For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

My votes were:

President: John Kerry (D)
Senate: Barbara Mikulski (D, MD)
House: B Cardin (D, MD)

There were a bunch of initiatives on the ballot. All of them were about spending money on several areas (Education, Environment, Economic development, what have you). I voted yes on most of them for the exception of a couple that didn't sound too urgent. heh. :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

President: Michael Badnarik (L)
State House: Joseph Driscoll (D)

All the other candidates were unopposed. I never vote for unopposed candidates.

The ballot question was something nonbinding about children and divorce, so I passed it up.

So much for democracy in Massachusetts. After all the talk and anguish, I filled in exactly two ovals, the first of which (POTUS) was merely symbollic.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Dramatist wrote:I voted

for President
George Bush (R)

for Congress
Ron Paul (R) also unoppesed, but a nice guy anyway.

no Senator in Texas, in fact about half my ballot had unoppsed races.
:shock:

You can't be more than a few miles from me. Of course, since it says Wharton, TX on your location, that would make sense ;)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Presidential Electors John F. Kerry/ John Edwards Democratic
United States Senator Ken Salazar Democratic
Representative to the 109th United States Congress - District 4 Stan Matsunaka Democratic
State Senate - District 17 Brandon C. Shaffer Democratic
Amendment 34 Shall there be an amendment to the Colorado constitution concerning recovery of damages relating to construction of real property improvements, and, in connection therewith, prohibiting laws that limit or impair a property owner's right to recover damages caused by a failure to construct an improvement in a good and workmanlike manner; defining "good and workmanlike manner" to include construction that is suitable for its intended purposes; and permitting exceptions for laws that limit punitive damages, afford governmental immunity, or impose time limits of specified minimum lengths on filing lawsuits? No.
Amendment 35 Should we raise taxes on cigarettes? (Colorado ranks 50th in current taxation of the smokes.) Yes.
Amendment 36 Shall there be an amendment to the Colorado constitution concerning popular proportional selection of presidential electors, and in connection therewith, creating procedures for allocating Colorado's electoral votes for president and vice-p[resident of the United States, base on the proportion of ballots that are cast in this state for each presidential ticket; making the terms of the proposed amendment effective so that popular proportional selection of presidential electors applies to the 2004 general elections; setting forth procedures and timelines that govern the certification of election results and the potential recounting of votes in elections for presidential elections and in the election on this proposed amendment; granting the Colorado supreme court original jurisdiction for the adjudication of all contests concerning presidential electors and requiring that such matters be heard and decided on an expedited basis; and authorizing the general assembly to enact legislation to change the manner of selecting presidential electors or any of the procedures contained in this amendment? Oh hell no.
Amendment 37 Should Xcel energy be forced to use renewable energy sources for 3% by 2007, and 10% by 2015 of Colorado's power needs, with caps on residential users Yes.
Referendum A Blah blah blah No.
Referendum B Get rid of the outdated crap in our State Constitution? Yes.
Referendum 4A FastTracks? Yes.
Referendum 4B Continue spending tax dollars on cultural crap? Yes.
County Issue 1A Boulder County open space should get more money? Yes.
County Issue 1B Boulder County needs its own fire-fighting helicopter? No.
County Issue 1C We collected too much in property taxes, can we redistribute it to various social needs folks? Yes.
City of Longmont Ballot Question 2A Shall we allow the PD and FD to unionize and therefore earn more money? No.
St. Vrain School District Ballot Issue 3A Schools need your dough. Spend it on them? Yes.

Find out where I paraphrased here (PDF warning).

~Neal
[edit:] Wow, "tiny" really is!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

President/Vice President - John Kerry/John Edwards
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Pres: Kerry
Senate: Boxer (D)
State Senate: Kristine Lang McDonald (D) - She's an IT person. I couldn't resist...

Selected referendoms:

Anything having to do with Indian Gaming - no
3 billion for Stem Cell research - yes
Open primaries - no
Force WalMart to offer health coverage - yes
Change 3 strikes law to violent felonies only - yes
Vegetable Man

Post by Vegetable Man »

President/Vice President: Abstained

Voted Republican on various local candidates.
Laura

Post by Laura »

President: Kerry

Senate: Boxer

A few initiatives:

Three strikes limitation: Yes
Funds for stem cell research: Yes
Indian and Non-tribal gambling expansion: NO
DNA sample collection on arrest: NO
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Kerry / Edwards.

Assorted democrat congresspersons.

The judge my best friend wants to work for.

The judge whose family I grew up with.

No on Ohio's anti-gay-marriage amendment.

Yes on a tax for the children's welfare services.

Yes to continue a tax on S corps.

Wish I could have voted for Obama. Maybe someday soon.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Meal, what do you think of Amendment 36 (proportional electors?) Do you think it's going to fly?
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know what Neal thinks, but given our current state of government, I think it's a horrible idea. All it does it take strength away from Colorado as an "influence" in the election. I don't know how many votes Colorado has, but if it say had eleven and 4 were likely to democrat and 3 were likely to go republican then the weight of the state is really only 6 six votes. Of course that is just my opinion. If the whole kitnkaboodle changed it would be one thing, but to be one state doing it is just a weakness. This is why I am upset that Michigan was one of a select few states who started putting term limits on their congress people. So much in congress is based on seniority. We have kissed that positioning and the need for our input goodbye. This would be OK in my book if we they system wasn't designed to kick you in the teeth for it.
Al

Post by Al »

President: Kerry/Edwards (D)
Senate: Bill Jones (R)
House: Darin Hunzeker (R)
State Senate: Larry Stirling (R)
State Assembly: Tricia Hunter (R)

Props (The big ones anyway):

64 - End California's "Sue anyone" (tm Mr. Fed) law: Yes
66 - Limit 3 strikes: No
69 - DNA fingerprinting: Yes
71 - Stem Cell bond: Yes
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

President: Kerry (D)

Senate : Feingold (D)

House: LeClair (D)
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

msteelers wrote:
No to the high speed rail system
Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!

"What about us braindead slobs?"
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

Kerry for POTUS

I voted and all Dem ticket for house and senate both state, and nation.
(just cant bring my self to vote for anyone that puts a fucking jesus fish on thier election propaganda.)

Voted against a school millage hike.
Voted for a bond increase they say will create jobs.... honestly not to sure on this one.
Voted against introducing descrimination into our constitution (or the sanctity of marrige amendment if you like to color your hate in pretty shades)
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Meghan wrote:Meal, what do you think of Amendment 36 (proportional electors?) Do you think it's going to fly?
Well I posted the entire text of that one (in tiny font) above. My response to it was "Oh hell no." I'm a dirty Electoral College OOer and I'm proud of it (even if my horse won the race in the least total time, but managed to get beat out on the splits last election). If the entire country switched at once to a modified EC system (such as Nebraska's, each district gets an EC vote, and then the state as a whole decides the last two EC votes) then I'd be okay with it. But with Colorado's proportional system, there are just too many things not to like: the impetus behind the implementation (to help out one particular horse), the marginilzation of the entire state (why would either candidate fight for one or two EC votes out of Colorado when there are bigger fishes to fry elsewhere?), the potential issues with EC vote break-downs if there is a third candidate.

That one was probably the easiest decision for me as a voter, and renewable energies (our Prop 37) is one of the few things I actually donate money to every month (go Enviornment Colorado!) and a field in which I have worked.

I haven't read other responses (although I saw LordMortis chimed in right below your request), but I hope Prop 36 goes down and goes down BIG so that we won't see other attempts at monkeying with future presidential elections along these lines in the future.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Flatlander

Post by Flatlander »

President : John Kerry/John Edwards (D) note- first time I've ever voted Democrat in a presidential election. Congrats Mr. Bush, you've created another jaded independant!

Congress: Charlie Stenholm (D) He's a long serving conservative Democrat who got screwed over big time by Tom Delay's shameless Gerymandering of Texas' congressional districts.

Stenholm's district disapeared last year and now he's having to run against Delay's henchman Randy Naugebauer in a 70% Republican district.

Perhaps the unkindest cut of all for this pro-lifer who has had a very long conservative voting record is that he's been tarred and feathered by the GOP mudslinging campaign as a pro-abortion tax and spend liberal.

Local races: Shocked at how many local offices including Justices of the Peace, Constables, and Sherriff are running completely unopposed.

Propositions etc: Just a local one for setting up a citizen oversight committee for our electric utility, hopefully protecting it from further plundering by our city council.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

President: Ralph Nader
Senate: Patty Murray (D)
House: Jim McDermott (D)
Governor: Christine Gregoire (D)

Initiative Measure No. 872 concerns elections for partisan offices.

This measure would allow voters to select among all candidates in a primary. Ballots would indicate candidates’ party preference. The two candidates receiving most votes advance to the general election, regardless of party. (two-party primary? don't *think so) = NO

Initiative Measure No. 884 concerns dedicating funds designated for educational purposes.

This measure would create an education trust fund for smaller classes, extended learning programs, certain salary increases, preschool access, and expanded college enrollments and scholarships, funded by increasing retail sales tax by 1%.
Should this measure be enacted into law? = YES

AUTHORIZING ADDITIONAL ELECTRONIC SCRATCH TICKET MACHINES

Initiative Measure No. 892 concerns authorizing additional “electronic scratch ticket machines” to reduce property taxes.

This measure would authorize licensed non-tribal gambling establishments to operate the same type and number of machines as tribal governments, with a portion of tax revenue generated used to reduce state property taxes.

Should this measure be enacted into law? = NO

REFERENDUM MEASURE 55
CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Votes cast by the 2004 Legislature on final passage: Senate: Yeas, 27; Nays, 22; Absent, 0; Excused, 0. House: Yeas, 51; Nays, 46; Absent, 0; Excused, 1.

The legislature passed Engrossed Second Substitute House Bill 2295 (ESSHB 2295) concerning charter public schools.

This bill would authorize charter public schools and would set conditions on operations. Charter schools would be operated by qualified nonprofit corporations, under contracts with local education boards, and allocated certain public funds.

Should this bill be:

Approved [ ] Rejected [X]

INITIATIVE MEASURE 297
MIXED RADIOACTIVE AND NONRADIOACTIVE HAZARDOUS WASTE

Initiative Measure No. 297 concerns “mixed” radioactive and nonradioactive hazardous waste.

This measure would add new provisions concerning “mixed” radioactive and nonradioactive hazardous waste, requiring cleanup of contamination before additional waste is added, prioritizing cleanup, providing for public participation and enforcement through citizen lawsuits.

Should this measure be enacted into law?

Yes [X] No [ ]
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

President/Vice President: Michael Badnarik and Richard V. Campagna (L) - Protest vote

U.S. Senator (IL): Jerry Kohn (L) - We all know Obama's going to run away with it. The fun is seeing if we can get Keyes to finish third!

Congress (IL - 4th District): Jake Witmer (L) - From his website, the guy seems like a nutjob (and moreso than your typical Libertarian Party nuttiness), but why bother wasting my vote on the major parties?

State Senator (2nd Legislative District): A Democrat ran unopposed - no vote

State General Assembly (4th Representative District: A Democrat ran unopposed - no vote

Commissioners of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (Vote for 3): See the kind of crap we have to deal with in Cook County? Why is this an elected position? I voted for the three Republicans, even though the three Democrats will likely win by default.

State's Attorney of Cook County: Richard A. Devine (D) - Endorsed by the Republican-leaning Chicago Tribune and by my friend in the State's Attorney's office who is a staunch Republican. Seems like he's doing a good job.

Cook County Recorder of Deeds: John H. Cox (R) - Running on a platform to eliminate this position!

Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County: Judith A. Kleiderman (R) - She's apparently a funeral arranger, but allegations of corruption don't surround her like they do the Democratic incumbent.

Judge Of The Circuit Court - Cook County Judicial Circuit - There were five total races, with four of them being uncontested. I voted for the four Democrats in the uncontested races, since the Chicago Bar Association said they were Qualified. I voted for the Democrate (Michelle Jordan) in the contested race, because the CBA said she was Qualified, and her opponent was Not Recommended. (I pay enough in dues to the CBA, I might as well make use of their judicial recommendations.)

There were retention votes for three Illinois Appellate Court judges, and 71 Circuit Court judges. I voted to retain all but four of the Circuit Court judges, in accordance with CBA recommendations. The four not recommended candidates were Dorothy F. Jones, William D. O'Neal, Susan Jeanine McDunn, and Dennis James Morrissey.

The only question on the ballot was:

Shall the Illinois State Government provide adequate funding for comprehensive and appropriate substance abuse treatment for any Illinois state resident requesting services from a licensed provider, community-based organization or medical care facility within the state?

I voted No, since that just sounds like a bottomless pit of taxpayer money.