owner of your own, successful company!

Build your own fleet of trucks, buy garages, hire drivers, manage your company for maximum profits.
ETS2 had RPG elements, where you can't just hook up that trailer full of hydrochloric acid in antique glassware that has to be there for a JIT resupply. You had to earn XP to select hazardous cargo, fragile cargo, and rush cargoes.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yes it's a tycoon game as well. You don't have to pursue the tycoon portion if you don't want to, you can just act as a driver for hire. Or you can just drive your own big rig and make money to upgrade the rig. Or go the whole tycoon thing, buy garages and buy other trucks and hire other drivers to drive them.

Part of the appeal is dealing with very heavy or awkward cargoes early on when you don't have much in the way of performance in your truck. You get that later on with upgrades like a more powerful motor or a better transmission.

I've seen that in the ATS version they are weigh stations and you can get fined for blowing past them or being overweight for the road you are on. I hope that they develop this further, it's one of the shortcomings of ETS2, in they there is no incentive to go to a destination other than the most direct route.

I'm hoping we see the Utah early. Can't wait to get on the 85mph interstates! :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

RunningMn9 wrote:So what is the game here? Is it just me driving around California at 65 mph in a big rig? While I can certainly understand the therapeutic nature of doing that - I've used Microsoft Flight Simulator for just that purpose, just randomly flying ultra-lights out of my local airport - but is there more? What's the actual game being played?
Late nights hauling cargo and list'nin to country/western music on the radio. Chilling and enjoying the open road and not worrying about something shooting me or telling me that my units are being attacked. At least that's what did it for me in ETS2.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I just realized it's 64-bit only, so looks like I'm out of luck for getting it at launch.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I like the notion, though this would be the first time trying a game like this.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For inspiration, here is my pic from the launch of European Truck Simulator 2:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We can't stop here! This is Carl's Jr. country!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
KDH

Post by KDH »

In the preview video, they show a CHP car roll by .. does anybody know more about that? .. Is that a rolling speed camera?
Rip

Post by Rip »

KDH wrote:In the preview video, they show a CHP car roll by .. does anybody know more about that? .. Is that a rolling speed camera?
That would be awesome. Once you know where the cameras are ETS2 becomes too easy on that front. England has a harder camera layout but in Germany I race camera to camera.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:We can't stop here! This is Carl's Jr. country!
I would have no problem with SCS adding in-game advertising in the form of billboards or actual buildings. It would help with the immersion.
raydude

Post by raydude »

jztemple2 wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:We can't stop here! This is Carl's Jr. country!
I would have no problem with SCS adding in-game advertising in the form of billboards or actual buildings. It would help with the immersion.
Indeed. Although I would sigh as I pass the "In N' Out" signs, knowing that I'm on the other coast unable to partake of their offerings.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The ATS universe should be full of nothing but Taco John's.

:horse:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Do they do CB in these games? Do other truckers warn you about things like speed traps?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote:Do they do CB in these games? Do other truckers warn you about things like speed traps?
I haven't seen any mention of this at all, and it's not in the previous games. In ETS2 there are no cop cars but they do have speed cameras, which I don't think will be a part of ATS. I can't believe they would have included CBs or speed traps and not mention it in the previews, but we'll find out more this weekend as there are a bunch of live streams being held.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The new trailer definitely makes it seem like the CB is back. And actually, it was in one of the games, which was Haulin'. Not sure about Long Haul or any of the others. There were presets where you could ask what the weather was looking like up ahead, or about traffic, or cops, etc. But as far as I remember, it never really any impact on gameplay, ie none of what they said actually corroborated with anything happening in the game, as it was all random.

Here's an example:
Haulin' CB radio
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
KDH

Post by KDH »

The CB radio is such a big part of the trucker mystique, perhaps in Europe too. A little off-topic, but ... one of the best things about Freelancer was listening to the radio chatter of the trading vessels hoping that they didn't screw-the-pooch on this trading run.

so .. a little generic chatter mixed with a little specific chatter could be done ... but I wouldn't hold my breath .. voice acting is a little daunting for small budget companies
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: Squirrel .. again

Image - <------ American Truck Simulator REVIEW and GUIDE (8:20m)

Image - <------ Trucking School - Episode #1 - Controls Setup (13:20m)

Image - <----- Trucking Diaries - Episode #1 (28:00m)

Image - <------------ Trucking Diaries - Episode #2 (22:48m)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Really good job on the feel of the environment.

Just like IRL Cali the smokies are as thick as syrup.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

KDH wrote::horse: Squirrel .. again
Thanks for posting these. I only got through the first video and part of Episode #1, but I like what I saw. I also heard him mention that speed will be monitored by static and moving cop cars. Damn, I got really used in ETS2 to driving like a nut. Do I also get a radar detector? :D
KDH

Post by KDH »

jztemple2 wrote: ........ I also heard him mention that speed will be monitored by static and moving cop cars. Damn, I got really used in ETS2 to driving like a nut. Do I also get a radar detector? :D
yeah, I heard that too

hmmmm? radar detectors .. it would require that they are zapping AI motorists, so that you detect the "usage" before they zap you .. which is what saves your butt in real life ... I'd be willing to bet these precursor pulses are not programmed in by default. But ... if somebody were to 'splain it to the devs .. real slow :oops:

I can only imagine that radar AND detectors are used in Europe in the same fashion ... but that doesn't mean they thought to allow for detection and avoidance.

all my life, growing up, I heard about the autobahn .. and I imagined this roadway, built for speed, with banked curves .. then I find out that the interstate system in the USA was designed on and around the autobahn ... my shoulders slumped a little
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, watching that review video makes this a definite Day One purchase for me. Looks like a slightly more polished version of ETS2, which is fine by me.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just occurred to me that we are less than two days away from release and Steam still isn't taking pre-orders. And GMG doesn't have it either. Are we looking at a delay? Or just something that SCS does?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YellowKing wrote:Yeah, watching that review video makes this a definite Day One purchase for me. Looks like a slightly more polished version of ETS2, which is fine by me.
Its basically the same game with only 2 states and 2 trucks...ya 2 trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSK8I3DWK4
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:Its basically the same game with only 2 states and 2 trucks...ya 2 trucks.

SCS has already explained there are only two trucks right now but they are still in negotiations to get others which will be added free with updates. They say the manufacturers are reluctant but once the game is released SCS expects that licensing will be easier. And of course the modders will be very busy too.

A third state (Arizona) will be added soon for free. Other states will be added as DLC, mostly paid, *maybe* some free.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Plus it's MURRICA!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Yeah, watching that review video makes this a definite Day One purchase for me. Looks like a slightly more polished version of ETS2, which is fine by me.
Its basically the same game with only 2 states and 2 trucks...ya 2 trucks.

Yeah, we've kind of gone over that. I wouldn't buy it if that's an issue for you.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Looks like they're going to release early, and it will be available today! They didn't give exact time, but said "this evening" CET, which is 6 hours ahead of East Coast. So hopefully those of us in the states will see it in the next few hours! :horse:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

To be fair about the "only 2 states" thing - you have to remember that the square milage of California and Nevada add up to something like 273,000, which is some 30,000 miles larger than the entire nation of France. I would say that the initial map of ETS2 and ATS are probably around the same amount of square miles.

I'll probably get this one, even though I have a lot of driving to do still in ETS2.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote:For inspiration, here is my pic from the launch of European Truck Simulator 2:

I'm digging that wall art!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The game is now available for purchase on Steam. I'm downloading now, but it's only a one gigabyte download, so I'm guessing it's the preload or part of it. Hopefully there's more today to download before it unlocks early tomorrow.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oops, I was wrong, it is the whole game :shock:. Playing now, starting in Oxnard Sacramento, because I like the name location.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looks like they are making an Unsupported 32-bit build in the Beta branch. From their most recent postings:
However, we are receiving a lot of requests from players stuck with a 32-bit Windows to give them a chance to play the game now. We do listen to you, and we are also making available an UNSUPPORTED, alternate 32-bit build of the game. You will find it on Steam, in a Beta branch named unsupported_32bit. At the time of release, it will be functionally equivalent with the 64-bit build, and it should work ok so long as you don't push the graphics setting to max. Keep in mind that it's only an unsupported temporary solution, we are explicitly making no guarantees that it will work now or in the future. At some point in time, perhaps in 6 months, perhaps in 12 months, we will no longer be able to update this 32-bit fork of the game to match the feature set of the official version of the game. Hopefully by that time, you will all have migrated to a new 64-bit OS.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti