Password Manager PC and Iphone Recommendation.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Enigma

Password Manager PC and Iphone Recommendation.

Post by Enigma »

I'm using an old program called Multipass http://gbsoft.free.fr/multipass-passwords-software.html on my pc to store my now hundreds of various passwords. The program is ok but very limited. I'd like to be able to have these passwords on my Iphone and also my laptop. The other thing I want is for it to sync across all three platforms when I make a change. I've seen Keepass and it looks pretty good, but I guess I would have to manually transfer the master file to my iphone and laptop through like dropbox or something. I'd really like something that has automated sync. Any ideas?
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Password Manager PC and Iphone Recommendation.

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

KeePass on the PC and MiniKeePass for the iPhone (which includes support for Dropbox synching).

EDIT: Here's a write-up on using MiniKeePass with Dropbox.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

All I can say is that I have been using and loving LastPass on my PC based computers for years. Since I generate a unique (and completely unrememberable) PW for many sites, using LastPass, I am hosed when I try to do anything on iOS.

So I recently plunked down for the premium version which allows you to download and use their app on your iphone. Cool, I thought, a chance for me to give back AND cut down on frustrating Safari sessions.

Wrong. It's absolutely horrible because you EITHER have to install and use a bookmarklet in normal Safari browsing, which then takes you to a LastPass browser....that doesn't work, or you just their crappy browser to start your web session.

For instance, I need to log into Amazon on my iPhone (for something that is not available in their app). I know that LP has memorized the user and pass, so I go to the page, then I have to click on the Safari bookmarks icon, and select the previously installed GO TO LASTPASS bookmarklet, which opens up the Amazon page in the LP browser. But it doesn't have the password filled in, only the username. Useless!

About two hours after I realized how shittily this system is (probably not just LastPasses' fault, I am sure Safari's intentional limitations are also at fault here), I go to the App Store and see a FREE version of the LastPass tabbed browser?! WTF.

So, I plan to email them soon and let them know I don't want my money back, because I love their PC based apps, and couldn't do without them, but their iOS implementation is absolutely worthless (or worse), and will not be renewing the premium version when it comes up.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

I'll second KeePass. It is all kinds of wonderful, though I haven't used the iOS version I have been successfully using the PC/Android version with dropbox for years across 2 pcs and 2 android devices simultaneously. It also generates passwords if you so choose on the PC, I don't think the phone version does.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Anonymous Bosch

Arcanis wrote:I'll second KeePass. It is all kinds of wonderful, though I haven't used the iOS version I have been successfully using the PC/Android version with dropbox for years across 2 pcs and 2 android devices simultaneously. It also generates passwords if you so choose on the PC, I don't think the phone version does.
I believe MiniKeePass (which is arguably the best of the various iOS KeePass apps) allows you to generate new passwords.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Does KeePass automatically fill in your userid and passwords on desktop and/or iOS when you enter a site that it "knows"?
Anonymous Bosch

Carpet_pissr wrote:Does KeePass automatically fill in your userid and passwords on desktop and/or iOS when you enter a site that it "knows"?
Not in the same way that LastPass does. But you can acheive something similar on your PC by using a global hotkey and the auto-type feature of KeePass. Alas, I don't believe you can use auto-type on an iOS device. If you do intend to use auto-type, it's also strongly recommended to enable the Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation option in KeePass, so as to minimise the risk of keyloggers being able to log auto-typed usernames and passwords.

This page walks you through the process of using KeePass auto-type to log into a web page automatically.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:KeePass on the PC and MiniKeePass for the iPhone (which includes support for Dropbox synching).

EDIT: Here's a write-up on using MiniKeePass with Dropbox.
Ok, looks good so far. I haven't had a chance to install yet. Thanks !

Well this is a long shot, but does anyone know how I can export my data from MULTIPASS? It doesn't appear to have an export option anywhere and a google search turns up nothing.
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!