TheWorldVotes.org final poll results!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gellar

Post by gellar »

is_dead wrote:
gellar wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:Tony Blair won his elections and John Howard easily won his.

The 'everyone in the world hates us' meme is carried way too far.

I wonder how many of those people know or care about the 100 billion in UN graft, or know that Saddam was using French, Russian, and Chinese weapons obtained post 1991. How many of them could tell you what UN resolution 1441 said?

I think it's just easier to think the US is a big bully. Especially since the other bully isn't on the playground any more.
So what you're saying is that if Bush wins the election, America fully supports his actions in Iraq, or if that Kerry wins the election, America fully believes that we've been horribly wrong in invading? Election results are hardly a good indicator. There are a vast number of other reasons to vote/not vote for a candidate other than one action.

For example, I actually think we didn't totally screw the pooch in going after Iraq, I just think we handled it in a retarded fashion. Particularly the post "victory" activities.

I agree that much of the world hates the US just because it's the US. However, I don't think the current administration has done anything to help our standing with the "undecideds" of the globe. Quite the opposite, in fact.

gellar
Completely wrong dude, I loved the US in the times of Clinton, and intended to move there to make a good living. Today I'm willing to spend 20000 dollars a year (roughly 35%) on not living in the US, because of Bush.

That's a good quote about the bully of the world, but my analogy is different:

Have you ever known someone who never got along with anyone, and maybe implied or said that the problem isn't him, it was everyone else? Maybe a person at work who quit, complaining that "all you guys are assholes, all of you." And you couldn't help but think to yourself 'why does that guy think everyone around him is an asshole? Doesn't that say something more about him than all of us?'

Well, the Republican party is that guy but on the world stage. They might say that everyone else in the world, who outnumber them 100 to 1, are jerks and idiots, but maybe its time they pause and ask themselves, wait a minute, maybe the problem isn't with them....

notgonnahappen
Uh... how does your post have anything to do with mine? I think we're in agreement, yet you write like we're not...

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Grifman:

That article Neal quoted was, I think, written by an American. Just a clarification.

As for your points:

- Proof for the WMD: They believed Saddam had WMD, yeah, but nobody had proof. This could also be seen when Powell gave his presentation to the UN which was shaky at best, IMHO.

-Removing Saddam:
I definitely don't think it was wrong to remove Saddam. The reasons given for that however : WMD and Al Qaida support were pretty much non-existent as it turns out after the fact.
If Bush had come out straight and said the human rights violation in Iraq pissed him off and he was going to save those Iraqis, hey, I'd have agreed with him. You could wonder then why he wouldn't invade any of the other countries with human rights violations, but still. Going after Iraq in the hunt for WMD and Al Qaida was bogus though.

-Bully Analogy
While the analogy might be weak concerning the Iraq war, it's more accurate on other subjects : The World Court, the refusal to acknowledge international law in the treatment of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay (and yes, RM9, I know you don't agree with that, but that is MY opinion ;) ). The writer of this article (an american)probably didn't intend those subjects to be covered by his analogy though.

- Spain, Indonesia, Arab World
Other countries should worry about what is thought about them as well. And yes, they might not care too much that people call them a terrorist state. And yes, it might seem odd to you that the USA has got to be sensitive then, but really...you've called that upon yourself. The USA is the land of the free, the USA takes the lead in fighting terrorism on the world. The other countries make either no or only half-hearted qualms about what they really are.
Should we be thankful for the US, and what it has done and is doing in the world? Yeah, definitely, but does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to at least voice our opinion on how the US does these things?

-Threatening Nuclear Intervention
You haven't, and I think this point from the article is indeed a bit shaky. On the other hand, you could reason that the simple fact that you have nuclear weapons can be enough of a threat. (Not in Civilization though. Even when you told that damn Ghandhi that YOUR WORDS ARE BACKED BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS, he'd still invade you. No, not bitter ;) )

As for the Bosnia situation: there's no doubt that things went totally wrong there, but there were thousands of European soldiers already present before the US started deploying. Still, point taken.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Napoleon wrote:
-Removing Saddam:
I definitely don't think it was wrong to remove Saddam. The reasons given for that however : WMD and Al Qaida support were pretty much non-existent as it turns out after the fact.
If Bush had come out straight and said the human rights violation in Iraq pissed him off and he was going to save those Iraqis, hey, I'd have agreed with him. You could wonder then why he wouldn't invade any of the other countries with human rights violations, but still. Going after Iraq in the hunt for WMD and Al Qaida was bogus though.

-
Surely you aren't naive enough to believe that anyone in the Bush administration cared about the human rights abuses in Iraq? That's a particularly funny thought, given all the holdovers from Reagan and Bush Sr - men who were cheerfully trading satellite intelligence and biological agents with Saddam when he was gassing the Kurds and persecuting his own people. The human rights abuses were an afterthought, tacked on by the administration to their "grave and gathering threat" bullshit sold to terrified Americans. A very convenient afterthought when all of their other justifications turned out to be bogus.

Of course, none of the above were the real reasons for invading Iraq - least of all Saddam's butchery. Strategic positioning, resource control, security of Israel, all tied into neocon ideological fantasies and all intended to make a lot of money for well-positioned corporations.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just because there are multiple reasons for a war doesn't mean you can pick and choose which reasons we invaded to fit your world view and discard the rest.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Napoleon wrote:Grifman:

That article Neal quoted was, I think, written by an American. Just a clarification.
Yes, I knew that but he was speaking of foreign perceptions of the US, right? :)
As for your points:

- Proof for the WMD: They believed Saddam had WMD, yeah, but nobody had proof. This could also be seen when Powell gave his presentation to the UN which was shaky at best, IMHO.
They had as much proof as could be reasonably obtained given that EVERYONE believed that Sadaam had such weapons and was trying to hide them. The point isn't the level of proof though - it is that EVERY OTHER major Western power believed Sadaam had them. The point is that Bush didn't make this up - unless you want to believe that the UK, Germany, France, Italy intelligence were also in on the game. Changing to discussing the amount of proof is changing the argument - Homey don't play that game.
-Removing Saddam:
But again, EVERYONE said he had WMD so you can hardly blame the US for the intelligence failures of everyone else can you? Yes, US intelligence screwed up, both so did every other Western intelligence agency. Again, your point only holds if Bush used WMD as a pretext - but that doesn't hold unless you believe the UK, France, Germany, Italy were also lying.
Again, you ignore the fact already stated that EVERYONE thought he had WMD. Given that fact, you can't blame Bush for acting on that COMMONLY held position. Yes, Bush has tried to change the argument after the fact due to the lack of WMD, but that doesn't mean the initial decision to invade was wrong based upon the belief that he had WMD at the time. You can't argue that Bush was wrong unless you just don't think he should have invaded because of WMD. But I haven't seen you make that argument. You keep acting like Bush made this up but the evidence from both Clinton and other Western govts proves that point wrong.
-Bully Analogy
While the analogy might be weak concerning the Iraq war, it's more accurate on other subjects : The World Court,
Well, this is just a fundamental difference between American and the rest of the world. We oftentimes barely trust our own govt, much less a foreign based "semi" govt authority in which we have no say. Americans don't trust authority, especially foreign authority. We don't vote for the International Court, nor the people that choose it's members. That is just a core difference in national/international perspectives. Maybe Euros need to be more "sensitive" and understand the US outlook for once :)
the refusal to acknowledge international law in the treatment of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay (and yes, RM9, I know you don't agree with that, but that is MY opinion ;) ).
Please point me to international law regarding the treatment of prisoners not working for any government but a terrorist organization. I don't think such international law exists. The Geneva convention deals with relations between states at war - Al Quaida is not a recognized state last time I checked.
- Spain, Indonesia, Arab World
Other countries should worry about what is thought about them as well. And yes, they might not care too much that people call them a terrorist state. And yes, it might seem odd to you that the USA has got to be sensitive then, but really...you've called that upon yourself. The USA is the land of the free, the USA takes the lead in fighting terrorism on the world. The other countries make either no or only half-hearted qualms about what they really are.
So can you explain to me in terms my simple American mind can understand why the Euros are so upset? Why they seem to think the US is the greatest threat to peace in the world - I mean that statement seems utterly ludicrous on the fact of it but that's what I hear.

So give me some beef here. What are all you Euros so ticked off about? I really don't honestly understand.
Should we be thankful for the US, and what it has done and is doing in the world? Yeah, definitely, but does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to at least voice our opinion on how the US does these things?
Sure you can speak, did I say otherwise? I just don't understand the Euro attitude. They bitch and moan when the US doesn't act, then they bitch and moan when the US does act. We can't seem to please you people, so why should we try?

I remember all the Euros pleading for the US to send troops to Bosnia, pleading with us to intervene in Kosovo. Most Americans I think thought why? - that's a European problem, why should we put our people at risk, let the Euros handle the problem in their backyard. But no we have to go bail them out again. It has to cut both ways and it doesn't seem that it does to many Americans.
-Threatening Nuclear Intervention
You haven't, and I think this point from the article is indeed a bit shaky. On the other hand, you could reason that the simple fact that you have nuclear weapons can be enough of a threat. (Not in Civilization though. Even when you told that damn Ghandhi that YOUR WORDS ARE BACKED BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS, he'd still invade you. No, not bitter ;) )
See this is what gets me. You all seemed to love living under the US nuclear umbrella during the Cold War. It certainly kept the Soviets at bay when the Euros couldn't/wouldn't maintain a large enough force to fight off a Soviet conventional invasion. Think about it - we pledged to defend Europe by putting the US at risk of a Soviet nuclear attack by saying an attack on Europe (no immediate threat to us) was the same as an attack on the US. We were willing to sacrifice OUR cities to save YOURS. Now you want to damn us for the same nuclear shield that saved your hides. This reveals the hypocrisy of Europe to me.
As for the Bosnia situation: there's no doubt that things went totally wrong there, but there were thousands of European soldiers already present before the US started deploying. Still, point taken.
European troops under a UN flag that did nothing. No offense but UN peacekeepers were worth less than nothing - they allowed the Serbs to murder hundreds if not thousands right outside their compound in Srebrenica. It was a travesty.

Grifman