Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Random randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote:OK, health question (I guess): what is this weird metallic taste in my mouth?

I've had this sensation off and on for three days, and its unprecedented for me. Whenever I eat or drink, I get a bitter-metallic taste on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. At first I thought I had a bad batch of coffee beans, but now I notice it when I chew or swallow anything (including cold cereal, cheese, or other drinks besides the coffee).

I don't seem to be sick (other than perhaps a mild cold), and I'm not taking any meds or vitamins. My dentist recently told me that my oral hygiene is excellent. The water in my house seems fine.

The only unusual factor that occurs to me is that I went through a bag of Parmesan Garlic and Herb pita chip things (so sue me) in the past few days, and the salt did feel like it was too much, leaving me dried out and rough in the mouth. Could this have deadened some taste buds or something?
Is it blood? Blood has always tasted metallic/coppery to me.

Maybe you got a cut from the pita chips? They can wreck the roof of your mouth.

Speaking of, I heard this somewhere the other day, but why is it called the roof? Isn't it the ceiling?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Holman wrote:OK, health question (I guess): what is this weird metallic taste in my mouth?

I've had this sensation off and on for three days, and its unprecedented for me. Whenever I eat or drink, I get a bitter-metallic taste on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. At first I thought I had a bad batch of coffee beans, but now I notice it when I chew or swallow anything (including cold cereal, cheese, or other drinks besides the coffee).

I don't seem to be sick (other than perhaps a mild cold), and I'm not taking any meds or vitamins. My dentist recently told me that my oral hygiene is excellent. The water in my house seems fine.

The only unusual factor that occurs to me is that I went through a bag of Parmesan Garlic and Herb pita chip things (so sue me) in the past few days, and the salt did feel like it was too much, leaving me dried out and rough in the mouth. Could this have deadened some taste buds or something?
Is it blood? Blood has always tasted metallic/coppery to me.

Maybe you got a cut from the pita chips? They can wreck the roof of your mouth.

Speaking of, I heard this somewhere the other day, but why is it called the roof? Isn't it the ceiling?
Think of it as a really thick roof culminating in the top of your skull.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's definitely not blood. I'm not spitting anything, and the taste occurs only when I eat/drink.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Any chance you're accidentally taking chemotherapy?

Ruling that out, might be worth visiting your dentist to see if it's coming from a gum or tooth issue.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Well, easy enough to fix then.

:P

Sorry, the only times it has happened to me I've been on antibiotics. Maybe your family is slipping you something?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Eat any "fresh" tuna before the taste (not canned)? Fresh mackerel? Red snapper? Grouper? I put the fresh in "" because there's a type of food poisoning associated with certain types of fish that can lead to a metallic taste. I wouldn't think that would be your only symptom of fish poisoning, but maybe if it was a super mild intoxication? Quite honestly, I'd rather have metallic taste than the sensation that my teeth are falling out, but maybe that's just me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's pretty clear that you're turning into a robot.
Black Lives Matter.

Post by Default »

El Guapo wrote:It's pretty clear that you're turning into a robot.
El Guapo est muy MACHO!
<simultaneous fist pump and pelvic thrust>
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've had this sensation off and on for three days, and its unprecedented for me. Whenever I eat or drink, I get a bitter-metallic taste on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. At first I thought I had a bad batch of coffee beans, but now I notice it when I chew or swallow anything.

Have you eaten anything containing pine nuts?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Have you eaten anything containing pine nuts?
Holy cow, that might be it! I made pesto with a whole lot of raw pine nuts (I love pine nuts) three nights ago, just before all this started.

I guess it would be more fun to be a robot, though. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
Last edited by Holman on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The cold itself can be the cause.
4.Infections – Upper respiratory infections, colds and sinusitis change your sense of taste. This is temporary and usually ends when the infection does
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks like the solution is simple. Just stop eating...
It is exacerbated by consumption of any other food during this period
:shock:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Validation!

I do not like pine nuts.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is that the same thing as tree huggers?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote:Is that the same thing as tree huggers?
They smell about the same.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

StarWars for the next generation

http://distractify.com/humor/2015/12/31 ... b5caee280a

"Space Voldemort = mufasa."
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote:
Holy cow, that might be it! I made pesto with a whole lot of raw pine nuts (I love pine nuts) three nights ago, just before all this started.

I guess it would be more fun to be a robot, though. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

This was my first thought as well. Pine nuts sourced from China (the cheap ones) frequently cause this.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd always heard that Pine Nuts were from Russia. Is there some sort of counter-embargo now? Can I blame Putin for this?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote:I'd always heard that Pine Nuts were from Russia. Is there some sort of counter-embargo now? Can I blame Putin for this?
Apparently there are different varieties all over the world, but Korea, China, and Russia produce the most.
Wikipedia wrote:Old World
Pinus pinea - Italian stone pine
Pinus cembra - Swiss pine
Pinus koraiensis - Korean pine
Pinus gerardiana - Chilgoza pine
Pinus sibirica - Siberian pine
Pinus pumila - Siberian dwarf pine
Pinus armandii - Chinese white pine [reputed to cause "taste disturbance"]
Pinus bungeana - lacebark pine

New World
Pinus cembroides – Mexican pinyon
Pinus orizabensis – Orizaba pinyon
Pinus johannis – Johann's pinyon (includes P. discolor – Border pinyon)
Pinus culminicola – Potosi pinyon
Pinus remota – Texas pinyon or papershell pinyon
Pinus edulis – Two-needle pinyon or Colorado pinyon
Pinus monophylla – Single-leaf pinyon
Pinus quadrifolia – Parry pinyon
And that's more than I ever wanted to know about pinus.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: And that's more than I ever wanted to know about pinus.
You haven't even touched the nuts.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Pinus armandii - Chinese white pine [reputed to cause "taste disturbance"]
Don't do it!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Do you ever accidentally open multiple tabs of a song on YouTube without realizing it, think how awesome it sounds, and then become disappointed when you notice it and close the other tab(s), because the actual song pales in comparison?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Pinus armandii - Chinese white pine [reputed to cause "taste disturbance"]
Don't do it!
:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm always up for a little dendrology humor. I'd like to think I can encourage everyone to branch out.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm always up for a little dendrology humor. I'd like to think I can encourage everyone to branch out.
:wince: Fir fuck's sake.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should really nip this in the bud before it takes root.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USS Oklahoma City fired:
The commanding officer of a fast-attack submarine homeported in Guam has been fired from his duties “due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command,” a Navy statement confirmed Wednesday.

Cmdr. Mike Conner was removed from his position as commander of the USS Oklahoma City, said Cmdr. Brook DeWalt, public affairs officer for the U.S. Pacific Fleet’s Submarine Force.

Conner was relieved of his command of the submarine on Jan. 6, Guam time.
Further details about the specific incident or incidents that led to Conner’s removal from his position were not immediately released to the public.

Conner had been in command of the Oklahoma City since December 2013.

Conner has been administratively reassigned to the office of Capt. Jeffrey Grimes, commander of the Submarine Squadron 15, which is based at Naval Base Guam, according to a Navy statement.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote:You should really nip this in the bud before it takes root.
I don't normally feel like a sap trying to out-pun this group, but I must admit I'm stumped.
I'll stop before you get sycamore of these.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

TREE!
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote:TREE!
-mendous
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote:USS Oklahoma City fired
On the surface he sounds like a swell guy. Perhaps he had a port list?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Unagi wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:You should really nip this in the bud before it takes root.
I don't normally feel like a sap trying to out-pun this group, but I must admit I'm stumped.
I'll stop before you get sycamore of these.
You shouldn't give up. Yew cedar is always a way to join even acorny trend like this one.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Thanks bud, I wood like to buy you a tall one for your support in this, but since we aren't together I willow you one.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I rented a car a few weeks ago. The wife dropped it off since she had to go downtown. Today I get a shady sounding call from the company asking if I returned it. Crappy connection, obvious offshore call center. So I asked them when it was rented and when it was due. They gave me the dates so I answered that yes, it was returned. He said, "Thank you, I will let corporate know. Thank you for your time" I said, "Woah, woah, hang on. Why are you asking me this? Don't you know if the car was returned over a week ago?" I got a bunch of useless drivel and then he hung up.

WTF is that? I have an agents card at home, I'm going to call when I get there but damn. I'm trying to figure out what kind of scam would make use of me confirming that I rented a car during that time period. I can't imagine it's a legit call since it's been over a week since it was due back.

It's always something. Hey, that's a good epitaph. "It's Always Something!"

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I rented a car a few weeks ago. The wife dropped it off since she had to go downtown. Today I get a shady sounding call from the company asking if I returned it. Crappy connection, obvious offshore call center. So I asked them when it was rented and when it was due. They gave me the dates so I answered that yes, it was returned. He said, "Thank you, I will let corporate know. Thank you for your time" I said, "Woah, woah, hang on. Why are you asking me this? Don't you know if the car was returned over a week ago?" I got a bunch of useless drivel and then he hung up.

WTF is that? I have an agents card at home, I'm going to call when I get there but damn. I'm trying to figure out what kind of scam would make use of me confirming that I rented a car during that time period. I can't imagine it's a legit call since it's been over a week since it was due back.
Did your wife drop it off during business hours and handed the paperwork to an actual person? Sounds like they may have lost paperwork or lost track of which day the rental was returned. Check and make sure that the credit card you gave them doesn't get charged for more days.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gilraen wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:I rented a car a few weeks ago. The wife dropped it off since she had to go downtown. Today I get a shady sounding call from the company asking if I returned it. Crappy connection, obvious offshore call center. So I asked them when it was rented and when it was due. They gave me the dates so I answered that yes, it was returned. He said, "Thank you, I will let corporate know. Thank you for your time" I said, "Woah, woah, hang on. Why are you asking me this? Don't you know if the car was returned over a week ago?" I got a bunch of useless drivel and then he hung up.

Did your wife drop it off during business hours and handed the paperwork to an actual person? Sounds like they may have lost paperwork or lost track of which day the rental was returned. Check and make sure that the credit card you gave them doesn't get charged for more days.
It was during normal hours. She didn't check it in.

This rental place is downtown. The garage is in the basement. To get to it, there's a narrow, 1-lane ramp with zero visibility. It's a harrowing descent. Normally when you return, you brave this ramp and someone down there checks the car in.

When the wife returned the car, the gate was closed and someone was at the top another car was coming out and an employee stopped her. Another employee (in a company uniform, for whatever that's worth) got out of the car coming up the 1-lane ramp, said he'd take the car and he told her to drop it with him and she was good to go. When she told me this (when I called today to ask if she got a receipt), I kind of taken aback but it's right outside the rental office window so I don't think someone would get away with closing the gate and taking cars. Anyway, I called them today, got the national guy. He said he showed the car returned but not re-rented so he couldn't close it out. He 3-way'd the local office and they said they couldn't close it out manually because the couldn't find the car.

So as I'm typing this the office called back. They "found" the car at O'hare. She asked "Why would y'all just leave it with someone?" I said that I wasn't there but that the guy told her to and he said he was with Avis. She said, "Well I would have just sat there." Which is really helpful. I offered to put the wife on to explain but the rep just said to wait for a manager to call back. She asked again , "Why would you just leave it?" I asked her, "How do you have the car checked in at O'Hare but not in your system until you go looking fo it?" She hung up. National guy was extremely nice and helpful, local woman was an asshole.

I'm kind of irked at the wife for not getting a receipt (why wouldn't you do that?) but knowing the location I can kind of see why she would have just given it to the guy at the ramp.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Local place is getting dinged by National for losing the car. We had a similar experience where National agreed that a dinged up car with a nasty interior shouldn't have been rented and wouldn't have passed visual inspection if the airport rental had been well lit. The airport manager tried a few says later to slap us with car cleaning charges.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Random randomness

Post by Zarathud »

Bad Tapatalk.....
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon