Reaper Bones Next

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Reaper Bones 3, because Isgrimnur said so.

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote:The $1 pledge specifically mentions it as a extra add-in option, so you can go that route even if 'thud stays out.
Nah, he's in. I knew he'd fold.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like a cheap card table during an overenthusiastic "wood for sheep" exchange?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The last two had cowboys, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had some later. I completely missed Bones 2, and have been regretting it. I'm going to try and find a way to make this work.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I suspect that we're seeing only about a 10th of what the final selection will be like.

If they add some more terrain, or something I can use with Malifaux, I'll have 'thud add them to his pledge.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I will now picture him wheeling over the Vietnamese countryside, suppressing enemy air defenses.
Zarathud

Reaper Bones 3, because Isgrimnur said so.

Post by Zarathud »

In. Bones has enough extra figures that I can let my kids paint figures along with me. I won't mind the shark man is pink because he was a Stretch Goal.

I haven't painted much in the last year, but that should change as the kids get older. They really like the mouselings and baby dragons. Once the figures are under $2, they're cheaper than ceramic craft projects.

Suppressing crazed weasel children is tougher than Vietnam, and I'm a sucker for anything that brings my kids into my geek world.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:If they add some more terrain, or something I can use with Malifaux, I'll have 'thud add them to his pledge.
That would put me over the edge. I just picked up some Bones terrain containers (shipping and garbage) at a local convention and they're perfect. Also, I'm toying with the idea of Bolt Action. WW2 miniatures? Good lord. Zarathud does raise a good point though...at some point the price-per miniature is quite...awesome, particularly for random kid use (or gluing all over your car).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:
hepcat wrote:If they add some more terrain, or something I can use with Malifaux, I'll have 'thud add them to his pledge.
That would put me over the edge. I just picked up some Bones terrain containers (shipping and garbage) at a local convention and they're perfect. Also, I'm toying with the idea of Bolt Action. WW2 miniatures? Good lord. Zarathud does raise a good point though...at some point the price-per miniature is quite...awesome, particularly for random kid use (or gluing all over your car).
Just to be clear, you're talking about terrain, not Malifaux, right?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, we're using terrain for various miniatures games. And I just saw the torture chamber bits that look...useful. STAY ON TARGET
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, I was hoping you might be a fellow Malifaux player.

Definitely getting the torture chamber myself. And I'll probably grab whatever savage worlds stuff they add.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've looked at Malifaux and tried to get my gaming buddy to play, but after watching a few demos at a conference he wasn't really into the general theme. Pure fantasy and military (particularly WW2) is more in his wheelhouse. I think I'd need to get enough Malifaux stuff for a 2 player game, paint everything in secret and then just drop it on him some day -- which isn't unreasonable. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...or just show up at an Octocon and let Seppe and I know beforehand. We could bring enough for 4 or 5 different factions between the two of us.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That's been hepcat's plan. Except I have terrible war game ADD and take wild, reckless risks by sending my troops into certain doom and then critically missing even the easy rolls. I am a menace...even though I happily fail at tactics.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Terrain up. A $15 henge - and it looks moderately huge.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, that mystic circle is a must buy. It will look great on the table with the broken castle pieces from the last bones project.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

STOP IT, PEOPLE. I didn't even paint 75% of Bones 1...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm at 0%. I might be able to lay hands on the box within 60 seconds, but getting them out of the plastic might take longer.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The goal is not to paint the Bones. It's to think about painting them, and then deciding that it's better to crack and suck the marrow out of them instead.

The Reaper paint sets (12 for $20) are also a great deal. Picked up every set so far.

The kids want their own set of girl Mouslings to paint.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm at 0%. I might be able to lay hands on the box within 60 seconds, but getting them out of the plastic might take longer.
Yeah I know where mine are... heck, I even used some of them to play a game a few times... but painting them? Ha!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some thoughts on the offerings so far.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing . Not too many character miniatures, which is a good thing. I have tons of characters (although surprisingly few gnomes.) What I need most are beasties to actually work into my games.

The initial offering has a smattering of stuff (and a mule - I'm actually most excited about the mule from the initial core.) The dog is nice, and there are some gnomes. There are a few characters mixed in, which is fine. I'm happy to have them, and it increases the chance I'll have just the right piece when I need it. I'm not anti-character. I'm just not low on them.

After that they really up the monsters. Some I'm not too excited about. The orcs, for instance. I'm happy to have them, but between my old Warhammer stuff from the 90s, my scrounged Battle Masters set and the Bones 1 orcpocalypse set, I have probably 40 orcs. Same thing goes for the goblins. The torture chamber? Eh. Nice to have, but I don't have the storage space to run stuff with full 3d terrain, so when I do add 3d elements to an adventure, it is usually a centerpiece. I can't see myself running an adventure where a set of stocks are the centerpiece.

On the other hand, the lizard men are great. There are enough there to support either the core of a small wargame army, or to supply an RPG campaign. The centipedes and bugs (prarie ticks, maybe?) are always useful. The yetis I'm excited about. I don't have any, and there are enough there to be useful. The lycanthropes are cool enough that I'd find a way to write them into something. The ogres are also great. I often have to substitute other things for ogres in games.

I'm kind of ambivalent about the invisible heroes. They're cool, but the number of situations where I'd have a character be invisible and still need a miniature for him (IE - in combat) are few and far between. Also, why make the one on the log invisible? It will mean the log is invisible, too, and just painting the log will look odd when you can't paint under the feet.

The addons have a lot that I like, which sucks. I'm struggling to have enough for the core set. Getting options may not be possible, and there is a lot of stuff there that I want. I need dragons, for one. Diabolus and Marthrangul are both perfect. Viridius is like Kaladrax from Bones 1. He's cool as hell, but big enough that I can't see putting him into a game with appropriate stats. He's a display piece. The frost giants would be handy, too. The just announced Kyra & Lavarath set is very, very cool, and I'd love to have it, but it would likely also just be a display piece, and what money I have needs to be invested in stuff I can game with.

I don't need the paint sets (although set B is an excellent purchase for someone looking to start painting.) The mouselings are cool, but not something I need. I have a double set of the IMEF figures from Bones 1 and have yet to find anything to do with them, so as much as I like them, the Blackstar Corsairs aren't really an option. The crusaders would be handy, but I can get by without them.

The mystic circle, though - that is too damned cool. I'd like to get it, but probably won't. It would be investing a stack of money for a single location when I could spend the same money on a dragon that could be used for any number of things.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Definitely the Mystic Circle. Same with the savage world stuff. Maybe on the Blackstar Corsairs. I can always use sci fi minis.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I love sci-fi miniatures. I just never play sci-fi RPGs, and don't have any sci-fi wargames.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think I already have most of Paint Set B -- they're great basic colors. I already picked up 3/4 of the Savage Worlds minis this past year.

I should spend some time before GenCon to look up some figures I missed from Bones 1. You can always use more Orcs.

Their Bones baby dragons have been a big hit with the kids -- and cheap! The big dragons are cool but impractical.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And you can still have my dragon from the Greedy Adventurer set from the last Bones event if you want. Your daughters would enjoy it far more than me.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When you guys decide that you want to come to Mecca for ReaperCon, let me know.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ooh, weapons, and more for $4. That I like.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They just added the first expansion, as they did with Bones II. That's both good and bad (for me.)

The good is that it means that people will spend more money.

The bad is that the stretch goals will now be split between the core, the options, and the expansion - three sections instead of just two.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Brain in a jar? And Minotaur? I want to see more!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The latest stretch goal on the radar is a massive cannon with some Nazi-esque troops. It is cool as hell, but doesn't fit anything I'm playing or running. Still, it may appeal to some of you.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ooooh, I may have to bite on that too. Are those included in the core set? Because between that and a few of the others I'm looking at, I may just save some cash by going that route (and piggyback on Zarathud's pledge so I can get earlier shipping).
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I believe the cannon is separate. Each item will say at the top whether it is an option or is included in the core.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, okay. Looks like it's an add on after all. So no need to go all in.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They're color-coded on background. Green is something in the core set, blue is the expansion(s), orange are the a la carte add-ons.
Zarathud

Reaper Bones 3, because Isgrimnur said so.

Post by Zarathud »

Hepcat is pretty much interested in the stuff I'm not, so I am probably going to be all in except for the dragons and large monsters on my pledge.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mythos expansion? Yes. Yes, I will.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

31 hours to go. For those not keeping track, the Mythos (Cthulu) expansion has been finished, as has the Stoneskull expansion. The current expansion is Graveyard, which is, so far, mostly terrain. A full crypt, a statue, arch, columns, a crapload of fencing, a few other things and the option to buy extra fencing. There is still one section of the expansion to unlock, too. Here is a shot they gave of just the crypt and the fencing:

They've also announced their big stretch goal for 2.25 million, which I'm sure will be reached:

To give a better sense of scale, here it is with the front piece of terrain removed and some regular miniatures to show scale:

That's an awesome piece. I love it, and wish I had it, but I can't manage the $60 for a miniature that, let's face it, would likely never be used in a game (although painted it would be one hell of a display piece!)

For now, I'm still in for the core, and hope to maybe manage an option or two - I haven't spent an unnecessary cent this month to pull it off. I keep trying to argue myself out of pledging altogether, but then I remember how much it sucked watching Bones II ship without me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, I may forego the mythos expansion for the cemetery terrain. I really can't afford to spend over a hundred bucks on this, and the graveyard stuff will most definitely see play time with Malifaux/Warmahordes, while the cthulhu stuff would mostly likely not.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I always wanted to do a convention "Pirates of Penzance" game set in a graveyard, with bobbies and pirates chasing after randomly running daughters. I found bobbies, I found pirates, I found loads of graveyard pieces. Daughters in nightgowns? That was a lot harder to come by, and stalled my project.

But that's some fun fencing.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote:Daughters in nightgowns? That was a lot harder to come by, and stalled my project.
All the daughters being different models would be hard. Repeating models wouldn't be so tough:

Some of these might work, as would this. Whether it is a dress or nightgown depends a lot on the paint job.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:
hentzau wrote:Daughters in nightgowns? That was a lot harder to come by, and stalled my project.
All the daughters being different models would be hard. Repeating models wouldn't be so tough:

Some of these might work, as would this. Whether it is a dress or nightgown depends a lot on the paint job.
Cleavage is always a problem. Remember, these are the chaste (chased?) daughters of Major General Stanley Tremording.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire