10 Hours of Walking in Paris as a Jew

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Re: 10 Hours of Walking in Paris as a Jew

Post by tgb »

Parenthetically, did anyone else happen to notice that the Jewish unicorn in the picture had the tip of his horn cut off?

Just saying.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Defiant wrote:Edit: Wait, you're saying people only have freedom to practice religion on Private Property? (be it your own, a fellow supporter or that of a church/synagogue/etc?) Really?
Yup. I would take issue with people attempting to practice their religion on public property or private property without proper permission.

tl;dr: No one owes you a venue.
So then you think he should have taken his Kippah off?

And just to be explicit, I'm talking about public forums - the same forums where we are allowed to express our right to free speech. After all, why should our right to free speech be limited to communication directed at people?

That doesn't mean that permission isn't required, but rather that it shouldn't be limited by whether it's religious or not. For example, a library can reasonably limit the right of free speech based on volume. But a student has the right to pray in school:
Students have the right to engage in voluntary individual prayer that is not coercive and does not substantially disrupt the school's educational mission and activities.
http://archive.adl.org/religion_ps_2004/prayer.html

Contraints on public places, even for the use of religion, require narrowly drawn, reasonable standards:
"In those cases this Court condemned statutes and ordinances which required that permits be obtained from local officials as a prerequisite to the use of public places, on the grounds that a license requirement constituted a prior restraint on freedom of speech, press and religion, and, in the absence of narrowly drawn, reasonable and definite standards for the officials to follow, must be invalid."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niemotko_v._Maryland
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Defiant wrote:Edit: Wait, you're saying people only have freedom to practice religion on Private Property? (be it your own, a fellow supporter or that of a church/synagogue/etc?) Really?
Yup. I would take issue with people attempting to practice their religion on public property or private property without proper permission.

tl;dr: No one owes you a venue.
I take issue with you practicing your fashion style in public. no one owes you that venue.

its not a matter of being owed a venue. no one is being forced to endure it. you dont like it, you have choices to avoid it. key word being choice here.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zekester wrote:its not a matter of being owed a venue. no one is being forced to endure it. you dont like it, you have choices to avoid it. key word being choice here.
Cool, I'm breaking into your house and performing a series of intricate dance routines set to the music of REO Speedwagon. It's your responsibility to avoid me if you don't like it.
He won. Period.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

who's talking about inside your, i.e. private, house?

nevermind: hepcat deleted his post after I responded.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I get annoyed by those roadside memorials, flowers/teddy bears/etc, and I'd have them removed immediately if it was up to me, but also I don't mess with them or vandalize them in any way. Live and let live, those things annoy me but they don't actually interfere with my life.

I see religion in public places the same way. A kid praying in class? As long as he or she isn't bugging anyone I don't see the problem. ALL the kids in class being told it's time to pray? I'd very much be against something like that.

So someone can walk around decked out in whichever way their religion demands and I won't care. I would feel stupid to be someone like the person in the video who yelled out support for Palestine at this guy. Some random guy walking down the street, just because he's Jewish(or you think he is), what does he have to do with anything? If all you can do is yell stuff at random people on the street that doesn't empower you, it only makes public how impotent you are.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

gotta love those who expect tolerance for their views or practices being intolerant of others :roll:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zekester wrote:gotta love those who expect tolerance for their views or practices being intolerant of others :roll:
You have no idea what you're talking about and no one who has ever uttered those words ever did.

I have a thread from probably 8-10 years ago on this very topic.

I was told I was imagining it. Every time I see it written out (as above) it re-affirms that I wasn't.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

GreenGoo wrote:
Zekester wrote:gotta love those who expect tolerance for their views or practices being intolerant of others :roll:
You have no idea what you're talking about and no one who has ever uttered those words ever did.

I have a thread from probably 8-10 years ago on this very topic.

I was told I was imagining it. Every time I see it written out (as above) it re-affirms that I wasn't.
Utterly useless post.

Try substance next time. Like this:

"You have no idea what you're talking about" -elaborate

"no one who has ever uttered those words ever did" -elaborate

"I have a thread from probably 8-10 years ago on this very topic." -ok?

"I was told I was imagining it. Every time I see it written out (as above) it re-affirms that I wasn't" -again, elaborate
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zekester wrote:who's talking about inside your, i.e. private, house?

nevermind: hepcat deleted his post after I responded.
I did? :?
He won. Period.