Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Random randomness

Post by dbt1949 »

Smoove_B wrote:Township mayor published a newsletter to remind residents that we're required to have visible house numbers on the road to assist in fire and police identification in the event of an emergency. He also added that he takes fire and fire safety very seriously, implying that violation of this local ordinance should be addressed immediately "or else". Trying to decide whether or not I should attend the next township meeting and ask where to call the next time hot ash is raining down on my house from neighbor burning trees and stumps on his farm property?

Spoiler alert - neighbor is mayor.
Tonight go and paint wrong numbers on his house.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When I looked for something like that I found this as one of my first results

telcta

Post by telcta »

I may not post a lot but if the post count included edits I'd probably be around 3,000. I wish I could be quick and post and not always be thinking about what I just posted... and edit it. **must...not...edit...this...post**
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'd probably have another 500 or so posts if I hit "Submit" on everything I type, but sometimes I look at it and think "Nah" and go back.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

She should have married George Burns:
Miller High Life is known as the champagne of beers, but could it also be the elixir to a long life? Agnes Fenton seems to think so. And she should know. She just turned 110 years old on Saturday, and credits it -- in part -- for her long life.

Agnes’ beer drinking started decades ago. Her only serious health problem had been a benign tumor; after that, her doctor suggested a different course of treatment. ​“He said, ‘Agnes, you must drink three Miller High Lifes a day,’” she told ABC News. That’s exactly what she started doing, along with a bit of Johnnie Walker Blue from time to time.​
Hmm... time to get more JW Blue...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod wrote:I'd probably have another 500 or so posts if I hit "Submit" on everything I type, but sometimes I look at it and think "Nah" and go back.
I've oft thought it would be fun to have an "abandoned posts" thread where we copy and paste as-is things we almost posted in other threads.
Holman

Post by Holman »

wonderpug wrote:
Paingod wrote:I'd probably have another 500 or so posts if I hit "Submit" on everything I type, but sometimes I look at it and think "Nah" and go back.
I've oft thought it would be fun to have an "abandoned posts" thread where we copy and paste as-is things we almost posted in other threads.
The things we fail to post to that thread will be epic.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote:
wonderpug wrote:
The things we fail to post to that thread will be epic.
Saved at:Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:36 am

Doesn't the variability of your opponents make all of this moot? I'm not a big fan of poker but it would seem that whatever you figure your performance stats to be, they will change every time you sit down at a table. Not because of the cards or yourself, but because of who you're playing.

Dice is purely a game of chance. Statistics apply quite well and there is a measure of predictability. In poker, the element of chance is mixed liberally with human fallibility. By playing the statistics (as I believe part of being a good poker player must be) a player alters them. And by trying to deceive other players (as I also believe part of being a good poker player must be) they also alter them. Plus if you're using this RoR in your game, isn't there a bit of the Observer Effect going on to change things even more?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

See???
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Saw????
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sa...uwn?????

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Gibberish "Chinese" Tattoo Translator

http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... olved.html

For example, this tattoo is supposed to read "Angel"

Enlarge Image

In reality, it reads:
Spoiler:
female, tao, kung fu, hand
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sudy Nym wrote:Sa...uwn?????
See Saw Seen.

I see the blue sky today
And I saw the blue sky yesterday
I have seen the blue birds flying in the blue sky
And hope for a blue sky tomorrow

You see the sunset today
And you saw the sunset yesterday
You have seen the sunset in purple and in pink hues
And hope for a sunset tomorrow

We see the bright stars tonight
And we saw the bright stars last night
We have seen the bright stars and all the dots connected
And hope for the bright stars tomorrow
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

With Luandromat gone, is there hop for... Yeah, I got nothing, but Jesus it must be nice to be able to afford to live San Francisco nowadays. How do normal people afford to live there? Do they bus in teachers and police and firefighters and restaurant worker and retail and I don't know who else?

http://mic.com/articles/123311/silicon- ... -class-war
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There are still affordable "sections" in town, you just have to go further out, or even out of the city and commute in.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Wonder Twins 2.2 started preschool today. How the hell did that happen already? :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote:The Wonder Twins 2.2 started preschool today. How the hell did that happen already? :(
Our 4 year old is going this fall - as long as we can find some way to convince him with a high degree of certainty that he should wear his pants and underwear after using the bathroom ... and hopefully graduate him to wiping correctly.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A window washing contractor fell 6 stories to the sidewalk on campus. It's a horrible accident, but if it had to happen, it happened in the right place. He landed about 30 feet from the ER as the day shift was coming in to work. According to news reports, he's currently in critical condition but stable with two broken legs and some internal injuries.

I watch those guys every day on various buildings outside my office window. I can only bear watching a few minutes because it always seems like the ropes are about to give way. Also, the ropes just hang down to the sidewalk, unattended. I once saw some kids mock-tugging on the ropes. I wondered if people ever actually pull on them.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote:The Wonder Twins 2.2 started preschool today. How the hell did that happen already? :(
That's really young for preschool, isn't it?
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's probably more of a pre-preschool...three days a week for a couple hours.

I rolled my eyes when Mrs Skinypupy initially suggested it. However, we put Little B 6.5 through a similar program and were amazed at how much further ahead she was when she started kindergarten. She was reading, writing, and doing basic math while other kids were still learning the alphabet. The social development does hurt either, especially since scheduling "play dates" with twins is a little more challenging.

I think it's worth it...hope so, anyways.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ah, that definitely makes sense, especially in view of how it helped your oldest.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote:It's probably more of a pre-preschool...three days a week for a couple hours.

I rolled my eyes when Mrs Skinypupy initially suggested it. However, we put Little B 6.5 through a similar program and were amazed at how much further ahead she was when she started kindergarten. She was reading, writing, and doing basic math while other kids were still learning the alphabet. The social development does hurt either, especially since scheduling "play dates" with twins is a little more challenging.

2.2 isn't young. Ours started at around 2 and she was a latecomer. I mean, heck, the school has baby nurseries. Starting around 2 does wonders for them socially.

We did the minimum 3 days a week, 8 hours a day.

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LawBeefaroni wrote:A window washing contractor fell 6 stories to the sidewalk on campus. It's a horrible accident, but if it had to happen, it happened in the right place. He landed about 30 feet from the ER as the day shift was coming in to work. According to news reports, he's currently in critical condition but stable with two broken legs and some internal injuries.

I watch those guys every day on various buildings outside my office window. I can only bear watching a few minutes because it always seems like the ropes are about to give way. Also, the ropes just hang down to the sidewalk, unattended. I once saw some kids mock-tugging on the ropes. I wondered if people ever actually pull on them.
Our office has these really wide ledges...like 4 feet wide, sidewalk sized ledges. When I first started working there window washers would just wander around on the ledges and clean the windows. One morning the windows outside of our area were being washed, and I was idly watching the guy do his job...long pole, scrub down the window, switch to squeegee, squeegee, repeat. Watched him do the first window, then move to the second window, switch to squeegee, start to squeegee, and just step back off of the ledge. Dude just disappeared. There one second, gone the next. After my brain processed what had just happened, I grabbed the phone and called building emergency services. Lucky thing for the guy was that I was only on the second floor instead of the 6th. Unlucky thing was it was the back of the building, where the basement level is exposed, so it was really a 3 story fall. He landed on grass, and from what I heard broke his pelvis. He just missed hitting a fire hydrant by about 3 feet. That would have really messed him up.

After that happened, harnesses and safety ropes suddenly appeared.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:It's probably more of a pre-preschool...three days a week for a couple hours.

2.2 isn't young. Ours started at around 2 and she was a latecomer. I mean, heck, the school has baby nurseries. Starting around 2 does wonders for them socially.

We did the minimum 3 days a week, 8 hours a day.
Both our kids started at 15 months, 3 days a week for about 8 hours a day. Our youngest is not quite two yet but we found that it was an amazing experience for her older brother who started kindergarten already knowing the things they were expected to learn during the year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Frank Sivero, Goodfellas actor, loses suit against Fox:
A California judge dismissed Frank Sivero's claims in a hearing Thursday.

Simpsons copied his likeness for a mob character named Louie.
In a Los Angeles Superior Court hearing Thursday, judge Rita Miller granted Fox’s motion to strike the complaint on the basis of California’s anti-SLAPP law. The statute requires a plaintiff who challenges a work of free speech to demonstrate the likeliness of prevailing on his claims.

In the lawsuit, Sivero said the Louie character had similar characteristics to him that were not typical of other mob characters, including his curly hair and the shape of his sideburns. His opposition to the motion included the opinion of caricaturist Dominic Arneson that the character and Sivero are similar.

The judge disagreed. "If I was a teenage girl and I had a crush on your client, would I be satisfied with a pin-up of the character Louie?" she asked.
Furthermore, the judge sided with Fox that the character constituted a parody of mob characters, and therefore was a "transformative use" protected against likeness rights claims. "Even if Mr. Sivero's face was on [the character], as long as it's parody and has other characteristics discussed in the tentative, you can’t win," said the judge.

The hearing did not address Sivero's claim of misappropriation of ideas. In the motion to strike, Fox argued misappropriation of ideas required plaintiff to establish he would offer his idea under a contract. Sivero in his opposition claimed he had formed an implied contract with the Simpsons producers in discussions about future work.

The actor claimed in his lawsuit his purported resemblance to the character was not coincidence. He said in 1989, when he was developing his character for Goodfellas, he lived in a Sherman Oaks apartment complex right next door to writers of The Simpsons, leading them to base the character of Louie on him. He said he later he spoke numerous times with Simpsons co-creator James L. Brooks about working together, an idea to which he said Brooks responded favorably.

The Louie character has appeared in 15 Simpsons episodes to date and appeared in The Simpsons Movie and Simpsons video games, leading Sivero to ask $250 million in damages. The suit originally targeted Fox Television Studios and 21st Century Fox America, but in March they were dismissed and Sivero took up claims only against Twentieth Century Fox Film.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For some reason, our office has become infested with flies this week. I've got about half a dozen flying around in my office right now, and I've swatted at least another 20 over the last three days. We've been in this building 10 years, and have never had any issues before this week.

It's really odd, and wholly annoying.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote:For some reason, our office has become infested with flies this week. I've got about half a dozen flying around in my office right now, and I've swatted at least another 20 over the last three days. We've been in this building 10 years, and have never had any issues before this week.

Someone has a food stash.

Or they buried the bodies in the walls.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I foresee a valiant tailor salesman in our future.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:For some reason, our office has become infested with flies this week. I've got about half a dozen flying around in my office right now, and I've swatted at least another 20 over the last three days. We've been in this building 10 years, and have never had any issues before this week.

Someone has a food stash.

Or they buried the bodies in the walls.
That was my first thought (the food stash...not the bodies), but I would think we'd smell something rotten if it were the case. And they're literally everywhere, not just in one office.

I'd love one of these, but can't justify $50 for it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Someone has a food stash. Or they buried the bodies in the walls.
Possibly. But without identifying the exact type of fly, it's hard to say. I'd guess either dead animal in the ceiling or someone purchased new plants and you're seeing fungus gnats. If you worked in a commercial kitchen I'd check the drains, but in an office? Assuming it's not coming from an employee locker room, in my experience it's usually fungus gnats. I just wanted to say fungus gnats again. Fungus gnats.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Definitely not fungus gnats, they're full-sized flys, which are much larger than a fungus gnat. Did you know fungus gnats posess antifreeze proteins that prevent the fungus gnats from freezing? Just one of the interesting things about the fungus gnat.

Fungus gnat.

Co-worker put up a strip of flypaper in his office yesterday, and we counted 18 stuck to it this morning. Blech...seriously think I'm going to go work from home today.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Do they have a greenish sheen or are they tan/black in color?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:greenish sheen
Suggesting someone shat in the ceiling.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Plain 'ol black
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should get a magnetic screen net for your office door.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote:Plain 'ol black
:(

The most useless clue in helping to figure this out. The other problem is that I don't know if there are local specifics in your part of 'merica that could also help me -- regional fly related issues that some more familiar with the goings on of bugs could easily figure out. I mean, I wouldn't think Cluster Flies would be a problem in the Midwest in August, but I don't know.

This is the kind of stuff I miss from my Johnny Lunchbox days -- hopping in a car and then going to figure out why an office building was overrun with flies. I was always hoping for a Demon Gate but it was usually just a dead animal.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only he had access to a collection of dead ones that were available for photographs that hadn't been smashed through physical trauma that could be provided for the resident experts.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Plain 'ol black
:(

The most useless clue in helping to figure this out. The other problem is that I don't know if there are local specifics in your part of 'merica that could also help me -- regional fly related issues that some more familiar with the goings on of bugs could easily figure out. I mean, I wouldn't think Cluster Flies would be a problem in the Midwest in August, but I don't know.
Well, there was that guy walking around turning rivers to blood and then making a whole mess of frogs appear, but most just think he's trying to get attention.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:If only he had access to a collection of dead ones that were available for photographs that hadn't been smashed through physical trauma that could be provided for the resident experts.
Surprising, smashed insects can still be of use for identification. :wink:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Dear coworker,

Writing "this is just more f-up" is probably not the best way to say that this is more followup.