Worst case election scenarios

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

The Mad Hatter

Worst case election scenarios

Post by The Mad Hatter »

I've seen a few of these but found an interesting one today. Rehnquist is still not back from his cancer treatment, and it's possible he may never return. Imagine another toss up situation that comes down to court challenges in a state like Florida. Bush is President now regardless - if Rehnquist is out for good then he could make a recess SCOTUS appointment to replace him. That could break a 4/4 deadlock on any court challenges. Not only would Bush take the prize after a SCOTUS decision again, but it would be through the decision of his own appointee. Talk about questions of legitimacy.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
jblank

Post by jblank »

I get a migraine headache at the thought of something like that happening. Regardless of the winner, lets just have a nice, honest, civil, quick, and legitimate election, with a quick outcome, that both sides are content with. Then, lets get behind that President (to a point), and try and get some problems solved.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
flycatcher

Post by flycatcher »

The worst case would be a tie in the electoral college, the house a representatives ties thier vote, the senate elects John Edwards/ or Cheney as Vice President, but due to the deadlock in the house, the vice president becomes president for 2 years until a new house is elected.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Or we could end up with a Bush Edwards WH, that would sure be ummm odd.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

flycatcher wrote:The worst case would be a tie in the electoral college, the house a representatives ties thier vote, the senate elects John Edwards/ or Cheney as Vice President, but due to the deadlock in the house, the vice president becomes president for 2 years until a new house is elected.
I'm honestly not that worried about this one. We have a precedent where we had multiple ballots in the House. If it goes to the House, they will elect a President. It may take a couple of weeks but it will happen before the Inauguration Date.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

That sounds like a sitcom set-up.

He's a war-mongering Republican! He's an ambulance-chasing Democrat! Together, wacky hijinxs ensue on George and John! Mondays on Fox!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Al

Post by Al »

Voter apathy, bad weather and the general impression that there's going to be record high voter turnout leads to record low turnout. Nader die-hards, in an unsanctioned pre-dawn raid take over the offices of CNN, Fox and in what can only be called overkill, MSNBC and force them to all report that polling places are plagued by hurricanes, long lines and drive by shootings. Bolstered by this news and secret encoded messages unwittingly posted on DrudgeReport after two callers corroborating stories about aliens landing at the registrar of voters in Princeton, New Jersey, Nader supporters descend on the nearly empty polls and elect Ralph Nader by a landslide.

Nader, heady from his mandate pulls all troops out of Iraq, disbands the US armed forces and nationalizes major industry. Mexico and Canada invade taking over vast swaths of the north eastern and south western United States. No longer separated by the world's most powerful nation and armed with nuclear weapons captured in their early conquests the long simmering animosity between Mexicans and Canadians erupts in a 53 minute nuclear war, destroying most of North America.
setaside

Post by setaside »

Al wrote:Voter apathy, bad weather and the general impression that there's going to be record high voter turnout leads to record low turnout. Nader die-hards, in an unsanctioned pre-dawn raid take over the offices of CNN, Fox and in what can only be called overkill, MSNBC and force them to all report that polling places are plagued by hurricanes, long lines and drive by shootings. Bolstered by this news and secret encoded messages unwittingly posted on DrudgeReport after two callers corroborating stories about aliens landing at the registrar of voters in Princeton, New Jersey, Nader supporters descend on the nearly empty polls and elect Ralph Nader by a landslide.

Nader, heady from his mandate pulls all troops out of Iraq, disbands the US armed forces and nationalizes major industry. Mexico and Canada invade taking over vast swaths of the north eastern and south western United States. No longer separated by the world's most powerful nation and armed with nuclear weapons captured in their early conquests the long simmering animosity between Mexicans and Canadians erupts in a 53 minute nuclear war, destroying most of North America.
:shock:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Al wrote: Mexico and Canada invade taking over vast swaths of the north eastern and south western United States. No longer separated by the world's most powerful nation and armed with nuclear weapons captured in their early conquests the long simmering animosity between Mexicans and Canadians erupts in a 53 minute nuclear war, destroying most of North America.
Fallout 3. Excellent! Do these forums survive?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Al wrote:Voter apathy, bad weather and the general impression that there's going to be record high voter turnout leads to record low turnout. Nader die-hards, in an unsanctioned pre-dawn raid take over the offices of CNN, Fox and in what can only be called overkill, MSNBC and force them to all report that polling places are plagued by hurricanes, long lines and drive by shootings. Bolstered by this news and secret encoded messages unwittingly posted on DrudgeReport after two callers corroborating stories about aliens landing at the registrar of voters in Princeton, New Jersey, Nader supporters descend on the nearly empty polls and elect Ralph Nader by a landslide.

Sounds like Cleve Blakemore's worst nightmare.
- George Orwell
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Al wrote: Mexico and Canada invade taking over vast swaths of the north eastern and south western United States. No longer separated by the world's most powerful nation and armed with nuclear weapons captured in their early conquests the long simmering animosity between Mexicans and Canadians erupts in a 53 minute nuclear war, destroying most of North America.
Fallout 3. Excellent! Do these forums survive?
Of course. I have it on good authority that the servers for this forum are actually based in Cheyenne Mountain... and at the first sign of danger, the posters with the highest post counts will be whisked away to safety. Where we can resume our valuable service to society of posting pictures of hot chicks and "pwnage".
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Worse case scenario:

Electoral college tie
ONE elector switching his vote to elect the president (either way).

One person should never have that kind of power.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:Of course. I have it on good authority that the servers for this forum are actually based in Cheyenne Mountain... and at the first sign of danger, the posters with the highest post counts will be whisked away to safety. Where we can resume our valuable service to society of posting pictures of hot chicks and "pwnage".
I KNEW there was a reason I was posting so much! PWNED!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

An alternate take on this scenario - Kerry wins, Rehnquist resigns before Bush leaves office and Bush uses his recess appointment power to send another conservative justice to the Supremes. Just imagine the howling and shrieking over that.
- George Orwell
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

msduncan wrote:Worse case scenario:

Electoral college tie

I actually heard a piece on The Al Franken show in which Franken interviewed a Republican elector who said that he was planning on voting for Kerry if Bush wins his state. Unfortunately, I can't remember which state he lived in (though I'm pretty sure it was a state that isn't a lock for Kerry).....
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Mad Hatter wrote:An alternate take on this scenario - Kerry wins, Rehnquist resigns before Bush leaves office and Bush uses his recess appointment power to send another conservative justice to the Supremes. Just imagine the howling and shrieking over that.
Apparently, such an appointment would only be a temporary one:
If the chief justice's seat were to become vacant before the next presidential term begins on January 20, President George W. Bush would have the power to appoint a temporary successor for him, by so-called “recess appointment”.
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/8dd5ab2a-2b8e- ... 511c8.html
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:

Electoral college tie

I actually heard a piece on The Al Franken show in which Franken interviewed a Republican elector who said that he was planning on voting for Kerry if Bush wins his state. Unfortunately, I can't remember which state he lived in (though I'm pretty sure it was a state that isn't a lock for Kerry).....
I'm assuming you're referring to WV's Robb. He said he might not vote for Bush but it was "highly unlikely" that he'd vote for Kerry.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicsel ... htm?csp=36
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Electoral college tie

Yeah, how dare individual voters think their vote could actually make the difference. :? :wink:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Preacher wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:

Electoral college tie

I'm assuming you're referring to WV's Robb. He said he might not vote for Bush but it was "highly unlikely" that he'd vote for Kerry.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicsel ... htm?csp=36
If the electoral vote is tied, not voting for Bush is the same thing as voting for Kerry.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: If the electoral vote is tied, not voting for Bush is the same thing as voting for Kerry.
Incorrect. Kerry gets 269 votes, Bush gets 268 votes, 1 abstention. Neither has a majority of the EVs, so it still goes to congress (where Bush wins)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nade wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: If the electoral vote is tied, not voting for Bush is the same thing as voting for Kerry.
Incorrect. Kerry gets 269 votes, Bush gets 268 votes, 1 abstention. Neither has a majority of the EVs, so it still goes to congress (where Bush wins)
Doh. Nevermind then.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My nightmare: Colorado passes proportional allocation of its electral vote. Neither candidate makes 270 electoral votes without Colorado. Immediate litigation begins over the constitutionality (and applicability) of the new Colorado law.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zarathud wrote:My nightmare: Colorado passes proportional allocation of its electral vote.
No worries of that happening.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6393689/site/newsweek/

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra